Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cities: Skylines - YOU SHOULD PURCHASE THIS GAME, YOU WON'T REGRET THIS

(Click for store page)

From the store page:

Store page posted:

Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city whilst expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience.

From the makers of the Cities in Motion franchise, the game boasts a fully realized transport system. It also includes the ability to mod the game to suit your play style as a fine counter balance to the layered and challenging simulation. You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky!

Go grab it. It is a Good Game and with features like extensive modding support, traffic agents that work, not having poop agents (it's poop flows), huge areas (even huger with 25-tile mod), is what Sim City 2013 should have been.

:siren: THIS GAME HAS NO RELATION WITH THE CITIES X(X)L FRANCHISE :siren:

IRC channel created by Google Butt:

irc.synirc.org
#skylines

Guides
* Keep trucks out of your city proper with the "industrial coffee filter".
* Generate heightmaps for mapmaking based on the real world Guide Another guide on how to bring out bodies of water
* Quick start-up guide
* How to make circles
* Fix ugly zoning in intersections
* Busway Bus stops prefabs: 1 2
* Intersection guide
* Poop dam
* Build parallel curved roads
* To reverse one-way roads, activate the road upgrade tool and right click on the section of the road you want to reverse direction.
* You can use Page Up and Page Down to raise/lower lots of stuff besides roads, including power lines.

Chirpies' Choice
* PCGamer's "The strange tale of a Cities: Skylines town with only one house"
* Los Santos save
* Fjords map
* Real-life interchange guide
* This thing
* Watch this. :magical:
* simosimo's billboards
* Interview with Colossal Order's CEO
* What happens when your terrorists are dumb

Mods
Colossal Order collections:
* I want it all
* Mods & functionality
* Creme de la Creme

Some assorted stuff, for more, visit the game's workshop
* :siren: 25-tile unlock
* Traffic Manager
* First Person Camera
* Route query tool
* System clock in game
* Tree brush
* Another First Person Camera mod
* Remove pillars for all elevated tracks
* Mod Achievement Enabler
* ModTools
* Harder mode
* Isometric camera
* One-Way Street Arrows
* Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Stable
* Lane Changer - No Left/Right Turn
* CimCopter

Prefabs
* Mirror's Edge color correction
* Football field
* SC 3k Power Plant Set
* Industrial "parks": Small and Large (Noyemi K)
* Plymouth Arcology (Enos Shenk)
* 6 Lane Lightless/Optimized Intersection (Slickdrac)
* Optimized traffic/service flow grid (Slickdrac)
* Noyemi K's creations, includes bus stops, buildings and props
* simosimo's hilarious billboards
* In-Width highway roundabout (Fishstick)
* Dads Shower Supply

Goon-Made cities
* Inchun (Noyemi K)
* Jodhnagar (Noyemi K)
* Jikjon (Noyemi K)

Maps
* Raerei Cove
* Flat testing world with all resources in quantity and 4 highway/boat/plane routes (Slickdrac)
* Hong-Kong
* City of Amadea
* Skye (Fishbus)
* Passes (Fish Fry Andy)
* Canal Islands (SynthOrange)
* Kanehoe Bay (M_Gargantua)
* Zion National Park

Also, :rip: Maxis.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Screenshots & Fan-art

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 21, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's dam, goddamnit :argh:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

Due to complaints about parks required to upgrade/appease industry, I've made some suitable parks for industrial locales, as you can see here and here.

Adding these to the OP.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

It wouldn't let me make a proper ramp on the right. :saddowns:

Delete the arm connecting to the perpendicular highway and connect there.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

Blender isn't any worse than any other package. Any complex piece of software is going to be intimidating to learn.

I've been using Blender for 12 or so years, and happy to answer questions in the IRC. irc.synirc.org #skylines

I've got most of the kinks worked out of this:

Should be slapping it on the Workshop tommorow.

What guides do you recommend for people that used 3D Studio Max and found Blender's interface impenetrable?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My English maybe completely broken right now, so I'm sorry that you misunderstood me.

What I wanted to say is that I already know how to model in 3DS Studio Max , including UVWrapping (I think it's the most rewarding part, since it's pretty much where things start to come together, so to speak). I wanted to get into Blender, since it's free, but the interface is impenetrable to me. Do you have any guides that you can recommend in this case?

StarMinstrel posted:

Keep in mind 3DS max is super old and crash prone and is a piece of poo poo (I model everything with it) I want to throw out of my house. Save often.

