Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Pimping my work. Color correction for everyone!

True color correction. Best on Temperate maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960822

Sunset color correction. Best on Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406958722

Future color correction. Best on Temperate or Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960231

Desert color correction. Best on Tropical maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408602076

And you can get the desert oasis map in that screenshot here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408599649

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

eggyolk posted:

For some reason waterfront property is a negative in this game. Property value in general is odd. My polluted industrial park is full of children's playgrounds with brown trees.

I would love for a city building game to recognize land value correctly i.e. waterfront, hilltop and downtown proximity, as opposed to "how many playgrounds are nearby". I bet it could be modded.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

TomR posted:

I was playing around making the tightest circles of highway I could and made a crazy bad roundabout.

I suspect it would be a bit anticlimactic because the cars will never use anything but the outermost lane even if traffic is backed up for miles.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

sigseven posted:

This Swindon Magic Roundabout knock-off says otherwise:

Ooh, that is interesting. I wonder what makes them use the inner circle. It's plausible that it finds a shorter path through the middle of the roundabout than going around the outside and prioritizes that. It's big enough that some traffic will find shorter routes along the outside while others are shorter through the middle. I bet it holds up well in high density traffic!

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Noyemi K posted:

Due to complaints about parks required to upgrade/appease industry, I've made some suitable parks for industrial locales, as you can see here and here.

Oh man, that's great. I hate dropping tree parks in my industrial just so they'll upgrade. Sub'd.

Goddammit I can't get over how great the modding is in this game. Hey, identify a tiny problem that the developer will never fix because it's low priority? Don't worry, the community already fixed it.

edit: heh, there's quite a few industrial parks on workshop :)
edit 2: every other industrial park mod I tried seems to have forgotten that you need to make it actually affect land value and are useless. Thanks Noyemi!

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 16, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Roadie posted:

This guy's Patreon is already up to $132 per building.

For reals, though, I never realized what a crazy amount of work it is just to put one building together for games like this.

This man is a genius. And yeah this poo poo is time-consuming, I used to model environments, terrain and make lookup tables for SW:tOR and I put in about 25 hours on the Skylines mods I put up on the first page. Good for him making the best of a layoff, I'm gonna give him money.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Confirmed works. My commercial demand immediately rose back up to expected levels and nothing else (like land value) seems to be affected. Plus people still use the parks, score.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Ofaloaf posted:

This is basically the right way to go about it when two highways meet, right?

That highway looks like it was left out in the rain and got soggy. It's beautiful.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

simosimo posted:

Too soon?

Not soon enough. Brilliant.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I made another color lookup table, because I felt like Boreal maps are meant to be cold but don't feel like it. I think I may have a problem.

I also figured out an interesting trick to make near-camera appear higher contrast than far away, giving it a "fog in the distance" look.

This map is called Innsbruck Valley btw (not made by me), and it is a real bitch challenge to play due to being a tight mountain pass, but it's pretty and one of the few user maps I've found that doesn't have some kind of glaring design flaw.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 18, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

TheQat posted:

Is that . . . seriously something SimCity 2013 did? I never played it. Why on earth would you want an inaccurate population . . .

Because if they gave real numbers you'd be disappointed with your 7,000 citizen "metropolis". I don't get why you'd want to do this in Skylines, though.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Have you uploaded that lookup table yet?

I haven't, because I'm... making another lut. What the hell is wrong with me?

Ofaloaf posted:

Demolishing all the abandoned industrial buildings helped, and now the city's population has bounded up to 14k. This dunes map is quite the thing!

Awesome, very rewarding seeing someone use my map!

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

bitcoin bastard posted:

The first Google result for "cities skylines spui" is a torrent site. :psyduck:

Pirating's just part of the deal nowadays. People will pirate $0.99 games, but Paradox was smart making Skylines $30 (cheap) and making mod support so easy on Steam for this exact reason. At the end of the day you can't stop people from pirating but you sure as poo poo can give them a good reason to pay you. The alternative is you can make the game always online (SC2013) but we all know how that went over.

I didn't work at Maxis but from what I understand of the industry I'm 90% sure EA forced Maxis to make SimCity online-only, Maxis said if we're gonna do that, we may as well make regions for multiple people to play with co-op resources, and if we do that, we'll have to restrict the size of city plots. You get this terrible series of design decisions based on one top-level business decision.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 18, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

cthulhoo posted:

Dear Chewbot please upload the boreal LUT, tia.

I'll probably have two ready to go later today but (theoretically) I am working right now :D

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Okay people ripping the entire steam library of workshop items and putting it in a pirate pack is kind of weird

Fake internet points is a hell of a drug.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

xzzy posted:

No one knows exactly because they're all insane and unable to articulate themselves coherently.

They talk about copyright a lot though so it either has to do with maintaining recognition or making money off it.

Hilarious that there's people who spent 2 hours making a mod for someone else's game that took 50 people 3 years to make, and they're worried about copyright infringement and theoretical profits.

Give it away for free and for fun to as many people as possible, you loving dipshits. Even that guy on Patreon is giving away his buildings to non-supporters.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
There are now mod tools for modders in Steam mods. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409520576&searchtext=

Modception.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Last lookup table for a while, I think. This one's called Verdant, works best in Boreal maps but looks pretty good on Temperate too. I was going for lush green trees/grass and bright sunlight without blowing out any highlights.

I'm gonna upload this and the winter lut to workshop now.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 19, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Well, gently caress.

Your cims:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Goddamn this thread moves fast. Amazing work on the billboards, is there any easy way to download them all?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Alright, I finally put up my last two color lookup tables on Steam workshop:

Evergreen: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412606092
Works best on Temperate or Boreal maps.

Winter: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412609519
Works best on Boreal maps.

Sorry about the delay. I was struck by a sudden wave of hard-to-give-a-poo poo when I saw that the top downloaded LUTs are (in my jealous opinion) lazy and/or ugly but have the word "Realistic" in the name so they must be the best. Excuse my ranting.

That'll probably be the last bit of content I make for the game! It was fun but very time consuming. Now I'm gonna sit back and enjoy my little digital model train set. Please rate me on Steam if you liked my work. Thanks!

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 23, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

kinnas posted:

Vouching for the fire spread mod. It is awesome.

Forgot to switch to camera mode so a bit less picturesque but more "ohshitohshitohshit"

The firemen put the fires out and nothing too terrible happens but every now and then you get to witness this dramatic event going down. Should've just been in the vanilla game.

Oh my goodness, this is beautiful.

Separate topic: there's pretty much no reason not to go nuts with building variations, right? Performance or stability? I don't have any plans to share save game files on workshop.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I feel you.

The best part is waiting for your loving rivers to flow in REAL TIME in the map editor holy poo poo why.

A trick I found working with water:

set your time speed to 3x, hit the "reset water levels" button twice. It should refill everything pretty quickly without sploshing all over the place.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Thanks Chewbot for finally releasing that evergreen LUT.

Just need to fix some gaps in reality along the highways and then let it sit for 30 minutes at maximum speed to see if the water sources will gradually flood the whole map. Maybe add some more trees. Thank god for nlight's "run simulation as fast as your CPU lets you" mod.

You're welcome! I will surely be trying this map, as rolling green hills and valleys is my favorite map type. Too much flat stuff by default.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Okay I'm actually playing my map for real for the first time, and welp. I was worried that this map might be a little on the tough side with how hilly it is and I was right. This map is relatively flat in the playable area, but there are a lot of really small changes in elevation. I don't think it will be possible to make large, gridlike cities outside of the few areas I intentionally leveled. Just a word of warning for anyone who doesn't want to bother with something that will sort of gently caress you over in terms of playability. On the other hand, it at least looks nice.

It is harder to use than the default maps but produces great views. I think forcing the player to not make grids is a good thing. I had no problem making a functional town: two gifs I made from your map:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Y'know how I said I wasn't going to make any more lookup tables? Well I made three.

