Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Seriously gently caress pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Devorum posted:

I have 5K XP left to go on my Myogi, but I'm so done with this ship. I'm trying to save my free XP to skip the Colorado, but it looks like I'm about to spend some to get to the Kongo.
Dont. Myogi is poo poo but its not complete poo poo. Compared to Wyoming it actually half-good. 5k free exp is not worth it imo.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Dont know about turret traverse and all but ROF increase increases you DPM by 25% and that seems pretty significant.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Yeah I noticed it as well. You definitely getting more for killing one DD then one CA,

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Thread I got a question.

So Murmansk. Omaha C hull with better torpedoes, better AA, and amazing rudder shift time. Even better version of already strong ship. Why its artillery rated 50 while it rated 40 on Omaha? They seem to have identical guns.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Fizzil posted:

It gets a spotter plane that increases its range, this will increase its artillery rating in the stats. Any upgrades that increase range or accuracy will do that, i think.

That does make sense. I had situations where I used spotter for great effect.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Can a cruiser citadel battleship at all? With plunging fire or something?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
So if I understand correctly with 8 inchers it can be done on battleship 2-3 tiers lower then yours. Thanks. Another question. Am I right thinking that Cleveland's guns are low velocity and so their penetration is bad and so it not really worth to shoot AP at any time?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
I got one Solo Warrior. Not impressive like it sounds. Two empty carriers with deathwish are not a challenge.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Stalkerr posted:

Woo... 3 days of play and I just got my Phoenix. Any tips? Going to grind my St. Louis a bit more to elite it, and then it'll just get played once a day or so for the 1.5X. Love that ship.

I spent all my ship+free XP getting the Phoenix, so I'm going to be running stock for awhile until I grind up enough for the next hull upgrade. Ideally, just a few good games should do it.

What I did in Phoenix a lot is constantly changing direction. You have much less guns then St. Louis but you are very maneuverable and fast ship. With final hull you will always have four guns pointed at the target no matter what kind of maneuvers you making. Also you are supreme DD killer so use it to get money and XP.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
What 4-point skill I take on Furutaka? Advanced Fire Training and plane skill are obviously out so fire chance skill?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Gort posted:

I always hated fighting Murmansks

They are OP :shrug:

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

ZiggyXX posted:

Just unlocked the furukaka, oh joy.

Eh its not that bad. Its capable. It is my 3rd highest average experience per battle according to Warshipstats. Just play smart with it.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
13km range hurts Furry a lot. Its not dance at max range ship because its range is crap. Everything but DDs outrange you so you gotta use map features to introduce opponents to 203mm goodness. Omaha doesnt have to do all that. You can dance and fart out shells from 15km in relative safety. Of course people think Furutaka is poo poo. You got to think what you are doing with it.

EDIT: Also Aoba is awesome.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
People get astonished when they get citadeled for 20k damage it because in my experience like 90% of cruiser drivers never shoot AP. Me personally after derping in 2 cruisers that were shooting HE and for some reason insistent to show me their broadside and me just decimating them AP after that I tend to keep AP loaded on cruiser as default and really keeping an eye on my broadside.

Oh and about Myogi. I tried to like it. I liked its range and I liked its speed. But IMO in the end of the day six main guns on battleship is just :flaccid:

EDIT:I dislike Cleveland as well. That slow shell speed drives me crazy. I miss torpedoes to. And yes you are cruiser your job is to kill destroyers. Chase him down, kill him. After all safest you can be against DD is with your prow pointed at this DD.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Night10194 posted:

Then you get the Kongo and it is, like the Aoba and the Taco, 'That ship you were just in except with absolutely all the problems fixed.'
Kinda I suppose. I enjoyed Kongo a lot. I think that gap between Myogi and Kongo is larger then between Taco and Aoba. Or maybe its because I still was learning aiming when I played Myogi.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Robo Turnus posted:

I'm new to the game and really garbage. Can anyone spell out in more concrete terms than the op where citadels are? Is it like war thunder where if you know what you are doing you can do critical or disabling damage in one salvo so long as you aim it right? I keep getting hits of 3 or 4 shells and only doing about 750 damage (in a tier 2 CL). If i'm within brawling range am i better served with he or ap?
Citadels afaik are generally under smokestacks and turrets. If you are in brawling range and enemy is broadside to you use AP. If its prow or stern to you use HE. Dont use AP against St. Louis. It generally useless in my experience and you kinda want to blow up its guns and set it on fire with HE.

If you playing on EU you might want to watch this replay of me in Murmansk. 2000xp game and imo its good demonstration of AP and HE use. http://depositfiles.com/files/fh4j4dfdk

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 10, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Zotix posted:

The Dresden just shits out rounds doesn't it. I decided to give the german CR line a go last night, and that ship just outclasses all of the other ships in that bracket. Do German's keep the same consistency throughout the rest of the tiers or is that the golden point for them?

making GBS threads out rounds doesnt help much when those rounds do nothing. 105mm tends to do nothing. German tiers 2-4 are worst in their respective tiers. Their tier 5 is arguably best in its tier.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Kuntz posted:

You can at least achieve a steady stream of damage with German 105mm HE, it's their AP that does nothing.

