Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm getting slightly excited to play this again once the modding stuff is out.

Yeah I think I'll give it another try again after a couple of months of having no interest. New assets (even if they're only houses), official mod support, new patch, and a little bump in interest in the game. Game will still have issues I'm sure, but hopefully the official modding API gets us mods that can do a little more or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

At the very least I'm going to watch some streams of modded gameplay and see if it looks fun. If it does then GamePass is the way

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm waiting for assets because I like my cities to look cool and they just don't with the base game stuff.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
have we heard anything more on the huge asset pack that was supposed to come out? Will it be with the mod update or after?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

have we heard anything more on the huge asset pack that was supposed to come out? Will it be with the mod update or after?

It's waiting on the asset editor, won't come before then. I forget what the latest vague estimate on the asset editor is, but don't expect it for months, maybe end of year.

I'm not sure the assets in it are even ready tbh, from the vague whispers I see in the modding discords, the creators kind of have to wait for the asset editor to be ready to finalize whatever models they may have in to assets ready to be used.

I have no idea why they announced it so early, that seemed like a huge misfire.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Oh there was a dev stream that I didn't even know about, which I wouldn't normally care about but this time it has something fascinating:

https://twitch.tv/videos/2097137870

non-rectangular tiles

I don't know if that's a mod or not, or something new with the map editor, but you can make tiles be polygons in maps.

They also show off paradox mods and a few mods like Move It! in it.

Oh poo poo they show off the 4 new palm trees from the Beach Properties DLC at 1:09:29 and it's actually 4 different palm trees, not variations on the same one, or different age stages of the same one.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Still just not going to touch it until asset packs are available. The game isn't challenging in a way that I can ignore how boring my city looks.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

piratepilates posted:

Oh poo poo they show off the 4 new palm trees from the Beach Properties DLC at 1:09:29 and it's actually 4 different palm trees, not variations on the same one, or different age stages of the same one.

Love that expectations are so low that this bears mentioning.

The modding stuff looks solid, although it seems weird to me that custom assets apparently aren't coming until later. I could imagine picking this up once those come along.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I do find it kind of... ballsy? To release a paid DLC while your base game is still fundamentally broken in many ways.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had to. The paid DLC was part of the ultimate edition, which they already sold. And they're running late on it, too. No matter how much it would be better putting the effort into the base game, they have to get the ultimate edition content out.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
City Planner Plays has a video showcasing the mod manager and the patch in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWVBDEcVZ4

Edit: The Beach Properties DLC looks bad...

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 24, 2024

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

lagidnam posted:

The Beach Properties DLC looks bad...

No kidding. Four new trees that really don't belong on any current map, a bunch of non-beachy looking housing models that repeat or look like recolors, and bugs that haven't been fixed. It really feels like they were and are planning on modders to fix this for them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the point of beach front property access to the beach? They are almost all surrounded by fences.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Popete posted:

Isn't the point of beach front property access to the beach?
No it’s mostly for the view, and knowing there will never be a building built that blocks it. Fences can have gates.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lagidnam posted:

City Planner Plays has a video showcasing the mod manager and the patch in general.

It is really actually quite impressive how non-beachy the "beaches" pack is. A bunch of generic house models that have nothing particularly beachy about them, zero things that actually actually interact with shoreline like key walls, piers, marinas, or anything like that, and... four palm trees. :effort:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

RadioDog posted:

It really feels like they were and are planning on modders to fix this for them.

I mean you knew it was going to be poo poo. They have plainly stated that they were constrained by resources but also had to shove something out the door. The 10 dollar price tag, probably forced on them by paradox, is bad though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

lagidnam posted:

It's good to see the improvements in performance at least.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it will be fixed but I was hoping the beach DLC would at least fix up houses along the beach where it creates a verticle cliff up to the property line instead of conforming nicely to the water.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Popete posted:

Maybe it will be fixed but I was hoping the beach DLC would at least fix up houses along the beach where it creates a verticle cliff up to the property line instead of conforming nicely to the water.

i don't think that one is ever being fixed

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Imagine if the game had a dynamic lot system, that could make infinite variations of lots with a bunch of base components. Imagine if it could generate lots of odd shapes and generate a sensible front yard or back yard for a single family home. Imagine if it had dynamic buildings made from components like front, side and back walls, and different roof shapes and window styles.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Speaking of disappointments due to a lack of sand, here's this absolutely unreal desert map someone is making that blows my mind. It uses a texture replacer mod to add sand, but how on earth is no other map this detailed?

"To celebrate the coming release of PDX Mods for Cities Skylines II, here are screenshots of the project I worked on during the map editor beta. It utilizes the Map Texture Replacer mod by Cgameworld to achieve the desert theme. It's based off Black Dragon Canyon, Utah. (reddit.com)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/1bn56q8/to_celebrate_the_coming_release_of_pdx_mods_for/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piratepilates posted:

Speaking of disappointments due to a lack of sand, here's this absolutely unreal desert map someone is making that blows my mind. It uses a texture replacer mod to add sand, but how on earth is no other map this detailed?

