Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can "world" run out of raw materials? My industry is dying because no one can get raw materials. My industry area is next to a highway, has 2 cargo depots and no congestion anywhere. Should I start producing my own wood & food or what :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Not having commercial because of no demand is a bit silly. Now my industrial is dying too - they don't have raw materials to manufacture stuff. They keep closing, abandoning, and reopening. I don't wan to to go full office. I have done nothing to my routes, I have two train depots, lots of outside connections and no congestion. I don't produce wood or food myself - I've tried to, but my city area is not really good for that.

The game is very bad at telling the player what is the problem and what steps the player should consider taking to fix the problem. This is killing my will to play the game at all :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Mantis posted:

Get the commercial fix mod. It takes 5 seconds and fixes it.

I guess I need to try it out and hope it doesn't screw anything up. The factories say that they can't get enough materials:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Someone made a better football field! The first one was kind of tacky.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409641585

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Another Person posted:

people as products.

Soylent, so you can skip the farming business for food production, and don't need graveyards or incinerators.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still wonder why the game didn't have soviet buildings in the first place. Basically the whole city, especially the district Colossal Order has offices is composed of soviet style buildings, just like that.

Anyways, comparison between SSAO on/off. Difference is not too big, but still makes game look a lot nicer. Hopefully someone mods in orthographic projection camera sooner or later!

http://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Games/skylines/ssao/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Maybe check your implementation. http://i.imgur.com/qY7Ucfp.jpg. Not what I would call SSAO.

Not my implementation, someone made a mod in workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410329674

I have no idea what is it really, it's just called "SSAO" in game and it looks nicer.

Dante18907 posted:

Whats the performance hit like for that?

With GTX 970 the occlusion mod doesn't really affect performance, but the 200% dynamic resolution mod (5120x3200) causes fps to drop to 11 :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Workshop stopped working. Why so many people have to be using it at the same time :argh:

quote:

No items matching your search criteria were found.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Who wants to mod in a MIRE building collection?

Shader: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411770965&searchtext=

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Anything else you'd like to add? posted:

If anyone's wondering, I am not autistic, or a savant, nor suffer from OCD, or suffer from any other form of clinical mental disease or illness for that matter.

good point

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I love the Isometric mod, it's like I'm playing a new version of the old SimCitys.

It just has lots of LOD/draw distance and other gfx issues :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

God drat trains keep backing up at the map border altough I solve the problem every time. There should just be some kind of delete script which nukes all the trains getting to border.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh my god why don't we have this yet?! Maybe there aren't enough people asking them for it.

They need to save some stuff for the Paradox DLC spam too :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Which LUT are you using? I want a deep blue sky too!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I just realized that my mobo maker said mobo supports only 6x2GB of memory. But it was only because of bigger sticks not being available back in the day... so I could in fact move to 6x4GB or 6x8GB if I ever found cheap 1333mhz ddr3 sticks. Or just save the money for Broadwell-E.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I knew the bar the devs frequent so I could have a little chat about their concepts of what counts as fun gameplay.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well the heating pipes are basically water pipes, just with hotter water. They could make them break randomly during winter if you skimp on maintenance, and cause people to freeze to death if the maintenance crew can't get to the site because your traffic sucks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This seems a rather odd thing to include in a DLC and kinda strikes me as them running out of workable ideas.

Maybe because such heating systems are the primary way to heat cities in Finland. So what others may find weird is commonplace here, devs thought it might be a good idea without too much :effort: The water is constantly circulating and temp varies between 65C and 115C. It spreads out via pipes from a power plant to apartments and radiators in different rooms. When a pipe breaks whole neighborhoods lose heating.

It's basically :ussr:

Lately they have been installing cooling pipes too. So now they have all kinds of pipes (heating, cooling, cold water, warm water, sewer) running underground...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 3, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Don't forget the escape pipes, or the fresh pudding pipes, or the moleman pipes, or the mail pipes, or the internet pipes or the power pipes.

... having anything overground gets it destroyed either by the sandstorms, the blizzards, the lightning storms or Sandstorm.

(The actual standard is cold water, internet, power and sewer. Heating pipes are available when power plants are nearby, but not the only way.)

Sorry, I forgot cold water is heated as needed with the heat from heating pipe water :v:

The powe plant does not need to be that big. Of course it has synergies when you produce electricity and heat with the same plant, but I know many smaller plants producing just heat too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So huh years go by and their DLC and updates are still as lackluster as ever. Have they even optimized the base game at all?

