Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So a thing happened

1) :stonklol:
2) i thought anime nerds in boats couldn't shut up about kancolle so why didn't they do kancolle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Kancolle is a game company, so it's a direct competitor.

EDIT: I should probably put "game" in quotes there, it's less of a game than Farmville.

Ah ok.

Also, I finally got rank 10 but my first league flag is missing :argh:

The Aoba was the best ship to get up to rank 10 in my experience since it can take anything except a competent Cleveland 1v1 when team coordination breaks down near the end. The guns are adequate to kill destroyers eventually, any German and Japanese cruisers (and the Omaha) will reliably take citadel hits, and armor angling + a bit of maneuvering works well enough to just rush isolated BBs and torpedo them from up close unless they manage a plunging citadel hit at long range. Basically just point the Aoba straight at your target and keep firing till it dies, or turn at the last second to avoid a crash and dump some torpedos while you're at it.

I'm finally starting to get some reliably decent results with the Myoko in ranked battles as opposed to random battles, probably because I'm not getting shot at by two BBs from different sides of the map all the time.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The secondaries are a nick gimmick, but ultimately its your primary armament that is going to be doing all the heavy lifting. I wouldn't recommend trying to go through the initial grind with the secondaries upgrade, do it after you've made elite on the ship and just play it for fun.

pretty sure kancolle isn't doing a crossover cuz the people who make it really hate non-japanese people playing their game or something, :japan:

Your flag changes every time you change leagues, and they aren't permanent, they disappear at the end of the season. You need to hit rank 1 to get a permanent flag, the jolly roger.
Unless you really dont have a better ship, I wouldn't take the Myoko out. It'll lose to an equally skilled New Orleans, still gets plastered by NCs and Amagis, doesn't provide the sheer volume of fire a Mogami can, nor has the repair party of the Atago. All you WILL do is just give your team a T7 to balance out the enemy team's Kiev.

I'm a scrub with no other high tier ships so :shrug:, though I might get the Atago at some point. I haven't gone down in rank so I definitely have the wrong flag.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

If you're running a 1 star flag at Rank 10 its probably a bug.

This.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Doing any damage in a Karlsruhe is definitely worth bragging about.

ftfy

Also, is there a EU group for goons in botes? It would be nice to play with terrible goons instead of terrible pubbies from time to time, without having to reregister for the US server.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is it just me or are the daily multipliers only 1.5x this weekend?

Officially, there is no 2x weekend multiplier. There are only special events with 2x multipliers that happen to occur on almost every weekend.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Oh. That's dumb. Is there at least some reason why the dailies in WoWS are 1.5x instead of 2x like in WoT?

because :wargaming:

The good news is that once you're past level 6 XP won't matter since you'll be permanently broke instead :v:.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

By playing ranked of course :mrgw:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It might just be that there are a lot of "meh" cruisers at those levels. The Zao's win rate is about even with the Yamato's, suggesting a good Zao driver makes a difference. At tier 9 the Roon beats out everything (including the Iowa) except the Udaloi. At tier 8 the Mogami is second behind the Tashkent. So based on this the answer is "there's a point, as long as you're playing the best cruiser at that tier."

Hmm yeah, but they're high tier cruiser so you still have to grind through all the not-so-good botes because nobody has millions of free XP lying around. Also high tier cruisers can reliably take down battleships if you play them like a giant destroyer and get in close enough to fire all your torpedos into them, by which i mean the 10% of the time you don't get one-shot by a BB before your lovely Japanese torpedo arcs let you fire

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Atago is love, Atago is life, absent minded enemy BBs are money pinatas.

Top player in ranked? Nice.

:retrogames:
Also killed by a BB in a higher tier CA, nothing see here?

Guess where that ramming damage went :dukedog:

I had wandered to within 10km of both enemy BBs and they kept shooting at our Colorados so might as well just drive straight at them. Launched torpedos at both, killed the Nagato and missed the North Carolina (e: might have hit it once, that flooding must come from somewhere), and oh hey I'm still pointed at the North Carolina who finally started shooting me and only 3km away :pram:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 8, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Thanks as always for the useful tips Hazdoc and El Disco. Unfortunately it was the turret rotation mod I installed so I'll remove that with shinies and take that as a lesson to read the fine print. Her guns seems pretty accurate already and I learned to pre-aim my guns pretty early with battleships. The Kawachi really cooks that into you, even if those guns work differently from most.

