Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

cthulhoo posted:

This goddamn map. :3:

Which map is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The existing elevated roundabouts for highways didnt fit into my split avenue idea, so I made a really compact (in width) 'roundabout' based on elevated highway with as little width lost as possible for the actual roundabout.

Presenting: the elevated-elevated-ovalabout :

Works just like an elevated roundabout, except with about 50% of the width - so it fits in more narrow areas where you already had 1-level elevated highways easily. It's based on already having 1-level elevated highways, so the actual oval is level 2.
This makes it a little trickier to connect roads to it, but allows tighter zones while still having the roundabout function. Workshop link

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arrath posted:

Yup, totally putting this in my cities. Thanks!

Glad you guys like it! I just made it so I could fit an elevated roundabout on an exisiting elevated highway in a narrow arrea, and it seems to work well, even if connecting roads to the roundabout looks like spaghetti. You can draw onramps to the HW easily, its just roads to the actual roundabout take some spaghetti curves

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Domattee posted:

Unfortunately not, that's one of the bigger things currently missing from the game. But given how it's been selling I'd be suprised if they didn't put out either an update or DLC with that feature some time Soon(TM).

If they implement tunnels like they did in CiM proper, we'll see whole worlds of new intersections. In CiM, tunnels worked on levels just like overpasses do now - so you can cross and seperate several subterannearn road tunnels on several levels.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Burial being a city provided service seems really weird to me. Is this a thing that is provided in European countries?

I cant speak for other EU countries, but here (Belgium) a basic 'proper' burial is standard, but usually the cost is heaped upon the descendants. Literally someone in your family tree is paying for the burial, as basic as it is. And the basic version is pretty much an ikea coffin. Not like you'll care, cause, you know, you're dead and the coffin is going to rot anyway. As for space, its usally in cheap non-in-city-limit spaces that are left over, and after 25 years or so you get dug up.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Re: Asset stuff - The constant presence of the grid makes it actually harder than it should to measure out grids and proper circles than it is ingame. At least ingame the grid is blue on white, but in the asset editor everything is white on 'brighter white'

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Roadie posted:

The game really needs to have some sort of randomized lifespan for cims. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to generate a random death date for each cim based on actuarial tables or whatever.

1) Edit asset and save it. This makes a new .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets.
2) Subscribe to asset on Workshop.
3) In Content Manager, go to the Workshop version of the asset and use the Update button.
4) In the new popup, use the folder button, which will open a new window in Explorer/Finder/whatever to a staging folder for that workshop item.
5) Manually copy the new .crp file over the old one in the staging folder.
6) Manually copy a new snapshot over PreviewImage.png in the staging folder.
7) Go back into Skylines and submit the asset update.
8) Delete the .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets to keep the game from complaining at you about duplicate assets.

It's awkward as hell.

Man I just went through that after I found out my oval-about had a liner road I missed. That poo poo is stupid as hell. At least now it's fixed, but goddamn that is an awkard as hell process.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Once you get incinerators, is there a point to keeping landfills? Incinerator trucks function the same as normal garbage trucks in terms of picking up trash from residences, right?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I've been using elevated highway between two avenues for through-traffic, but I had severe traffic issues for basically anything coming from the industrial district to supply commercial, or really any traffic using my highway underpass.

It turns out the dumbell interchange works really, really well at de-congesting otherwise 2x 4-way intersections on underpasses

I made a quick version for elevated highways to slot into my existing city elevated highways, but I figured it might be good on workshop as well:

It's really a stupid simple solution, but it worked really well to reduce gridlock on the intersections you'd get on underpass intersections for high traffic frontage roads. Workshop link

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

So how does garbage work?

Landfills send out trucks to collect garbage from buildings across the city, looks like.

Do incinerators fetch garbage from buildings, or do they get it from landfills? Or both?

As far as I understand it:

- Landfills and Incinerators will both collect garbage from buildings
- Incinerators won't haul garbage from landfills to incinerate (as you might expect)
- Landfills have way more capacity - both in storage and trucks - than incinerators can burn, so they're still useful as a buffer
- If you 'empty' a landfil, landfill trucks will haul garbage to incinerators or another empty landfill.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Forestry and farming is totally realistic and not at all over powered.

