Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alkydere posted:

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

It's probably a bit hard to see but adjacent to each side of the highway is a matching, normal 1-way road. These two lane roads have been handling traffic just fine, especially when mixed with U-turn lanes made out of on-ramps.

There's really no big traffic issues anywhere. Some of the on-ramps and U-turns are used pretty heavily, but there's none of the usual "backed up for miles" gridlock I normally get. Outside of the occasional "every single industrial building gets a shipment at once" issue that crops up now and then.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try frontage roads to fix the problems I'm having with my current offramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Moridin920 posted:

My opening move is to immediately place an as small as possible 1 lane road and then I delete it just to unlock the other roads.

Pretty sure that is what everyone does. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Enos Shenk posted:

Blender isn't any worse than any other package. Any complex piece of software is going to be intimidating to learn.

I've been using Blender for 12 or so years, and happy to answer questions in the IRC. irc.synirc.org #skylines

I've got most of the kinks worked out of this:

Should be slapping it on the Workshop tommorow.

I don't suppose the screen with the geisha mouth is animated? Is that even possible?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Mantis posted:

ravenous demand for industrial, but they're dying off like flies because no one is buying their poo poo. no other demand.

help.

Business Offices? Office zoning counts as industrial too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Chewbot posted:

I made another color lookup table, because I felt like Boreal maps are meant to be cold but don't feel like it. I think I may have a problem.

I also figured out an interesting trick to make near-camera appear higher contrast than far away, giving it a "fog in the distance" look.

This map is called Innsbruck Valley btw (not made by me), and it is a real bitch challenge to play due to being a tight mountain pass, but it's pretty and one of the few user maps I've found that doesn't have some kind of glaring design flaw.

Have you uploaded that lookup table yet?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't have any quirky or crazy screenshots of intersections and stuff, but have a couple scenic shots:

Bonus Burgers:

(totally unrealistic, there is no huge line of cars waiting at the drive-thru for overrated burgers)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is that a monument plopable or a high-density commercial or office building?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is anyone else bothered by the massive amount of curbside parking the Cims engage in? All those cars just sitting there!

I need to download some parking lot mods I guess. Anyone got any they particularily like? I don't suppose parking garages are possible? a plopabble structure that contains (and mostly hides) lots and lots of parking spaces?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, that sucks. Did you guys click the "use cloud" option? Maybe that is the cause of the problem (or, alternatively, a protection against it).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Slashrat posted:

If this isn't just a joke, link?

Mod Achievement Enabler

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the pop fudger is ok. Of course, it fudges my 22k city to 164k and that still looks kinda small. :v:

Poizen Jam posted:

Edit:

This isn't working for me, so there's at least some mods it's incompatible with. I'm running 25 tiles unlocked, a 'realistic speed' mod, and a 'no despawn', and a few other window dressing mods and it just isn't working.

Dumb question, but you turned it on, right? And that is weird. It works for me. But I'm not suing the three mods you list there.

Also, the SC4 grogs not wanting to use the workshop doesn't surprise me. I just hope they don't put out anything of real value like NAM and refuse to put it on the workshop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Try starting a new map? [edit] Oh well, if others are having trouble then I don't know. SAM? :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Steam Achievement Manager, at least for the more obvious achievements. Not entirely a serious suggestion, sorry. :shobon:

Also, has anyone tried asking why they don't want to use the steam workshop? At the very least it'd probably be entertaining to laugh at their reasoning.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

PT6A posted:

When people post pictures of cool looking cities, could they also attach a traffic map? I want to see just how good/terrible I'm doing in comparison.

My first city, Firston (formerly Firstown), isn't doing too bad traffic wise. Except in the Industrial district and the bottom-most off-ramp in this picture. Not sure what to do about the offramp that doesn't involve building several ugly offramps.

The frontage roads on the highway really helped congestion early on, but I wonder if I should be making them two-way instead of one-way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

zedprime posted:

Frontage roads should be one way, but with u-turns preceding lighted intersections and following any exits from the highway. That will probably fix your broken traffic jams.

Dumb question, but what do you mean by a u-turn? A way to get to the frontage road on the opposite side?

[edit] Oh, a "Texas Turnaround" huh? I haven't seen these where I live in central California, despite plentiful frontage roads (ours are two-ways though). Neat!

Its funny that lately I've been paying attention to freeway overpasses and interchanges while on the road. It helps that my job involves a lot of driving.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As a random tossing it out there, you know what I want? More water towers and water tanks.

Too bad I know jack poo poo about modding or making 3D stuff. I haven't modded crap since SC3k's little editor. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

simosimo posted:

Regarding water towers and stuff. When I get my head around modelling I'm so making those ugly natural gas structures that you see in the UK. The things where they go up and down , like big tanks surrounded by metal trusses.

Like this?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh by the way, earlier I learned you can just dezone the land out from under buildings and they'll naturally despawn. Previously I had been manually demolishing every building before wiping out the now blank zone squares to rezone or remodel. :downs:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

simosimo posted:

Latest round of Billboard textures, feel free to use in your assets goons.

Change the $s to the Cities ¢. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SynthOrange posted:

So what happens if you dont provide for corpse removal? :v:

Enos Shenk posted:

I couldn't help myself.

Come get your shower supply stores.

Is this a reference to something?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

To the goon who did Nakatomi plaza*, I'm afraid your model has some LoD problems on one of the facings:

*tried to dig back through the thread, but couldn't find the post.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The roundabouts in this game aren't even real roundabouts.

Yeah, I sat at the only roundabout in my city, the one I built for the original freeway exit, and unsurprisingly they don't use proper right of way at all, traffic in the round about is constantly yielding to vehicles entering the circle. That is just backwards. It was fun to just watch the cars and people go by, especially the familiar swarms of CiMs transferring between subway stations on opposite sides of the road.

This game can be so drat pretty. I should try disabling that film grain though. Oddly I only notice it one certain color correction sets.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has anyone noticed an increase in commercial demand after the patch? If so, how much?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Meat shoes? I dont get it. :saddowns:

Also, do those all have to be separate plopables, or is the a way to get it to randomly pick from a pool?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does the LP forum still require 3 months from a game release to do an LP? Because I would love a CS LP so bad. Hint hint Deadly Hume.

No, that rule got abolished a few months back. That said, something like This LP would be cool, but I think the game needs more time to mature and mods to come out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So once you unlock the special buildings by doing their achievements/requirements you get it permanently, right? Then how come when I ruined my city by causing the whole thing to abandon, and a couple other ones, they were not unlocked when I reloaded?

I did the crime one just fine on a second map and loaded my actual city and it was unlocked just fine.

[edit] Nevermind I reloaded the wrecked map, then reloaded the fine version and its all fine now. The stuff is unlocked. :confused:

Very post apocalypse. Minus the clean streets and fine trees.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think there is a mod that lets you prevent buildings from upgrading, so you can just cap your ghetto at low-value high-density resiential.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Spent this evening unlocking a majority of the special buildings. Wasn't really super fun to do (most of em anyways) but eh, got it out of the way at least.

I think I'll set my little metropolis aside and try making a more distributed small-town/county style map.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Vetitum posted:

Where are the monorails!

Maybe in an expansion? Though what would they do different from the trains we already have? Cheaper but no cargo option? Elevated stations? (though trains need these too, plus a Train<->metro connection). Less noise pollution?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the name similarity with Cities XL is rather unfortunate, but its selling well enough that word of mouth seems to be correcting most confusion on the issue.

I wonder if they could've gotten away with just naming it Skylines. But then that'd break the name similarity with Cities in Motion, plus possibly be a bit less obvious as to what the game is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dougie McdDouger posted:

Is there much steam workshop stuff for this game yet? I haven't looked into it too much.

Nah, only 16,000+ items, not really that much.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The SimCity artist guy, Gula, put out another building. This time a clone of the Sun Trust building in Tampa Florida. Its a high-value growable 4x4 office building. Which is cool, cause the game needs more high-rise office buildings. I'm not sure why they're all small, squat buildings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MY FRIENDS SAID I SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS SOCIAL NETWORKING CRAP. JOIN THE 21ST CENTURY THEY SAID. #POINTLESS #REGRETS #HOWDOITURNOFFCAPSLOCK

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Xtanstic posted:

Weird. I saved a copy of my city then unlocked a bunch, saved the copied city and went back to my original save and the buildings remained unlocked. :(

You mean the remained locked?

Anyways, exit to the main menu, reload your city and see if they're (un)available. I had to do this a few times while on my big building unlocking spree last night.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mukaikubo posted:

So... there's no autosave, right?

I'm sure this is a very fun game, and I will find out for myself when I stop randomly crashing every half hour after forgetting to save because I was actually enjoying the game. Oh well, someday I'll break... um... 1500 people. :saddowns:

There is an autosave mod, but its apparently causing some issues. Hopefully CO will add an autosave. Until then, try to remember to push F1 to quick save every once in a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, there is no one way to build your city in this game. Heck my first and only city so far is really dense, consisting only of the original square and modest development in one other. Of course, its "only" 35k population or so.

I think my next one will be more spread out, maybe a low-density LA style sprawl.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It honestly might be too detailed. But its so small I don't think it'll matter much.

Elukka posted:

They just gotta change their plans. They've probably done that already.

Yeah, this or make a better version, mechanically or aesthetically.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So a British friend of mine just bought the game and I'm watching him play. He doesn't have a driver's license and has basically used London's public transportation his whole life. Watching him building roads networks is adorable, especially his first attempt at an interchange. Which he left about half done until I reminded him that southbound needed a off ramp and northbound needed an onramp. :allears:

I'm jealous really, I wish where I lived had decent enough public transportation that I could've gone my whole life without driving.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So this is a good way to go about mass transit, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Subyng posted:

How do you get a railway crossing? The game won't let me intersect roads with railroad tracks.

Are you trying to trace the road through the track or into it? If you trace the road into the track like you were hooking up a pair of roads it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish I knew how to make 3d models. There is something sorely missing from Cities Skylines.

The Mayor's House! :haw: