Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
^^ Truest story ever told. I really like the game but it's a far cry from Skyrim or basically any other MMO I've played. It does a lot of stuff like either but nothing quite like either or both. It's also kinda hard to describe to people.

Nordick posted:

I've seen some sorcerers get kickin' rad glowing blue eyes, I'm not sure but I think it's one of those skills.

That's not a Sorc thing, it's a morph of Magelight. Inner Light I think, the one that gives you a sweetass :siren: SPELL CRIT BUFF :siren: and you'll see it on DKs/Templars/NBs focusing on spell power (but NBs focusing on spell power are the worst poo poo ever according to the pubbie horde, make of that what you will).

Basically if you're a wizard with lightning and a sweetass lightning stick you need to have glowing eyes and do your best Big Trouble In Little China Three Storms pastiche all the time.

e: Fighters Guild has a :siren: WEAPON CRIT BUFF :siren: just so everyone knows. It's a morph of Expert Hunter and for stamina builds it is the bee's knees. Just works passively all the time, and you only pull the trigger on it when you really really want to gently caress up some undead/daedra/werewolves.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

Actually, it's exceedingly rare I use either. I deliberately came up with a dual resource build so I can reliably kill mobs in a few hits. If I ever need to use a basic attack, it's a quick melee to finish someone off when I miscalculate a killing blow with a skill.

You might try threading light attacks and partial - charge heavies into your ability usage. It performs better, feels more active, and is more challenging to make work. It is also what will be expected in high end dungeon or trial runs.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

GOD DAMNIT TONY WHAT THE gently caress

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Sogol posted:

Restoring Aura- just always have this slotted. Slotted it increases Magika and Stam regen by 10%, active by 20%. I usually keep it activated. I have not tried The Repentance Morph yet, but I think it might be very good for grouping. No cost, fueled by corpses. For solo I would need to switch to a more AoE build and do larger pulls I think.

Repentance is a kickass morph for an AoE DPS trash-clearing bar. It's a blip towards feeling like a triform warshade (from City of Heroes) after clearing a tough dungeon pull, if you did well. You get that viscerally satisfying moment of your health and stamina just refilling while a bunch of yellow-green lasers hit you all at once.

The fiddly bit is, I think it scales from spell power still. If you're stacking weapon power it will be less potent per corpse, but if you're doing a Whirlwind build, odds are good there'll be a lot of corpses by the time you hit that button.

It's less useful during a fight but in many situations it'll be just enough to keep you going if the main healer drops. I'd go with the other morph as a tank or healer, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Jesus Beam is another ability entirely - it's the execute from the Bright Wizard solar magic skill line Templars get. It's pretty drat good if you want a single-target magicka attack that does more damage the lower your target's health is. (Which you do, as a Templar.)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah i'm going to remake a character tomorrow. a fatass nord templar.

If you really, really, really want to be a pure 2h sword character, a DK works really well for that too. The only class ability you need is Dragon's Blood. Morph it to Green Dragon's Blood. Swing your sword all day long, fire off Momentum to have The Power Of Greyskull, and then just crush things with Wrecking Blow and Critical Charge.

Granted, all of these 2h sword skills will be the same on a Templar. Green Dragon's Blood is just kind of the perfect berserker skill.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Being a super - maxed werewolf is a ton of fun too, especially if you're built to tank. You're just tough as poo poo and don't have to give a gently caress.

Vampire has bat swarm though, which has a life draining morph and is a fire and forget DOT. Basically worth being a vampire all on its own. BATS EVERYWHERE

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Nightblade tanking owns. I was able to tank a VR 12 scale dungeon with my Nightblade at V5 while Aoasha, Berke, and Twaffo butchered their way through it.

Also, I dropped my Undaunted Monster set and went with a 3 piece Torug's for Helm, Shoulders, and Staff to up my spell damage on my Sorcerer. 2900 spell damage with Power Surge active and 2500 base. My Dark Fragments insta proc hits for 20k crit :stare:

And of course, 40k damage shield, effectively tripling my health :getin:

What do you put on your bar as a NB tank? I really like nightblade and tanking but so far my theoretical setup is Ransack, Swallow Soul, Mirage, Leeching Strikes, and ?????
I'm also at a loss for a second bar.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Safe to assume both bars are 1hs? Back when Haste was a thing there was a case to be made for DW nightblade tanking, leeching strikes and flurry but I'm pretty sure that era is long dead.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

The xp bar on the skill line will say that if you hover your mouse over it, iirc.

