Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fans posted:

Hope they go full Paradox with the update schedule and we get a constant wave of bug fixes and mini-systems.

They've stated they plan to support this game in a similar way to how they've supported CK2 and EU4, so that's likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This game is really easy if you don't care about aesthetics or realistically navigable roadways.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Police Automaton posted:

It's basically Sim City 4, 2015 edition with all the logical expansions and bugfixes

It's deserving to be called Simcity 5 to be honest. Districts and seamless regions basically makes this the next step in city building games.

It's still rough around the edges but whats in the middle is a mile high

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Newbie question: How do I use Bus Stations? Bus Depots and Bus stops seem to operate just fine without one?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baronjutter posted:

I wanted to buy skylines but then it told me I needed "steam" so I installed steam, then it installed the game but then some dependency popped up saying I needed a "direct X update" so I just closed it down and gave up. Wayyy too many steps and too confusing.

Um isn't that whole process automated? Also if that process is too confusing this game may not be for you.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oh you're right, I missed the post he was satirizing

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah count me in as someone who enjoys the traffic solving stuff. That's why I liked the big soccer stadium thing. It throws a huge wrench into your traffic/transportation systems you need to rejigger everything around now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Parallel highways are easy, as long as they're completely straight.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If your grade school needs are being met you need to get a high school. Taking a loan out for it is worth it because more educated cims will earn more money than uneducated ones

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just want to be able to zone industrial areas in max-level education and income areas that don't pollute!

Yeah I know I can make them lumberyards or whatever but that looks retarded

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MisterBibs posted:

e: I think I need to get the Mass Transit DLC. You mean they added a mass transit item that occupies the same space as your roads?
I think Busses are available in vanilla?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It drives me crazy that subway stops in this game don't snap neatly into the corner of intersections.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

snoremac posted:

This is on sale but I’m daunted by the DLC. Is any of it essential? Is it like EU4 where a bunch of the new stuff is updated for free?

I wouldn't say any of the DLC is essential. And usually the best features of each DLC are part of the free update/patch that the DLC releases with. Perfectly playable with just the vanilla game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Do you mind posting your modlist? Are those euro-style block townhouses a mod? And what do you use to make those industrial areas?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

So I looked at a bunch of the OP resources and they seemed comically out of date for the most part so I'm just going to ask here.

I've been really struggling with traffic, got the mods to mess with traffic lights and figured out a few basics but once I reach like 20k-30k everything just clogs to hell and I just can't figure out how to fix it. Is there anything decent and current on how to get traffic off the highway and into the city?

Do you have transit? 25k+ population is usually when I start putting down bus lines. Set up like 2-4 lines along major roads and you should see it help a lot.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

IAmTheRad posted:

I just have up to Snowfall. Yes I know it's like the 2nd expansion pack. Next steam sale I'll complete the collection.

Is it wrong if I just want to make a neat looking city if I just use the infinite money mod that comes with the game and just build and not care about silly things like making a well balanced city that is very profitable?

99% of the people making nice looking cities have cheats turned on. Its not like the game is particularly hard anyway so its not like you're missing out on anything.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AwkwardKnob posted:

So you go in ahead of time and terraform the shoreline to be uniform in height and layout so the walls stay straight? That's something I haven't experimented a lot with but it makes sense.

Yeah I've been watching videos of people making nice cities and if there's thing I've learned, I need to be terraforming way more than I currently am (which is zero)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Banana Man posted:

Dumb question but do people on bikes get on buses?

I don't think so? Someone feel free to correct me.

They definitely take subway/metro on bike though

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Them adding a 'move building' for plopable service buildings(possibly a mod) has been a godsend for demolishing entire neighbourhoods so I can put a highway through it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played this game in a very long time. I check this thread now and then though. You still have to do this kind of thing to make traffic manageable huh

Nah traffic is managed by building bus stops everywhere and having 80% of your population waiting for a bus instead of driving.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dick Trauma posted:

I forgot that the reason I haven't been playing this game is because I suck at it, despite having watched more hours of YouTube tutorials than actual time played.