:ssh: you can destroy mods without spending gold

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tirranek posted:

This thing you speak of, please teach me :stwoon:

click module slot in port, right click relevant module, click destroy instead of demount

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

I did it ma, I did it!

IM FREE OF RANKED
FREE

the last game we squeaked out a victory with 4 points (literally one tick away from a draw) at time over

Congratulations, and make sure to fly that jolly roger while being really smug about it :woop:

On that note, I just dropped back to rank 10 slowly and painfully, often being the only one with a kill on the whole team :negative:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dalael posted:

I've been trying to do ranked battles, and I'm just not getting anywhere. Being a 51%er I'm not doing all that much to help the team, and I've been getting somewhat retarded teams all night.

[ask] me about playing with dumb pubbies who think using HE in a high tier battleship is a good life choice

[ask] me about playing with dumb russian pubbies who think suiciding their kiev into a ball of enemy cruisers is a good life choice and then insult everyone in chat because nobody saved them from the inevitable HE spam

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking of :homebrew:

occasionally, it's nice that dumb loving pubbies are so common in ranked battles :agesilaus:

Weirdly enough, I keep getting Dreadnought on the Atago more than in every other ship together so now I'm just spamming the repair ability with the flag mounted.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 12, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Is there any way to change your displayed account name? I want to change to a different dated reference every week like in TF2.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Just play anything below 10 in an Aoba and anything above 10 in an Atago to make fat stacks of cash :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wargaming: officially less retarded than CCP.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dalael posted:

Wtf?
So a bunch of people get a ton of free xp due to a bug and get to keep it and you're okay with it.. Were CCP to do something similar, you'd throw a tantrum.

CCP would permaban a bunch of people on principle starting with whoever reported the issue, scratch their heads, permaban some more people because the other half of the company hasn't been brought up to speed, realise they hosed up and do nothing about it, close the threadnought on eveo, and then after the third threadnought reaches 200 pages before someone can be arsed to close it and after themitanni dot com and evenews24 agree on something would finally admit their mistake and then gently caress up some more and forget to unban half the banned accounts

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 3, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

it's art animu

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TheDemon posted:

Die-Hard in my Bogue :confused: this is just like WoT where you'd always pick up Kamikaze in your artillery I guess?

did a DD ram you and explode

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Amagi, Mogami, Kiev, Blyska, Benson. Maybe the t8 jap CV.

Atago, too. Make sure to spam the premium repair early and often.

In other news, I just brought myself to grind through the pain that is ranked again, to hilarious results on the last tier VI match.

Murdered my way through everything that wandered into gun range while the enemy sky cancer wasted two waves of torpedo and dive bombers on killing our afk CV. The Aoba is still the most fun boat in the game and arguably is kinda OP :laffo:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

demonR6 posted:

How do people intentionally launch matches in ranked mode then go AFK idgi?

I saw that happen just in normal games when I was playing last week. In some cases people would say yeah that player was AFK in an earlier game too.

Pubbies keep complaining about other pubbies/bots going afk and coasting up the ladder by dumb luck alone but as this keeps happening in higher non-irrevocable tiers I think it's also people who just click the "battle on" button and then go take a piss or get tired of matchmaking times (lone CV) and take a piss before coming back to a "you lost, 0 XP, 100000 silver repair cost" screen.

Stock Mogami trip report:: :2bong:

1st match I got my poo poo kicked in by a very competent (i.e. not sailing in a straight line with exposed citadel, can aim, does maneuver in semicircles) Atago and did like 1.5k damage in return. Oh hey.

2nd match had craptacular matchmaking (Hiryu, NC, Tirpitz, my Mogami, 2 Fubuki, Mahan vs. Hiryu, NC, Nagato, 3 Benson, Mahan :wtc:). Our DDs were complaining that they'd die immediately to the Bensons.
Me: Hey I'm a stock Mogami, watch my 155mm HE spam :pram:
We didn't lose a single ship, killed everything, and the other team got salty in chat :getin:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Dudes rushing straight at a Battleship that can see them and has all its guns pointed at them, only to get dunked on, is the greatest thing.

