Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it a LN adaption starting Matsuoka Yoshitsugu as the head role? Yes.

Does it allow him to actually be funny on a regular basis unlike SAO? Yes.

Yeah, we're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm genuinely surprised at how much I'm enjoying just about every character except for Aiz (who's as flat as a board, narratively speaking) though I assume that's a temporary problem.

Hell, even the MC isn't that bad compared to his LN contrarieties. If nothing else, his outbursts tend to at least make narrative sense.

Though the Mythological Pantheon make this show; Ganesha's a bro, Hestia's a lovable spaz who's outlandish dress sense has started some odd nonsense and Loki's...well...Loki and it's all just fun and I enjoy being in their company.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 21, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Here's a good thing about this show: the ribbon that the shortstack goddess wears is starting to become a fashion trend in some places, because it pushes your boobs up and makes them look bigger when you raise your arms.

Oh, is that the logic?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

The title of the chapter there is roughly "I gave it a try, but it didn't do anything"
Yeah. That's Hayate the Combat Butler to a T.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So has Purm been explained as a race and I missed it or?

pnumoman posted:

In the anime, defeated monsters disappear, leaving behind the crystal. In the manga and ln, defeated monsters just lay there, and you have to hack out the crystal. So the support hacks those things out for the adventurer, in addition to moving corpses out of the way so they don't slip on monster guts or something.
I assume that monster in the wall didn't immediately get dusted on strike to make that scene work as it did in the book

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Yo don't be hating on Shortstack. She's fun and brings a lot of energy to the show. Also "a lot less dumb harem antics" is kind of the opposite of what actually happened in this episode.

Anyway, Bell's armor looks cool, but the green bracer clashes pretty badly. I hope that's a sign that he'll be in the classic MMO clown suit by the end of the show.

Will anything beat Kirito's +9 Spurs of The Speed Force in the MMO Clown Suit in Anime pantheon?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 25, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Now the bears.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hadaka Apron posted:

Well, there are officially licensed Danmachi bedsheets coming out, and they're not what I expected...

Wouldn't have pegged this show to have a female draw.

Then again maybe all it takes is to have characters that are fun to be around to have that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Then again who can resist the charm of Ganesha?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know, a AMV skit where all of Geneshia's lines are Homer in the Elephant Head costume was something I wasn't aware I wanted but now I really want it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That scene where Bell is learning firebolt was well done and the aftermath was a riot!

Yoshitsugu Matsuoka is best when he has a range to work with that isn't stuck between Shonen protag and self same but moody as he is with Kirito.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Valsu posted:

I liked that bit the most in this episode. I was wondering is he was going to run out of mana after spamming that. I think the outcome makes perfect sense since the world isn't an MMO.

I was meaning the sorta inner dialogue bit where he actually owns up to being childish about what he wants out of being an adventurer.

But him keeling over as a result of it was great too. One of the best reactions of the season and given Shougeki that's saying something.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

They kind of changed up that conversation Bell had with the swordsmen at the end in a weird way. There was a lot more emphasis on the "supporters are trash and we should just take their earnings" while the "dude do you even know you're being tricked?" bit was shranken down to some oddly phrased dialogue.

I feel like whenever they get to the end of an episode they just try to accelerate forward as much as they can, even if it means cutting out a ton of stuff. It's a weird choice.
I haven't read that part yet but if the dood is going into how Supporters are trash to start with Bell's probably not going to be interested in the second part.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the thing is he was supposed to start with the second thing, and then segue into a rant on supporters.
I see. Eh, unless it starts getting to Sailor Moon Crystal levels of compression I can't see it being a massive issue.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

Coz ur a gurl! :3:

So romantic.

I'm probably reading too much into things but I read that as him defaulting to a go-to answer rather than saying what he actually thought ie: He knew Lili did those things (with the forest incident confirming it) but understands (or could hazard a guess at least) why so he's not going to hold it against her. because he thought it would play better to someone who is in emotional distress.

An extension of the last episodes little "I am a shadow, the true self" bit. Showing Bell maturing whilst keeping a level of naivety. If you will.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

He's so unrealistically good hearted that everyone falling for him is the way more plausible part.

