Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Have they said how invites will work? I was in an earlier alpha weekend a few months ago, does that mean I'm automatically in now as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought a USS Arizona and while it seems cool and powerful, I really don't have any idea how to play battleships. Keep my nose pointed at the enemy and turn slightly when I'm preparing to fire?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm surprised to find I'm having so much fun with the game again, and I think I might buy a second premium to grind captains with and support Wargaming.

Any recommendations? I'm still relatively new at the game, so any super high skill floor ships might not be suitable. I don't have any huge preference for ship type (no carriers).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Devorum posted:

Finally caved and attempted the Flamu trick.

Bought 10 $3 boxes, got 90 days premium, 3K doubloons, 50 Dragon flags, 100 ESCL flags, An Atlanta, and a Warspite.

I bought 7 3€ boxes and got flags and camo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Redeye Flight posted:

Wish I had money to gamble on Santa boxes. This sounds like fun.

Yeah I guess it is if you win big and get a bunch of ships but less so when you realize you could've just bought a fun ship instead of a bunch of flags and camo patterns.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I went ahead and also bought the Murmansk.

Please tell me this wasn't a terrible decision.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I also bought the October Revolution and enjoy it. Because I'm a huge idiot who only makes bad decisions I bought the 40 euro version which bumped up my doubloon count to 5250. Anyone have suggestions on which other premiums I might want to buy? Nothing insanely demanding or complicated, I'm still learning the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On a whim I started climbing the US carrier tree and while I'm really liking it so far, there are some things I want to ask.

1. Is air combat EXTREMELY RNG heavy? Sometimes my squadrons will do quite well against equal tier Japanese opposition (which I assume is supposed to be how it goes considering they have numbers, so I should have quality, right?) but occasionally I'll just get loving murdered. Sometimes when I'm fighting another Bogue, my planes will murder theirs 8-1, other times I'll get a reversal of that even if we're fighting over friendly ships where I should be getting a benefit from their AA as well.

2. Am I right in assuming the default loadout for the Bogue is the best? Going with 2 fighter squadrons and just one dive bomber squadron seems like a bad idea (although if I could just take the enemy CV's planes out of the game entirely pretty fast, that might not be terrible...) as does going without any fighter protection at all?

3. Considering I'm in one of the slowest ships in the game, I'm sometimes having trouble maneuvering. I don't want to be the CV player who sits in the furthest map corner, but I've also learned to be extremely cautious of roaming destroyers. Back when I had a dive bomber squadron in my Langley, I could hold that in reserve and use it to defend myself, but now I'm so slow and defenseless that getting spotted is a death sentence. Combine this with pubbies and their inability to fire at a DD casually sailing through their lines and it's occasionally very frustrating.

Any tips on this?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Can someone give me an overview (or point me towards one) of the pros and cons of each nation? I only have vague ideas like "US Battleships are slow and sturdy" and "UK ships have good HE when they can get it" and I've been trying to find good summaries, but with very little luck.

E: never mind I found this one, so I'm rephrasing:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/95587-navies-of-the-world-basic-nation-guide-for-new-players/

Is this still accurate? Anyone disagree with it?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Managed to get a bit isolated from my team in my Kaiser when our entire flank managed to melt down in the blink of an eye, leaving me to face down a damaged König, a damaged Kaiser and a full HP Orion with me down to ~60% HP. I ended up killing the lot of them, simply because the pubbies kept trying to broadside me and shot HE. I kept my nose pointed at them, fired AP and only exposed my flanks when someone was reloading and I could safely bring more guns to bear.

Sadly in the end the destroyer who had tacked himself on to the fight halfway through managed to land the fourth or fifth torpedo salvo he fired at me from a completely hidden position and I went down. Also, the game itself ended 15 seconds later so I was very close to avoiding that repair bill.

Still, it goes to show that pubbies don't exactly know how to battleship!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

Actually you weren't. They went to fixed repair costs a while ago.

That's a real good change, and it would be even better if people actually knew about it and played accordingly.

Of course that would then probably make them even more scared of taking even a SINGLE hit. I dunno, I just despair when I see my team's battleships hugging the corner of the map.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sometimes I just want to murder the loving idiots who play this game. I'm in my Independence, with a Zuiho on my team. Same duo on the other side. I'm running the 1/1/1 configuration.

Game starts, I put planes up and start to maneuver. Zuiho is just sitting where he spawned, not doing anything. I start sending out my planes, but carefully because he's still not doing anything. I started pinging him, still nothing. He FINALLY sends up his planes at the 4 minute mark, and just leaves them sitting in the air above his ships. I'm facing two carriers, trying to maneuver around their fighter cover to be able to do ANYTHING and between the very strong AA the enemy team are fielding and the absolute air superiority the enemy enjoy, I'm just getting chewed the gently caress up.

