Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

I like Smart Britta who makes mistakes more than Dumb Britta who's just dumb. She kicked his rear end (conversationally) in the pilot, and it really made me like the characters more.

A smart person can only make so many mistakes before they cross the line into just being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

i greatly enjoyed this season, second best imo, but i will admit i'm an extreme outlier

I enjoyed it all, even season 4...

I mean, compared to The Big Bang Theory and every other lovely sitcom on TV even the worst of Community was enjoyable comparatively (but also at it's worst I didn't hate it, it's just an episode I won't care to re-watch).

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 2, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

El Tortuga posted:

It's a silly show about people acting silly meant only for entertainment and humor, not changing the world or anything like that???

Am I talking about Lip-Synch Battle or Community?

It's fun to watch people who I enjoy be goofy and perform a dance routine. I really liked the Anne Hathaway one. Alison Brie was pretty good too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

a cop posted:

I saw a movie on Cinemax that had Joel Mchale playing a cop who fights demons or something..it was weird.

Joel is a working actor in Hollywood, he pops up in poo poo all the time, same with most of the rest of the cast. Most people in hollywood work this way, it's not a bad career, at least it doesn't seem that way since they all seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

McHale is set hosting the Soup. Community and the Soup are probably his peak. He's not a good enough actor to do too much more.

He's a terrible actor and comedian, but he gets roles and does stand up, it doesn't matter apparently. He's probably the most "successful" of the bunch right now.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Yeah Harmontown is pretty silly in that way, they give the audience a voice and generally it's terrible people who are willing to interrupt shows. In a normal stand up or improv setting it's common for people on stage to berate or at least admonish hecklers in some way. Not put a mic in their face. If I recall correctly the lady was drunk and really annoying. She just kept repeating her "I wasn't doing anything wrong" excuse.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm working my way through Harmontown and it's both hilarious and very depressing how often they're setting themselves up for future tragedy. Hey, look Robin Williams unexpectedly turns up! Let's talk about how much we love David Bowie for 20 minutes! Harris Wittels guests! And of course, there's Dan talking about how much he loves Erin and how they're going to be together forever and have kids every other episode.

I did the same, watch the documentary after the tour, it really felt like I was watching/listening to an alcoholic spiral into depression during that whole era.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

They play Shadowrun now. They're comically bad at it, and it's pretty fun.

Although Dan has seemed emotionally down the last couple of shows. :ohdear:

Really? I think he's just playing up his incredulity because of Schrab, also Spencer not being there totally changes the dynamic of the show. I can't wait for them to try something else, Shadowrun is too complicated and has lots of dice to roll, they really need a more simple system like pathfinder.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Ooooh - if I feel off of Psych, should I just jump back in starting with the last season and finish it out?

I watched it until the end, but honestly there isn't enough to go back for. If you have nothing else to watch it wouldn't hurt. I think the drop off in quality was probably due to the characters just being very one dimensional and any time they became more than that they would undercut it (or straight up get rid of them).

XboxPants posted:

Surprisingly Limitless has decided to go in that direction as well, it wouldn't be too far off to call it a spiritual successor to Psych. Like they did an aliens episode, spy intrigue episode, ferris bueller, etc. There's an slightly serious ongoing narrative but mostly it's pretty similar.

I've been digging that about limitless, though the dramatic parts are the majority of the episodes so I wouldn't really put it in the same category as Psych. Fun watch if you don't take it too seriously

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megaspel posted:

I remember before TAZ, I used to listen to the Penny Arcade DnD podcasts, and they've had a few big high budget events with props and stuff. That was years ago though, don't know if it holds up, I've sorta grown to dislike them in general.

Acquisitions Inc is on YouTube, they have a great DM but they're definitely not focusing on being funny, they're just playing the game. Sometimes funny stuff happens but I listen for the story, it's pretty good.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

kickascii posted:

Yikes, Dan stopped drinking? Hard to believe. I used to really love Harmontown but his relentless identity politics started to annoy me too much and I stopped listening 5 or 6 months ago. I should check back in and see how he's doing.

He's still drinking, I think they were just commenting on the fact that he isn't drinking during Harmonquest the Seeso show.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Just wait til the US version of Misfits comes out.

Preacher?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Sefer posted:

It still has a lot of good parts; I laughed a lot. It just wasn't as consistently good. I think part of it was Dan and Jeff sticking with their characters' feud for the entire season. It was fine the first time but them being stubborn assholes to each other about it after they made up again and again got really old.

Yeah that was a weird choice since they seemed to make up almost every episode only to be angry again the next. I think Dan kept going back to that because he didn’t have any better ideas to generate conflict. I hope there’s a 3rd season though, I think the story is great and the guests really make each episode.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I was ready to take it with a pinch of salt because he’s always been good at being self-effacing without learning from his mistakes but nah that’s a damned good confession.

I think people like him do a lot of “not thinking about it”, so while he may be remorseful and mean it I think he’s likely to do something like this again. I enjoy Dan but he’s a pretty flawed guy. I don’t think people should be congratulating him for what he did, but they should take his advice and look at themselves critically and think about what they’re doing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

There's a strong undercurrent in all of Fey's work that posits the idea that anybody offended by anything, no matter how legitimate, is the real problem and that everybody should just shut up and laugh at the problematic joke. Unless it's about white cis women. Then you're an rear end in a top hat.

I suppose you could look at it that way, I've always taken it as a way to call out those issues without being preachy. But that might just be me being hopeful that she doesn't actually think minorities etc. are the butt of the joke...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

An entire season of Kimmy Schmidt contained a running gag that an asian man had a name that's slang for penis.

My assumption is that it's making fun of that trope... but that's probably hopeful thinking...

hanales posted:

I dunno I remember pages being devoted to bashing her because she said people should eat cake instead of protest. I feel like a lot of people like really don’t get her.

Yeah, I'm probably being hopeful...

• Locked thread