Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I'm glad I was able to find a physical copy of KF4 because, last time I checked, the iso has a game-crashing bug when emulated

Play Shadow Tower: Abyss. It takes some shifts in mindset to get the hang of it -- status effects are everywhere but curatives are pretty easy to get, treat equipment like temporary consumables because of how fast it degrades, avoid hoarding poo poo because your bag fills up quick -- but it's got much more natural controls than KF and battle mechanics with better flow. It's such a weird, hostile game, I love it.

My power levels aren't high enough to get more than 20 min into Shadow Tower PSX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BaXUB74O18
Skip to any point in this video to find something cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodar
May 21, 2007

The Reiterpallasch also does decent damage with its bullets, and allows you to weave gunshots into your melee combos -- a very stylish trick

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Logarius is cool because he could easily be a final boss fight in a different game. I think I was expecting something like him when I first reached Gwyn in DkS

e: between the castle rooftop backdrop and the scythe and the flying skull/blade magic, he's basically a Death fight from Castlevania

Zodar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2015

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Hidetaka Miyazaki posted:

Zodar
May 21, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

i need to improve my strategy of dealing w/ mindflayers since my current strategy is "lose a shitload of insight and get owned repeatedly"

Spend as much of your insight as possible. Get a sedative ready, run in and start flailing at them until they die, pop the sedative as soon as your frenzy meter is more than half full. Memorize their pathing and never attack one where another can see you

Or just drink an invisibility potion

The way Frenzy works, an enemy inflicts "100 frenzy damage" on hit/tick/etc, and that 100 frenzy is added to your meter gradually instead of all at once. Makes people panic when their meter keeps filling after the enemy responsible is dead, but it's much more manageable than instantly having your bleed meter jump to full and losing most of your health like DkS handled it. The difficulty comes from how much more Mensis leans on Frenzy than past areas did on their respective status effects (blighttown/toxin), and how rare Sedatives are once you've wasted a few

Zodar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 17, 2015

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Wow I'm blind. Just use a thrusting attack then, for some reason they have huge slash/blunt resistance but die to a single R2 from Ludwig's. Hide behind something and wait for them to come to you so the paralysis spell doesn't hit you

With how few benefits extra Insight gives you, and how much harder it makes Mensis, I almost feel like their grab attack is a favor

Zodar
May 21, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

using it on NPCs is intensely satisfying

i can't remember which thread this came from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayguEP405mI

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Gwyn is a weird boss because he felt extremely difficult when I didn't parry him -- nonstop fast, sweeping attacks, in your face for 90% of the fight, strong grab attack when you try to block -- but laughably easy when I did start parrying him. It was like using a Mega Man boss's weakness, he just melts.

Meanwhile Gerhman's more like Artorias: faster and wilier than Gwyn, but there's enough of a lead-in and delay to his attacks that you could reasonably beat him without parrying, which is still there to take off pressure when you need a breather. That approach makes for a better fight, imo (even if Gwyn was great from a narrative perspective)

Zodar
May 21, 2007

That's incredible

Ebrietas's theme is my favorite track in the game, awe is an important and underused facet of cosmic horror, and i'm glad it goes for that instead of murky synths and horror strings. Gerhman's is also good

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I'm glad the kick is back in DS3. It's a useful little move. I can't believe DS1 is the only one of these games that has the kick

Zodar
May 21, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

i like the current system just fine. if i had to change anything, then i might get rid of straight +1 +2 +3 progression and move to unique customization of everything through gems / mods / whatever. but if they keep it more or less like it is then i have no complaints.