Long story short, by the time the shithead finally starts to play at the 8 minute mark, all my planes have been shot down. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm having a hard time in my Independence, but yesterday I realized that as I'm tier 6 now I can do strafing runs with my fighters and manually aim torpedos / bombs. I've only been practising on bots so far but all three seem extremely powerful, and of course are not explained or even exposed as game mechanics by the game in any way.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try looking at the WoT one. Nearly $1000 and it doesn't even include most of the newer, OP tanks. Nor does it grant any special incentives like a "Mr. Moneybags" camo or emblem.

And also then you'd have to play World of Tanks :-/

E: or be like me, and have spent a ton of money on a bunch of premium tanks and then get burned out on the awful high tier game and braindead pubbies.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So that sure is a change. They're removing the option to mount alternate flight control modules on US carriers. Everyone is limited to the stock option from now on.

Whyyyyyy?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is there room for a midtier casual in the EU goon guild? All my friends quit this game and it'd be a lot more fun to play with at least a couple of decent people occasionally.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hammerstein posted:

We are at 29/30 and can always purge some of the long term inactives. Just apply to [GOON] Goon Squid and post your nick here...

Sent an application, I'm soralapio in game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These recent US carrier changes have just completely demoralized me. Playing my Independence was already a loving pain because every ship packs insane amounts of AA and it seems that most the CV players I come up against are some kind of insane strafing wizards who just dunk on me non stop. Up until tier 6 I really liked playing my Langley and even the Bogue, but now at 6 it's like I'm constantly getting loving murdered and it's just no fun anymore.

Does it get better? Is this just how it is at higher tiers with US carriers and Japanese CVs have it better or what?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought a Saipan from their Black Friday sale, figuring I'd use it as a crew trainer but I haven't really felt like playing even that. But maybe I should!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK I have a question about manual targeting for my strike aircraft.

I know that if I hold down ALT, I can manually position the aiming area. However, the aiming area is aligned in a fairly arbitrary seeming way.I also know that if I hold down Shift, I can THEORETICALLY rotate it around, but it seems to be extremely fidgety and almost random. Now it's pointing left! Move two pixels to the right and it's pointing up! Now it's pointing to the lower right!

How the hell does this work?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hazdoc posted:

if you hold down alt, it'll create a circle and the line where your attack will progress, starting from the edge. If you click the approach angle from the edge, you can drag it around the circle to change where the planes enter the circle and attack from.

Hey thanks, that actually solved the problem :D Wouldn't it be great if the game actually exposed or explained any of these mechanics?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat I loving hate playing Strait as a battleship.

NTRabbit posted:

e: Don't forget to claim your 2 free small ones by joining Santa's Legion via the link

Except of course if you're in the EU in which case you get jack poo poo, apparently.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well the Duke of York missions are certainly a thing. As Sperglord Actual said, these "do X to ships of type Y while in ship of type Z" missions loving blow.

I don't have British cruisers of tier 5-8 so that rules me out of a bunch of missions immediately, and in fact my only tier 5 or higher cruiser is the Furutaka which has a 20 second reload on its guns so doing those "hit enemy battleships 250 times" missions are gonna be loving fuuuuun to do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lunsku posted:

EU Santa stuff is up, btw.

Bought five medium boxes, scored all the three ships (Leningrad, Scharnhorst, Okhotnik) and some premium time from the free one. Haven't really shipped it in a while but I guess I will be during holidays!

I bought five boxes as well and got the Okhotnik. I already had a Scharnhorst so no big loss there. I also got a bunch of doubloons, a shitload of free XP and some +XP flags.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man these missions are just terrible for the game. Everyone's playing battleships and cruisers, and it's just a massive clusterfuck, especially when combined with the traditional pubby ability to be loving godawful at this game.

My WN8 must be absolutely tanking.

E: also the matchmaker loving hates me. My tier 5 ships are constantly the bottom ships in tier 7 games, which makes these missions a reaaaaaal joy to do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Of course the upside of LITERALLY EVERYONE playing battleships and cruisers is when I take out my destroyers, it's great just dancing outside detection range and being a loving menace to society.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bought the Giulio Cesare, took her out for a spin. My first game ended after ~2 minutes when some pubbie idiot in a friendly destroyer decided to put three torpedoes into me from very close range.

E: I'm not gonna blame that on the Cesare, but considering this is the EU server and the dude was one of those retards with their nationality in their name, I wouldn't put it past them to have this be some kind of "THE ITALIAN PIGS INSULTED GLORIOUS CZECH REPUBLIC IN 1542, NOW YOU ALL DIE" scheme.

Yesterday I was on the same team with some moron who started ranting about "Italian and German pig dogs" while shooting at every teammate in a German ship, and sadly that isn't a very rare occurrence.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 22, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boy I'm starting to get loving sick and tired of being the lone tier 5 in a tier 7 game when I play either my Iron Duke or my König. Not a whole loving lot I can do in those games!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

Angle, tank, and be a pest - but never be the center of attention.

Right, that'd be easier if the tier 7 battleships on my team didn't suffer from pubbie disease and camp in the furthest possible corner. Everyone outranges me by a couple of KM so I have to try to get in close -- and when I do I of course get focused.