It's even greater to be the dude rushing at the BB, except you're in an Aoba with a well-protected citadel and the BB will take off like 10k of your HP before burning down and eating four torpedos :getin:

Sometimes also works in the Atago or Mogami but it's less satisfying because you'll survive with like 5k HP left and die to a random Cleveland half a minute later.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

How in the hell do you protect an Aoba's citadel from a BB? I've gotten citadeled in that paper boat from the front.
Unless you're 1v1-ing a Nagato (lol nope), you wiggle around just enough that the BB won't blow up your citadel straight through the deck armor but will hit you at a slight angle so shells bounce from your armor, overpen through your superstructure or at worst get caught halfway through and do normal damage.

e: Doesn't work as well in the Atago and Mogami and not at all in the Myoko. The Atago and Myoko don't have enough ship in front of the citadel to shield it well while the Mogami and Myoko need to turn in just as far as the Aoba due to lovely torpedo arcs so if the BB has a loaded turret left it can double citadel you and blow you up because you're either in an underarmored ship that's already half dead or because it's a really high tier BB that can do ludicrous citadel hits.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

You'll still get citadeled through the bow. There's virtually nothing you can do from a shell that smashes square into a turret and pens clean through and either into your magazines or somehow drops more and hits your aft magazine. And if you're going to torp, you uhh... gotta point your rear end at the BB. That means you'll have to either pass the BB by (at point blank, good luck living through that) or turn away at some point, at which your citadel is super exposed.

I mean, its not always a bad idea, its just not one you should expect to live from.
The idea is for any shell that pens to not go straight into you but to one side so it has a good chance of missing the citadel because you're never quite facing the shell straight on
It works... 80% of the time I guess? Basically when it's me in an Aoba vs. not-a-Nagato I point my ship at the BB, go "bring it on fuckers :dukedog:" and waste them. I actually prefer getting shot at with AP than HE when already pointed at the BB.

Torping means staying on course and either waiting for the BB to fire a full broadside at your face when you're getting in close and then turning for the torpedo attack or just going past it at almost zero range and dumping torpedos on the way out.

e: if the BB is already facing away from you don't try. You need to finish the BB off ideally without getting properly hit by more than 3 salvos and you can't evade well enough to survive slowly running down the BB.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 9, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Wait are they seriously going to put the goddamned Habbakuk into the game?

:jeb::hf::getin:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Today in "WTF how did we win this" and "WTF why do my stats look so good":

To emphasise, in no way did I play well.
Match started with disagreement and chat rage over which point to cap, splitting the fleet. Miraculously, nobody died immediately, but the non-split enemy fleet decided to focus on me and I limped away half dead.
Then I went to try and shoot at things without dying while repairing, which resulted in me being just useful enough to do moderate damage yet just useless enough to let everyone die as my meatshield.
The last surviving other team member (a Tirpitz) decided to get in a duel with an enemy Tirpitz, failed to angle his armor (plus used HE a lot :lol:), and died like a bitch.
I ran away with half HP (after using 3/4 of my repairs), sailed straight into the enemy New Orleans, ate a bunch of citadels that took me to like 1k HP, got stuck on an island, and survived with 2k HP after using my last repair through dumb luck because the New Orleans ate some torpedoes before it could finish me off.
At this point, it was me against a half HP Tirpitz and an almost full HP Benson, so I ran away some more while everyone was raging at me in chat and the Benson capped our point just in time to stop us from winning. I capped our last point, and 2 ticks away from victory the enemy Tirpitz came around an island and fired a broadside at me. And missed. Never not install Steering Gear Modification 2 :dukedog:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Question: how to Aoba?

1) you're maneuverable
2) you have a big fat weakly armored citadel
3) the citadel is sorta protected from the front
4) your guns can pen pretty much all cruisers and are reasonably accurate

Don't be the first guy to rush in and take fire because you're big enough to hit and weakly armored enough to die. Aim well because you don't have enough guns to spray and pray. Never show your side to a BB while beating up single cruisers and DDs with rapid firing guns. You can reliably score citadels on every T5-T6 cruiser except the Cleveland, on which you still score occasional citadels. You can murder unsupported BBs with some experience by slightly weaving in and out, but don't count on it initially. Use torpedos sparingly because of the whole weakly armored thing which makes you more likely to blow up when turning for those awful Japanese torpedo arcs.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Just had a Kraken loss in ranked. Our only DD had like 157 exp.