Ya. One thing I liked about Demons Souls was how some of the weapons couldn't be upgraded, but had really high stat scaling. I think they could just drop upgrades and have damage come from your stats and gem slots, so it increases as you level up / find better gems without having to grind for mats

Zodar
May 21, 2007

In Training posted:

The low health makes me insanely nervous

That fight is already stressful enough as it is. All the boss fights in BB ratchet up in intensity as the fight goes on but the Shadows are the gnarliest, with the last guy alive jumping around summoning giant snakes

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Dark Souls 1 has really good map modeling and shadows, even if they're mostly "baked" (fixed, as opposed to dynamic lighting). It's good at disguising its repeating textures and giving every area a unique color scheme. DS2 feels really washed-out in comparison, like some of the areas don't have any lighting at all and 75% of the game is cool browns and greys. I hear they fixed that in SOTFS tho

Zodar
May 21, 2007

In Training posted:

It's funny when stuff slips through the cracks with the lighting models and you will walk through a door and suddenly be in a different color scheme even though theses no discernible light source.

The transition into blightown is my favorite. You walk through a little gate, or too far down a tunnel, and suddenly everything turns dark green, like someone flipped on a blacklight

Zodar
May 21, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

i love the giant grave stones. why are they so big? if they are that big then what on earth is buried under them

The bodies buried under them give them nutrients, so they grow like trees. Every so often you come across one that's cracked open, exposing viscera. Everything in Yharnam is alive and bleeding

Zodar
May 21, 2007

DS2 combat was an enemy going horizontal swing, horizontal swing, big overhead swing, and then you attack him

Zodar
May 21, 2007

The last fight of the DLC is so wild... crawls out of a beached corpse looking like afterbirth, then starts flying around doing Sephiroth poo poo

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

chalice rom is still the worst boss ever. gently caress those spiders randomly oneshotting you and gently caress rom's struggle attack where he's untouchable for as long as he feels like

The worst fight is Chalice Paarl, actually, and the nicest thing I can say about him is that there's no real reason to beat him

Zodar
May 21, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

a ton of souls enemies are straight out of the d&d bestiary, and its badass

The big blender-mouth things from Lost Izalith w all the eyes look like a drawing out of the 1E monster manual. Miyazaki cites old untranslated western fantasy books as a major source of inspiration so that might actually be the case

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Whenever Ludwig does the ceiling jump I always mash roll in one direction whilst screaming and somehow that's always worked for me. 9/10 of my deaths are to his charge hitting me at pointblank range during a dodge frame, killing me instantly. I need to get better at baiting his sweeping claw attack & horse kick because I can actually dodge those now, and baiting dodgeable moves was my secret to beating Artorias (when he does the Stinger to close distance, it leaves him wide open)

How much of a difference does def make in this game? Even at best I always figured it was a negligible "die in 3.1 hits instead of 2.9 hits" deal, like the previous games or MH, but in some circumstances that is an extra hit

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I've been listening to the BB soundtrack outside the context of the game and its so much better than DKS2's, especially the DLC tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSk8-pJkX8
Cleric beast's theme starts out as the standard wailing+string stings, then after the 3 minute mark it turns into this evil warbling digital poo poo. Really cool effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8t5ay0-YU
Living Failures is a very easy fight with a lot of interesting things going on in it -- reminds me of Demons Souls boss fights in that regard -- and apparently its theme is a tribute to Gustav Holst? Very cool

Zodar
May 21, 2007

At first I thought it was weird that you could unlock the DLC so early, when it's intended for post-Yar'ghul characters, but then I realized that you can deathsprint in to grab one of the 5+ new weapons in its first area, within an hour of starting the game. Now I think its really cool, and a nice gesture

e: If you plan on doing this, I'd recommend picking the Hunter's Axe, talking to Alfred in the little church for some Fire Paper, and going far enough into Old Yharnam to get 10k souls and enough bloodstone shards to get the axe to +3. That should give you everything you need to beat Amelia

I wish it was possible to get decent elemental gems without spending hours going through chalice dungeons

Zodar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 27, 2015

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

yea, it was in dark souls as well. you can also hit enemies with the handle of a weapon instead of landing a proper hit and it does less damage too. try it out with the kirkhammer :P that was in dark souls too i think.