Are you me? I stumbled on this guy and this particular video and realized I rarely ever used zoning and it's making me want to make another badly designed inefficient city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjjvpE5KCKs

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Duodecimal posted:

I believe that, unmodded, everyone that moves in in a particular week or month or year are all the same age, and everyone dies at a specific age (maybe affected by healthcare at that time?).

So if you build a huge section of town and 10,000 people move in, X years later those 10k people all die at the same time.

There are mods that curve out both move in age and life expectancy.

Yeah. This is why you want to avoid zoning huge swathes of neighbourhoods all at once. Do it maybe a couple blocks at a time or the death wave will overload your deathcare/roads

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OwlFancier posted:

Would also be nice if there were more of a focus on walkability and such, if i have a complaint about skylines it's that everyone loving loves cars.

I mean they kinda don't. Once you offer bike lanes and transit and even pedestrian paths that cut through neighborhoods, people will vastly prefer them to cars. The real problem is that zoning is defined by roads. You can't zone an area based off just pedestrian paths for example.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya-N7pM-g0

VR city building I guess? Also its exclusive to people who own a Quest 2

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

For the love of god, please have mixed used zoning this time

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

err posted:

as someone with a good computer, i've had no issues with anything and have been enjoying it a lot

Please define good computer and 'no issues'. Wondering if I should pull the trigger on this

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I heard they fixed the performance issues from unplayable to actually kind of reasonable?

Anyone know how a 7800X3D and 6800 XT would do? I guess I can try it for 2 hours and just refund it if it's not playable.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I am apparently addicted to starting new cities. About 8 hours in now and I have 6 city save files.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a way to delete smaller sections of road? I just want to demolish a few cells without leveling the entire neighborhood of rowhomes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My commercial districts are constantly complaining about not having enough customers, even though they're all located in busy, high-traffic areas. As far as I can tell they don't actually go out of business or abandon the property though?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Away all Goats posted:

My commercial districts are constantly complaining about not having enough customers, even though they're all located in busy, high-traffic areas. As far as I can tell they don't actually go out of business or abandon the property though?

Demolished the buildings and they were immediately developed into new businesses that had no problem finding customers. So it seems it just gets 'stuck' thinking there's no customers

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Disappointing there's no way to change the amount of cars that a tram has. I want old Toronto style street cars rather than the super long modern ones the game has.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

One thing this game does a lot better than the first Skylines is the gradual increase of size from SFH -> rowhomes -> medium residential/mixed/High density commercial -> high density office/residential. You can make much more natural looking cities just through zoning and its great.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

when do the people start wanting more than low density residential and industrial, because goddamn.

This is my current city

The low density residential has been at that 30-40% point for a while now, though I don't recall when it started really dropping. Possibly when I began seriously investing in transit (I have a bout 8 bus lines, 2 subway lines and a train line that goes off-map) which made demand for the other categories skyrocket.

Overhead view to show how little sprawl there has been:

The few white buildings on the West end with the Quarry and Farm is 100% of my zoned industrial. You may notice space between them because they don't even move in anymore.

My population is very educated, even though I still haven't gotten around to building a university (highest level is college)

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 5, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I'd give this game a few more patches. Right now I can't build a suspension bridge because the deck/road of the bridge is 'in the way' of the towers. I ended up building a tunnel.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Martian posted:

Maybe this isn't it, but this happens if you try to build a double bridge with the distance between the roads set to 1 (the default). You can set it higher to resolve this.

lol thank you that was it. Incredible the game's default setting for building bridges doesn't actually let you build bridges.

MikeJF posted:

The demand in this game just means 'people will move in if this is available', not 'this city doesn't have enough of this'. Low density homes are pretty much always going to be popular.

I managed to attain zero low-density residential demand in my current city and from what I can tell it's from having high education and high land value(parks, services and transit). Plots are even being abandoned and the vast majority of my citizens live in denser housing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Watch the next announcement be the console release date and how they're focusing all resources on it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My 5 industrial buildings surrounded by forest export $13 million in timber. But it was like that before the patch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's Beach Properties, the actual beach is sold separately.