~indie charm~ :v:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

Oh, drat. Yeah no, I just started looking into blender too, and well: that interface is a cliff I still have to learn. One day... one day... if you find something, feel free to post for any wanna be modder here, I'm sure we'd all aprreciate (Blender, for those that don't know, is a free to get modeling application that's good depending on who you ask. I've seen promising renders).

There's a video series from this apparently French guy, but IDK if it's a good series or not. It appears that he's just winging it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_lsr1SwBI

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rollercoaster Tycoon sequel confirmed.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

You're never going to get power lines over that thing.

IIRC, you can raise/lower power lines with page-up/page-down as well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

There's a real dearth of sceenshots and fan art in the OP, can you guys give me a hand there? :)

Also, I'm starting another list with goon cities, if you think your city is cool or whatever feel free to post (or repost)

I'm also (trying to) keeping track of goon-made mods and prefabs/buildings but I'm behind on it as well. :negative:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BombermanX posted:

Should be in the OP

:agreed:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Updated the OP with a lot of stuff, if you think there's something missing please say so.

In time: Holy loving shitfuck this thread has grown.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

Hallikainen: We had a meeting about feedback for players. The team were talking about the newspapers in the old Sim City games. I wasn’t really a part of that meeting, I was just walking by and we were in an open office at that point. And I jumped into the conversation – (adopts exaggerated voice) “Think about it, we’re in the 21st century! Everyone talks online. How about we have this twitter feed, with a bird that’s sitting there on your screen. And maybe call it Chirps! And it could be a Chirper!”

That’s where it started. To be honest, I was so devastated that people hate the Chirp. I was so excited (laughs)! It was pretty much the only creative input I had in the game and everybody hated it. This proves that CEOs should have no input in games EVER.

But then again we decided that since there are two people who love Chirper, we will own it. I wrote on the Paradox forums that I was to blame, that it was all my fault., and that I’d decided it would stay. There was a huge uproar, people were saying “You don’t listen to feedback, you suck, you’re as bad as EA!”

And I thought, well now it’s definitely not going to go away. If I have something that I had input on, in the game, I’m going to stick with it. And now I have a Chirper t-shirt that says “Give me a chance”. But the designers are probably saying, “Let’s never listen to Mariina again.”

It was weird to see people being so passionate about this one bird in the game though. Nobody reads newspapers anymore – it had to be contemporary and I thought it was a really good idea! Maybe it’s overuse of hashtags. It’s like an idea of Twitter written by an old person. I never use Twitter – I have a Facebook page because when I joined the company the other guys forced me to join Facebook. I am really bad at social media though because I have nothing interesting to say. Just, “Here’s a picture of my horse. Look at it.” That’s about it.

So when I started to say, “let’s do this twitter feed with #mayorrocks or #mayorsucks'”, I thought that’s how people spoke on twitter. I thought that was cool!

:allears:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

wit posted:

This feels like it needs OP'd in big lights because its something other player's have been headpalming over when you mention it. I will never, EVER put down a road properly. Ever.

It's not in big lights but it's there now. I also added that Street Arrows mod.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Is there a way to figure out what type of lot a building is, instead of 'The Briar Rose Residence' for instance?

I have a building downloaded that's glitching badly on LoD. When I zoom out, the low detail model is like 4 times the size and clips through neighbouring buildings.

Can't you just activate the zoning tool and then check the color/size of the lot?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Stable

e: friends don't let friends use Traffic++

Removed Trafic++ and added these to the OP

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Sean posted:

With the thread title being "you should purchase this game, you won't regret this" I'm pretty sad. I own a Venue 8 pro and a Dell laptop--both of which are under the min. system requirements--so I imagine that I won't be able to run this game, meaning I will regret the purchase. :( Also, Intel Integrated Graphics aren't supported, so I guess even if my processors were faster I still would be hosed.

Even though the game looks pretty, I'm surprised that a city building game is intense enough that my lame computers can't run it. Has anyone had luck with running the game on a less-than-optimal system?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - YOU SHOULD PURCHASE THIS GAME, YOU WON'T REGRET THIS (unless you have a computer that doesn't meet the system requirements, in that case you should upgrade, and you won't regret upgrading your computer for this game)

It's not as catchy.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

I've been playing a lot of Besiege so it was probably subconscious.

Windmill interchanges are totally a thing, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windmill_interchange

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You might, but they aren't.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kaujot posted:

Is there an easier way to build highways that curve? I can't get them lined up and it leaves weird gaps between them

Does anyone have the link to the road priority mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hey guys, it has been a while since I last checked this thread or even played Skylines. If you want anything updated in the OP you can just PM me or whatever.