Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If I wanted to start playing Skylines with the aim of being a super detail nutcase like all the youtubers, is there a list of 'must have' mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks for that!

DLC wise which are the ones most worth having? I've seen some of them don't really add much so I'd rather avoid spending money on them unless they're really worth it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats kind of annoying that they seperated trams and bikes. I might wait till its in the summer sale and just grab it all at once then.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

turn off the TV posted:

The Disasters DLC also adds emergency services helicopters which are actually really well implemented and are basically the trams of the DLC.

It is in the summer sale.

ON MY WAY.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The steam store keeps crashing for me so I'll guess i'll get it over the weekend.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I just tried to load in to my city and it said it 'failed to load assets' and everything is missing and most of the mods don't work.

How long until I can play the game again? Or will I have to start a new city and hope the assets load?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Excellent.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a way to roll back an update?

I get very little time to play this game as it is and I'd rather play it without the stupid electric cars and floating buildings than not play it at all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sillybones posted:

God drat, I had just finished getting all the mods done. I didn't even loving play.

Citiesskylines.txt

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is the game playable again yet?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Overwined posted:

So what are the go-to mods for let's call them adornments if you had to choose only 3 or 4?

Move it, more beautification, precision engineering and prop anarchy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't think you'd have single family homes inside that inner freeway circle, looks really out of place. In reality that would be a lot of reclaimed industrial area, so either repurposed factory buildings as housing or new build tower blocks to make the most money from land value.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tippis posted:

In the meantime, Planet Coaster produces stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3eYxZedD4

If any of you havent played planet coaster, you need to understand that there are no custom assets outside of the ability to include different sounds/video clips. Everything in this video is from the base game parts. The creativity here is off the charts.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

This is why you don't buy the disasters DLC.
Although even without the DLC fires spread and flooding can demolish buildings and props. I did a ton of detailing then caused a huge tsunami with terraforming, normally this was no problem but post-disasters water actually ruined things. Nearly rage-quit. Did find a mod though that makes props and buildings 100% safe from such effects though!

I need this mod.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If an asset has been removed from the workshop and isn't coming back and is now causing a 'simulation failed' error so I can't load my save, is there any way to fix it without starting again?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fall Dog posted:

Can you run the loading screen mod to try to isolate the specific asset, then remove said asset using the content manager in the title menu? I had to restart after the 81 tiles mod (I think) started doing this to me. It sucked, but I also got to cull the mods that were destroying my frame rate.

Ah cool hadn't thought of doing that. I thought once it was gone it was gone and you couldnt carry on without it being in there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I got the game running again but now there must be some weird mod conflict because when I draw roads I get no zoneable areas. If I draw a road through previously zoned areas everything deletes out I honestly have no idea at this point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So I deleted one of the 2 plane paths through my city and redrew it because the planes taking off from my airport were doing so in a weird spiral into the sky as the original path was right above it. Now it appears no planes are landing at all or taking off. Do I need to just drop the runways back down again or is the map hosed?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Surface painter is causing the game to crash and will do until its updated. Disable it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My airport just slowly stopped functioning and I cant work out why. It had loads of planes landing to start, then over time it just started to slow down and down and down and now I can't remember the last time I saw a plane land.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Twlight posted:

I had this same issue I think its due to the Traffic president mod? I disabled it and cims started to use the airport again. Also check your public transport it caused mine to inch to 0.

I'd love to disable that but its literally the only reason my junctions function right now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, it's a bit nuts, even though the prop limit is only around 64k. The recent explosion of network-based props - curbs, fences, lines, the like - certainly helps a lot on that front. Combine that with the trick of turning prop groupings into buildings and you can really reduce the number of props you use.

On the detail burnout, one thing that helps is to make multiple passes over an area focused on a specific kind of detail and not let yourself get sucked into overdetailing. If you don't need to place a cluster of 64 individual grass tufts to make a playground look plausible, don't. I usually place buildings, then fences and other physical barriers, then do objects - dumpsters, cars, etc. - and foliage, then decals and lines. You really almost have to do your detailing from the top down or you end up with a hundred decals you'll never see because of the trees in the way.

I tend to detail fairly lightly as otherwise you'd be spending 20 hours just on one neighbourhood, which I guess is some peoples cup of tea but I like to get things built which is why I still use zoning for a lot of my stuff and only hand place the really important bits.

Also a lot of the props are invisible unless you zoom right in so sometimes they're just not needed out of those key areas.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Twlight posted:

I had this same issue I think its due to the Traffic president mod? I disabled it and cims started to use the airport again. Also check your public transport it caused mine to inch to 0.

I had to unsubscribe and then resubscribe to the new version but this did fix everything. Thanks for the shoutout!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

donoteat posted:

OK I'm actually really happy about how this one turned out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

I'm really liking these.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats ace

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm using plop the growables to put down buildings but they keep deleting themselves due to no workers or dead bodies or whatever. Is there a way to turn all that poo poo off so they never disappear?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jadebullet posted:

Hey does anyone have a name of what mod allows you to plop things hand have them instantly built? Whenever I plop I have to wait for it to build like if I zoned the building.

Plop the growables does this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I started a new city with the aim of spending more time on it than my usual 'spend hours on junctions and just zone everything else' and I'm genuinely having a great time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what are those bollards

Its just the spherical concrete bollards. Came as a pack on the workshop.

donoteat posted:

episode 6: in which I struggle with the water physics for 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MrkfLP25Rg

You're getting name dropped on some big skylines youtube accounts now and I'm genuinely so happy. These videos are great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Brilliant. I paused the video as soon as I saw those and went looking and couldn't find them!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

move-it
Move-It is love, move-it is life.

I've been watching some older videos from people like Fluxtrance and Strictoaster from before they had move-it and I can't imagine how awful doing roads were without it.

I did a bit more to the new town. Added some big stores and some seafront style houses. Really liking this pack as you can use Painter and have all different facades.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 13, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

duffmensch posted:

I've got move-it but I'm not seeing an option to move road heights up or down (aside from the align heights option).

Select the nodes and use page up & down.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've expanded the town a bit. While I've not been basing this on any one place in particular, it is a combination of the various British seaside towns I've been to and lived in over the years. All of them have this really interesting mix of architectural styles and zoning as more expensive housing has gradually replaced industial areas. Most of the places are also very worn down too so it's been really fun to do so far.

I also took advantage of Donoteat's really cool Fairmount water works assets and used them in a museum/park based on some old waterworks I wen't to when I was 10.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I finished off the center of the town today and added the trams and essential services in. This is such a change of pace for how I usually build since its taken all week to build a town of just 2000 people but I am really really enjoying it.

I also had a mod conflict at the start of last week that launched all my trees 500 feet into the air which I'm slowly fixing so please excuse any floating foliage you spot in the backgrounds.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crisis Now posted:

Procedural Objects

Allows you to turn any object in the game in to procedural object which allows you to scale, rotate, change height and texture and edit the vertices of a object like in any 3D modelling software - all on the fly in-game.

The example in my screenshot is about 20 ploppable grass and glass tiles edited to conform to the shape of the retaining walls.

It's a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it can let you do so much.

I did some amazing bridges that conform to my roads with Procedural objects. Its amazing.

Also can I say thank you to Donoteat and Baronjutter. Their posts in this thread have really pushed me to pick this game back up again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

I've wanted to dive into procedural objects but I find it fucks up the view distance. With adaptive prop visibility props seem to fade away at much more reasonable zooms, but with procedural objects they pop out of existence way earlier than I'd want. Is there any way to adjust this or make it "smarter"? That tiny ramp can LOD away at a moderate zoom, but the huge town gate arch maybe should always be visible.

You can set the draw distance of every object in its properties in game. I just drag the slider on mine all the way to the right so they never disappear.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Expanded the town a bit this week. If I'm going to carry on doing stuff like this I'm gonna have to upgrade the computer. Frame rate is not great now.

Added a station and a small Warehouse/Factory area. I thought I'd taken a close up of the Factory part but it appears I didn't and I'm not reloading the game just to do that!

Dropped in a church, graveyard and a little garden area.

The Primary school has now been finished.

And just generally expanded the residential areas.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Baron the only thing that always sticks out to me about your stuff is the concrete is all uniform. Theres no decals breaking it up or even any dirt/marks so it kind of looks weird where theres large concreted areas like around the church. Aside from that you might want some tyres along the harbour wall in places for boats to hit and not damage themselves when mooring.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

Hi, I hate decals so much I made a decal. This is my first asset ever and holy poo poo is the workflow for asset creation in skylines stupid and bad and requires mods and mod-tools and turning off all your assets and then turning them back on and restarting the game a million times. Why isn't there just a simple "decal editor" that lets me set the size and import a texture and done??

A fellow named Urbanist made a very nice street with a texture I love, I made a decal to match so you can fill-in areas around it.

I use this street a lot so I would appreciate this decal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

I've never uploaded anything to the workshop before. Want to make a couple sizes and curved corner piece for intersections and then I'll either learn how to make a nice pack or throw it all at Urbanist to upload himself.

If you could make some angled triangle shapes for weirdness in different sizes that would be good too.

And just going back to what I said earlier, the easiest thing for your stuff would be the odd stain/wear mark. You don't need to cover the streets in decals to break it up a bit. Riding the bus through town today I made sure to just look at the ground and its amazing how even the same ground style looks different because of a line here, a crack there and then some panels etc.