Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who sucks!

Counterpoint: Doctor Who is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

I think what the Pertwee era was trying to rectify, in hindsight, was that the show had lost its connection to anything the audience found familiar. You replace your regular contemporary companions like Ian and Barbara or Ben and Polly with people from far in the past or future. The Pertwee UNIT family is kind of an over-correction of that. But with how connected the modern Doctor is to real people through his companions (even going back to Seven in the classic series) I think that problem has basically been solved. At least for budgetary reasons as anything else the Doctor spends a bunch of time on Earth.

As I recall, it was mainly just an attempt at reining in the budget; by setting the whole thing on a modern(ish) Earth they could save money on sets. You might also be right, of course, but the stated reason has always been cost.

The Pertwee years did not actually scale down in cost, for the record. It was, if anything, even more expensive.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ewe2 posted:

Australians have inherited similar attitudes with accents, all the regionalism and class distinctions. I have an accent a bit similar to Clive James without the Gough Whitlam nasality, and I was mercilessly teased and ostracized for it in North Queensland where the accent is broad and my RP-like accent was alien and hoity-toity. What the hell is "Received" anyway? Received from who? They sound very punchable. I've always loved northern accents and Irish accents from both my ancestry and exactly the same class distinctions so I'm no better am I, like the Who fans were all yay Eccleston good honest Northerner eww that chav of a companion though...

I get poo poo for my accent, but that's because it's a weird Australian-British combo that I have no idea of the origins of; none of my family sound like it, and I didn't really watch British TV until Doctor Who came back so it can't be from there. I sound British to Australians, Australian to British, and British to everyone else, unless they know I'm Australian.

My accent is unpopular in every country.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

The dude from Casanova? Is the Doctor gonna start making out with his companions or something? :lau.... oh wait. v:shobon:v

Chip and Ironicus' podcast went on about Casanova for twenty minutes at one point, just recalling stories about the guy. Putting aside the constant sex, he was a really Doctor-esque figure. He basically led an entire life of those scenes where the Doctor barges in and pretends to be someone important until people listen to him.

What I'm saying is that I'm entirely unsurprised that they cast the guy that played Casanova as the Doctor, and it worked really well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

After The War posted:

I started Assassin in the Limelight today and realized I juuuuust missed hearing it on the 150th anniversary of the day it takes place :(

Also, the accents. Good God, the accents.

Now I'm wondering how packed your year would be if you tried to watch/hear every Doctor Who episode on the anniversary (or pre-niversary) of the event itself.

One thing's fro sure, your Christmas is gonna be loving busy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Astroman posted:

As someone who has like 40 or so Target books, I would pay cash money for those. Especially if someone did a Target writing style novelization of the modern episodes. (ie written by Terrance Dicks)

Also, it appears Stephen Moffat saved us from a lovely Hollywood Doctor Who movie:
http://io9.com/sony-really-wanted-to-make-that-doctor-who-movie-1698484644

Nice to know that the showrunners of a "mere" tv franchise have enough juice to put a wrench into film plans. That typically hasn't been the case in the entertainment industry in the past.

The split between BBC Worldwide and BBC Television over the status of movies and tv reminds me a lot of the Star Trek movie/tv rights being split between two studios, though I'm sure it's a bit different then that. It muddies the waters of having a coherent film and tv franchise with CBS and Paramount in the mix, and I'm sure it's no easier with Doctor Who since the two entities seem very separate.

But good on the Moff for keeping things coherent and planned. You may not like his plans, but at least he has them and has the best interests of the fans as his intentions. Reading some of the Sony stuff about Marvel is frustrating. It once again shows movie execs have zero clue or care about canon, fans, stories, characters, etc. It amazes me that the top people of an industry who have worked in it for decades can be so out of touch.

As I recall, the idea for the movies was that it was going to be a completely different canon, not unlike how they did the Cushing movies (only since Doctor Who is more defined now, presumably a lot more 'correct'). No casting was ever done, but with names like Daniel Radcliffe* being bandied around they at least seemed to understand that Who 'should' be British. It came around when the 50th was looming, so I feel like the talk about the movies probably informed Moffat's decision to do Day of the Doctor. Sort of a 'well, if they think there's potential in a movie, why not try' thing.

*Radcliffe was asked in an interview when that deal was still recent, he said he wouldn't be confident he'd do a good job because he considered the Doctor to be Matt Smith's role. I think he'd do a decent job, but it'd be weird to see Harry Potter as the Doctor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I really disliked that take, but it goes to show how much stronger it was leaving it unrevealed. For Smith, that really was the most horrible thing he could think for the Doctor, and each of us in turn had our own idea of what his fear might be, and all of us were free to project that until Moffat explicitly revealed it was the crack, which for me (and many others) fell flat because it simply didn't compare to what we had in our own heads.