If you're on a console, I guess you're kind of screwed in that regard. :confuoot:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Eric Wobler

Just call the poor guy Stiffler, don't go halfway on it.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, number one is to stop thinking that way. DKs make excellent tanks, but so do Sorcs and Nightblades and Templars. It's more whether you want to have spooky black poo poo or spooky purple poo poo and lightning or a bunch of glowy yellow poo poo or to poo poo fire for days.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Now, if I could only find a bow...

Scyantific posted:

Steal one.

Seriously, this. If you need any anything, just steal it.

Bow skills are p. fun. I like Magnum Shot, it's not, like, the best DPS in the world or anything, but it's pretty good at what it does.

e: I realized you're probably on the prowl for a good bow to steal already. What alliance are you? Some places just don't have bows out in the open, but certain furniture items will have gear in them sometimes if you're robbing peoples' houses I think.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

In the beta, there was an issue where sometimes your helmet would get eaten when you deconstructed things. I thought that got pretty hardcore fixt, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

tgidieday posted:

You got it, a magicka staves and light armor build, just up close because that's where burning embers needs you to be. It's more challenging than playing ranged, so pick up one medium and one heavy piece for some added toughness (and to level them).

Dual-wielding for a DK short-range fire build will give you a spike in spell power, I think. You don't get any heavy attack magicka regen, so unless you've got other means for magicka recovery you might end up pretty dry.

I'd recommend, a fire destro staff with, like, elemental drain and obsidian shield on your second bar if you're trying out the dual wielding spell way. Elemental drain persists across bar swaps, so you can throw it on a target and then blast the crap out of them. A part of me wants to say you should bring rally, but it'd be a cruel joke for a magicka build.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Provisioning materials are universal, also. Red meat is red meat, all the way to VR14. If you don't need it right now, junk it, and rob the bosmer down the street later when you do.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Open question for the high-level nightblades in the thread:

With Siphoning Strikes, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving? Instincts are telling me light but there's a lot of visual reinforcement of heavy attack weaving that it makes me question.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Grahtwood's the second major Aldmeri zone, yeah. The city in question is Elden Root. The bank in question evidently has vampire trolls or something. :rolleyes:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Every character does melee pretty well, but differently. DKs are noteworthy because of an ability they can pick up and morph into a stamina-restoring spike self-heal that costs magicka to cast and animates like goddamn instantly, so they become very efficient.

Templars get to suck health and stamina from nearby dead bodies through the power of regret or something, which is also pretty good for stamina builds. Nightblades are my favourite, but they lack the two super-distinct advantages those two classes have and instead have an ability that leeches resources from weapon hits. That ability used to be a toggle but is now a short-duration buff, which has functionally led to a lot of people (Scyantific?) no longer being on speaking terms with it.

Sorcerers make great melee builds because you can turtle up and surround yourself with pets and maybe hit things with a sword sometimes. That's kind of like melee, right?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

tgidieday posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of 60% healing on crit.

Hey, I didn't say sorcs are terrible at stam/melee builds - I was just saying pets are pretty popular right now!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

You can get the same buff for weapon critical potions give you via the FG skill Expert Hunter.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Scyantific posted:

A) Grouping tool is still loving useless. People are reporting that they're getting paired up with VR16s at level 15, and even with "battle leveling" they're having a hard time clearing a v16 scaled dungeon. People are also reporting issues with battle leveling not working at all, or only working for certain party members. Conclusion: Avoid the LFG tool

The level restrictions were supposed to go, it's in the patch notes. BL problems are pretty loving scary, though, that's for drat sure. I wonder if the people not being battle leveled are forming their groups via LFM.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Dunmer dragonknights will never not be awesome. I am reasonably sure of this; if you want fire they do the fire more fire than any other fire.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, I mean, there is no wrong race really* but I am partial to dunmer.

*Argonians may in fact be wrong

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

That's really depressing.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I don't even know where to begin with that. Cats are closer to dragons than Argonians. Argonians were trees, are trees, will once again be trees.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Directionality of block isn't as straightforward as it seems in an online environment. I mean, I agree, but it would work better if nothing like Cyrodiil existed... and nothing should work one way everywhere else, and another way in Cyrodiil.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Sometimes the decision to use an unsigned integer doesn't play well with the team's later decision to crank all combat stats up nearly tenfold. That is a super, super vague description of what actually caused it; things are a bit sillier than they actually seem.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

e: whoops

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 12, 2015

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I should stop posting things. Sorry, guys.

e; further please edit my quotes from your posts.

• Locked thread