Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Everything for this game up to and including Sunset Harbor is in a humble bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Comstar posted:

edit- Oh God. How do I start. I can't build a village without going bankrupt or get bigger and then discover half my hamlet can't afford a police/fire/health/school because the radius is too big.

Check out City Planner Plays on YouTube. He has a series called Verde Beach that uses all the DLC but no mods (apart from a few cosmetic mods) and you can watch how he sets up a new city.

The simple answer is to build your initial road network with dirt roads to be upgraded later and don't be afraid to take a loan to pay for that first round of infrastructure buildings, because each milestone comes with a cash injection.

The radius shown for those particular buildings is more of an efficiency guide than a hard cut off. Police and fire will still respond outside of that radius, people will go to schools even if their house is outside of the radius, and with early game traffic conditions those journeys will be largely unimpeded

E: first episode of Verde Beach
https://youtu.be/A2FhKMLRays

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeJF posted:

If they hook in a proper API then most mods won't break when they update.

Yeah this is the change I'm hoping for too. Mods that don't interact with features that were updated shouldn't just break as a matter of course

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You can build proper suburbs but the cims that live there spend all of their disposable income on therapy or go insane

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It is on gamepass

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Getting incredibly detailed about education seems like it would be a good DLC. I hope we get that rather than something like the universities dlc

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I know it's different developer but a lot of these decisions get made at publisher level and I remember people being pretty positive about what was cut and what was kept from Crusader Kings 2 -> 3

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh boy I do not like a lot of the stuff CPP is saying. No contour lines, no overlapping foliage, no decals, no props...

The number of times he ended up saying "I'm sure there will be a better way to do this in the future" was not encouraging. Losing contour view is just baffling

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh yeah, economic realism is very important in this game that lets you build a town's worth of road complete with water and power infrastructure for like 20,000 dollars.

It's a good thing that they ignore realism for fun in that case, and it should also extend to parts of the puzzle that CO themselves don't seem to personally care about (everything that isn't transport networks)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Minenfeld! posted:

I still maintain agent simulation is a poor way to make these games. If people want to do model railroading, so be it.

Dooming yourself to a non scalable simulation so that players can click Follow on Chirper on a random guy for five minutes before they disable Chirper forever.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

But if their position is "hey we aren't doing all this ourselves but just left everything open to modders, you weirdos go hog wild customizing it however you want" then that's fine. I just want to know.

If it's this then I really hope having modders on staff has resulted in a sane framework that doesn't break everything for each of the hundred DLCs they release

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

City Planner Plays also said there's no prop placement in his video

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fishstick posted:

Cant wait for the first mod that turns vacant commercial lots into Spirit Halloween stores

UK version where they all turn into vape shops that also do mobile phone unlocking (this may not be limited to the UK I just haven't travelled for a few years)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A 3080 for this game :lol:

^^

Vahakyla posted:

Games should be designed so that the recommended card is a high-ish end one?

Gently put: you guys are being bit luddity here. The game shouldn’t be designed from the drat get go to be a gimped one.

3080 is the high end card of three years ago. It absolutely is a reasonable recommendation to be the good option for the game.

It also leaves future space for graphicsl updates.

The luddites were right

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I want to play Sea of Stars and Chained Memories anyway, so I'll buy a month of Gamepass and if CS2 is bad somehow I can play cool RPGs until they unfuck it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Digital Jedi posted:

My first city is gonna be so so bad.
I really look forward to it

:same:

Also I'm British so I have a cultural aversion to grids which always makes my traffic extra hosed up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mrpwase posted:

Why not build Milton Keynes instead? :unsmigghh:

I probably will one day but I live in the north of England where everything is viking settlements with delusions of grandeur

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've got a pretty good CPU but, since my monitor is 1080p, I haven't upgraded my GPU past a 2060. I'll be Gamepassing it and will report back here with my findings as far as performance goes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I will invest my 43 dollars and buy CS2 later with passive income

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tatsuta Age posted:

is any of this because of like, the same problem CK3 had where obviously a brand new game isn't on day 1 gonna be as full as the previous game with 5+ years of DLC and enhancements

It's not a brand new game, it's a sequel. Do you think they threw all the old code in the bin?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

VostokProgram posted:

even if a specific feature was going to have literally the exact same mechanics in CS2, I guarantee you enough other stuff has changed as to require at least a 70-80% rewrite of that code and it would not surprise me at all if it was a 100% rewrite

Extremely unlikely

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For anyone planning on doing a Game Pass trial to see how this runs, pre load is available and it's a 57gb download

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ABen posted:

Nice, that's not bad at all. I just picked up the 2 week trial of Game Pass to see how Forza runs, so I might as well see how this does too.

I assume it's usually the case that Steam versions and MS store versions save games don't play well together? Or is it totally dependant on the game?

It looks like it's dependent on the game. If it is possible, the process is pretty much what you'd expect: install the game on Steam, start a new game, save it. Then find where the respective save folders are and copy one over the other. PC gaming wiki usually has save file locations noted

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeJF posted:

Is it a 57 gig download or a 57 gig disc footprint after the load has expanded itself? (If this is a game that does that)

The game pass app says 57 gig disk space required so the latter

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

City Planner Plays tested almost my exact system with good results so I'm in. AMA also mentioned a day 1 performance patch that among other things reduces VRAM use significantly.