I like the idea of what Smith described, although the way he did it was pretty lackluster. Although the concept's probably more fitting for Ten than Eleven, who seemed a fair bit less concerned with his own mortality.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
We're all being pointlessly obtuse about this, though, because we all know that what was really in the Doctor's room was Adric.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember everyone was impressed when it was announced that every main character on Torchwood (and this was in 2006, mind) would be open to relationships with both sexes. I didn't watch the series on its first broadcast but I can only imagine it was disappointing that it turned out to be a bit tacky on that feature.

I dropped off the Torchwood bandwagon pretty quickly (largely due to the network that got Torchwood here in Australia punting it later and later on Monday night; I wanted to watch more, but they didn't want me to) but I remember one of the early episodes doing remarkably well with it. It was the one with the energy succubus of some sort getting with Tosh, and as I recall that was actually very restrained. It wasn't gratuitous or tasteless, they didn't even call much attention to the fact it was a lesbian thing, and in fact it didn't even matter that it was.

I'm not going to check the evidence, because I don't want to know how wrong I am about this, but even at the time I remember appreciating the fact they were almost ambivalent about it. Of course, I'm not ruling out that I'm just blocking out the flaws of a piece of media that included two attractive lesbians that I saw when I was around fifteen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah the episode with the alien sex ghost wasn't at all tacky

Okay, I should say the lesbian part wasn't tacky. Or at least, no more tacky than the rest of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the story about the lesbian alien sex ghost was exactly as tasteless as it would have been if it were a straight alien sex ghost.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Trin Tragula posted:

There is one thing worse than just reading it - that Godawful ritual of making the class take turns to read the play out loud...

I went to an all-boys high school, and our English teacher made us do that with Romeo and Juliet.

I'm torn on whether that was a good idea, because giving a class full of teenage boys that script will actually make the comedic intentions of the play very clear.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Adapting to survive has been the Cyberman thing for 50 years or thereabouts, it's not like the Borg were that innovative

Yeah, it's kind of a tough point for the Cybermen. They were the Borg before the Borg were, and ideally a good Cyberman episode will probably also feel a lot like a good Borg episode of Star Trek. But since the Borg are more famous, especially in outright combat roles, it's the Cybermen who come off looking like the unoriginal ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BSam posted:

Nah I liked it.

What's wrong with you?

This is a genuine question. What brain malfunction causes Forest of the Night to be appealing?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MikeJF posted:

Oh, keep the tiger. But do it better.

Still think the episode would have had way more potential if they had the school trip be to the zoo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've only seen Shaun of the Dead, and even that only recently, but it was one of the most solid comedy movies I've seen.

I never really managed to watch Ghostbusters. As a kid I grew up with far more 'obvious' comedies (I don't think Ghostbusters is exactly subtle, but I was coming from a history of stand-up, Whose Line is it Anyway and Airplane), so I just didn't get that what I was watching was meant to be funny. I've never had the chance to go back to it either.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Thankfully, I seemed to dodge Watership Down. I was never a kid that would've appealed to anyway. My traumatizing childhood experience was the ruins of the Market in Ocarina of Time. I had a major fear of zombies at the time.

My family like telling a story I don't remember, though, about when we were watching an Australian film that had a scene of a kid my age at the time getting hit by a car. They were really prepared that I'd be shaken up about it and not want to keep watching, but they still let me watch. And when the moment came, I laughed my rear end off, because you can't film someone getting hit by a car in a way that isn't hilarious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jivjov posted:

I had the same thing. Put me off playing the game as a kid.

Yeah, I legitimately couldn't play the game for a long time after that. It didn't help that I wasn't able to stun the ReDeads, because the Sun's Song you could use to do that was... well, guarded by ReDeads, so I stayed far away from that place.

It took Majora's Mask to give me the courage to go back and beat it. Wearing the masks that made them dance did a lot to ease me to them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

thexerox123 posted:

They're working on it... there are going to be, uh, Kate Stewart audios... so that's a step in the right direction... I guess...

And Torchwood, as I recall! I imagine it'll take them a little while to really feel out what they can do (and what the BBC will let them do) with the revival, but it's a start.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Attitude Indicator posted:

wat? is that shia lebouf?

I could barely recognize him without him brandishing a knife with blood on his face.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Wow, Briggs really did stick to his word. First chance to take a crack at New-Who, and he's going right for the Judoon.

