Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Crowsbeak posted:

Is hat some protege of Bill Krystal?
He's weird, I can't really categorize him but if you made me I would say he's an even-dumber Stanley Fish.
http://quigleyblog.blogspot.com/
http://conservatives4palin.com/tag/bernie-quigley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Stultus Maximus posted:

The tendency for cops to shoot black people if they have anything that even resembles a gun because "they felt threatened"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_John_Crawford_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Tamir_Rice

Yeah, money isn't the problem. Any situation where it's okay for a white person to have or use a gun will get a black person arrested and/or killed. Just go find the numbers on when black people try to use the stand your ground defense. They get denied it's use like 99% of the time (also the same for women oddly, only white men can stand their ground)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gun rights are pretty win-win for white people that are terrified of minorities. They get to have access to tons of weapons they will probably never use for self preservation and the perception of an incredibly well armed society allows police to have the benefit of the doubt that every unarmed black person they shoot was holding a gun.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Gun rights are pretty win-win for white people that are terrified of minorities. They get to have access to tons of weapons they will probably never use for self preservation and the perception of an incredibly well armed society allows police to have the benefit of the doubt that every unarmed black person they shoot was holding a gun.

And in the other direction, Gun control lets whites restrict them to people of "good character" which can easily exclude minorities.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Japan paid reparations, or at least large amounts of economic aid and low interest loans even if not marked specifically as reparations, to Red China as well as Taiwan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Japan_relations#1960s

Abe sucks, yeah, but lots of people seem to have a hair-trigger reflex of calling Japan a nation of revisionist war criminal Nazis basically any time the country is mentioned. I think basically every single East Asian country would be considered ultranationalist by most people's standards, Japan is probably the least bad of them, or at least is no worse than the others. From what I can tell the country is pretty racist but actually fairly non-nationalistic, even in TYOOL 2015 after years of lurching to the right a dude lit himself on fire in front of parliament to protest the proposed constitution change

Not Japanese and I don't study Japan or whatever, but I've done some reading on textbook and newspaper studies on remembrance of WW2. It's been a fairly big issue internally in Japan afaik and there's significant pressure to defend the actions of Japan in WW2. It's apparently a pretty partisan issue. Their reasoning for defending WW2 Japan is usually along the lines of the main international narrative being victor's justice and children are being taught to be ashamed of their country which is bad.

Japan hasn't really been A Team Player regarding their history and WW2, and they deserve to get poo poo for it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Besides disposable income, are there institutional/systemic barriers to African-Americans arming themselves with guns right now?

In addition to the criminal record restrictions others have mentioned, urban areas with large black populations are disproportionately likely to have stricter gun laws than surrounding white suburbs. Additionally, a number of states still have "may-issue" laws for handguns, where the government, usually the county sheriff's office, I think, has to decide whether the applicant really ought to have it. Guess what's still a factor in whether your application is going to be denied?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

The mushroom cloud creating a hammer and sickle in the clouds is a nice touch.

the statue of liberty: noted landmark of the southwest

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Riptor posted:

the statue of liberty: noted landmark of the southwest

In the fabled words of forums poster Meg from Family Guy, they're not wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Yeah, money isn't the problem. Any situation where it's okay for a white person to have or use a gun will get a black person arrested and/or killed. Just go find the numbers on when black people try to use the stand your ground defense. They get denied it's use like 99% of the time (also the same for women oddly, only white men can stand their ground)

Thankfully we finally released from jail the woman who fired a warning shot and was facing 20 to 60 years in prison for it. Because only white people are allowed to fire guns even close to black people freely.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

What the gently caress?

Hey Jeb, uh...don't listen to this guy.

You did it. You finally found someone more wrong on a political topic than Dick Morris.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

Thankfully we finally released from jail the woman who fired a warning shot and was facing 20 to 60 years in prison for it. Because only white people are allowed to fire guns even close to black people freely.

Associated Press posted:

The jury at her first trial found her guilty after deliberating for 12 minutes.

That seems...suspiciously quick.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Besides disposable income, are there institutional/systemic barriers to African-Americans arming themselves with guns right now?

A group of angry black people protesting and carrying guns? There'd be a full on military deployment and any shots fired will immediately be blamed on them by every single news outlet because those urban ferals can't be trusted with guns. Especially if cops fired unprovoked on the crowd and the gunned them down in self defense.

Rexicon1 posted:

Why would Obama nuke New York?

