Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If anyone needs some of the expansions, Humble is running a bundle with a lot of em which may or may not save you some money:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/cities-skylines-build-today-plan-for-tomorrow

Speaking of that, spare codes for whoever wants em (lemme know if you took em and ill delete them from the post):

Base game - *F3RD-8P2RW-2BL5M

Snowfall DLC - *7PPF-88PB2-BFKL5

Mass Transit DLC - claimed

Natural Disasters DLC - claimed

* = the number that comes after six

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Not to do a hardware derail, but you shouldn’t be buying a 3080 new at this point, they are out of production and Nvidia doesn’t really do discounts on old parts anymore. They are $400 used, and the roughly equivalent 4070 is $450 new.

Not cheap, but not $750.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If performance looks interesting for older CPUs, I will break out my insane collection of older CPUs and make some charts. Supposedly the game is much more thread aware than CS1, so might be some interesting results.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I read a few reviews and I think im comfortable buying it at at the asking price. I personally really wanted the game to be more of a simulator so that sounds great to me.

Although I am absolutely gonna wait a few days for the thread to guide my hand, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tatsuta Age posted:

is any of this because of like, the same problem CK3 had where obviously a brand new game isn't on day 1 gonna be as full as the previous game with 5+ years of DLC and enhancements

The community is also VERY dependent on mods, and while CO did integrate the functionality of some of the mods, they didn't do all of them. Stuff like MoveIt and Anarchy. The upside is I imagine those mods will exist for CS2 like, 2 hours after it launches. If that. Assuming the new mod platform works?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Sounds like the new mod platform will no be operational on launch.

Woof, i thought it was gonna be up by next week. Yeah i might hold off a bit too... if I have any self control.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lots of people streaming it on Twitch now. Jumping around, the performance doesn't look game breaking? Definitely some hitching with low camera angles though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ihmemies posted:

I want a flat map. I’ve never seen crazy rear end hills in IRL cities around me. I hope the Tampere preorder map will be flat, because it is quite flat..

meanwhile i always feel like city builder maps are too flat

"People from California hate it when there's not a mountain range on the horizon. They get very scared"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’ve decided to go for it tomorrow and do a huge day 1 CPU performance comparison post. Apparently the game is mostly GPU limited, but we will find out how low you can go on the CPU side.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Go into the advanced tab and switch it to TAA, even if you are a TAA hater. Dunno if the SMAA/FXAA implementations are busted or somethin, but in motion, the TAA is dramatically nicer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

7800X3D+3090 in the 100k test city at night in the rain. 1080p, windowed fullscreen, TAA on, motion blur off. everything else set to high:

21fps

doing the recommended tweaks of depth of field off, volumetrics off, and LOD set to medium:

36fps

during the day, no rain, same scene:

30fps

with tweaks:

44fps

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Taking a break from testing as my Bulldozer/AM3+ board has decided it doesnt want to join the chart. Before I move to the Intel side of life, Heres the AMD CPU performance scaling I'm seeing.

Tests with a 3090 at 1080p high settings with depth of field off, motion blur off, volumetrics off, level of detail medium, TAA on. Running the earlier linked 100k benchmark map at night in the rain and day with no weather.

To say this game is nearly strongly GPU limited is an understatement. And yes, I reran the 7800X3D results multiple times. It nearly gets equaled by a Ryzen 1700. Something is definitely wrong there, not feeling great about that purchase at the moment.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I asked GamersNexus if they were gonna do a video on the Cities Skylines performance issues and Steve replied that they have been testing all day and they will have more soon. Sounds like a video might be in the works.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tarnop posted:

I'm trying to build a subway and it makes me want to uninstall the game. Trying to make anything connect up underground is a loving nightmare

Just had the same experience.

Game feels like 6-12 months underbaked, but I still played a good amount today. There’s good bones and it is functional, but it’s not done.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BigglesSWE posted:

Turning off natural disaster, will that turn off traffic accidents as well?

Traffic accidents (and house fires) will still happen with natural disasters off.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Post Offices/Post Sorting facilities seem broken. The mail piles up and nobody actually takes it to be sorted.

Also land fills are broken. You can plop Hazardous Waste Collection Points on top of the garbage pile with no decrease in capacity, but doing so locks the garbage pile area tool for having an overlapping item forever.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RoyalScion posted:

Supposedly incinerators are bugged and not working properly.

I watched my incinerators, industrial waste processing sites, and recycling centers, and their stored garbage amounts are definitely ticking down. Not fast mind you, but they are going down. Not sure if they are working correctly, but they do seem to be processing... something.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Grand Fromage posted:

It makes a little island for the stops too.

The island is the entire road segment though so they can get way too big. You can insert nodes with an alley or something to adjust it.

E: The "small homes" negative to happiness seems way out of whack. You rented a place in a cheap apartment building, of course your home is small. Also why is it assuming everyone wants a huge house? I'll take a basic one bedroom apartment in an excellent location over a McMansion in the middle of nowhere any day and I don't think I'm alone in that.

At some point a bigger home is just more empty space you have to clean. Don't need it.

Only works for large roads I think, not mediums. boo.

MikeC posted:

You can try going into the Bus menu and paint on the dedicated mass transit/service vehicle lane. Then paint on the tracks. You want a dedicated lane so they don't get caught up in traffic jams anyway.

