Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ScreamingLlama posted:

I didn't say it was their worst gently caress up, it was just the first one that came to mind.

I wouldn't go searching for something "worse" as your never going to find it because I think you're looking for the wrong example.

People are dining out on the reaction, the complete party implosion more than anything else. It's an interesting test for any party. At some point you need to let those you voted to lead negotiate rather than just be obstructionist as your base is much broader than your membership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's curtains for Curtin.

I'm not going to be drawn into this.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

I'm a Greens member, mystery avatar buyer. You done hosed up.
No, I don't think they have.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

GoldStandardConure posted:

The same organization also sells shirts at music festivals that fascists and neonazis rock up to, with right wing/neo-nazi slogans and logos on them (Thors hammer and all that poo poo), except when you wash the shirt the logo fades and contact details for the reform organization are on the shirt.
No, I suspect we'll just have the rabid mob trying to deny others the right of free assembly (I have no idea who's protesting about what by the way).

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

A second ALP MP in Queensland has had Domestic violence claims pushed on him with a former partner claiming she got beaten by a leather belt regularly.

I've never seen Springborg so happy. It's up on Brisbane Times.
Sadly why do I not find this surprising.

There's no excuse for this poo poo.

Unfortunately we're going to go from the verified track record cases to the murky world of "he said, she said".

Sorry Queensland, you're a long way from being out of the woods.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SadisTech posted:

I voted for the Democrats back in the day because Natasha Stott Despoja wore Docs.

That was pretty much my entire thought process on it at the time
You probably put more thought into your vote than most.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Glass houses and all that
Yes, being smug in any way could only be classed as a high-risk manoeuvre.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

katlington posted:

*bong falls and shatters in slow motion*

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Joyce smoked weed once, years later he is still high from that very same hit. Soon he will the the Federal Leader of The Nationals.
Hey, hey. You mean Deputy Prime Minister of Australia.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

cpaf posted:

Because there aren't any LNP or ALP faithful here left except for Graic and this screamingllama dude talks a lot of horseshit. Also because the democrats similarly talked a lot of big talk throughout history and ultimately hosed over everyday Australians anyway
That's a loving bleak outlook if your relying on me as your counterpoint.

I usually only post when I'm in meetings or half in the bag.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

cpaf posted:

Or if you feel in the mood for reading a long list of shouty reasons to kill yourself or explanations of why you should be dead and other similarly calm and coherent political assertions
After the initial shock turned into hilarity I gotta say it's shaping up to be one of the best ten bucks I ever spent.

I will also claim it as a tax deduction which is even better as it only enrage someone here no doubt.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

The Democrats are fine, I mean my new job just finished a poll in FNQ and in comparison to people up there saying they should legalize hunting aboriginals after hearing about Billy Gordon.
Any strong feelings on the bag limit?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hiddenmovement posted:

I pretty much only come in here in the hope that Cartoon or Quantum Mechanic make a decent post about a real topic. April 1st has thus far been a dissapointment
It's been a slow news day to be honest.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I, Butthole posted:

Basically this, you shitheads will post at Ratbag Craig over and over again with the misguided notion that if you enter into a debate with a known troll you *might * just get him to ~chaaaaaaaaange~ and then roll around at your own jokes about any notion of "change from within" and the guy who's trying to introduce another, pretty-less-poo poo option compared to most minor parties that they're irrelevant and gently caress off thanks.

even if it's some form of meta-post-irony you guys are real loving stupid
I find it amusing that because I don't agree with, well everyone else here on a couple of things you somehow become a "troll".

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SynthOrange posted:

So it looks like someone is burning down churches connected to pedophiles.

Good.
Glad you are happy.

Shame if you were in no way responsible for such a terrible crime. Like for instance being a building.

Maybe we should start machine gunning asylum seeker boats because they are connected to people smuggling.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Laserface posted:

I feel like that is pretty well taken care of at this point and resources could be mroe efficiently utilised on other religions.
Like those loving Buddhists?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ScreamingLlama posted:

we have actual economic policies as opposed to the Greens just belching out clouds of weed smoke like the factories they profess to hate
So what's your policy on taxing the gently caress out of me?

