Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Do any of y'all know of a high capacity cargo train terminal mod? I've got an oil field feeding into a cargo terminal, and the trains are getting awfully backed up waiting. The one line feeding into the terminal is nowhere near enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Trolleybuses require specialized infrastructure to even go on your roads, while regular buses are free to go wherever they need to reach the line. Unless you just want to use them for the fun of it, which is entirely valid, there's no real point over regular or biofuel buses.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I know it's almost heresy to ask, but is TMPE really worth using anymore? I almost never use any of its features, so all it's really doing for me is taking up RAM. Even worse - it's breaking the vanilla junctions manager, so I can't go in and click off traffic lights on my main street and instead have to deal with using TMPE's less user-friendly system.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Unfortunately, it is either bugged, or there's another TMPE "on" button on my UI that I'm not seeing. Those traffic lights and stop signs are non-clickable. Oh well.

I'm also on the hunt for a decent map to build on. I don't like how building-unfriendly some of the vanilla maps are, where you have to spend a good deal of time grading off every neighborhood before you start building it. Also, a lot of player-made maps are... bad. Like, really bad. The one I've been building on for the past 5 days has killed my current city because the nearest outside train connection is a full 2 map tiles away from where I'm currently building. There's also a bunch of highways that terminate in the middle of nowhere for no reason.

The one before that one had the monstrosity below as a gigantic monolith in the starting square.

This isn't a highway spur, either. This insane, monstrous interchange that just terminates at your city is part of the main highway through the region.

I'm just looking for something decently flat with nearby industry resources.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'll check those maps out! I'm weird in that I like the slow trickle of city services from reaching population milestones. It keeps a sense of progression to the game part of this zen garden/bonsai tree. Even if I did have to install a mod to swap the unlock position of metros and trains.

And so my posts aren't all griping, here's a shot from the last build I did.

Dense, thick forest, and a pedestrian zone finally gives self sufficient homes a place where it looks like they belong. I didn't realize I was going to love the Plazas and Promenades DLC as much as I did. I strive to make my regular neighborhoods super walkable with accessible paths everywhere, so a DLC that goes "gently caress your cars" has been transformative.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you have any other higher education buildings in your city, they're cannibalizing your potential student population. So you have to bulldoze any other colleges or Faculty Buildings (if you have that creator pack.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been picking away at building a city on the Yangtze map, and decided to set up a zoo on one of those little sandbars in the river.

Let me tell you, I've never been one to put too much stock in detailing a city.

But when everything comes together, it looks fantastic. I didn't intend to build the lion and rhino enclosures at the bottom of a bowl, but I'm really happy with the way the terrain worked out. You don't see the either enclosure until you get up on the lip of the basin. But as soon as you do, your eye is drawn toward both.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CompatibilityReport is a godsend for sorting out mod related issues. I can't imagine playing modded without it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Went to youtube, this was the literal first video on my homepage.

Lmfao.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I do find it funny that yesterday was the 10th anniversary of SimCity 2013 and today they announce CS2.

Probably not intentional but funny all the same.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I know it's likely to never happen, but I want to be able to forbid industries from importing poo poo like I can with mods in CS1. Turning imports off is one of the first things I do with new cities, and every time I never regret it. It saves so much needless traffic because storage buildings aren't constantly importing expensive raw materials.

Seriously. If I'm producing 100 tons of lumber per week and using 45, then there's zero need to import 150 tons of it because a warehouse is at 49.9% full instead of 50%.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

death cob for cutie posted:

What mod is this? I really like to start cities with an industrial zone - it makes sense for a little village to get established next to a new logging operation or something - but watching them import a bunch of poo poo that should be produced locally sucks.

AdvancedOutsideConnection

It adds a feature to the Outside Connections overlay in your data views. You can then click on the IN-bound roads and drag the sliders down to 0% for whatever industries you're running in your city. Every new type of outside connection you get, you have to go in and disable imports for the industry type, however.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This being a Paradox title, my expectations is that Skylines 2 will be a much smaller game at launch, and it will take years of buying new DLC and starting all over again with mods, before its back up to speed with the first game. I'm still excited! If nothing else for any quality of life improvements that will hopefully mean less mods down the road. Also better graphics, and ideally better optimization, but lets be real, better optimization will not happen. Skylines 2 will require a more powerful computer but won't offer anything in fidelity that Skylines 1 doesn't already offer.