This does work tho

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you have phantom traffic light/stop signs in the middle of a road without an intersection, try adding a crosswalk and then removing it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Grand Fromage posted:

It works on four lanes too. But it is subtracting lanes from the cars, so a four lane median road with trams is a two car lane, two tram lane road. If you want to preserve four traffic lanes you need to use a six.

my mistake! the center running island stations are so long that it appeared like it was adding the tram tracks to a regular travel lane per usual, but once it got further out, it did indeed turn into dedicated center running tram lanes. neat!

also i enjoy watching my high speed intercity trains getting stuck behind slow freight trains for miles and miles, just like american rail! perfect!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni posted:

also i enjoy watching my high speed intercity trains getting stuck behind slow freight trains for miles and miles, just like american rail! perfect!

another fun Americanism, drivers seem to willfully drive in bus only lanes for fairly significant distances, even if you ban turns on either side of them... they just do it anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Asproigerosis posted:

So the game is unplayable?

With the post launch patch, it is playable for me. Performance still isn't great, and the content and polish is more akin to a $30 early access city builder than a $50 release with big hype, but i'm already up to 23hrs played so!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

some screenshots of jank

that was a hell of a snow cell.

big

row house residents have decided to sleep standing up outside frozen in time like zombies. halloween 2 spooky.

big

e: for people asking about die off waves, they definitely seem to still happen although I havent worked out exactly why yet.

big

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 28, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Enjoying this bug where people form human walls in the crosswalks and refuse to move. I like to think they are protesting.

(this seems to be related to an overflowing bus stop)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also i think elementary schools are bugged the same as import/export and trash. I currently have a pop of 144k with only 14k listed as uneducated.... but have 31k people in elementary school?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

Not all cims will get educated. Especially adult cims. I was tracking a family of 3 and one of the adults never got an education. Single income household and the 2nd adult was "idling" whenever I checked up on them.
For sure, but i still have 22% of my pop in elementary school despite only 8% of them not having already gone. Maybe they are all Billy Madison'ing it regularly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

How do you see how many people completed each tier of education? I can only find screens to show me education levels attained (which is not necessarily the same thing?).

I've looked in both the education overlay (I in the upper left corner) and the city statistics (barchart button in the lower right). They show the level of education for cims in either a pie chart or line graph.

Or is the implication here that people are graduating university without an elementary school education, and then going back and getting it later? Is that something that can happen? Because If so, lol. In CS1 and in the CS2 documentation I've found, cims had to be an appropriate age for the school and have completed the lower tier.

Also even if that was the case, I've had 30k+ elementary school capacity for like 2 in game years and the listed graduating time for elementary school is 6 months. I should have churned 120k+ students in the last 2 years alone. Something seems fishy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

explosivo posted:

Game's got me hooked blemishes and all

Yeah this game is gonna be an all-timer of 1,000 hours played steam reviews with the thumbs down in its current state. I'm fully hooked and the running list of bugs/issues ive found is probably 100 long at this point... yet I still want to play more.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Double-Post for GamersNexus making a big in depth CS2 performance video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DX6mUY78s

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mfcrocker posted:

Do you have Dynamic Resolution on? That might be what's up

I’ve got Dynamic Res off with a 3090 and I’ve been having the same issue. Seems to have started when the city got larger.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Exporting power has been a huge boon for my city. Apparently the max value for service exports is 1M a month tho, boo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

old heads: the SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 soundtracks are on spotify

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Not for me. I’ve heard that terrible fake Freud guy dozens of times with ads off. Also everytime unload my game I have to click ads off again.

If you switch to the other 2 radio stations, the news ads go away once you toggle the switch. Seems like... and you aren't gonna believe this... a bug.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

Wait. So you switch the one of the other 2 stations, then click off ads, then click back to the classical station?

The two other stations dont have news breaks once you hit the button. The default station still did, from my experience. Dunno if switching back and forth does anything.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

piratepilates posted:

Ok now post the rest of the neighbourhood? Is it surrounded by an empty field? Vertical car parking is also a thing, it's a thing in Manhattan, it's less of a thing in Topeka (please don't find a vertical parking lot in Topeka I beg of you).

Carvana built these things all over the US. Not saying the commercial density makes sense in the game though, cause it doesn’t.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah getting the tram or bus to stop at just the right spot on a block can be fiddly. Luckily you can click on the stop and move it without having to redo lines.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mail/Garbage/Cargo still seems to be broken.

Happy to see the thousands of zombie citizens sleeping standing up in front of their houses has been addressed, I think that is where a lot of the increased transit ridership is coming from.

Cygni posted:

row house residents have decided to sleep standing up outside frozen in time like zombies. halloween 2 spooky.

big

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ninjahedgehog posted:

How exactly does the mail/post office system work? Got a couple post offices but they don't seem to be doing anything, please tell me I don't have to individually plop down mailboxes everywhere

The mail system doesnt work at the moment so dont bother. Or just plop them and turn them off.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

nielsm posted:

You will definitely get negative happiness from not having any mail service at all, and it can be enough to heavily stunt your city's development.

I've got a -7 to -15 on all my buildings tagged either "mail service" or "unreliable mail service" despite 5 post offices and a processing plant. Deleting them all doesn't seem to change that debuff (someone else might want to try it though).

You may get a short term boost from adding them as they fill up, but since nothing moves once its full it doesn't seem to do much long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fishstick posted:

Show me your city entrances / starter tiles

Out of all things, the "city entrance" is always the hardest for me to get looking organic and I see myself always making the same cosmetic mistakes

Mine are always poorly made spaghetti disasters, i love them: