Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I'm terrible at this game.

So far I'm sailing the Ruskie destroyer Gremyashchy, it has good torps but it's guns are terrible, turn rate is akin to that of a battleship and can't keep up with the ship turn rate (36sec). So it's pretty much torp Only but I often get murdered by cruisers like the Clevland before I have a chance to get close enough.

I also played a bit with IJN Battleships, so far I've got a Myogi and I don't like it much.
Bombers and torp bombers are very annoying and I can't do much against them, destroyer are almost impossible to hit with the big guns and the secondaries don't hit much. Worst of all, I do poo poo damage against other BB and CL, most hits are 500ish damage even if I randomly get nice 3000 critical hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Found this on a forum, figured it could interest some of you.

Supposed to be win ratio per tier per ship type.

Red - IJN DDs
Orange - US DDs
Green - IJN CAs
Yellow - US CAs
Blue - IJN BBs
Purple - US CVs

More russian stats there :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6j7Fl_fmw

Krogort fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 4, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
With the 130mm from the Gremyashchiy, are you better of shoting AP or HE at destroyers ? I finaly unlocked the turret turn speed upgrade and captain turn speed skill and can actualy use the guns now.
It seems I can get some nice hits on big ships with AP but on destroyers I deal ridiculous damages.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Since I've unlocked the Clevland, twice I've been matched with tier VIII and IX ships.
Those games were terrible, everybody was sitting as far away from the frontline and trying to shoot eachother.
Even the destroyers were just running circle and spamming torpedoes at 15km.

Is it always like this ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Mouse over the weapons in the main menu with relevant ship selected, you need to expand the artillery folder on the right of the screen.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

How do you get these detailled player/ship list on the left and right side of the screen ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Icons are default, but the list like on the Tab menu isn't.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

Settings > Controls > Display Team Panels (bottom left corner)

How could I miss that, thanks.

Hagop posted:

I feel like back when everyone was posting in the tanks thread one of the alpha testers let leak that they are planing on having two full US BB and CA trees at some post release point.
Maybe separate battleship from battlecruiser and heavy from light cruiser into their own trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMk_lLalrAg
This seem stupidly powerfull, is that hard to pull out ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Why would they sell premium ships that would be a specific hull from a ship class already present in the regular ship tree ?
How would they differentiate it gameplay wise ? there wouldn't be much differences in primary weapons or ship stats.

Concerning anti air.
When is it worthwile to pick the anti air range upgrade ?
I've got it on my Cleveland but don't notice much difference in effectiveness against aircraft, my captain is quite low level though so I don't have the active ability upgrade yet.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
My best ever game, in a DD none the less.
I am terrible at aiming torps (or the ennemy is good at avoiding them) and could have gotten another BB if I was somehow competent.
Still managed to gun down a damaged Cleveland and Adoba in a 2v1 match, my proudest moment.
I quite like the Gremyashchiy with both turret turn speed upgrades, Torpedoes are good enough,the hull still out-turn the guns but it's easy enough to land good hits and the guns have a good balance of firepower and reload speed allowing you to run evasive maneuvers without missing too many chances to fire.

Now that my Soviet captain has unlocked tier 3 skills, I need to choose between the Smoke boost or the Detection alert. Any experienced DD captain has an opinion on those ?
I think for a beginer the detection alert might be the better choice to get a feel of how the detection work in this game.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 9, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What is the deal with the St Louis armor ? this thing can soak up damage better than a Cleveland or Pensacola.

Twice now I have been brawling one in my Kongo, the later at point blank range and it just didn't want to die, I had to shell it with like 8 full volley before sinking it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I've been switching from one to the other, they did similar damages.

Where is the magazine on this ship ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Crash74 posted:

I picked up a alanta finally. It says it has dual purpose guns, how do you activate the main guns for aa or is it simulated? If so that kind of sucks.

