Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
important note for the beginning of the game--if you wish to start with something other than two-lane roads for whatever reason, you can just build a very small two-lane then bulldoze it. this unlocks some of the other road types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

totalnewbie posted:

I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming :rimshot: the road system won't be necessary.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?844893-PSA-Official-Progress-Update according to the official progress update, "Potential traffic AI issues/improvements" is on their list of things to address after patch 1 (bugfixes).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
@YeOldeButchere: I think CO knows about the save crash bug. I've seen it too, though only once, and we've had other reports of it in this thread.

The commercial demand is 100% for sure on the top of their list to investigate/fix. Seems parks take up all your tourists' time, as it stands, so no one wants to go shopping.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a reason nothing's being built in these areas, even though I have them zoned? It was originally going to be a big industrial area, but I tried it like this to see if it was a problem with industrial or all the zones, and still nothing.

move the 6-lane parallel to the highway several squares further away from the highway, then make some ramps between the highway and it (i.e. frontage roads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontage_road)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you move the starting area because as is you have to pollute the fertile Lake with turds forever.

actually, will it eventually fill up and flood everything with poo?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

saucepanman posted:

I've tried that, they just turn into them and cause a new pileup.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Post pics!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Enos Shenk posted:

I published my Plymouth Arcology on the Workshop, people seem to dig it. It's set so it has an assload of worker slots, just like a proper monolithic hellhole of single-building industrial zone should.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409449047

Oooooohhh man, I can't wait to see how this impacts traffic.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SynthOrange posted:

Going back to Zbrush to work on terrain was a much better idea. Then export the heightmap into the game and fine tune from there.

This looks like it will be a lot of fun, good luck with the rest of the work!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is that . . . seriously something SimCity 2013 did? I never played it. Why on earth would you want an inaccurate population . . .

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shibawanko posted:

I'm wondering if I can even play this game on my computer or laptop. I have a core 2 duo desktop setup with a gtx 280, and also a laptop with a core i5 and a decent graphics chip. Would the game be playable once my cities get bigger?

the laptop should do decently. be prepared to turn down settings though

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That's actually quite cool looking

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Enos Shenk posted:

Help. I'm pretty sure I've spent more time modelling buildings for this game than actually playing this game.

I was musing about how I always wanted to model a certain building from Die Hard. Then musing turned into MUST BUILD THIS.

I give you Nakitomi Plaza. This was fun to model.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409705124

I've got a problem.

if you had fun and dropped a nostalgia bomb on most of this game's audience, you got no problems. keep it up

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Slashrat posted:

Another wishlist item. Road/Railway rulers that allow you to easily make straight or curved segments of any kind of road/railway that are parallel to another road/railway of any kind.

(I'm kinda OCD in the map maker about my highways maintaining exact spacing between each other and the railway that usually accompanies them)

Someone on reddit suggested that there be an angle measurement when you make an intersection--I think that would be awesome and help you out a lot.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Oldstench posted:

So, you should put "Requires 64-bit OS you loving idiots!" in big red letters in the OP so that loving idiots like me who never expected a game to actually require a 64-bit OS and are on 32-bit for reasons don't buy it and then just have it sit in their Steam library mocking them.

haha drat, I had no idea. Sorry to hear that

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
redditpost but it has to be seen: http://a.pomf.se/czdeng.webm

this stuff makes me wonder if floating cars are happening in my city and i'm just missing out!

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 19, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mrit posted:

Is that Windows XP 64 bit?

no I think it's 7 set to classic skin

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BuhamutZeo posted:

Well this is nice. I manually saved my first city before logging last night and I can't find the save anywhere on my computer. :(

the saves are normally stored in %appdata%\local\Colossal Order\etc. I think.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sipher posted:

Each line services a different part of the city; they're not connected.

In the midst of a 15,000 person die off, sigh.

Any chance you can post a pic of your death services overlay? Purely curiosity

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that's interesting. i don't know why, but i've never really seen a mass die-off like that. I wonder if it's just because I play slowly

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SynthOrange posted:

I think the scale in this game is fine.

imagine a world where the poo poo is the city and the houses are the sewage

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CaptainRightful posted:

I realize this is a cityscaping, traffic-organizing game meant to be played with a fairly distant zoom, but I can't help noticing that 100% of the people are white. Are those assets (along with vehicles) not editable?

except one dude on the basketball court.

it would be nice to have some more variety one day, not sure if it's on the devs' list yet though. Send them some feedback!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well it looks good. Plus, you're going with Pac Northwest. While Firston is becoming rather Manhattan-esque, complete with lovely haze/smog and kodakrome filter.

I guess I should look into towers then. I did a but earlier but a lot of them don't mention the model stats and I'm a bit worried about performance, but I guess its more CPU than GPU with this.

wait is there really a Kodachrome LUT? that would be so cool

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lots of people get owned by poopmageddon, but has anyone else gotten owned by placing a landfill next to a water tower? Because I sure did, early on in one of my cities. I couldn't even figure out what happened til I had already scrapped the city and started over :downs:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I haven't tried this yet, but earlier in the thread people were saying that you could build parks and then delete the roads to those parks in order to raise crime.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

there's probably something wrong with me, because i see this and want to try it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
looks like a huge grid of 6-lane roads with 1x1 spaces in between

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

am I the only one who will work on a city with full intentions of filling the entire map, get about 80,000 residents in, and decide that you can do better and start a new one?

Nope, although I mostly restart mine after about a half hour

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Those hockey/basketball/concert places are largely indoor-only and would probably take up a bit less space than the grass stadium

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Incinerators send out their own trash trucks. If you build a shitton of them and delete all your landfills, you will not have problems, I believe.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Nondescript Van posted:

No we need Futurama pneumatic tubes.

:swoon: best idea i've heard all day

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That's a pretty great april fools if that's part of their joke.

they also had some reddit stuff http://www.reddit.com/r/citiesskylines

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Metrication posted:

Any up to date sales figures? It has been top on Steam for weeks now.

no particular numbers I think, but an article is going around saying that PDX made $18.5 million off Pillars and Cities in three weeks. I think the game's future is quite bright

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SwissCM posted:

I need more city building music. Already exhausted the Sim City 3 and 4 soundtracks.

Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi seem to work well. Any other recommendations?

Steve Reich stuff, like Music for 18 Musicians. Pretty similar to the SC4 music, if I remember right

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if you're not pillaging all the natural resources from the earth on your map, what are you even doing!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Are there many/any brutalist things on the workshop so far? Anyone got links to them if so?

I saw zebra dude's post but just curious.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WarLocke posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Another dumb question: How exactly do water towers work? They seem to just provide water after you plonk them down, no need for a line to an outside source? Can you make do with just towers and sewage outlets, no water pumps?

yes, but don't plant them in ground pollution because they can poison your whole city

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Official twitter posted hype for later this week https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/600204783534919680

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
How do you turn on euro building styles? Or are they just random

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tendai posted:

EDIT: My response was basically "TUNNELS TUNNELS TUNNELS" and now the patch is downloading so slooooowly. :argh:
literally named my first 1.1.0 city "tunnels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Supraluminal posted:

I might be in the minority on this, but I think CO wasted their time with the water simulation. I'd have been happy with a simpler, more static water model - maybe preferred it, even. It's cute that you can flood your town with poop if you want to, but I just want rivers that don't go loving batshit every year or two. It just seems like the dynamic simulation causes more trouble than it's worth.

it seems like the kind of thing that could be mostly fixed with some minor parameter changes, hopefully it's on their list of things to look at