It's this. Skylines 2 will be incredibly barebones at launch, and most players will call it worse than a fully modded and DLC'd up Skylines 1. Expect lots of memeing that the game is unsalvageable garbage. But within 6 months, there will be several major patches adding core features that level all that out. Within a year, there will be two big bits of DLC that are deemed essential to the experience. By the time 18 months have passed, the game will generally be considered to be better than Skylines 1.

It's the Paradox New Game Cycle.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

To be honest, I want SimCity starts, where you place houses and streets down and people arrive spontaneously. Having to have a highway connection in the starting square is a tad limiting.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Warehouses set to Balanced or Fill for lumber products will ensure they're at 50% and 100% full respectively. By whatever means necessary. And if all of a warehouse/lumberyard's trucks are all in use moving product around, the destination will also import lumber because they need it now, goddammit. So when you set up a new industry area especially, you'll have hundreds of trucks clogging your roads to import raw materials you are already producing. So you can very easily run into a problem where trucks are stuck in traffic delivering home-grown lumber, while further back in the traffic jam are other trucks who are importing lumber to the exact same destination for the same order.

Also all this importing completely wrecks your budget because they're doing so on the city's dime.

If you're playing on PC, then just go install the AdvancedOutsideConnection mod and turn off imports for lumber for every road connection.

DoubleNegative posted:

AdvancedOutsideConnection

It adds a feature to the Outside Connections overlay in your data views. You can then click on the IN-bound roads and drag the sliders down to 0% for whatever industries you're running in your city. Every new type of outside connection you get, you have to go in and disable imports for the industry type, however.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 13, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Honestly, I want the ability to stop the time of day at specific points. Or manually adjust it like you can with mods in CS1. I like looking at my cities at night, but building in the dark is all but impossible.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Here's some stuff that is coming out in the coming weeks for CS1, the World Tour content packs:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/255710/view/3657524427227007185

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What does multiplayer even look like in a city builder (geniune question)?

My partner and I differ enough in playstyle/goals (especially Crusader Kings...) that playing games with her watching adds another layer of gameplay, where I'm often negotiating IRL. With CS we'd normally kind of alternate in building projects/priorities.

SC13 was online only with forced multiplayer. What it boiled down to was the game didn't work right for months other players in your region had other cities and you could broker deals with each other for power, water, and so on. The city size was also the size of a postage stamp, and a popular conspiracy theory at the time was that it was in order to force players into engaging with the multiplayer aspects.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

My first exposure to 2000 was NE. So, for the longest time, I thought that you were just supposed to buy squares before you could build on them in SimCity. Like, individual tiles on the game screen.

Network Edition was not very good.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, placing traffic signals is the exception rather than the rule. The situations in which you want to place them are few and far between and only really show up if you have a major load entering a primary road and there's no room to insert a roundabout. And even then, you want to go into the TMPE settings and tell the signal to prioritize through traffic and only allow the light to change when there's cars waiting. The traffic must flow!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Is there a current, working mod (I know, asking a lot) that'll let me adjust the light and weather setting for my city? I'm in a tropical area, but I hate how the lighting and weather makes everything seem orange/yellow, hazy and indstinct. I know I've seen a video where something like this was mentioned but I couldn't get it working with my save.

Try Play It! which should do most, if not all, of what you need. You can also try adjusting the color correction in the options menu. It has a bunch of different options that you can change to make your city's lighting look different.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Spent three hours getting the game working again so I can play for two weeks before it all breaks. I'm smart.

Could be worse. You could have started a lets play of it several weeks before it all breaks. :shepicide:

Can't wait for my mods to break come the 23rd!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's not a video style one, but if you want to read along here you go.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm definitely not collecting screenshots thinking about doing a LP of it myself. Nope...

The more the merrier I say! There can never be enough pretty city screenshots on the forums.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

To add onto what Grand Fromage said,

Campus: Unlike every other type of specialty area, university areas can de level. Also, the maximum tier is next to impossible to hit and almost entirely impossible to maintain. You also need to keep dumping large sums of cash into it to get one of the resources needed to level them up. It's not worth it at all. Hard pass on this.

Airports: Airport areas are fun enough to build, but you can't make a profit until you max out the area and are allowed to start your own airline. Maybe get this one.

