Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Being the flight combat fan, I'll happily be a pilot and spend all my time fixing my bush-league interceptor.

The callsign will be VR if that is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Thanks for adding me to the pilot roster. I welcome the possibility of having my callsign changed to reflect your mood.

By all means, if I succeed grandly or fail miserably at gunning down UFOs feel free to pick a more appropriate appellation.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I may be a little late to post for Mission 12's air game, but hats off to LEGO Genetics, the apparent new ace of the XCOM air forces.

I, for one, welcome our new robot pilots.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I'd also like to congratulate our newest prodigy Double Rabite on his dodging and weaving prowess, leading to one of the better first kills in this air war.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend the next week and a half repairing my own craft.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I do appreciate the fact that the flyboys of XCOM are starting to display a trend of operating in pairs. Almost as though they would work more effectively if a wing of them could be sent after alien craft instead of one at a time...

Crazy talk, I know, but a man gets to thinking while he spends another 14 days fixing his plane.

Well done to Crowsbeak and Eepies for their joint effort

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, I've been out of the country and unable to provide air war commentary, but it looks as though things are going as well as can be hoped for and our raw talent is earning their wings on every sortie. Too bad about the shortage of boys on the ground though, it's almost as though you guys could benefit from close air support...

Just more rambling from a fighter with too much time on his hands. See you in the hangar tomorrow.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Very nicely done on the mission, though I am sorry to hear about Zen Vulgarity.

I can see that maybe I am not as competent as a flyboy as I had hoped, but I'm happy to contribute all the same. Such is the risk of the Wondershot, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll look forward to welcoming another fellow interceptor to our squad as I work for another three weeks on repairs.

I also agree that keeping the sight radius mod is worthwhile, as it cuts down on the amount of time you would spend trying to calculate that out anyway.

I'm pretty sure that alarm tone was "Pursuit ~ Cornered" from the Phoenix Wright OST. Nice choice.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I am somewhat in favour of the name Oldman that was suggested earlier, as it makes the Earth Defence Force fan in me gleeful.

Also, though I am mostly being reassigned to focus on ship repairs, I am grateful for the opportunity to head to Europe, maybe see some of the family in Portugal to make sure they are well in these dark times. Keep fighting the good fight, and I'll look forward to more good news from the crew in Canada.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
My condolences to Cedric's family, but congratulations to Captain Foo for his down-to-the-wire kill! I agree with the Commander that our faith in you was never misplaced. Also, now that we have a few new weapons on the way, hopefully we will have a chance to make our air forces shine even brighter!

Got another week until my own plane is back in service, but looking forward to more good news from the front!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, while in Europe, I heard a story about a guy in the barracks named "Rooster" who went nuts in the middle of an extraction op. Apparently he ran into the middle of an enemy field of fire, killed three men, then ran off and reloaded right in front of two other guys before killing them, and then finished off a sixth guy right in front of his friends before snapping out of it.

That is the kind of story that makes me wonder, and my most important question is this: does he have a sibling, and can we recruit them into the air force?

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I also have to say that I like how the air force is turning out, being able to bring down the opposition with a minimum of damage received.

It does also get me wondering, though, how it is possible for transfers to and from Europe to take whole days during which no repair progress can be made. We clearly have some sort of high-speed aircraft carrier able to make this happen, so why does it not have facilities to enable even slowed basic repairs?

I am seriously questioning the infrastructure of this project, Commander.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

The Casualty posted:

The better question is, why does it take over a week to change the weapons?

I was going to guess shortage of air crew due to the nightmarish security clearance process involved with working at XCOM. Knowing the Commander and asking him nicely is sort of a fast-track, but otherwise it involves mountains of paperwork and the Commander is too hard at work from one day to the next to not delegate the minutiae of the staffing process to someone else. From what I hear there are many, many forms to fill out and witness statements to take, including a two-decade work history, all aimed at definitively proving that the applicant is not actually a Thin Man.

Sadly, the bureaucracy of the process is such that the eye exam is one of the last tests involved. Could save a lot of time on security clearances if you did that one first.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

ProfessorBooty posted:

Pretty embarrassing that time we hired a thin man.

No bureaucracy is perfect, Commander. And even then at least he showed up on time every day and got some actual paperwork done before Vice--Commander Kidneyman caught him trying to spit acid into the coffee machine.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Oh, and related to the whole measurement systems problem is the nightmare involved in processing personnel payments using the Council's hitherto fore unknown currency, sometimes known as "Xbucks" among the crew. I mean, I signed up for free so that I could get a shot at flying the state-of-the-art aircraft, but I hear that a lot of the crew are not happy about international exchange rates impacting their ability to pay the bills back home. Accounting must be a nightmare for whomever bald Council-guy hired to look after the budget for the project when resources, human and otherwise, come in from literally everywhere.