"To celebrate the coming release of PDX Mods for Cities Skylines II, here are screenshots of the project I worked on during the map editor beta. It utilizes the Map Texture Replacer mod by Cgameworld to achieve the desert theme. It's based off Black Dragon Canyon, Utah. (reddit.com)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/1bn56q8/to_celebrate_the_coming_release_of_pdx_mods_for/

they're probably using 1m DEMs or whatever for the height map source data. CS2 map terrain is significantly higher resolution in comparison to 1 if you take the actual map dimensions into account so they should wind up looking a lot better.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I saw the launch video for it, the map is honestly absolutely stunning

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Paradox mods site is up for everyone to use: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/games/cities_skylines_2?orderBy=desc&sortBy=best

Game patch is not out yet (comes out at 1pm EST I think), so you can't play with mods just yet, but can browse around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

piratepilates posted:

:captainpop:

(also the answer is only some people are crazy enough to do this kind of detail. and thank god for them making stuff for us)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

New patch just dropped: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/modding-wavelet-patch-1-1-0f1.1640000/

This looks interesting (also you'd think they'd have included these on launch, but alas):

quote:

Improved Land Value System
- Service Coverage of Healthcare, Education, Police and Telecom now affects Land Value
- Reachability of Commercial Services now affects Land Value
- Stops and Stations of Public Transportation now affect Land Value
- Noise, Water, Air and Ground Pollution now affect Land Value
- Shorelines now affects Land Value
- Added a max limit to Land Value bonus factor
- Replaced "Building Land Value" Info Mode with "Land Value Source" Info Mode in Land Value Info View
- "Rent Too High" warning notifications are now highlighted when Land Value Info View is active
- Added Land Value Tooltip to a cursor which shows the monetary value of the land or building where the building is located when Land Value Info View is active

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Beach Front DLC is getting roasted and rightfully so. I still am hoping this game gets fixed up because there is enough here to be a really good game but this DLC leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there even a way to make beaches in the game? Is this just a minimum viable product they had to get out to fulfill deluxe edition obligations?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not sure, maybe you could with the terrain tools? I was hoping at least that putting buildings along the coastline would fix the property lines causing vertical cliffs when they meet water.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like this shot from the official trailer for the beach properties DLC pack with ne'er a beach to be seen along the coastline.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game made me go back to Skylines 1, which is a pretty dang good game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's Beach Properties, the actual beach is sold separately.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

explosivo posted:

Is there even a way to make beaches in the game? Is this just a minimum viable product they had to get out to fulfill deluxe edition obligations?

You can make sand through the dev tools, I've seen a few people on Reddit do it.

Have to enable the dev tools to do it though, which is real lovely to make users have to do.

I don't know why they didn't throw together a quick surface painting tool for the DLC, the functionality is there in the dev tools, and they could just pay a modder 50 bucks to throw it together as a mod, but I guess that way you don't get a DLC with a 6% rating on steam, so.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bought the deluxe version of this game and I guess they were under some kind of legal pressure to get this DLC out the door but man it is very half baked. I'd rather they had just spent the time working on fixing the game and put the DLC out in the fall.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

explosivo posted:

I like this shot from the official trailer for the beach properties DLC pack with ne'er a beach to be seen along the coastline.

I like the winding footpaths through the woods by the coast. That would make for a lovely park... if parks could be anything but ploppables.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

You can make sand through the dev tools, I've seen a few people on Reddit do it.

Have to enable the dev tools to do it though, which is real lovely to make users have to do.

I don't know why they didn't throw together a quick surface painting tool for the DLC, the functionality is there in the dev tools, and they could just pay a modder 50 bucks to throw it together as a mod, but I guess that way you don't get a DLC with a 6% rating on steam, so.

Oh here's a way to make a beach, simply make an oil industry zone, which fills the zoned area with gravel (why does it do this by the way? pumpjacks are all you need to pump oil, they don't take that much space, and you only need gravel for where trucks will drive over and park), and sink half of it and you get a beach 🙃

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szC0eoLs3WA

Or use the dev tools and just throw a sand texture down somewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AC29EH7PnQ

blastron posted:

I like the winding footpaths through the woods by the coast. That would make for a lovely park... if parks could be anything but ploppables.

Well the good news is, with the latest patch, "Shorelines now affects Land Value", so that park will at least have a function in the game.

Cims won't actually use it as a park, although they don't do that for normal parks in the game anyway -- unless those reddit posts I saw were true, and they all flock to a single park in the city and leave the rest vacant 🙃

edit: Also I missed it earlier but there was another dev diary today, albeit a small one, about assets for once, "Beach Properties Dev Diary #1: Creating an Asset Pack":

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/beach-properties-dev-diary-1-creating-an-asset-pack.1626895/

They say there will be another one tomorrow, so maybe we get another peek through the curtains of assets in this game.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 27, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So is that beach asset pack done or are they gonna throw more into that later? I feel like nerds preordering games/ordering the ultimate edition in 2024 know the risks, but yikes imagine having the first couple of your prepaid DLCs come out dookie because the devs are putting all their manpower towards a busted base game

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I won’t call the overall progress “one step forward and two steps back” but they’re very much at least sort of standing still. The mods is a big step, but loving up the DLC so badly just sort of feels like it’s just lost them any good will the official mods earned.

Donoteat’s launch stream had the quote that sort of sums it up for me: if you want the most “up to date” city builder in terms of graphics and tech and all that, this is what you’ve got. It might not be what you want, it might not be great - but until there’s a serious competitor, this is it. I still hope they can polish the turd.

I know arguably there’s other games that “compete” with Skylines but for me it’s really only skylines and W&R that fit into the “purist’s” definition of city builder. I like a lot of the adjacent games but they’re much smaller scale or have a different focus, like an anno or farthest frontier. Even looking at other ant farms, games like dwarf fortress don’t hit the same thing.

Until some miraculous competing game materializes I still want Skylines 2 to not suck, even if it takes forever. :(

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Until some miraculous competing game materializes I still want Skylines 2 to not suck, even if it takes forever. :(

Yup. In the meantime I'm enjoying W&R but it's a lot of work and I'm nowhere near good enough at it for it to be a relaxing podcast accompaniment game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I want CS2 to become a great game and I think it can get there it's obviously going to take time. That said I think releasing this DLC was mistake, I get they sold the deluxe package and felt some obligation to do so but with the state of the game still very unfinished and how bare bones this DLC is it really leaves a sour taste.