The VRAM stuff is good news, it really seemed like a huge factor in the CPP tests. I'm fine ticking an option that says give me 30 FPS in exchange for not being able to read the text on a sign in front of a pharmacy

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

The original game loaded every texture separately, so if 20 buildings used the same texture it got loaded into memory 20 times, so you would get Loading Screen Mod and have it just do the texture once. I hope this game doesn't have dumb poo poo like that in it but if mods can double the performance the way they did with 1 I'm okay with that too.

:ughh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

From what I've gathered here's the tech advice everyone should do right away:

A) Turn off VSync.
B) Turn off dynamic resolution. Having it on does give you a few more FPS but it makes the game look like fried rear end and isn't worth it.
C) Turn LOD to low.
D) Turn volumetrics low or off.
E) Turn off fog, which just makes everything look muddy anyway.

Play with it from there.

Depth of field too

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm looking forward to finding out why the frame rate keeps dropping as you go from 0 to 25,000 population and then basically stays the same after that. Remembering the reaction when people found out about all the simulation fakery in SC2013

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm hoping the VRAM optimisations they've made will let my 2060 run it on medium (with the settings Grand Fromage posted ). I think it looks worse than CS1 on low, especially the water

MikeJF posted:

I doubt that's simulator fakery, the performance issues aren't CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a render cap though.

This is a good point. I don't think they're offloading sim to the GPU, agent based simulation just doesn't seem to fit with the things GPUs tend to be good at (although I freely admit that it's been 10 years since I wrote shader code so things may have changed significantly)

This actually makes me hopeful for the potential improvements available through optimisation. You have a lot more wiggle room with graphics optimisation because loss of fidelity doesn't change how the game works mechanically

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's fascinating stuff, thanks for the link

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Antigravitas posted:

Vulkan compute can do some interesting stuff in a vendor-agnostic way.

But most simulation work is of the annoying variety that is hard to parallelise and thus utterly unsuitable for GPU compute.

Yeah this is what I was thinking when I made the initial comment about it not being the thing that GPUs are good at. The agent behaviours in CS seem too interdependent, even if only on a local scale like getting through a road junction

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah I made enough room for the 57 GB but don't have space to unpack it. So I'm playing steam install location juggling instead of CS2

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Played until my city was 25k pop and got kind of bored. There's no pressure to actually make a functioning economy because every time I get close to financial trouble I get a couple of million from levelling up. It's hard to enjoy looking at my city when the commercial areas full of level 5, 100% efficiency buildings are covered in Not Enough Customers icons and the terrain and shadows are constantly flickering. The thing that made me save and quit for the evening was opening the development menu, seeing 16 unspent development points and realising I don't really care about any of the remaining unlocks

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For people interested in performance on a mid range PC, I was getting about 25 FPS most of the time on a 2060. Medium settings, 1080p, fog, volumetrics, DoF and motion blur disabled, LoD set to low

E: oh and if you click the radio station icon, the panel that pops up has an "ads" toggle in the bottom right corner that totally disabled the talk segments on the station I was listening to (vibes FM or whatever)

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 24, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Absolutely everything related to power lines is annoying

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeC posted:

Not at 25k but yes, I have the same issue. Not sure if it is a player not understanding mechanic problem or game hosed up kinda problem.

None of the businesses shut down, I never saw an abandoned building in the area and commercial demand kept going up. If there's a mechanic that I'm not getting then it doesn't seem to have any impact on the game

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mandoric posted:

- R demand split really needs to be "sim gets a -x to happiness if they want a SFH and no SFHs are available", not "an entire tile zoned for town houses will never grow a single building if the demand is all for SFH".

I was hoping to be able to crush low density demand with punitive taxation but residential tax splits are by education level

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sashimi posted:

Same, I want to build a city with super high density that's focused on walking and public transit. Looks like that's not happening until people find exploits or taxation based on density gets added.

I really do appreciate the mixed use zoning already though, it makes for much better looking main streets.

I think tomorrow I'm going to experiment with my city and try completely ignoring all new low density demand. Did they ever talk about what drives the different residential demand types in a dev diary?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mandoric posted:

I did and it didn't work at all. No demand for subtype, no building, R1 R2 R3 are just as separate as C O.

Honestly, those two being entirely separate is pretty depressing too, given how much of my local commercial architecture is reclaimed mills. That in itself is a failure IRL, yeah, but also it's a failure of a simulator to fail to implement failures.

So if you ignore low density residential demand, it suppresses demand for other residential types? Or they happen completely independently? The paradox wiki says families want low density, students and singles want higher but the question is whether it's possible to shape that demand. Can I demolish all my elementary and high schools and still attract people or will I just get a general "bad city" debuff to overall attractiveness to potential new residents?

e: lots of reclaimed mills near me too. About half offices, half apartments. It makes the area look pretty distinctive, it would be cool to see in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Digital Jedi posted:

I want to be able to use multiple road type within the preset grid. I don't want every road to be the 4 lane road. I want the outside the be 4 lane with the inside grid being a 2 lane

That would be cool although I don't want to think about what the UI for that would look like