I've read somewhere that it's simulated.
You lose the bofors for just 2 AA more turret than the Cleveland so it's not that great an AA platform.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Did they post any numbers about DDs dominating lower tier games?

Red - IJN DDs
Orange - US DDs
Green - IJN CAs
Yellow - US CAs
Blue - IJN BBs
Purple - US CVs

There is also this but I don't know what to make of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6j7Fl_fmw

Field report from the Atlanta: there seem to be little this ship can do that a Cleveland can't do better, and for free and 1 tier lower.
Paper turret, terrible range, average dps, cardboard armor, cosmetic torpedoes, turn like a brick.
It seems to be only good at shooting DDs but if there are none on the ennemy team or you end up on the open ocean map you will suffer. Might become good enough once you can fire at torpedoes.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 11, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
US DD seems actualy pretty consistant across tier and have a decent win rate. They might even be the most balanced class.

There are probably too few people using the high tier BB and CV to get relevant stats.
edit: or old chart yea

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If they put animefag skins into this game there is no way I'll ever play it.
Those borderline pedo avatar on the official forums are enough an annoyance to deal with.

But what am I saying, I am a garbage dick after all.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

The Locator posted:

Atlanta.gif

:dance:

Close enough.
Cleveland is dope.

And will probably be nerfed hard :gonk:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

I tried the assist thing linked in the OP just to see what all the fuss is about.

Maybe it's not calibrated for the Myogi or something but the indicator is nowhere even close to where I needed to aim to hit shots.

Yea it is wrong on most/all ships.
Usualy I have to lead it and aim slightly above it for proper hits.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Playing BBs without it just becomes tedious due to the long reload.

Agreed, BB should have it Built-in. Firing ranging shots on BB with a few guns and long reload is very punishing.
Lore wise they put it on call it superior BB fire control or watever.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What worries me is that all your bombers reached the cruiser without a single loss...

It seems AA guns make for pretty fireworks but are terrible, I didn't get beyound the Fuso and Cleveland though, but the Cleveland pack a lot of AA yet hardly kill any planes.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I can't aim for poo poo without my red dot :(
So torp it is.

All those juicy BB !

Yet I end up in this

:bang:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is it me or are IJN CV now down right superior to USN for ship attack ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I did it. I've achieved nirvana. I downed three torpedo bombers in a 4-plane squadron and the last plane one-shot my Wyoming from full health, right in the magazine. :magical: "Detonation" achievement received!

At least you get 10 magic flags that repell detonation now.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

I thought the aim mod was broken with the new patch? Is there a new one already?

The camera mod that give an upside down view the further you zoom still works.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/12780-mod031-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v022-14052015/#topmost

Krogort fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 15, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The most important is to check the "enable overhead camera view" box.
The crosshair is cosmetic, I play with the one from Art.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What are those turrets ?

There is something that I don't understand with anti air in this game.
I just unlocked and upgraded the Pensacola (mix of double and triple min turrets hurt my OCD btw) and on paper it seems to have much worse anti air than the Cleveland, yet I just murdered 2 squad of bombers flying over my head during the last game.
The Cleveland has 6 dual 127mm turret, the same ammount of bofors and a kinda similar ammount of 20mm, yet seems much less effective at clearing the sky.

And I don't even have the AA range upgrade on the Pensacola...

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

grrarg posted:

I think the turning changes actually make it easier to dodge torpedoes now, if you know they are coming. But yeah, it is a great time to play destroyers with most people playing the slowass US battleships.

Yea it feel like everyone is able to easily dodge my torp these days.
Gotta aim for busy target too focused on their gunfire.

They should balance chances of setting a fire with caliber and rate of fire, it seems ridiculous on some of the US Cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iDIduEY1w

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

The Grem is probably the best of the three preorder ships. It is at a very good tier, gets decent guns and very good torpedos.

