Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

masterpine posted:

Malta is slowly becoming the CV I fear most, it dishes out absurd direct damage.

Have been playing a lot of Tromp, it's good? Maybe situation-ally a bit broken? If you get a game without CV's you can kind of do whatever you want and keep killing everything with your dope 10 second strikes. If you get into a DD fight, you're a Ragnar-Lite and generally slap people around.

I've like the handful of games I've been able to play in the Tromp so far. It is definitely not a Ragnar though on dealing with bigger ships. It doesn't have that Ragnar/Elbing super low dispersion.
I do like the strikes though, being able to catch someone as they go behind cover and set a nice fire is fun. Or when they are getting ready to leave cover. Or just existing.

Ragnars are scary for me, as unless I'm in a gunboat DD and manage to jump them, it never feels like I'm in a good place to counter them. Also I suck as speed juking and can only look at people with awe and annoyance as they seem to vibrate out of shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

Oh, for some reason I thought it was a premium. More time for other things this month I guess.

This patch's battlepass is pretty meh, its early access to a tech tree ship.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Destroyers: T-61 is a standout, Shinonome, Aigle
Cruisers: I think smoke cruisers, so Perth, Leander would work. I think Nurnberg if you can avoid instantly exploding.
Battleships: Bayern, Warspite, maybe the Repulse/Renown.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

I recall such a bug, but I don't remember the timing of it

It was right as the new BC line launched. Basically any ship mount that wasn't a main battery gun was invincible. It was a good time for DD's, as you weren't constantly losing launchers as well.
I never worry too much about the BC secondaries too much, as most of them are casemate and those seem a lot harder to kill. But I've never had more then one torpedo launcher survive a game. I've rarely had them survive to launch a second shot of torps honestly.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

Superconqueror, Superpetro, hybrid destroyers, support CVs.

Lmao.

Also a new gunboat line of Euro DD's that get radar and smoke.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

I actually...sort of trust them to balance a tech tree line? Sort of? I guess? Am I a fool? They haven't pushed any new silver ships that really feel like game-breaking monsters lately, except St. Vincent, but I guess everyone's sleeping on that, or at least they were when I uninstalled.

Of course they're doing hybrid battleships as a tech tree so who the gently caress knows. All the misery for me is the stuff slapped on around (or underneath) the surface warfare part, which I, and maybe I have terminal brain worms, still pretty much enjoyed as long as the stakes were low.

Right now, Blimp mode is goddamn hilarious and I hope it never goes away. So many more ships work in it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dropped some coal to finish the Oklahoma collection. Got it figuring neat, a Nevada-class, my collection is complete. Did not know it was a secondary monster! 8km secondaries on a tier 5? Bananas!

It does have the worst penetration on its AP shells for its gun size. By a lot.

Its a good port queen.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Rooke was the king of Tier 7 ranked a few seasons ago. I found the Hawke to be weaker at tier 8, as it has a larger citadel and faces a lot of stuff that doesn't give a poo poo about its armor. Duncan was a nice improvement, but I kept getting games that didn't fit its style. St Vincent is just goddamn silly on any situation where you can limit your incoming fire.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

WG have discovered that only battleships are queuing for the Asymmetric Battles (because it's loving miserable for anything that isn't a battleship), so they're solving the issue by nerfing battleship credit and XP gains significantly tomorrow.

You know, instead of making it so you can play a DD or cruiser and not get focused to death in seconds. That would take work.

You either have to go stealth or pick a smoke DD. AI has no qualms about taking cross map shots on a ship.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: there's also something bugged about the bots' module damage, or the Schlieffen's torpedo launchers, because I had a run of six games where I lost a torpedo tube on the first hit I took, and it was usually a ~1000 damage HE shell from a destroyer. Also constantly losing turrets.

Module HP has number range, what your get is random in that range. Schlieffen has very exposed torp launchers as well. I considered it a miracle in a game where I get to launch a set twice.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

Up to the T7 Pan American Cruiser and they're fun to play but seem completely impotent against both Battleships and Destroyers which does make them awkward to play.

Its weird to have a light cruiser that a lot of DD's will kinda just ignore and let you shoot at them, because you aren't doing poo poo for damage to them.
I've had some fun games in the tier 8 so far, but I can't say I'd recommend the line at all. The gimmick of being hard to kill is kinda funny, but you are a ship that is hard to kill that is a mild annoyance.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Lol it took 440k damage to get 1.3m credits now.

Honestly I feel like more than ever it's a complete coinflip in randoms unless you crush everything (or not even then considering I had a six kill loss).

Anyone else been getting that feeling? Or maybe it's that I was playing British subs and Pan American cruisers.

Asym mode has reduced credit gains for battleships.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Even destroyers are frustrating, because bots 100% dodge torpedoes they shouldn't be able to detect, they have incredible aim and will focus you down the second you get spotted. So unless you're something like a Kitakaze that can sit in smoke and set fires, you will never get a god drat thing done.

The bots in this feel like inverse from the co-op on torp dodging. Co-op ones will happily sail directly into torps until about 7km, when they activate Eurobeats and can skate through them. Asym ones will immediately turn 90 degrees the second you fire at long range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Wish they showed the path the ship goes, it turned and I was cut off from its aura.

This mode is all about bringing high DPM cruisers. Mainz in particular just pulps stuff.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 28, 2023