IDK I saw Kolberg land like 20 HE hits and do like 300 damage. Yes he was finishing up 300 HP Wyoming but still.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Hazdoc posted:

Well, it should affect all AP, not just BB AP. All armor was affected, which in turn should affect all AP shells.

It seems to affect all shells. Today I saw Dresden doing citadel hit with HE shell.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're not as good as ships at their native tier, but they have a massive credit bonus, and the lower-tiered ships you can reliably play while off premium time and still are almost guaranteed a profit.

Pre-Konigsberg Murmansk was best tier5 cruiser. Arguably it still is.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 27, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

PerniciousKnid posted:

But I like my T3 Russian DD a lot, it might be my favorite boat right now.
I like Derpski a lot. Yes your torpedoes have 3km range but things at your tier are usually not accurate and/or not fast enough to prevent you from closing the distance. When you close the distance your 10 torpedoes with 20 seconds reload time make everything die. It got best guns among its peers as well I think.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Sanguine posted:

I'm just coming back after a few month break - what's the consensus on the :godwinning: cruisers and :ussr: destroyers now they've been around for a bit?

Are the german cruisers still considered to flimsy to be really worth it?
German cruisers past tier 4 are support ships. Flimsy armor, somewhat sluggish because their rudder shift times are bad. On other hand they got best range compared to their peers, they have amazing AP shells and crappy HE performance. Konigsberg seems to be strongest one out of them compared to opposition.

Personally I love Russian DDs. Fast with great guns. Longest range on DD guns. Torpedoes are short ranged but you are a gunboat. Kill every other DD that stupid enough to be seen by you, annoy the hell of enemy CAs and BBs.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Magni posted:

So according to the WoWs forums, the Karlsruhe is a bad ship. That was my first match in her, with the modules unlocked with free xp.

WoWS forums are not wrong.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Magni posted:

So, how do nazi cruisers and russian DDs work anyway? You know, outside the german T2-3 and russian T2-4 seeming to be complete junk. (Seriously, what are the Derzki and Izyaslav supposed to do outside of suicide-charging other ships?)

Derpski and Easy supposed to shoot guns a lot. You meet enemy DD you shoot it and kill it. And they are not junk. I liked both of those ships. Russian DDs are gunboats with torpedoes for good ambush. Russian DDs have best guns out of DD lines and they are speediest buggers. German cruisers are support ships. Little armor, sluggish rudder, bad HE shells. On other hand they have best AP shells and best range out of their peers. Konigsberg is arguably best tier 5 CA.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Magni posted:

Okay, whoever gave me advice to play the Izyaslav as a gunboat, thank you. God, this tzarist rustbucket is hilarious. I'm bullying cruisers with it. :stare:

If you switch to AP when bullying thin-skinned cruisers like Tenryu, Kuma and Phoenix you can outright kill them with couple of good volleys.

demonR6 posted:

Derzki is not bad for a tier three when fully upgraded and a good commander. People at that tier are surprisingly unaware of what happens when you let a DD in close enough to unload 10 torpedoes on you and it can reload before you have time to react well. The dude chasing you has cause to worry because you can unload on it too. I dumped 6 into a South Carolina sank it while the remaining 4 went to a Wickes who was pursuing me, sank it too.

What sucks is you have to get up close and personal else the 3km range on them means poo poo. But you can unload volley after volley without a care in the world almost.
Generally, in my experience, you have pretty good chances to close the gap in Derpski. Kawachi and South Carolina just cannot reliably hit you. St.Louis is very dangerous but it can be ambushed and then its not avoiding point-blank torpedo wall. And it feels like you outshoot Tenryu specially if it shows you broadside. It has 20 seconds torpedo reload. It is very very dangerous ship if sailed smart.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there an easy way to know which ships I can AP? Before starting a match I'd like to make a list of who is vulnerable in the ship I'm driving.
Good thing that only cruisers go on this list. I dont have high tier ships unlocked so I dont know if the rule holds up but AFAIK any cruiser can citadel another cruiser of same tier with exception of St.Loius and Cleveland . St.Loius has practically battleship armor, Cleveland has bizarrely placed and well armored citadels. German cruisers are least armored ships, USN best armored with exception of Phoenix and Pensacola that are not well armored and IJN are in the middle so IJN cruisers can angle armor better but still can be easily penetrated if it shows flat broadside. Now while DDs generally shoot HE Russian DDs can citadel cruisers of its tier. USN DDs guns are smaller caliber then peer DDs of Russian line and so penetrations might be more iffy on USN cruisers with exception of Phoenix. IJN DDs guns are for defense. If you in position that you have to use your guns you are probably dead whatever you load in them.

EDIT:To expand a bit about IJN DD guns. Its not like you never shoot them. If you can secure a kill you do it, if you can help pile some more damage on a cruiser that busy fighting with another cruiser you shoot them. It just that you dont go into gun duel expecting to win it. The guns have atrocious reload times with atrocious turn rates.