Ooh just had another loss where our DD got 113xp. Its like they are trying to lose

That's the guys who rush in, shoot their guns for one hit, and then eat a torpedo from the enemy DD. Or who survive for 10 minutes trying to ambush a BB only to die to 10 AP shells at 2km range, while turning to aim the torpedoes (that's me).

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 15, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe it depends on the tier, but anyone else notice that they're not getting hit as often? Maybe accuracy got turned down or something...

Mods got broken, and broken badly enough that you can't just rename the 0.5.24 Aslain's Mod folder to 0.5.3 like you could do for many previous patches.

For me, it's the lack of the scalable crosshair mod, which lets you aim for +2° on US BBs, +3° on Tirpitzes and Japanese BBs, +3-3.5° on all cruisers, and +3.5-4.5° on DDs, with some corrections for shell speed and target speed. I haven't used the stock crosshairs in months and basically cannot hit anything with them anymore. In addition, I rely on the mod which shows ship names and headings and last known positions on the minimap for 100% of my target selection and to a large extent also for my aim (i.e. aim closer/further depending on target's course), and without that, I lose basically all situational awareness.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 19, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TheDemon posted:

Torpedo Acceleration is so much fun with CVs holy poo poo. It's like I'm playing Closed Beta again.

e: Not only is it impossible to react with Turn Away anymore, it increases drop distance as arming distance is longer, meaning a little less time under AA. But longer arming distance doesn't actually hurt, as the torpedoes are still giving less reaction time.

bye bye manual torp drops i guess?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Aesis posted:

Survivability Expert.

I died to a Benson in a gun duel. In a half HP Atago. Gun DDs are now pretty good baby cruisers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

An actual Royal Navy Officer ca 1850 posted:

WTF why you complaining? Do you know how expensive it is to fix a battleships paint job? Getting your paint chipped is a big deal you know. The anime girl ships might laugh at you when they see you coming into port.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

do the 8 vs 10 km torps matter?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone have tips for playing the Amagi? For me it's a floating piece of poo poo with less effective armor than a cruiser. Whenever I'm not sniping at max range, I die to random citadels from the first enemy that can aim. It's literally worse than the Kawachi.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 24, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I'm playing the stock hull, and it is god awful. After the Nagato or Fuso I had expected it to be mediocre but not so godawful it's not worth playing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

The Bogatyr is amazing though, I'm definately considering keeping it. And this is from someone who didn't like St Louis, although that was a long time ago.

I don't understand the appeal of any below t4 cruiser or BB. It's basically Eve Online combat where each ship is a sphere with a movement vector and HP count that trades DPS with another sphere till one of them reaches 0 HP. If I want that I play EVE.

Night10194 posted:

There was basically an actual reason Japan thought 'If we win a big decisive battle our enemies will sue for peace' and that reason was because it had happened before. It doesn't make their decisions in WWII any more sane, but it does help explain them.

Extrapolating a trend from a sample of one: always a good idea.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Krogort posted:

Guess what's on sale on EU

:barf:

I also just had the most hilarious clusterfuck of a match ever during the daily free XP/cash Atago grind, today on Shatter. I died five minutes into the match after afk running into the enemy on our side before coming back to the computer, but took out a Hatsu, a Yorck, and a Tirpitz before dying. The rest of the team on my side of the map sank the remaining cruisers while the enemy BBs on the other side ran away to our side and left their cruisers to die.

After everyone on our team hit F9 since the match was 7:3 in our favour, all of our BBs steamed in straight lines straight into the torpedos of the one remaining enemy DD one after the other. The two surviving enemy BBs mopped the floor with all our cruisers for losing one BB, putting the enemy barely ahead in points a minute before the end of the match and leaving us with one Fletcher with 2k HP. Cue the surviving enemy Tirpitz... running straight into the Fletcher's unaimed wide spread of torpedos seconds before the match ends.

Incompetence wins the day again.

e: Look on my pubbies, ye goons, and despair!

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 26, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It took me 4+ minutes last night each time to get two Orlan fights to earn the xp to start the Russian cruiser line. I should've just co-oped.
Don't you have like 500 free XP

I skip Tier 1-2 or 1-3 ships on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TSBX posted:

Alternatively using allies as armor by ramming into them and then side scraping while they burn up is certainly a viable tactic.

Especially if you do it to pubbies.