I can't imagine the Weeping Angels being very good in audio form, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Tennant's first is mostly just kind of average. You've got Love and Monsters and Fear her as terrible standouts, but there's just enough good in the other episodes to make up for them, if not much more than that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

vegetables posted:

Given that I'm not sure the market for non-franchised audio sci-fi exists, I'm not sure I have any objection to Doctor Who audios that aren't really Doctor Who. Indeed, the reason I find most of Big Finish's output this decade so uninspiring is because it's all, well, just a Doctor Who story, and one that's told repeatedly in a madlibs kind of way.

Doctor Who's also a pretty great platform for one-off sci-fi stuff, because it's very 'anything goes'. The fact that we're time travelling into a different setting for basically every story means there's no real limitations to what story you want to tell, just how you tell it (specifically, the Doctor's gotta bumble in somehow).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You can probably do the Weeping Angels in an audio now that I think about it, but it can't be 'just an Angels story'. Perhaps they can play with the time-throwing, making the story more about following the Angels' impact than the Angels themselves. That'd probably end up like if Blink focused on the Doctor, but we've always been external to their victims, we've never experienced what it's like to be caught by them beyond the fact that Old Person You is now in a bed somewhere in your native time.

There's also an idea that sounds a lot more terrible than it would actually be, setting the entire thing around controlling a video surveillance system. Yes, that would basically be Five Nights at Freddie's, but it's a form of tense horror that would work well for both the Angels and the audio format.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Astroman posted:

On that note, I'm also gonna throw it in there that BF will make The Shadow Proclamation actually as cool as it was talked up to be.

Briggs specifically pointed to the Judoon as the revival monster he most wanted to write into the audios. He's probably had Ideas on this one for a while.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Attitude Indicator posted:

so, how does that work? You buy the game, then hundreds of little knick-knacks to unlock stuff in the game? I'd consider getting the game, but not if i have to buy a lot of extra rubbish.

Yeah, it seems to be following the Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibos route.

I don't think we entirely know how the content works on that front; it might be that the levels themselves are all part of the game and you only have to buy the characters, or it might be that you need to buy the Doctor Who minifig to play through the Doctor Who stages and whatnot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jsor posted:

Do these go up online? Because I don't have TV.

Yep, Conan's Youtube channel puts up clips of every episode. And his website has full episodes, but I personally can't make the player work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Would this scientist look remarkably like Peter Cushing? Because I think he needs to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

That’s one of the reason I love Doctor Who so much. Each Doctor represents something great about humanity – Seven saying “the ends never justify the means,” Nine saying “coward, any day,” Eleven going “I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.” You’re right that Six is about doing good, being good, and it’s in the moments between the boasting and the bluster (I love the moments where Six admits he’s wrong with a quiet “oh…yes” or “mmmm, could be”) that really define him. I’m actually a bit afraid to get to Colin’s TV run because I only know him through Big Finish, but I just tell myself “no bad Doctors or companions, only bad writers and producers.”

I feel like, if you come at it from that direction, you can tell a lot about a person's character by the Doctor they relate to most. I feel like Eleven sits closest with me personally, although I've never properly considered it. Maybe I should sit down with exemplary stories from every Doctor and just feel out who I relate to most; ideas?

I've thought about this before, since it came up in some MMO roleplaying I do (because I'm a huge loving dork). One of my characters is a pretty broken girl who was comforted by stuff like Doctor Who during the darkest points in her life. When she jumped off the deep end and started on an utterly psychopathic plot, she was talked down when someone made her realize she wasn't the Doctor, in any incarnation; she was the sort of horrible villain the Doctor barges in on, makes a big dramatic speech at, and then does something ridiculous to kill off so he can go do the same thing next week. It took her a while to rebuild after that, but when she did she reinvented herself as sort of 'Seven by method, Eight by outlook'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I always consider it that over 2012-2013, we lost maybe two thirds of a season. Sure, we did strictly speaking only get two halves of one season over those two years, but the 50th anniversary stuff and Time of the Doctor has to count for something, right?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Forktoss posted:

Pierce Brosnan is David Tennant, Roger Moore is Peter Davison... and, uh... David Niven is... Peter Cushing?

I'm not sure I'd say Brosnan is Tennant. Tennant (and Eccleston since Nine and Ten have a lot of similar stuff going on) seems like he's probably generally the Daniel Craig territory; the darker and more serious revival that still 'gets it'.

Not sure who Brosnan is. McCoy, maybe? Generally pretty okay, but fondly remembered because of ancillary stuff. Or maybe I'm just getting caught up on the idea that the Goldeneye video game outshines pretty much all of the rest of Brosnan Bond when we look back at it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Astroman posted:

So BBC was showing a bunch of "old" eps and I caught the end of The End of Time.

