Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

Is there an updated wiki somewhere?

If you click the community tab ingame it brings up the wiki, among other things.

You can get it out of game here: http://wiki.starruler2.com/Main_Page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I love that I can play as Star Children with Slipstream FTL. It's just so cool.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Reason posted:

In Quill18's Lets Try he says the game gets a little bit samey fairly quickly. Is that correct?

Once you get a grasp on the game you really need to play on multiple galaxy maps to get the most out of it. It feels like you're just one part of a huge cosmos with all that poo poo going on.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Armor-chat has me thinking, what determines where on a ships model damage occurs? I tend make my flagships with only armor on the front, with patches of it over critical areas on the sides so I can make them fast with oversized guns and support ships. If i get shot at from the side, what determines whether an armor segment gets hit or the exposed supply segment gets hit?

I think it's based on where on the model it's actually hit? You can overlay the model in the designer.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Bremen posted:

Now I'm tempted to try designing a size 1 support ship that's just a 1 hex wide vertical stick, to see if I could get all weapon impacts to destroy 1 hex and then pass through the ship.

Until you get shot from the front...

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Every now and then when you use a protoplanet you get the resource MICROCLINE. It infects any planet it touches and changes their resource to more MICROLINE.

MICROCLINE does nothing.

Transforming all their best resources to MICROCLINE is possibly the best way to cripple an enemy.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

My main complaint would be that I'm not sure what happens if I ignore diplomacy to concentrate on shootyships, but I bet it's bad. I like shootyships :(

You can basically ignore diplomacy if you really want BUT you should keep an eye on the popups from it, at least glancing at new proposals. Otherwise you will miss when an empire is trying to annex one of your planets or is trying to make other stuff happen to you.

So every now and then spend any Influence you have saved up on good cards to throw out as down votes when someone is messing with you. If you want to focus on combat you'll also want to play the Name Flagship cards.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Firgof posted:

The work on the research system upgrade continues.

I like it. Something like that is prefarable to the sort of wall of eye-glazingly-dense info it currently has. It's a lot easier to comprehend paths that way.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

More and more interesting mods are rolling out for this, which is a good sign.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

So I lost my first game pretty quickly, mostly because I didn't really have much idea what to do, but I think I've got that under control. My question is, how important is the ship building? Can I play okay with the defaults, and if not, can I just download a bunch to get me mostly covered. I'm not really interested with fiddling around much designing things.

You can usually hit random a few times and it comes up with workable ship designs which only need minor tweaking. Or just grab ships off the user created ships which you can do from ingame from the community tab, there are lots of good ones.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I usually come up with an internal story about my empire and why they do the things they do. It helps to have a bunch of portraits of varying styles to set the mood.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430173181

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

By the by, I love the concept of The Expanse galaxy. With a little tweaking of the game options it can actually be pretty difficult too, the big one is Remnant Aggression. Being the only empire means the pirates always come after you too, so it's not without conflict, you're just not racing vs other empires.

If competing with empires isn't your thing or you just aren't in the mood, I highly recommend trying that map.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 3, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have made spinal mount ships before and they work pretty well. It's a good idea to cover them in bulkheads. Also other mods as you unlock them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

JonBolds posted:

Gonna stream this in a bit, just after 3 eastern:
http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine

:getin:

Fun stream, I appreciate the depth you went into. Looking forward to seeing your review.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Let me try to think of some criticism.

The weakest point is the research screen but that is getting overhauled soon. It's not broken or unusable, just confusing at first.

The AI gets confused if you play with them on The Expanse map but that's kind of an alternate game mode and in my opinion is more fun to play it solo as a relaxing mode or multiplayer vs your friends than with AI so it's not a major bug in my opinion.

Other than that... uhh... Star Children can't live on ringworlds! More of a minor gameplay niggle, that.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The community designs could be organized a bit better. Maybe with tags you can assign to shared ships.

Also a lot of people seem to upload the default ships or duplicates by mistake.

e: Point is, the game lacks any glaring issues.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 6, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

JonBolds posted:

What difficulty are you playing at?

I've not had much trouble with Normal AI on small games, on a larger game it gets time to build up and fight you. And then it will wreck you because it understands the tech tree way better than you do. I have to stoop to blowing up planets to beat the larger empires :effort:

Anything which removes planets from the AI works as a way to cripple them. It cripples anyone really, even other players in MP but players tend to do the same things right back once you start doing it because now the gloves are off. Also I refer to it as "escalation" not "stooping". :v:

Other ways to do it:

Dragging away their planets over to your systems so they can't take them back without sieging all your system defenses.

MICROCLINE

Blowing up their stars.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Yay! :neckbeard:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

New research map is pretty great. I can tell at a glance where everything is and what way I want to go.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kaludan posted:

As an initial backer of the alpha of the game, Star Ruler 1, I'm ecstatic to see the game come this far.
That said I wish the original backers didn't have to revert to more back channel means to get their copy. Steam for some reason only let's me download the unfinished and abandoned original version.

Are you saying you want a free copy of all the sequels because you bought the first game? :psyduck:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

KlavoHunter posted:

You've already opened your mouth, why don't you let me know how wrong I am? :colbert:

The ships fly great as long as you don't try to set a new course before they finished the old one, then you can get those long sweeping motions from the first game with lots of overshooting.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

How's the AI in this game? Does it have to cheat? My two pet peeves for 4X's are flabby or cheatin' AI.

The AI does not cheat at all unless you choose the setting which specifically allows them to.

It can be pretty tough but that depends more on the situation in the cosmos than anything. The AI expands much better than any player possibly could keep up with without constant pausing but humans have the edge on long term strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Drones/fighters are exciting! Looking forward to it.

I felt like SR2 came out during a period where there was such a glut of similar games and it just didn't get the traction it deserved. It's sad to hear things didn't pick up but I hope the expansion helps.

• Locked thread