(I'm glad people like the logistical snafu humour as well, and agree that it ought to be in the spirit of making light of XCOM's unusual situation and not to make complaints about Long War)

Incidentally, I am playing Long War a bit myself now (albeit with filthy casual settings like Normal Difficulty without Ironman) but I am learning a lot from the commentary for the earlier missions, and highly recommend trying the mod out for a new lease on XCOM.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Don't lose hope, Commander. You've still got this well in hand, and we wouldn't be doing nearly as well as we are without you and the Vice-Commander at the helm! Keep it up and I'll look forward to more good news from the front!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, I hear the boys and girls of XCOM got to fight through their very own zombie apocalypse! I really should have asked the LT to bring my drone camera with the group to get some shots of the action.

Also, perhaps Megane would go for Storm One as a paean to other famous survivors of alien bug invasions.

e: Wow, just saw the Strategic mission. I really need to stop target fixating on those beams of plasma and flying into them.

Also the Vice-Commander had a pretty good guess as to my choice of callsign, though to me it means something a little different. For now it might as well stand for "Volatile Repairs".

That said, welcome to Placeholder Pigeon, just be sure to listen to the Commander, remember that we can't bail out of the Ravens, and that at the very least, liquefaction by plasma point defence is a relatively painless way to go.

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 27, 2015

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Wow, that Livingiseasy guy sure moves fast when he needs to, and is pretty lucky to boot! I'm sure Dyingishard for him as others have brought up already.

Also, welcome to the air team, Sheep Dodger! You'll find plasma moves a bit faster than your average sheep, but the principles of dodging tend to be very broadly applicable from one thing to another. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" and all that.

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 30, 2015

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Wow, that was quite an engagement. Makes me think that Torchlighter might get a new lease on life dodging plasma in the skies rather than on the ground.

Also, welcome to the crew, Dee Ehm, we're glad to have you, as the squad really needs someone to run our 5e module on Saturdays. Also, makes me think I should stylize my callsign as "Vee Are".

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Captain Foo posted:

What, Wednesday Apocalypse World isn't good enough?

Don't know if you heard this one, but the rest of the wing kicked me out of that game after I suggested an idea for a module in which the aliens winning was part of the setting. Admittedly it wasn't my best joke, but I guess the party wasn't in the mood.

I'll ask if I can come back after I finish making repairs on the plane, which at this point seems like never.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Aw man, I'm going to miss Jimmy and Masam.

I'll take a minute to spray-paint their names onto my missiles so that the aliens don't forget them either.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Man, Livingiseasy must need to do a lot of cardio to do those extraction ops.

Also, my recent Long War experience does kind of line up with what has been going on for the past couple of pages of commentary. The air game is a mess, Phoenix Cannons are terrible, and covert extractions are mostly bouncing the agent from relay to relay, killing maybe 3 EXALT and then running away. These are probably my least favourite things in LW and worth modifying for anyone interested and capable of doing so (also, remember, I am playing on non-Ironman Normal).

That said, I look forward to getting back in the air since my plane is now good as new. Just remind me not to target fixate so hard when the time comes, and I should be fine.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Commander, I think our boys in the air must get really nervous when they hear you are counting on them so they tend to target fixate on incoming plasma. Either that or, as you have suspected, most of us just really like going to Europe.

I'm sure we'll live up to your expectations one of these days.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Oh man, that white-knuckle interception. Sorry for blowing up the whole ship, Commander, but Dee Ehm and I had to make them pay for the insult of sending such a garbage pilot into our airspace (guy hit 5 out of 12 shots, I think he was watching TV or something while piloting). There is hope for XCOM in the air yet, sir, so I hope you'll have a little more faith in your pilots going forward.

Well, back to repair bay. Give my regards to the boys and girls on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Ah, the rushing air game, better start swapping out available fighters from other countries to cover your bases, Commander. A-XCOM North America will look forward to taking in the sights wherever you send us.

Also, looking forward to hearing back from Livingiseasy. I understand he is finding fantastic vacation spots he visited while on covert ops.

As for Long War realtalk, I'm partway through my own game on Normal, where I am starting to get a better sense of strategic priorities (about 50-60% of the way in) and figuring out how best to determine who to gene mod/psi/MEC out. I appreciate the perkchat in partciular, Commander, as I enjoy learning a little more about how to build a fighting force adequate for each situation as opposed to throwing whomever is available against an alien force and hoping the dice rolls are in my favour.

Keep it up!

• Locked thread