The NYPD is pretty corrupt.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

The mushroom cloud creating a hammer and sickle in the clouds is a nice touch.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, but the U.S. System dates from 1789. Reconstruction was a big deal, but it was achieved via processes and legal foundations that were already present in the 1789 constitution. There's a very, very solid case that Lincoln and Johnson at times operated outside the law, but they are generally given a pass since they were in the process of putting down a well organized, massive, violent failed rebellion against the legitimate law of the land.

Hell no it wasn't, the Reconstruction Amendments redefined the franchise, were passed by militarily occupying the dissenting part of the country, ejecting them from the legislature and mandating by force of arms that they agree to them in order to be restored to congress.

It was absolutely justified and the right thing to do, but it's exactly the sort of thing we call a revolution when other countries do it and then try pretend it wasn't when we did it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
SOooooooo, here's some maybe not terrible news, but it might be fun if republicans pounce on it.

UK tells UN of Iranian attempts to buy nuclear technology - report posted:

Britain has informed the United Nations Iranian of attempts a year ago to buy uranium enrichment technology on the black market, it was reported on Thursday.

Such procurement efforts would, if confirmed, represent a violation of UN security council resolutions placing Iran under sanctions, but analysts said they were unlikely to derail a comprehensive nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers.

Under the agreement, due to be completed by 30 June, Iran would accept strict limits on its nuclear programme, particularly on uranium enrichment, in return for sanctions relief.

In an annual report, obtained by the Reuters news agency, a UN panel of experts responsible for monitoring compliance with the sanctions regime, revealed: “The UK government informed the panel on 20 April 2015 that it ‘is aware of an active Iranian nuclear procurement network which has been associated with Iran’s Centrifuge Technology Company (TESA) and Kalay Electric Company (KEC).’”

KEC is under security council sanctions while TESA is under American and European Union sanctions because of their suspected involvement in developing centrifuges for a uranium enrichment programme banned by the UN.

The UN panel said the British report was too recent to have been assessed independently.

A UK foreign office spokeswoman would not comment on the UN report, but said: “We are committed to negotiating a comprehensive nuclear deal with Iran. However, all UN sanctions on Iran remain in force. Until there is a new UN Security Council Resolution that changes this, all UN member states have a responsibility to enforce these sanctions, including through investigation of possible breaches.”

Mark Fitzpatrick, an expert on nuclear proliferation at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, said the revelation did not represent a direct threat to the outcome of the nuclear negotiations between Iran and a six-nation group comprising the US, UK, France, Germany, Russia and China.

“It’s no surprise that Iran has continued procurement efforts for its nuclear programme. The Iranian leadership freely admits it,” Fitzpatrick said. “But this has little bearing on Iran’s trustworthiness to abide by a deal that limits its programme. It would feel an obligation to abide by limits to which it agrees, as opposed to UN security council resolutions which it argues were unjustly imposed on it.”

According to the broad parameters of the nuclear deal provisionally agreed in Lausanne on 2 April, Iran would accept a 70% cut in its uranium enrichment capacity, and a reduction in its stockpile of low-enriched uranium of up to 97%, in return for the lifting of sanctions. The exact sequence of reciprocal steps is one of the main issues that have to be resolved before the deadline.

In New York on Wednesday, the Iranian foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, signalled some flexibility over the sequence, saying Tehran would be prepared to wait a few weeks for the lifting of sanctions to allow for verification of self-imposed curbs on its nuclear programme.

“The key implication of this news is that it shows the need for new rules to regulate Iranian nuclear procurement consistent with the limits in the forthcoming comprehensive agreement,” Fitzpatrick said. “A replacement Security Council resolution will need to keep limits on procurement and to establish a tight monitoring mechanism.”

Edit: okay I'm an idiot and forgot this. This is from the Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/30/uk-tells-un-of-iranian-attempts-to-buy-nuclear-technology-report

Dancer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 30, 2015

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In the fabled words of forums poster Meg from Family Guy, they're not wrong.

Obama pls nuke Vegas so we can live out our Fallout fantasies

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

UberJew posted:

Hell no it wasn't, the Reconstruction Amendments redefined the franchise, were passed by militarily occupying the dissenting part of the country, ejecting them from the legislature and mandating by force of arms that they agree to them in order to be restored to congress.

It was absolutely justified and the right thing to do, but it's exactly the sort of thing we call a revolution when other countries do it and then try pretend it wasn't when we did it.