Plazas and Promenades: This lets you make entire neighborhoods that are pedestrian only. It also features wall to wall specialization, which acts like medium density zoning. Like the name suggests, the buildings get crammed together to create a dense, inner-city environment. I personally love these, so I strongly recommend this DLC.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You can also paint wide swathes of the map with trees and that creates forestry resources. So you can spend a few thousand dollars planting pines and create a forestry location that way.

EDIT: And in case it matters to you, forestry resources are mutually exclusive with farm resources. So if you plant trees on fertile soil, it permanently removes the fertility under the tree.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Surprisingly, most of the big mods are already updated. TMPE is waiting to get its update, and some of the Network tools bitch about a version mismatch, but everything generally works.

Except for Extra Landscaping Tools. It's suuuuper hosed.

This is the city park from my LP. Normally there's a bunch of tree detailing everywhere, but all the trees placed by Extra Landscaping Tools got deleted outright. Beyond that, the toolbar used by Extra Landscaping Tools to adjust brush strength, size, and so on is permanently stuck behind the game's main toolbar, rendering both unusable.

So in short mods still broke.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I am having a hard time believing cs2 will only need 16gb of ram for required. CS1 with most, but not all, dlc barely runs with that. Until the program lets up about an hour into playing, it runs my 16gb at 90% usage.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I really hope that it’s just being propagated by the road instead of being modeled as well. It would save a lot of resources.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I just came to post that! That exit lane thing they did at the end caught my eye in particular. I can't wait to get my hands on this and try it out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Once again, day one, one of the most popular mods is going to be a super crematorium that processes corpses at the speed of light and has a city-wide radius.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like with parking and accidents you will presumably be incentivized to try and avoid using cars.

The system I'm picturing in my head is mass transit centers with giant parking lots near suburbs and apartments, to try and incentivize as many people as possible to not drive.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

Knowing what the water physics are like, I'm wondering if it will be half-baked and wacky at least.

I will be unsatisfied unless the map makers at CO continue to create weird maps where Moses Effects regularly happen.

Like this!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Surely you could mod the weights so that everyone refuses to walk and always drives cars and every city must be 80% car parks or else the city hall gets mail bombed and call it america mode.

Also you have the god given right to drive a tank on a public highway and I do not care how much it costs to fix the road afterwards.

Liberty City mode?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The blue RICO bar is definitely commercial, not just specifically leisure. Although it's worth keeping in mind that the RICO bar is slow to update, and changes take a little time to propagate out.

As for the university problem, it's reading to me like the bar is saying "hey in theory the city doesn't have the capacity to educate every university-eligible student," - which is true! You have theoretically 6,000 eligible cims, and only capacity for 4,500. But as you're seeing, it's not really an issue because enrollment is much, much lower. As for why enrollment is so low, according to a reddit post:

exculcator on Reddit posted:

Be aware that when the game reports the number of people eligible to go to university, it is lying.

What it actually reports is the number of people of have received a high school education "well educated", but not a university one ("highly educated").

However, of those "eligible" people, only ones in the young adults age category can actually attend university in-game and thus be actually eligible as university students. None of the (usually many more) well-educated adults or seniors in your city are actually eligible, even though the game tells you they are.

You need to dive into the demographics to see how many well educated young adults you have to see how many students you can actually reasonably expect to attract (and mostly likely you won't get all of them even, depending on what your policies are).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'd love for C:S2 to have proper advisors with characterization. The SimCity 2000 and 3000 advisors had so much character. Well, 3000's did at least. On reflection, most of the characterization of 2000's advisors was entirely the work of Bob Mackey. Regardless, give me more goofballs like the SC3k cast.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I know why it works that way, but I really hate that the vanilla "no zoning" tool and the Zone Adjustment mod both prevent you from slapping a ploppable down on the side of the road that's been denied zoning.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i just want to be able to build maps where narrow rivers arent just series of tidal waves

Texture along the riverbed will prevent the river tsunamis. I achieved it in my first LP city by just setting raise/lower land to a random strength and spamming left and right clicks as I moved along the riverbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I was searching for the "shack collapses on Grover" gif on google image search when I saw everyone's least favorite DIY house job show up with a Steam Workshop link. Naturally I had to see who made a Groverhaus mod and for which game.

It's for Cities Skylines 1 naturally. So if you needed even more reason to play that, now you can plop down load bearing drywall to really give rural neighborhoods a certain rustic charm.