All of the ones before this have been dramatic changes which look good in screenshots, but actually playing the game with them can be a little straining. These are made specifically for playing the game. I made one LUT for each map type that goes as neutral as possible, with smooth lighting so highlights don't get blown out and shadows aren't too dark. Basically, they're soft white light (and not surprisingly, to make each map look similar the actual LUTs are wildly different).

Temperate

Boreal

Tropical

Is anybody interested in this? The larger section of each shot is the part I changed.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
It's completely unbelievable to me that the game's been out two weeks and there's over 20,000 mods... and most of them are good. Some of them are incredible. I just downloaded a mod that lets you select multiple citizens and keeps track of them in a window so you can follow what your named citizens are doing. And I downloaded a custom Mayor Town Hall and a Chipotle restaurant, a 7-Eleven, a BMW dealership, a food cart, a playable map of Honolulu, and a mod that names buildings using random word tables for infinite combinations.

And this was all uploaded in the LAST 24 HOURS.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 25, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
The random business name generator mod is working flawlessly:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

But I want everything neat and tidy and roads that make sense and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I suppose now we know why most real world cities are a clusterfuck. If you have infinite funds from the start and lay everything out before zoning it's pretty easy.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I know it's a pipe dream but I so wish this game had weather or disasters.

Why is it a pipe dream? At this point the modders might even do it before Colossal, but I'd bet the devs have it on their to-do list as well.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Bogan Krkic posted:

I was really excited for this mod, but for the life of me I can't get it to work, and I've still got a row of 17 Frank's Fishstick Factories whenever I zone commercial. Are there any known mods that don't allow it to work, or a secret I'm missing?

If you've got an existing city of named buildings I don't believe it automatically renames them. I started a new city.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Control Volume posted:

dont complain it keeps education levels down

It is weird that keeping your city education-free is one of the bigger problems in Skylines... throw an elementary school anywhere on the planet and suddenly all your cims are too good to make fish sticks.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
So here's a question. Let's say you have one water source: a river flowing from north to south. If you place water treatment plants in the middle of the river, at some point in time the water flow reverses and poo starts pushing into the northern half, against the water flow. First of all, what? Secondly, what the hell do you do about that?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Inspector_666 posted:

Just reposition your pumps and dumps, you've already laid out the sewage pipes and electricity.

Seems like putting the water treatment at the far south and pumps at the far north doesn't change anything. The poo just piles up and keeps pushing north like the edge of the map is a wall.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 26, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Dam in between them (and probably 5 years ago by this point) would fix the problem until the inevitable shitnami.

Heh, here's a fun expirement for an alt save file. Turn off all your sewage plants for a couple weeks and your pop will drop to a couple hundred. Turn em back on and everything builds up again within a couple weeks. Complete city reset of disturbing proportions (and now your entire population will probably die simultaneously in about 60 years).

Oh, and your water flow will self-correct. Guess it's time to build a dam.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I've been working on a Napa valley-esque farmlands. It's only about 12k people, but is 90% low-density, dirt roads and 4-lane roads (I wanted to make a city using the worst possible roads). I laid out the streets similar to how they do in Napa. Farmland's surprisingly hard to make look "full".

Aerial:

Western district:

Eastern district:

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 27, 2015

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

DEO3 posted:

This is beautiful man. I love it when people hand craft small rural towns:

Those are excellent! Looks like real farmland. I'm gonna have to hit up the workshop for more park options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

DEO3 posted:

Third patch in under a month, I like the cut of these guys' jib.

Nothing really sexy in there, but it's nice to see a developer who can patch their game more then 1-2 times a year.

Word. The reason many companies don't patch more often is because it's dangerous as hell (especially for a fiddly simulation game such as this). Any change you make to the code on a game of this scope (even simple things) is going to have a ton of unexpected dependencies that aren't immediately obvious, then releasing it into the wild exposes all the things you accidentally broke. Thank the QA team for making it happen.

Unless of course there's tons of broken stuff.

Raskolnikov posted:

I want to break your mousing hand! That is seriously pretty and you should upload this to the workshop.

Thanks, I'll take your violent appreciation. Unfortunately I have so many random active mods, 99% of players probably can't open the save game.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 27, 2015