Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Isometric
Hosted by three women including one of GamerGate's favored targets, Isometric focuses on talking about video gaming from a different perspective. Includes lots of in jokes about hand turkeys and Georgia Dow being an incredibly polite Canadian serial killer, and on some weeks a lot of really frustrated laughing.
Hosted by Brianna Wu, Maddy Myers, Georgia Dow, and Steve Lubitz
Site Itunes RSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm only ~15 hours in but the main quality of life improvement on crafting in W3 is that you only need to make a given potion / bomb / decoction / blade oil once. After that, every time you meditate if you have any of the base ingredient in your inventory it'll just be refilled. I don't mean particular herbs or whatever, either -- once you make a potion you just need to refill it with alcohol, because apparently homeopathy actually works in the Witcher world.

Crafting gear is a bit clunky too, but at the very least you can compare the gear to what you have equipped on the crafting screen itself -- the lack of that functionality was one of the worst parts of DA:I's. The easiest thing to miss (for me at least) was that a bunch of the crafting gear has level requirements to actually wear.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

King of Dragon Pass would be a good WOFF, but it'd be a nightmare to do, because Kole and Gary would have pretty separate experiences.

I wanted to say the same thing -- a KoDP WOFF would be amazing. I don't think the separate experiences would be that bad either. Master of Orion 2 was a great episode, and while two playthroughs of KoDP can go in different places they'll almost always have a bunch of events in common (what'd you do with the ducks, that stupid generational feud, etc) or just weird crap happening to comment on. It's a really unique game that combines management elements of 4X games with gamebook / choose your own adventure stuff so it's right in their wheelhouse.

I want more people to play KoDP always though so maybe I have a weird outlook. All-time classic.

There's also a lot of game-design meat to pick at, too. Some people don't think the game explains enough, but not knowing how things work and using mostly superstition to make choices is sort of a central and thematic element. Here a pretty good writeup, and you can even get it on iOS. I mean seriously it's a perfect WOFF game.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 11, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Is this anime?

E: man I just noticed how hosed that clan ring is, whoever's playing needs to learn how to honor the gods.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

then King of Dragon Pass.

yessssssssss

I'm doing this (secret) dance right now

Read the manual! And maybe this post (or not if you want to fumble around, which is totally reasonable. Read the manual for sure though, the game basically expects you to.)

Don't forget to select the long game when you start or else the game ends like halfway through in a silly way.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 20, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Woffle posted:

TL:DR Hentai is loving gross. Stop it.

But we're lonely and real life girls are scary and possibly have cooties (this is unconfirmed)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't think that means we can't talk about it or include it. A lot of awful poo poo happens you know. I don't know its weird.

You're falling into a bit of a rhetorical trap here. We certainly can talk about it, and Kojima definitely can include whatever he wants. The question is more whether or not he should and what it means that he does / whether or not it's gross and unnecessary and if the narrative would lose anything by not including it. Like, there are other places you can put a second bomb.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm sorry that I spoiled the skeleton jamboree, WOFF guys. :smith:

In my defense, it was before you actually announced the episode and I thought it was the best possible thing to show that would convince you to play it. Great episode! If you want a bunch of lorepostin' there's a thread in Trad Games about Glorantha.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

This is literally the full extent of my exposure to Blaster Master:

I just want to say that I had a wicked bad elementary-school crush on the female lead from this. I think? It's been a while. Was her name Sophia or was that the tank?

The important thing to know about Blaster Master is the intro. I don't think video games have ever told a more compelling story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8b02474FM

And the fanfare before you get into level one is loving rad and the level one music is still some of the best in the business.

In general I'd put Blaster Master on the same tier as Bionic Commando in terms of best NES games. Too much backtracking and just wandering around without knowing where to go and it can get grindy if you decide to keep your gun upgraded all the way but it's good stuff.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 16, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Sophia is the tank and the main character is a dude named Jason.

Nah man clearly you're not familiar with the deep lore of Blaster Master.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

ja2ke posted:

I'm not sure how configurable it is because I haven't tried,

100%, under big picture mode -> settings -> controller configurations -> Desktop. I think they actually added that in the last week or so, the menu is different than when I first looked. There are grayed-out spots for big picture mode config and web browser config too, which will be nice. The first thing I tried to do was figure out how to make the paddles be left and right click instead of the shoulders.

I have problems with inconsistent detection that I haven't figured out. Some combination of steam being on or off or in big picture mode can make it not notice the controller turned on. Annoying.

I like the controller a lot, but I haven't used it for anything really action oriented like an FPS besides just to test it. Felt weird. It works great for playing Pillars of Eternity or Shadowrun from the couch, though. At least so far. Anything pausable or turn based that needed a mouse. Dungeon of the Endless works basically perfectly.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Listening to the WOFF about System Shock, and the part where they talk about how it's double-lonely because the only other living voice hates you made me realize how much I want an episode on The Void. Nothing I've played does lonely blasted desperation like The Void, and it has a full cast of characters. The thing is, if you're going to choose one Ice-Pick lodge game to to it'd have to be Pathologic, right? Maybe next Halloween. I could see an Abject Suffering on Knock-Knock, because that game is opaque as hell and relatively short. Can't be worse than mountain biking.

The main problem I have with Ice Pick's oeuvre is they're all excellent pieces of art but they're not always fun to actually play so I think people making podcasts on them might be one of the better avenues of experience.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Tae posted:

I feel like half the game podcast network is filled with colorblind people.

It's like 10% of all guys, so it sort of makes sense that there are a bunch of them around.

I have pretty bad red / green colorblindness and I made it through The Void without too much trouble. Well, I never completely finished it but I stopped due to screwing up in ways that had nothing to do with the type of color I was using. I actually had more trouble telling Amber from Gold than Emerald from Crimson, because they used distinct enough shades and the world is usually stark enough that it stands out. It was quite playable with my dumb eyes, but it depends on the relative dumbness we're talking about here.

Just having a list of the Sister's color preferences helps a ton, because the little splashes of color it shows when you're talking to them are one of the only times it's not specifically labelled. It can stink if you move hell and high water to get what you think is a splash if violet that turns out to be azure but you're usually concerned with hoovering up whatever drips of color you can manage so the specific type isn't that important.

Basically, play The Void. It has a really distinct atmosphere that leads to an unparalleled sense of tension and existential dread.

E: Man, the new Starcraft release and the announcement of a VR thing called The Void really makes it hard to dig up videos. Maybe try this.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2015

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Phone posted:

Some nerd who plays video games doesn't know about all of the various screen recording programs that are available and how "easy to use" they are. I bet the IGN people don't even play video games since they screwed up such an easy to confirm real life fact. It's about ethics in games podcasts.

Nah, they're mad about the fact that a video pointing out the mistake was taken down due to a copyright claim, which is.... a bit more of a legit beef? Like, the person that put up the original 'lol these game journos don't know their asses from holes in the ground' video was a butthole, but whoever it was at IGN that told youtube to pull down the content was also a bit of an idiot. Now the buttholes get to crow about censorship (their favorite subject) in addition to the above. I think?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Maybe 98% of the population would be able to tell the difference between that dude's red and green buckets, but why not just make it black and white and avoid having to deal with the repercussions when one of the 2% has an issue?

That's is one of the weirdest things to me. Take Dota, or more specifically pro Dota matches. There's a major tournament underway right now that has around 200K viewers on Twitch as I write this. Assuming 5% red / green colorblind (which is probably an underestimate) that's ~10K people who have a really hard time telling which team is which in the middle of a busy fight. And Dota has a colorblind option built in that changes life bars to blue / green! Why major events (or streamers in general) don't default to colorblind mode is completely mystifying to me. There's literally no downside!

For what it's worth, the very worst game to play with dumb eyes is Puzzle Fighter. How I wish I could play Puzzle Fighter without sitting a foot away from the TV and squinting a lot.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

Idle Weekend is live.

I did not know it was going to veer into some pop culture talk too and I'm now even more curious how this show came out, but I am too dead tired to put this on right now. Please don't suck for the sake of 10-hours-hence me, Rob and Danielle.

I'm not sure if you got the right link there but what you actually linked is pretty amazing so it's hard to complain.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

That's a pretty common trend for old PC gamers because if you weren't around for Myst's tremendous hype you don't understand. It was THE video game. Housewives, businessmen, everyone was aware of Myst.

"Guerrillas in the Myst." Wired magazine, Aug 1994

quote:

"It was addictive," he says, "but I knew it had an end. I was pretty sure, anyway. Most of the time. The only problem was when I began clicking on things in real life. I'd see a manhole cover and think, 'Hmmm, that looks pretty interesting,' and my forefinger would start to twitch. And then I'd realize, 'No, it's real life. Real life is the thing that happens in between Myst.'"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

EC posted:

- call the heli
- wait around while the heli blares the final countdown or some other nonsense

If it's autosaved recently you can just hit start and do 'return to ACC.'

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Phone posted:

I haven't played it in a week, but I couldn't figure out what the gimmick was for the desert biome.

I had the same problem. I assumed I'd just need to learn the rules somewhere else on the island, but nope. I ended up skimming an LP just to get the knowledge that the solution is (I'm putting this very mildly but spoilering anyway) environmental in nature -- IE, everything I needed to solve it was somewhere close by and even without the ACTUAL solution I went back there and figured it out within like 5 minutes. That's really my only complaint with the puzzle design, in that it's not clear at all if an puzzle being unsolvable is not knowing the rules intrinsic to that type of puzzle or just something you haven't noticed in the world. It's a hard balance to strike, though. Sometimes when you figure it out you feel like a total genius, other times it just feels arbitrary.

More on topic, if I listen to this abject suffering backwards at double speed with some specific filters in place, how many clues are there for frog fractions 2? I'm only listening to it now so apologies if this joke is already beaten to death by the end of the episode.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 9, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

They just say the name of an early-game location. I watched a 'first thirty minutes' video and the thing that is spoiled is place you get to maybe 15 minutes in. YMMV if you consider it huge.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

If I went into DS3 completely blind then yeah when the title card for Firelink Shrine showed up with the dooonk sound I would probably have done an :aaa: of wonder and excitement for a moment and that moment will now not exist for me, but I assume there will be plenty of other things like that so I can't say it's a big deal to me personally. I'd say things shouldn't count as spoilers if they're in the first half hour or so of a game, but then there's stuff like Firewatch that apparently has significant events in the intro that I don't know because people have been kind enough to to not talk about them too openly. :shrug:

Basically some minor poo poo is going to get spoiled and I'd rather that happen than endless hemming and hawing. Best solution is to timestamp things and include it in the podcast description (ie, 'discussion on X game ends at T time') but that's a bunch of extra effort and note-taking.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

It's hard to call roguelike an accurate description when the definition has been watered down pretty far at this point. Classical roguelikes were games that were actually very much like Rogue, in that they were top-down ascii-art turn-based RPG dungeon crawlers with permadeath and procedural generation. Only the last two bits are still considered important to be a roguelike, and the permadeath isn't even as all-in as it used to be (see stuff like Rogue Legacy or Crypt of the Necrodancer where you unlock stuff for later runs.)

Another part is that it's just sort of an overused buzzword that doesn't carry a huge amount of meaning anymore so you can attach it to a lot of things, and to some people the procedural generation that 'roguelike' mainly implies now leads to empty worlds without much interesting content.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 16, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

None of the games you listed would be considered proper traditional roguelikes by someone inclined to be semantic or grognardy. Now that I think of it playing Necrodancer with the bard (or whichever character it is where you don't have to worry about being on beat) is a very simplified traditional roguelike but that kinda goes against the point of the game.

Note that I'm not saying they're NOT roguelikes, because language changes over time. The definition of it being a run-based game is basically what they are now but not what they originally were. Here's the video that played after the rogue one I linked that I just skimmed through where a dude goes through a bunch of what some would consider real roguelikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-D_369WdQU

Edit: switched to a different video that isn't an hour long. This one includes Isaac and FTL but you'll note almost all the other ones are tiled turn-based dungeon crawlers -- for a long time that's what roguelike meant.

By the same token, calling a game darksouls-ish to me implies that it'll be hard, the world will be pretty bleak, and you won't generally unlock many new mechanics through gameplay (ie, you'll USUALLY be doing the same sort of stuff to the last boss that you do the first, but maybe with a bigger shinier sword.)

The problem is that these are not universally agreed upon definitions, so people will squabble about what exactly a descriptor means and some people will look at a store page and decide it's a misleading adjective. I dunno that there's a real way to win here -- games and movies and all media have always been described as 'it's X meets Y with maybe a splash of Z!'

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Eh, the game has a lot in it, but there's a certain point where you realize just how small it is. Like I unlocked the bridge repair and bus repair, and the areas you get access to through them are a few screens in size total.

I read this, assumed you were talking about Dark Souls 3, and now I want to see a dilapidated bus station that portrays the deep sorrow of a magnificent transit system doomed to slow and possibly endless descent into ruin.

• Locked thread