This poo poo sucks!

E: I honestly can't remember the time I wasn't bottom tier.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat the Giulio Cesare owns though. I spent most of the time kiting 3-4 enemy battleships around and shooting them up.

E: I'm so loving sick of battleship pubbies thinking "if my ship has a range of 23 KM, I should be 23 KM away from the nearest enemy, preferably sitting behind a mountain".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 23, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, better players, help a brother out: what can I do in those situations?

Let me propose a couple of hypotheticals:

1. I'm in a top tier battleship. The rest of our battleships are doing the pubbie thing of doing donuts 30 KM behind the line of engagement. What can I do to help things?

2. I'm in a lower tier battleship. Our top tiers are playing like pubbie idiots. Can I do anything or should I just consider this a wash?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat these Duke of York missions are awful. Deal 100 000 damage to German ships in a cruiser is loving great when you're not guaranteed to have ANY GERMAN SHIPS IN THE ENEMY TEAM. And when you do, having to laser focus on the one or two loving sucks.

I'm kinda asking myself here... How much do I REALLY want the Duke of York?

E: these missions would be infinitely more fun if you could do them in co-op or scenarios.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Play ranked and I guarantee you you will see German battleships in basically every loving team.

I would but I don't have tier 8 ships :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Insert name here posted:

I mean if you're that mad at it why not just do the "hit enemy BBs 250 times with main guns in a cruiser" mission twice instead? :shrug:

I did it eventually, actually accomplished both those at once pretty much.

I was initially trying to do them in my Murmansk figuring it has an insane fire rate and that way I could knock those missions out of the park in a jiffy, but it's also made of wet tissue paper so the second it gets spotted it gets blasted out of the water.

I swapped to my Graf Spee and everything went a lot better despite the greatly slower fire rate.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I still have no loving earthly idea what the gently caress Wargaming were thinking by "fixing" US carriers. I made the mistake of jumping into a PVP game with my Independence. Their carrier was a Ryujo.

I had -- as is now the only option -- one squadron of each plane type. Their carrier had three fighter squadrons AND strike aircraft. And sadly he wasn't a complete idiot who sat his planes in place waiting for strafes so there wasn't much I could do about that game.

And apparently it's only going to get worse with the Ranger.

I kinda think "one side can just click on poo poo and win, the other has to try and land AOE attacks on fast moving targets to stand any chance of competing" is kinda hosed design philosophy.

E: Sorry, I just sound like a ranting lunatic here, but I really enjoyed carriers in lower tiers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 25, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've got the Queen Elizabeth and the Bayern pretty much unlocked, but I can't decide between them. I really like both British and German battleships!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

4) Players not in CVs have no really meaningful skill-based mechanisms to deal with planes. If your CV goes to sleep, or Warbeasties, there is very little you can do about planes. If ever you end up in a situation where your high-tier carrier is bad, and the enemy's is GOOD, you will almost certainly lose.

Yup. People talk about maneuvering and such, but that doesn't do poo poo against someone dropping a spread of torpedoes so close to your boat they explode a millisecond after arming. It's happened to me numerous times.

I dunno, I find a lot about carriers very frustrating in general. When I'm playing a carrier, after ships start to have good AA (tier 6 - 7) my planes can get erased from the sky in the blink of an eye, and I'm basically stuck waiting around and hoping someone destroys enough of someone's AA for me to be able to strike effectively. And there's really no way of me knowing if that has happened, so it's frustrating guesswork, the penalty of which is me not being able to do poo poo for a minute or so.

When I'm NOT playing a carrier, as you say, I rarely feel like I have any real say in whether or not I get hit. I can dodge and weave but if the carrier player is good (or RNG is on their side for dive bombers) I'm getting hit. This is also immensely frustrating when you're playing a carrier and feel like your hands are tied. If your enemy has three fighter squadrons to your one, you're going to have a very bad day unless the enemy player is extremely bad or you're extremely good.

All in all as much as I enjoy the general RTS feel of playing carriers, I think they should be (but won't be) overhauled significantly.

E:

How about my earlier question, though. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the Queen Elizabeth vs. the Bayern? Does either line turn to poo poo later on and should be avoided at all costs?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 26, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Krogort posted:

Just got a Kidd from a supercontainer (1st time I get a ship).

Man I wish I could get a supercontainer, period! I've been playing actively for two months now again, and I get 2-3 containers every day. I always pick supercontainer and I think I've received one supercontainer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Now that I'm no longer a "broadside all day erry day" Battleship player, I loving love the Arizona. Tanky, accurate and PUNISHING.

Highlight was spotting a Perth who thought he was hidden in smoke and was just casually sitting ~12 KM away from me. My AP broadside hit him pretty much full on, citadeled him and blew him the gently caress up. His reaction: "Hm." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

Hello sir, have you heard of our lord and savior HMS Warspite?

God damnit is this one of those talks that ends with me buying a new ship?