Now I know I've probably said this before, and it means absolutely nothing because it's a total retcon, but...

When you watch 10's mauldlin drawn out regeneration, it totally, totally works if you see it as him experiencing what will be for him his Final Regeneration.

Yeah, :words: RTD didn't intend that, Moffat hadn't thought of any of his part of it yet (or had he? :smug: ) but as a retcon it really is an appropriate regeneration. In fact I'd go so far as to say if he hadn't acted a little emotional over his final regeneration, it would be disappointing.

Flame on. :colbert:

Credit to Moffat on this one, yeah, the whole 'Eleven's the last in the cycle' retcon could have only really worked with the specific groundwork Ten and Eleven put down. No other Doctor could've been retconned as 'the last' like Eleven, especially given Ten's groundwork.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

2house2fly posted:

People project an awful lot onto Capaldi's character because he makes rude comments and is socially incompetent. Throughout the series he shows a passion for learning and new experiences and multiple times has risked his life needlessly to save people, but he doesn't take a personal interest in people all the time and called a soldier a meat head, so people are turned off by him who weren't turned off by Ten condemning the family of blood to eternal living hells.

I still think it's a valid interpretation to read Twelve as mildly autistic. He's got that approach of caring but being unable/unwilling to express it, getting overfocused on something so much that he stops paying attention to other people and things, all that.

I know some autistic traits have often been part of the Doctor, but Twelve's got them especially heavily.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Barry Foster posted:

I've worked with quite a few autistic people, and while they're definitely way into their own thing and have a lot of trouble expressing emotion, they've always been gentle, earnest and studiously unaggressive. That isn't to say that that's the case for all autistic people; but it is to say that Twelve could have easily embodied those parts of the Doctor without cracking jokes about people's friends dying.

I can certainly see that, being autistic myself and having associated with a number of people who are (this might in fact be why I thought of it), but I'd say it's still sort of present. The less passive ones can be very much like Twelve, annoying and hurting people without necessarily realizing they are (and not wanting to, of course).

'Old pissed-off professor' is probably a more accurate perception of him, but I still quite like the autistic view of it, if only because it would mean there's a depiction of an autistic person in pop culture that's more positive than Sheldon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

Outright lying in job interviews is almost never a negative.

Sometimes I wonder how useful hiring in general actually is for this reason; the most successful person is probably going to be the one lying profusely, so rarely is the best person for the job actually going to get hired.

But then I realize that successfully lying to your boss is perhaps the most important job skill one could ever have, so it works out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Toxxupation posted:

reasonable claim, counterpoint:

The Doctor: "There's no such thing as an arboreal coincidence."

I dunno, I hate that episode for good reason, but at least that line says something in kind of a fun way. It's not aimless nonsense, or anyone trying to sound much smarter than they are.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's not likely that any of the plots from series 8 were a holdover from the Smith run, just judging by how relevant the series' overarcing plot was to all of them (you could maybe argue Robot of Sherwood, but that's about it). Tt's almost a definite that not all the writers were on the same page with what kind of Doctor they were writing for, though. It's a problem whenever there's a new Doctor, the DVD commentary for Tooth and Claw had the writer talking about how much he underestimated the challenge; his earlier drafts apparently sounded largely like Tom Baker scripts, with bits of Eccleston and McCoy mixed in. You think you know how to write a new Doctor, because he's still the Doctor, but at that point you don't really know. And the issue's exacerbated a bit with Capaldi, who's not really too close to the 'archetypal Doctor' most people would end up writing if they didn't know a specific Doctor's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly I've heard rumours (although I've no idea if they're true) that Smith was willing to stay on another series, but that he got fed up of the production breakdown so he decided to go try his luck in Hollywood (and then chose a part in Terminator Genisys, for some reason.)

It probably didn't seem like AS bad a role on paper. Sure, it's a small part, but Genisys was written with the intention of it being the start of at least a trilogy, and that Smith's part was built up to be some major villain, if not the primary antagonist of the overall series.

Scrub away all identifiers of Genisys, and look at it objectively. Signing on to a multi-movie deal that's part of a successful franchise, as a character that might be minor in the initial movie but would scale up to being a major figure in the later ones? Basically the only thing going against that paying off is that it's Terminator, perhaps the only sci-fi movie franchise with a worse track record than Alien. Sure, we knew it'd suck when we saw it materialize, but given the release period I'd assume that its pitch was being bandied around at the same time as Jurassic World and The Force Awakens; even if Genisys did look like the weakest of the three, it's not by much.

• Locked thread