The farms in the second pic used to be basically a superfund site.

Wait, do Forestry and farming reduce pollution ?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Standard 4-lane boulevards are for scrubs. Drawing one-way roads and filling it with ped streets/parks grants a whole level of control on intersections.

World's tiniest functional roundabout without lights

Side-streets without intersection

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This looks fantastic

e: the 2x1 parks are not fantastic though

edit again: is that a parking spaces park in the ped walk way :stare:

I have custom 1x1, 1x4 and 1x10 'parks' that offer no attraction/tourist value but are basically free to place. The 1x10 has functional parking spaces, which is what you're seeing. Anything that doesnt fit I fill up with pedestrian walkways. It works surprisingly well since this faux boulevard doesnt put up traffic lights when intersecting with basic roads, and you can control when you want a real intersection rather than just a side street. Space your one-way roads one tile between, and you can fill the space with pedestrian walkways seamlessly.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 23, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Skylines finally got knocked off the #1 steam sellers list by -
GTA V preorder. Because its definitely not getting pushed back this time.

Honestly the 2k sale was goddamn solid and I'm surprised that wasn't the thing that would push out Skylines. Turns out a proper citybuilder with modding support at a low price would prove really popular!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Whoever made that Canals map, i've been enjoying it!

My only real beef is that in order to get an outside rail connection you need to expand in certain directions, or have the 25 Tile mod just to get tourist rail. If youre doing a revision, just connect those highways and rail.
Other than that, it's a really fun map.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

AwkwardKnob posted:

So you go in ahead of time and terraform the shoreline to be uniform in height and layout so the walls stay straight? That's something I haven't experimented a lot with but it makes sense.

Custom assets help a lot too! The Breakwater and 'Docks' assets go a long way to making goodlooking seawall, assuming youve flattened the area a bit

There's also "Quayset" and a more rocky looking seawall for less industrial areas. I really like the seawall in particular as it works just like the Quay walls in that you can draw curves easily

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is there a concise list of which DLC's are worth getting, and which are the must-have mods? I havent really played this game since late 2018 and I'm looking to get back into it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

So the first lovely thing about CS2 is that they're simulating morning and evening rush hours but you can only adjust public transportation in day/night intervals. Having more buses run on a line between 4 and 7 PM is just not an option.

Its funny because iirc Cities in Motion - the transport infrastructure focused game before Skylines, allowed exactly this.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

AFAIK CS2 actually has a system where commercial buildings are vacant until businesses move into them, which is when signs and stuff get put up. It'd be cool if they could use that for mixed use zoning type stuff where the same building could be a residence or business but that'd probably make their engine explode.

Cant wait for the first mod that turns vacant commercial lots into Spirit Halloween stores

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Games should be designed so that the recommended card is a high-ish end one?

Gently put: you guys are being bit luddity here. The game shouldn’t be designed from the drat get go to be a gimped one.

3080 is the high end card of three years ago. It absolutely is a reasonable recommendation to be the good option for the game.

It also leaves future space for graphicsl updates.

According to the recent Steam HW surveys, there is all of 3% of players with a 3080 or 3080TI, 1% with a 3090 or ti, and sub 1% for 40x series cards in each range (4060, 4070, etc) - a total of 5-7% of players with a card >= 3080. I don't know AMD model numbers but I doubt they'll be much difference for their performance brackets. 3060 and 3070 by comparison have an almost 11% and 4% share each

For reference, Starfield claims a 2080, Darktide a 3060, Doom Eternal a 2060. 3080 recommended is pretty high on the scale.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

The more I think about it the more sure I am the economic situation is either a bug or, more likely imo, a last-minute fudge they pushed out because something was wrong with the model and they couldn't fix it in time. The system they touted had a whole dev diary and also forms central parts of both logistics chains within your city, and imports and exports. It's not that I think they're so extraordinarily honest that I can't imagine these were lies, but that if they were deliberate lies they would have done a better job of hiding it. Like this would be the equivalent of the game not actually having mass transit and just teleporting people everywhere, but not even bothering to provide a fake number of passengers when you look at a bus.

Youtubers were making money hand over fist setting up basic-rear end export in preview videos. I wonder if they broke something last-minute trying to "fix" that? Given how much focus some of their own developer videos had on economy it would be really strange to go the SC2013 route and just fudge the numbers.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

piratepilates posted:

Port Aransas seems similar to Galveston, which was another one I had in mind, but they both seem pretty.......un-dense, which works against what I want (maximum density).

You have to hack it with slightly raised roads: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17j642x/an_easy_way_to_make_quays/

but its a lot of manual work, and not an actual placeable seawall.

Until a mod like Road Anarchy or similar comes out itss a giant PITA to put down, the game will often prevent you from placing such quay roads on a shore because of "water" and its a lot of pixel hunting to find where you can or can't place a raised road/quay that doesn't turn into a non-zoneable bridge.

Edit: That is to say, there are two "quay" roads. One is zoneable, the other is not and is basically just a bridge with a wall. The road can have trees/etc added, but the bridge version cannot. The zoneable version is the one that's a pain in the rear end to get working

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Which option in the dev menu disables features of sims like hair etc? Been looking around the Rendering submenu and others but can't really find anything that would point to that

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

Unfortunately the only premade intersections you get are generally loving gigantic highway interchanges and not really ones you can plop in anywhere. They're very nice as gigantic highway interchanges but I was hoping for more variety. Looking forward to modders putting a bunch more in.

You cant even raise/lower the entire intersection in cases of sunken or raised highways, big miss

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

There is some real weird Z-flickering on roads if you zoom out when there's snow on it too

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Its odd how they went so hard about making service buildings upgradeable and semi-modular, but you can't plop down a train station or rail yard that doesn't come with a shitton of extra tracks. Where's my rural / urban / terminal train stations?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Home court advantage

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

I wish the modular additions were more flexible with placement, too. It would be nice to be able to place like the elementary school health building across the street, for example.

Also, wanna relocate it? Tough tits, gotta bulldoze the whole thing, or relocate the whole thing in its current unmodifiable layout. "Modular".

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Wish accidents had replays because I would have loved to see what lead to this

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Dr. Clockwork posted:

man that last shot is inspiring. there's a youtube named Infrastructurist who's been doing videos on "realistic" city builds and his stuff is kind of like this too. I too end up painting every empty space with buildings but having some breathing room looks great and makes a lot more sense for the average (not NYC) city.

Here's my 25k town with zero postal service or garbage pickup:

Can't wait for thoses proper asset packs though, the EU assets aren't great imo

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

No elevated train station is a sin

Even as a "city painter" its missing a lot of stuff - why doesn't the terraform option have a surface painter? Can't make beaches or non-grassy plains. Can't remove or add water (eg: making lakes requires you to dig a channel and let it fill, then close it)

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 7, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

RCI is more like a "want" instead of a "need", I think. People want more single family residential, but all theyre gonna get is apartments and soviet style low rent housing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Show me your city entrances / starter tiles

Out of all things, the "city entrance" is always the hardest for me to get looking organic and I see myself always making the same cosmetic mistakes

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I feel better now

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is that the skybox clipping through your river?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Am I correct in understanding that this means those hyped asset packs and more-than-basic-QoL-mods are months away?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Well that sucks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

They do all take like 3 weeks off in December in Sweden though right? Pretty sure I remember this because 10 years ago Paradox released a patch for Crusader Kings 2 in early December which completely broke the game and then hosed off for 3 weeks.

Ah, the Fatshark development style

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I just want terraforming tools to be able to add/remove water without having to play canaldigger simulator

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Not being able to save your own blueprints for intersections and stuff like in CS1 is just criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Why do I even need to make a line and railyard for neighbouring train connections? Let them come to me, use your own trains you cheapskates.

Related: Can you make "new" train connections to neighbouring cities on maps that don' t have one yet? There's already a highway connection but no rail.