However, it seems to be a very strange mix of two playstyles. It excels at anything long range - the guns have the range and the accuracy, as well as firepower and refirerate to be effective at max distance. The torpedos work great at area denial and pack a mean punch.

You can use your superior handling and speed to dodge bullets quite a lot. However, when you get close you cannot afford to wait for your guns to turn - probably the only weakness it has. Keep doging, use your torpedos and then harass and battleships at a healthy distance.

e: oh and always play this when driving the Grem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

And it cost 10$ less than the Sims, what's not to love.

The captain uprade for turret turn speed is mandatory on this ship in my opinion. Before you get that the guns are very hard to use.

Bonus track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEt41bYQBgE

Krogort fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 16, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

I Greyhound posted:

If "shoot where they are going to be, not where they are" is too hard for someone, they should pass on this and play Cow Clicker instead.

It doesn't help that ships seems to have different muzzle velocity, switching from one to another ruin my aim.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

If that happens to me I use my fighters to scout out things. That's pretty much all you can do.

Have them stick to ennemy DDs, you get no points but you sure ruin their day :devil:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Low speed and small turn radius make it easy to dodge shells at long range too.
With the weird shell trajectory and the small turn radius of ships that looks like they're drifting, I find it really hard to hit stuff at long range with my Fuso.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

The stock pensacola :negative:.

I found it not so terrible with the gun upgrade.
AP will citadel other cruisers quite reliably.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Haha, what?

As far as I can tell they already had a wider spread than US torpedo planes - along with having to drop them further back as far as I can tell* - so they made it even harder to hit with a decent spread? While at the same time making the random chance zone of being an unintended recipient of a torpedo larger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9AiJnIz7Y

That's why.

Behold the Sky Cancer

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Because you can drop tons of ordnance for cheap with a good loitering time.

Some french navy frigates and destroyer shelled the coast with their tiny canon durint the recent Libya war.
Tiny as in dual 76mm and single 100mm.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
They're also discussing the next patch.

http://blog.worldofwarships.eu/patch-notes-0-3-1-4-explained-with-danny-volkov/

Izumo might actualy become decent ?

From Asian website
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/closed-beta-accounts-to-be-wiped-soon-reward-to-follow/

quote:

The Closed Beta Test will be undergoing another round of wipes very soon as we take one step closer to Open Beta and the eventual release of World of Warships. To create fair conditions for everyone who will join after the start of Open Beta, all progress will be removed, such as credits earned and ships purchased,

However, there are significant benefits to those who have participated actively in the testing. Here are the following benefits of your labour to reap:

Account Level will be partially restored based on the number of battles you fought.

Signal flags will be partially restored based on the number of battles you fought.

Two experienced commanders will await you in your port with a certain amount of free skills. This amount is dependent on your participation in the testing phase. These commanders will be at your service on Tier I US and IJN vessels until an appropriate account level is unlocked. At that point you can retain these two gentlemen to command any ship you desire for free.

Note: Contents of any purchased pre-order packages will be invoiced to your account after the wipe, as previously stated in the package description and on our portal. Iwaki Alpha will be restored to your port if you received this ship for your participation in the Closed Alpha phase. Please note that you will receive only the ship – modifications and crew will be wiped.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 10, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Haha wow, the Izumo and Yamato are getting 7km base range secondaries, with the skills and mods what does that push them out to?

About 9.8 to 10km depending on how the two bonuses stack up.

Nasty stuff.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Asian website hint "very soon".
EU and NA websites don't mention that it will happen soon, maybe they're trying to milk some last CBT Access ship packages.

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/closed-beta-accounts-to-be-wiped-soon-reward-to-follow/

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
For Americans only, you can get a cheap beta acess and some ingame bonuses there.
https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3

drat wargaming for making this US Only.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 15, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I love clustered ships when driving my Minekaze.
Even with torp bombers I suppose you just have to aim in the middle and release tops early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

It's going to hurt US destroyer AA capabilities a lot, or do they have dual purpose main armament ?