Magni posted:

With the Gnevny, yeah. Just fuckin' erased a poor Omaha that blundered into me around a corner with those 130mm guns while he panicked and tried to torp me. Tried the same with the Izzy earlier, but her 102mm guns aren't quite up to that with any kind of reliability.
Yes I think Izy will have problems penning Omaha. Izy's peers though like a butter. :)

Sharzak posted:

OK. I just barely unlocked the tech tree. Is there a good first ship to go for? Or at least any in particular to avoid?
Go for USN cruiser line and IJN destroyer line. Play with those and then branch out to whatever. IMO those are line to play as you learn the game. USN cruisers considered to be strong up to tier 7, IJN DDs have torpedo ranges longer then range they getting spotted.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 31, 2015

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Pacra posted:

As a correction - Cleveland citadels have been for the most part fixed and should be in line with the rest of the USN cruiser line - somewhat harder to pen than other boats, but still doable.
I have bad history trying to citadel Cleveland. To be honest it is strongest tier 6 CA by far. Its like its peers dont really have many chances to citadel it. To reliably citadel you need to close up range a bit. I doubt that Nurnberg will citadel Cleveland's 127mm of armor from 15km, Aoba might on account of 8 inchers but I doubt it as well. And closing up on not distracted Cleveland is suicide.

Pacra posted:

And you mean strong up to tier 6, not including tier 7, the Pensacola.
Yes. Not including tier 7.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
1500+ xp in losing game? Eh. Try 2500+ xp with 6 medals.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Dayum

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

demonR6 posted:

For me though that is a damned good game and they don't come often when you are an average player in this environment where you may or may not get a team of droolers on either side.
I did not mean that this was not a impressive game. You obviously did very well. I meant that the better you do in losing game the more disheartening it is in a way.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Blinks77 posted:

Yeah, i just burnt a Bogue to death from across the map using that. goota get those fires. Only anther.. oooh.. 280 to go.

Murmansk may well be my favorite ship in the game. It's just so hilariously silly for it's tier.

Fires for ships with tits mission? Arent those must be done with tier 6 ship minimum?

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 13, 2016

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, which is why I only have 12 destroyer kills instead of 25. When I was queuing in my 6s earlier today it was generally 2 carriers - 4 battleships - 35 cruisers - 4 destroyers within my range.
Those seem to be more or less usual numbers on EU here. I finished 30 DDs mission last week though. Thank gods for Ognevoi.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Bob Mundon posted:

Having fun in the Pheonix, although wondering if I should be using HE or AP on battleships at max range? I was thinking plunging fire may punch through, but it seems not to very much. With the 6" guns even at max range do you guys normally use HE against armored targets?

You might pen the superstructure but you better try to set BBs on fire. Use HE. Two ships with 6" guns you want to use AP against BB are Konigsberg and Nurnberg. Their HE shells are crappy while AP is better then IJN and USN shells. And in my experience Konigsberg is better at penning with AP. I think its because it meets lower tier ships.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 16, 2016

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Yes I citadeled Wyoming once as well. Konigsberg AP is very good compared to opposition it meets. I am shooting AP even at DDs. I let them angle and then shells wont overpen. When it works I practically kill them in a volley.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Weltlich posted:

I'm just getting into boats, and after reading through the OP and doing some cursory searches through the thread, here's my two questions:

2) I'm going for US CVs, Japanese BBs, German CAs, and Soviet DDs right now. Priortizing the BBs and CVs until I have enough free expedience to vault across the Karlsruhe, which sounds like a turd. Does this sound about right for a new player? Or, has some patch in the past 5 months shifted the strategy (like how the E-100 used to be the go-to tank in WoT, but now sucks due to nerfs and power-creep.)
IMO best lines for new player to start are USN CAs and IJN DDs. US CA line is very strong tiers 3-6, IJN DDs are torpedo boats that are never seen (in theory). USN line will teach you general gameplay like firing and hitting, HE/AP use and angling of armor. IJN DD line will teach you more specific things like sight range, smoke use, more strategic gameplay and will give you some insight on what opposing DDs will do when you are in CA or BB. Cant say much about CVs, I dont play those. IJN BB line is ok it got Kongo at tier 5 and that ship is great. German CAs past Karlsruhe are support cruisers. Low HP, little armor, best range. Be prepared to pass most of your time at your max range raining shots at opposition. Going into brawl on German CA is generally suicide. Russian DDs are gunboats so use your guns and use torpedos for ambush.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Is HE on Yorck as anemic as it on preceding German cruisers?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

I've finished the ARP Kongo missions, but still only have 15 destroyer kills, because there aren't enough of them playing, and there's always a race on to kill the few that are.
Try to do it in Russian DD. Get close, kill them. Trying to do that mission in cruiser is a dice roll.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

That will work for the mission? Independence, Cleveland, Aoba, New Mexico, Fuso, Farragut, Mutsuki, Atlanta, though the Farragut is brand new.

Farragut will work best for killing DDs IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Battleships got many more pixels then DDs do. :3 I think that it takes much more time to make battleship then destroyer.