IIRC the kirkhammer was hosed up so the haft did more damage than the hammerhead, you had to be as close to the enemy as possible for max damage. They might have patched that with Old Hunters, I don't know. I'm glad this game is more generous with its sweetspots than DS2, where hitting with any other part of the weapon did pitiful damage; it made halberds, scythes etc. useless

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Sometimes the Watchdog's charge will kill you when you're standing behind it. That fight reminds me of the PSP Monster Hunters, in that its manageable but very long, and it has 1-2 moves with weird hitboxes that hit hard enough to make you start the whole thing over.

The Souls games had slower enemies and more generous I-frames on dodging, their emphasis was on precision and patience. It's telling that in order to make more difficult enemies in that model, they basically made proto-Bloodborne bosses like Artorias and Manus, who are extremely fast and aggressive, and severely punish mistimed attacks by the player. BB starts at that level of aggression with Gascoine and the Cleric Beast, but instead of demanding precise dodges and caution from the player, it rewards aggression and proactive, rather than reactive, play. The rally system makes trading hits a valid strategy, as long as you're smart about which hits you trade. I think this works well for most of the game, but starts to show its seams in the optional late-game content, where enemies hit you so hard and so quickly that rallying isn't an option. Then it's about precision and caution again, but with enemies that are magnitudes faster and harder to read than anything in DkS, save Gwyn.

I think the DLC bosses are actually better designed for the player's ability set than bosses like the Bloodletting Beast. Ludwig is extremely fast/aggressive, but his hardest-hitting moves have tells and a windup, and you can safely rally from his weaker, faster moves by dodging towards him and hacking at his midsection. Maria and OoK seem unmanageable until you realize that the safest place to be is right next to them; between that, Rally, and the possibility of stunning them, those fights also reward proactive play. In the hardest main-game fights, the dodge-dash is a liability because it has few I-frames and you take extra damage during it. In the DLC fights, it's extremely useful, because your position relative to the boss and staying on top of them is more important than rolling through their attack frames. I would rather do any of those fights again than Defiled Watchdog.

Anyway difficulty is only one of many things I like about Souls bosses, and I think you can only crank a boss's speed, damage and health up so high before it stops being exhilarating and starts being tedious. I'd like to see more novel setpiece bosses in DkSIII, like the Adjudicator or the Living Failures, where the area is part of the fight instead of an empty arena. gently caress Loran Darkbeast

Zodar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2016

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Solo O&S is my favorite fight in the series, and since I never bought XBL, that's the only way I ever beat it. I also think they demand more caution and precision than any other fight in the series, in that you always have to be aware of both of them -- this was where I learned to stop locking on, and to manually adjust my camera so they both stayed onscreen -- and time your attacks so Smough doesn't flatten you while you attack Ornstein, or vice-versa. You're moving around the room, minding their positions relative to each other, the pillars and your character, and looking for pauses between two movesets with very different rhythms. It's like a midterm exam of stuff the game teaches you about situational awareness & its combat mechanics.

To be fair I never brought a weapon into the fight that could kill them in 5 hits. The strongest was a +2/3 enchanted great club that killed S in ~7 hits (O has much higher magic resistance), and even then I had to be extra mindful of the stuff above because of how slow that weapon is. I don't know if the BKS is an outlier in terms of damage, I haven't had it drop before the Kiln since 2012.

I think BB's character movement is better suited for the bosses in the main game and DLC, than the bosses in the lower chalice dungeons. I felt like they hit so hard that avoiding their attacks was a higher priority than attacking, and it was much harder for me to do that with the locked dodge-dash than the unlocked dodge-roll. It felt like I had to play around the game's mechanics to succeed, rather than use them to my advantage.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

i think zodar may be a big retard and im not reading any of his essay posts

That's your prerogative, my guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8t5ay0-YU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Dexters Secret posted:

zodar loving owns