I also tried to read your immigration policy but got a 404.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Freudian Slip posted:

The Greens have the most sensible policies I have seen so far that actually addresses the rort that is our super system. Props to QM and the others who worked on it.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/greens-offer-tony-abbott-a-13-billion-budget-saving-20150226-13oucn.html

It preserves our progressive taxation system while still encouraging people to save for their retirement
I just need you to explain to me how I won't be paying more tax under that proposal.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Freudian Slip posted:

If you earn less than $37,000 you are paying less tax

If you earn between $37,000 and $80,000 (which includes most Australian workers) you are paying the same tax as currently

If you earn over $80,000 it's going to cost you more - but you will be still getting far more out of the tax shelter that is super than someone earning less than you.

To put it simply, they are changing the system so that it is equivalent to you paying your normal tax rate and the Government giving you 15 cents for every dollar you put into super - now matter how much you put in or earn. This is different from the current situation where you are penalised 15 cents per dollar if your earn under 16K and gifted 30 cents on the dollar if you earn over 180K.
Interesting, but anyone over $80K is worse off you say? That's still a lot of punters.

Freudian Slip posted:

True, but lets be honest, people earning 300K + have access to better rorts than Super
To be honest although it may seem obscene to you most people making that kind of coin don't just turn up. A lot of those "rorts" are poo poo you need to set up and maintain for that earning capacity.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

NTRabbit posted:

So SHY then?
To be honest I don't feel SHY is an asset to your team.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Freudian Slip posted:

True - but I think it could be sold on fairness given the basic argument I made. Do you believe the current system is fairer?
I'm torn. I know logically that the system is not as good as it could be but I also believe that the current system encourages people to put enough into super so they will never be dependant on future tax payers.

On a more basic level (and again another that people may find abhorrent) after you pay more in tax than many people earn for many years and you see so many lazy fucks living off the public teat you start to think - yeah, I've paid enough tax so you are happy to take advantage of it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Fruity Gordo posted:

Ciarg psychopathic post, I'm gonna get into a two page argument with him about this awful post stay tuned
I'm just letting you know I only work in bullet points after a few dinner beers.

So you probably don't need the two pages.

Should I get my accountant on the line? He can probably answer questions about my financial affairs better then I.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

Please provide evidence of all these so called lazy fucks. Because I'm pretty sure there was a review into welfare fraud that suggests you're talking out your arse.
You obviously have never met half of my relatives.

As the ironically named "Endman" feel free the pick your way through what comes out of my arse.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We give away as much in super deductions (overwhelmingly to high-income earners) as we spend on the pension.

If we eliminated super deductions entirely we could easily handle the (approximately zero) high-income earners who would become dependent on the pension.
And I'd never be dependant on the pension under the current arrangements as well.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gough Suppressant posted:

I agree that we should crack down on welfare cheats, turn the rich old fucks still drawing the full pension into nutritious gruel.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

What's the other????

I thought it was only two of three.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Goddamnit QLD.
You're allowed to kill dogs though right?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Exactly, we're forgoing tens of billions of dollars of revenue to encourage people to do something they were already going to do.

A pretty similar argument applies for private school funding too.
And many will be worse off - which is pretty much my original question on this whole thing. What was it 20% of people will be worse off? Doesn't sound like a compelling argument to me.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birdstrike posted:

Please oh wise one explain to me the super secret techniques that those pyramid-building fat cats don't want you to know about! :allears:
Get a decent accountant and the secrets of taxation law will be revealed - you loving try hard.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

I'm not sure on the legality of it but anyone who mass kills Greyhounds because they're "Not Fast Enough" is a loving cold blooded rear end in a top hat.

As you may know, I love dogs.
I agree it's abhorrent, but while anyone can take "Old Yeller" out to the back paddock and give him a .22 behind the ear hole legally it's just a whole lot of jumping up and down really isn't it?

If they want to get serious they would just ban loving dog racing than all this manufactured outrage.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birdstrike posted:

You stuck your head out of your shoebox of receipts to say that? Haha you dunce.

For the benefit of the rest of you poors here are some of the actual secrets those fatcats don't want you to know:

- Put your money into mass marketed agricultural schemes like Great Southern, Timbercorp or any other MIS for products like... almonds. Want to help Anidav tale his nut milk to the world? This way you'll get your deductions up front and your income in 5 years. Win-win baby!

- Want mad deductions bro? Don't pay your tax to rack up fully deductible General Interest Charge.

