Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
VC1 was pretty lighthearted for a WWII story, but I don't think it was significantly sillier than other "anime goes to war" type franchises like Fire Emblem. The tone was definitely never outright farcical, a goal that this game unfortunately seems to have made a beeline for.

It's sad because in the right hands, there's some interesting things that can be done by mixing genre schlock and more serious depictions of WWII, Inglorious Basterds came out around the time of VC1 and managed it masterfully.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I dunno, I find the concept of "sadsack whose completely unjustified negative outlook is holding him back" more original and fun than most of the single-trait characters we've seen so far, eg "weird ninja girl" and "slutty girl" and "nerd who doesn't understand emotions" etc.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
By the end of the first game Gallia had 1 active anime-nuke-girl and the empire had 0, which seems like a pretty strong position to bargain from.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm not exactly well versed in anime, but there is no way Alexis here isn't a lady. I'm guessing there are people who can point out the obvious signs, but the extremely dedicated personality is already taken by Reiner, there's got to be something else here. Now I'm really curious how terrible "his" voice clips are.

God I hope I'm way, way off on this.

As if we needed more evidence of how paint-by-numbers this game is, we had multiple people who'd never played this calling the Alexis twist basically as soon as she showed up. (Although listening to the voice clips now, they did do a fair job of making her sound believably androgynous).

Not to derail the thread too too much, but is there some reason as to why you are dropping youtube links in every post you make? Doesn't seem to be limited to this thread or this forum.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I like the note on Erik to the effect of "we got some designs for a legitimate soldier in a real army, because not everyone was caught up on the fact that this was actually a high school game".

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Night10194 posted:

Alright, what the gently caress is an Idol and what the hell was the point of any of that?

I can answer one of these two questions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_idol

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Tae posted:

That's just one of 3 generic student heads, although in this case it might be literally that specific head's body.

This artbook has some dumber stuff than you think.

I can at least marginally respect this for being equal-opportunity skeeviness.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I might be developing stockholm syndrome for this game's writing but I found the play scene really funny. Particularly the notion that a bunch of high-schoolers (and potentially sometimes adults, if class G is representative) are expected to anually put on on some twisted, militarized version of a children's nativity play. And that this intended as some sort of great honor for winning the tournament.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 2, 2015

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

cdyoung posted:

Really. Really? Really?! gently caress's sake you people, grow the hell up.

They don't actually wish harm or death on artists, compaining about this stuff in a hyperbolic fashion is just a method of social signaling / bonding that we're engaging in itt :eng101:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Clarste posted:

"My test subject is corrupted by the idea of wanting to do something other than blow people up, an eventuality I already knew might happen and did nothing whatsoever to prevent. If only everyone else could appreciate my genius."

Yeah, between this scene and the one where she shows she doesn't understand how flowering plants reproduce, I'm not entirely sure she's a real scientist, and not just a bitchy lady in a labcoat.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

SSNeoman posted:

Goddamn look at how loving :smug: smug :smug: she is.

And of course she was supposed to be a miko. Of course.

I find it really morbidly funny how persistently they imply in the art books that a good chunk of the development team kept forgetting that the setting they were writing for wasn't actually literally a contemporary japanese high school.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Monkey Fracas posted:

If all of the characters were just weird non-sequiturs like a butler out of nowhere this probably would have been a more interesting game.

Yeah, "Ronin butler training for the butler championship" definitely falls on the "so dumb and absurd it's cute" side of the line that this game has been wiggling all over since the start. You can't go small dumb like "mean hot girl", you have to go BIG dumb.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I wonder if there's gonna be any fallout from the fact that Aliasse straight up killed Avan's brother, knowing who he was, or if they're just gonna sail right past that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Haha yeah I also did a big double take at the "not a bad guy per se" being used to describe mecha-hitler.

Also yeah, really enjoyed this LP, I liked the first game but would probably never have had the patience to grind my way through this one.

• Locked thread