Somebody mentioned that they didn't think this show had much appeal to women, but I feel like every few episodes has a scene where Hestia has Bell's shirt pulled up and having an inner monologue about how he's so strong and developing so fast. I'm sorry, but that's red meat to the bishounen shipping crowd.
Certainly was after the slapping she was giving it when she got frustrated over his passive.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New comic Loki confuses me and yet somehow slays me every time I see him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

This show stops being fun and cute when you have a little girl character being repeatedly kicked in the face by grown men and the only thing that can save her is the MC's pure Nice Guy powers.
And his knife, his passive and his skills that he earned though self introspection.

But mostly his "Nice Guy powers" :rolleyes:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

All his Nice Guy powers did was let a damaged person trust again.

Is that so bad?

No?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zwingley posted:

Have they done anything particularly poorly thus far?

Wasn't there some rumblings about how they gaffed the bit with Bell and that Dood who Lili stole off?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zernach posted:

God dammit this show, one moment it's gratuitous violence with cool fight scenes, the next it's slapstick humour that actually gets a laugh out of me and the whole time the fanservice tries it's best to ruin it for me. In the latest episode, I almost hoped that when Lili went "Huh?" when Hestia was once again doing the whole "This is my man, hands off" routine, that Lili was going to just nod along to the crazy lady. But nope, disrobe and jump into the :bandwagon:

My curiosity compels me to see if/when the fanservice will overcome all the brutal fighting that keeps me interested in the show.
Eh, unless Fraya goes way too far in her stuff I don't think that will be an issue.

Honestly as long as the ratio is one bit of fanservice per two to three bits of Action und Comedy then It'll be fine.

As a side, can I say how nice it is to see the subs on CR get a little creative now and then? We got it when Hestia taunted Loki and we got it again when Hestia and Lili started emphasising "My" in their little spat.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Man, Hestia had some great facial expressions in this episode.
Deely bobbers are the international road sign for silliness.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good freaking grief. Someone's gonna have to break out "Rap is a man's soul" for the second time this season cause that was some Simon level testicular fortitude. :vince:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've got money down on Syr being a 'part' of Freya but gained of enough sentience to rebel once we reach endgame.

Like Tenchi in Tokyo only in a better show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus wasn't that a patched together Minotaur that nearly nix'ed him at the start?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Didn't Vol. 1 come out already?

Edit: Little Rookie sounds like something you'd name a puppy.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 30, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But isn't the whole thing about Leveling Up sort of geared against the Nat 20 Attack being useful as a narative progression?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Plus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qQT3-A8Cc is downright transcendent.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

HellCopter posted:

It's not often that milquetoast protagonists actually get called out on that line. I certainly appreciated it.

I just like that it's played off as if that's not what he's actually thinking ether that it's better to give her the stock answer than the real one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So am I reading Freya right in that she's getting off on Bell's progress?

Also I'm kinda sad it took 2/3rds of the season for the party to form. They are just so delightful to see bounce off each other.

Edit: Hestia and Hermes going in with glasses and a metool hat. :allears:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 12, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

The metool hat is actually the standard japanese construction worker safety hat! :eng101:

I totaly know that. It's just funnier to call it a metool hat.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

What race is Lili actually? I can't tell if her cat ears are actually a lovely disguise or if them being hidden is the disguise.

She's a Pallum (hobbit, basically). The ears are a disguise to keep Souma Famila fooled into thinking she is dead.

I imagine this works because they're ether too drunk or suffering from withdrawal symptoms to think stright.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

You're just saying that because at pretty much any time she could have told Bell that she's DTF, which would solved a very large number of her problems. Particularly if she had done this well before Episode 1 when he found some other girl. Its not like this was ambiguous even in flashbacks to stuff well before Episode 1, she's just a big fucken wuss for no real reason despite being a literal deity.

You're talking about the same person who didn't trust Bell not to run face first into The Dungeon if she told him about his Gain passive (not that he didn't do that anyway). Her being courageous is well out of the question.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Doesn't that make him the son of Hercules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Myurton posted:

Yes they are licenced, but only rather recently. So it'll be months maybe even a year before they catch up to where we are in the story. And don't even bother with the fan translations cause we blew way past what they have translated in the last few episodes.

Volume 2 was march iirc.

• Locked thread