Ah yes, the Rebels: widely not considered to be attempting a revolution, or indeed rebelling at all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I went to the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum the other month and it was definitely weird for one of the WW2 timelines to basically be:

War breaks out Dec 7 1941 -> A great naval battle occurred off Midway June 5 1942 -> The US nukes Hiroshima Aug 6 1945

And the other timeline wasn't in English at all so who knows what they wrote on it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't that a picture from World in Conflict?

Called it!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chamale posted:

States are allowed to form state defence forces. Texas is one of 23 states that does.

Texas also generously allowed the President to borrow elements of the State Guard during the Iraq war (I think) and Katrina, but he had to ask the governor nicely because the governor is the top of the chain of command.

It also has a really tiny Coast Guard like segment, which is probably more useful than all the rest combined.

Actually, just had an epiphany. Maybe Abbott is just trying to make sure no troops are quartered in private homes. We haven't enforced the Third Amendment very recently!

Double edit: the Iraq war thing was just a perfectly normal natural disaster deployment, it was just more important because less of the Army and National Guard were available, I guess.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh

quote:

“I do not come to you tonight with the ability to speak Spanish,” Mr. Huckabee, a Republican and former Arkansas governor, said during an appearance at the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference. “But I do speak a common language. I speak Jesus.”

More ugh:

HE WAS NO ANGEL.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 30, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We just need to keep letting black people die until we find one that would pass a top secret security clearance and the presidential vetting process and did not have any social media accounts and

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dancer posted:

SOooooooo, here's some maybe not terrible news, but it might be fun if republicans pounce on it.

Edit: okay I'm an idiot and forgot this. This is from the Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/30/uk-tells-un-of-iranian-attempts-to-buy-nuclear-technology-report

Cameron is a desperate idiot. Ignore the UK. Their government is illegitimate, until Labour is in power.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

US Pol May: But I do Speak a Common Language. I Speak Jesus.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I doubt he speaks Hebrew

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

And then goons get mad when people post things like "Jesus-speak" and then these clowns actually go and loving say it themselves.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
GOP budget slashes funding to urban renewal programs while jacking up defense spending

quote:

With Baltimore’s troubles as a backdrop, House Republicans are proposing new cuts from urban programs this week even as their budget would add tens of billions of dollars for the Pentagon to get around strict spending caps.

Caught most in the middle is a $55.3 billion housing and transportation measure that is fast becoming the new ground zero in the appropriations wars this summer and a symbol of Washington’s retreat from public investments in poor urban neighborhoods like Baltimore’s.

The 156-page bill demands real cuts from a cross-section of urban programs in order to meet statutory spending targets. But just hours after it advanced Wednesday morning in the House Appropriations Committee, the GOP announced its new 2016 budget agreement, which adds an extra $38 billion for defense by going around the very same caps that had earlier forced reductions in aid to cities.

Most simply, Republicans are proposing two sets of rules, one for defense and the other for domestic appropriations. And the resulting cuts resonate more now given the proximity of the crisis down the road in Baltimore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

I doubt he speaks Hebrew

Aramaic.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quote of a day: "While no one condones looting, on the other hand, one can understand the pent-up feelings that may result from decades of repression and people who have had members of their family killed by that regime, for them to be taking their feelings out on that regime," he said. "And I don't think there's anyone in any of those pictures ... (who wouldn't) accept it as part of the price of getting from a repressed regime to freedom."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone seen Aaron Schock lately?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

:drat:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

We just need to keep letting black people die until we find one that would pass a top secret security clearance and the presidential vetting process and did not have any social media accounts and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BynXfREPG8

edit

Is he talking about Iraq after the invasion?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BynXfREPG8

edit

Is he talking about Iraq after the invasion?

That's from 2003.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

But you see Baltimore is different because there was never any oppression to begin with! They're all making it up because they like rioting on account of being too lazy to have jobs that are less physically strenuous than rioting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is why it's pointless to argue with people. Lady was tweeting fake racist looting photos and:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

This is why it's pointless to argue with people. Lady was tweeting fake racist looting photos and:

She's basically the same as the WP crew in the Baltimore is on Fire thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

BPD is using white phosphorous?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kill all white people, drat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

BPD is using white phosphorous?

The White Phosphorous crew is in a certain thread with another acronym. To clarify I meant white power.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Nonsense posted:

It was really funny when all of the ironic shitposting of GBS brought out actual racists but its sad to hear the thread has been taken over by them :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I posted that Rumsfeld quote and Tim Wise shared it on FB. I feel so happy!

• Locked thread