- Being a large business will make the ATO go soft on you: http://m.smh.com.au/business/ali-noroozi-report-points-to-perception-of-ato-favouritism-for-top-end-of-town-20150303-13sqa7.html

- Australia has no death duties or estate taxes. Take full advantage of this loophole by killing you are self.
As you seem completely flush with your own advice I say go with it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They will be worse off. They will still be the richest 20% of the population and they'll still have a comfortable retirement.
People don't want to be worse off. I don't want to be worse off. Let's find 3 odd billion of expenditure cuts instead.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sure, but you're a fuckwit so who gives a poo poo what you find compelling?
Hah, that was my first genuine laugh of the night - well done. Actually though, I think the major parties are often interested in what that 20% finds compelling.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It's April and you goddamn morons are still replying to a guy whose position is essentially "Why should the ultra wealthy, who derive their wealth from exploitation of a financial and social system that others have created and funded, be obliged to also support that system to even the smallest degree? Why can't the ultra wealthy, whose ranks I aspire to join, just rape and pillage the whole earth?"
That my friend is a crock of poo poo.

I am happy to pay tax. I am happy to pay more tax than most will ever pay as I'm loving lucky in the scale of things, I accept that many people around me need my help and contributing to society makes my world a safer and fairer one.

However, if you think I will happily accept a default position that I should just keep paying more and more tax as some kind or penalty before the Government evidences they are managing the money they get as well as I would expect them to then basically gently caress that.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'd be interested in seeing more of how you live since you apparently have also never bought a car or a phone or a computer or clothes given that we still have not yet reached the optimal 0% wastage 0% inefficiency margin on those products either, and you are clearly an ideological True Faith Warrior that would never back down or accept anything less than perfection.

So how do you handle personal hygiene? I just pay some idiot company to provide me with gas that I can use to heat some water and force it at speed through a bunch of holes in a metal pipe towards my naked, flabby body. I understand that is not an optimal solution by any means but I'm not a True Faith Warrior and I have lowered myself to the compromise. It's a sign of weakness to accept that sometimes if you want to operate in the real world you have to make compromises and go after the best possible practicable solution. I applaud your ability to reject anything less than utter perfection in every facet of your life, and would love to hear more about this magical wonderful fairytale land you inhabit.
I got about half way through that poo poo and trust me, I'm not going to bother.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Who the gently caress puts down their dog in a paddock in 2015?
Don't visit the country.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

What is your source of information for the Government's management of money? Are you an economist? Are you able to critically assess, evaluate and understand budgets of that size? What exactly is "fiscally responsible"? Do you even understand the phrase or are you just mouthing words you've read in the paper?
30% of our budget expenditure goes towards welfare. Feel free. Tax me as much as you want. You'll be back here in five years bitching about how the rich aren't paying enough tax and a third of our budget will still be going towards welfare.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Konomex posted:

Here's a tip, if you're having money trouble, stop getting drunk every single day. You said you only post when you're drunk, so you must be sloshed a lot.
Money trouble is something that poor people have. I might get drunk at lunch but it's generally over by the time I settle in for the night.

It's more of a long lunchtime dining off the sweat of the workers kind of thing.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

The vast majority of that 30% is the pension though isn't it?
If only they had of been able to put more into super.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Welfare is not a waste of money. Consider it an investment in avoiding the guillotine.
Well considering how many on welfare are claiming disability then I think most would take their chances that avoiding that investment is safe as pulling hard on a rope to raise the blade would be something people won't dare do in this age of phone cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

The panel were satisfied that the importer, compounding chemist, and sports scientist all acted with the intent to import, compound and inject a prohibited substance to the players, but were not comfortably satisfied that they actually succeeded in doing so due to none of them testing the substance to ascertain it actually was the substance they ordered, recording results of said test, and volunteering results of said test to the investigation.

Essendon's entire defence rested on "we have no idea what we injected into our players so you can't prove it was prohibited".

Hopefully they get taken to the cleaners by work cover claims.
Some scary insight into what people will unquestioningly submit themselves to in the pursuit of winning.

If my employer said, "Hey mate just going jab you with this unidentified poo poo to make you perform your best in the office. Only be a tick."

I don't think I'd be saying yes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...v-1227289779367

quote:

WORKSAFE Victoria is closing in on Essendon and the AFL over the club’s “pharmacologically experimental” supplements program.

The authority is seeking to interview the 34 past and present Essendon players cleared of doping by an AFL tribunal on Tuesday.

Letters inviting the players to meet with WorkSafe investigators were distributed this week.

The workplace authority is conducting separate investigations into Essendon and the AFL over the Bombers’ 2012 drugs regimen.

Player agents were made aware of the interview requests by the AFL Players’ Association.

• Locked thread