I mean why they won't go full Stellaris with this game? Not competent enough to add cool stuff, lack of vision or something? Weekly Dev diaries etc would be great.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I haven't played the game since 2016 apparently. I spent :20bux::10bux: for DLC's and fired up the game. Installed some sweet new mods, and new water treatment and nuclear plants too. Now one side of the river is full, time to move to another side. Maybe I should build a new main hub to the other side of the river, a fresh start with more room to design stuff.

That pink ground looks as funky as it did 7 years ago. Shame they haven't fixed it yet. Maybe I need some kind of mod to paint it over with concrete.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Locator posted:

Something is wrong. Your river isn't filled with poop.

I guess having 4x more sewage treatment capacity than sewage helps to migitate the problem :shrug:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Problem with city builders is also money, you are given infinite money and citizens have also infinite money. In reality cities are broke as gently caress and so are people, so there are limits on how much fancy poo poo and services you can have. While in games you can just handwave it all away and max everything without a thought. There is no challenge offered.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We don’t have the technology yet..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, I have to LIVE in all the awful choices forced by real estate developers, nimbys and small business tyrants every day, why would I want to recreate that? IMO all the assets and tools focused on building roads and freeways (as well as the magically absent parking lots) bias the game toward american-style development enough as it is.

I don’t understand how a bunch of Finnish devs can be so car brained to produce car-games like cities skylines.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I hope the game has DLSS and does not put too much performance critical crap to e-cores.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if DLSS would work well on this, there's a lot of important information that's quite small, like road markings, that DLSS could end up loving with badly. You don't focus on things like that in a normal game the way you would in this.

Antialiasing will mess them up worse. So dlss makes the game look better in every case basically.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

Even reviewers playing with beyond the recommended specs are saying that past 50k population the game becomes unplayable as the simulation starts to hitch and you have to point the camera at the ground to not have single digit fps.

Why the games must have poop agents these days? Why isn’t a simulation on a level of sim city 2000 enough?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeC posted:

The issue isn't the simulation. The issue is the intense gpu load that no card currently on the market can handle.

Play on low settings.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cities-Skylines-2-Spiel-74219/Tests/Release-Benchmarks-Performance-Tuning-Tipps-1431613/

4090 produces sub 40fps at 1080p? Yeah no I’ll pass thanks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

there's no real way of knowing if they were running the game at 1080p, the in game resolution selection apparently doesn't work

Not great for 4K either. My 3080 will run it at 10-20fps then without dlss.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The performance is panned everywhere. Local game magazine reviewer said with 5700X and 3090 he’s only getting 5-10fps in 70k pop city. And the game really begins only after 50k pops in his opinion.

Can’t remember another game release with this bad performance, maybe ever.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I want a flat map. I’ve never seen crazy rear end hills in IRL cities around me. I hope the Tampere preorder map will be flat, because it is quite flat..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Which graphical setting affects the shimmering of trees? Trees shimmer like a motherfucker and I don't know how to stop it. There's maybe a 100 settings in the game.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

If Dynamic Resolution is enabled, disable it. If that doesn't do anything, change antialiasing to TAA. I don't have any tree shimmering, and LOD isn't a setting I changed yet.

Apparently having shadows on causes it. There's insane shimmering and flickering in all shadows, especially low residential fences flicker like a rave night's strobo. Disabling shadows removes all flickering... but it makes the game looks like an rear end. Could someone please make a 2D city builder like simcity 4k next, but with a large map. Thanks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Disabling visual day/night cycle was a pro tip. Stopped flickering. Dunno if TAA works but at least it looks decent. Using FSR1.0 with 67% resolution scale. That should upscale it from 2560px -> 4k..

Please for the love of god don't use cranes when constructing houses :D :D

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress

THE AUTOSAVE FEATUER IS OFF BY DEFAULT??????????????????

And the game is a bit crash prone

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

explosivo posted:

This is crazy, like right out the gate trying to temper people's expectations of even being able to hit 60 as a target.

Pushing 30fps to PC gamers has always worked well..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What about mods? Any way to get more maps? Like the Tampere preorder map.. if you didn't preorder?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Was this done earlier already? Sorry for not using the original font, too much :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I think sc2k used a custom sprite tileset font, and copying the letters one by one in photoshop.. no. Of course someone had coded a tool to generate memes based that!