Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I don't think that is what will do it if Civil Rights for black people didn't.

The majority of liberal white people still don't really like black people, it's just that they realize you can't treat them like second class citizens. I mean really, how many liberal white people that you know would be totally cool living in a black neighborhood, or having a black family move in next to them?

Most liberal white people are cool with the gays though so it's way less of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

The former? probably not very many. I'd be wary of moving to a place where the vast majority of people don't look/talk like I do. I'd worry that they'd think I was some kind of gentrifier or worse. I'd worry they'd hate me for being white. I would however, move to a black neighborhood one hell of a lot quicker than one where I don't speak the language, regardless of color. I don't like being an outsider. Nobody does.

The latter? Probably most would be fine. I was happy to see my neighbors when I moved in a few doors down to a black family, as they're nice as hell. Granted, that may be because they are near my age and their kids are still kids, instead of teenagers. Because most teenagers of any race are assholes.

Black families who move into white neighborhoods? That takes a lot of will, and a lot of guts. I don't envy them that experience.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's way easier to see black people as "others" no matter what your political leanings are than it is to see gays as "others".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
^^^ basically this ^^^

Talmonis posted:

Are you trying to say that African-American culture and neighborhoods aren't different than white neighborhoods? Because I don't agree. I would not fit into a black neighborhood without serious time and investment. Ditto for a neighborhood of immigrants or a gated white community.

They are, but if you ask a bunch of white liberals if they would move into an asian, mexican or black community they would more than likely pick those communities in that order. It's mostly down to how much interaction there's been between white's and those "other" ethnic groups.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well they're telling golf courses to cut back at least, still short of their forced closure and guillotining of users but eh.

What do you have against golf?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

besides being an environmental disaster and the playground of the bourgeois?

Artificial turf is fine to play on and yeah... more course need to be opened to the public.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I'm sure there are already people promising to leave their faucets running out of spite as well.

Riverside/OC should be firebombed.

Luckily nature agrees with this and we get huge wildfires regularly.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

Two of the most worthless uses of water are golf courses and graveyards. Golf is a dying activity anyway, just stop this stupid poo poo already.

Fun fact, the most recent water conservation laws for commercial land development applies to everything but cemeteries. Most golf course are actually really heavily restricted when it comes to water usage.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it was golf courses. Don't those use more water per square foot than like fifteen bathtubs?

Lot of courses out in Palm Springs so yeah, but almost all the homes out there have landscaping that's like 90% lawn with a few palm trees that provide little to no shade.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

how the gently caress could somebody possibly use over 230 gallons per day

This is was Bob Hope's house out in Palm Springs.

Look at how loving green that grass is man.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Water is heavy. Pumping water from the coast at sea level throughout the state requires a lot of energy.
Desalination is not a solution, it's just a short delay of the problems.

Yeah this. When I was designing irrigation systems the pumps and controls for them were massively expensive so we avoided them at all costs. And we're talking about systems that only required like 120 GPM and ran through 8" lines.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

First Obummer wants to let the Iranian terrorists build nukes, now Big Gay wants to ban Christianity? What a week.

4 more years!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pervis posted:

They never actually learned anything from Iraq (or Vietnam, or Afghanistan). It's not just about their backers, they are actually stupid enough to believe that somehow attacking Iran will end better than Iraq (and Iraq was somehow Obama's fault). Iran being 3x the size with >3x the population and mountainous terrain of course means nothing. As does the reality that we can't bomb their nuclear program away.

They really are that deluded.

Why the gently caress would they?

We've literally called up the last country we were at war with, told them exactly what we were going to do and how to do it and then because of how much we spend on our military we won without even really trying. We basically took the main highway to Baghdad with huge neon signs on our tanks saying "come stop up fuckers" and won handily. And I'm not saying this like I have a war boner or anything either... It's terrifying that the US military could basically curb stomp any other nation on earth even if it was being lead by George loving McClellan.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between theatre victories and winning in a national strategy sense.

Not when their end goal is to sell more weapons to the US.

Zeitgueist posted:

the US military is good at blowing poo poo up and that's all anyone cares about...sure other metrics are important to normal people, but not anyone that matters

Basically this. Who cares about the aftermath when the bombing campaign gets such high ratings?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Then crippled by guerilla tactics while shoveling billions to private contractors. :911:

I believe they call this a feature and not a bug.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

So this guy seems to think Kansas' trickle-down policies have been an indisputable success:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/033115-745978-kansas-job-creating-machine-shows-that-tax-cuts-work.htm

Worth mentioning is what was not mentioned: any talk about the magic of tax cuts increasing revenues.

Isn't this the rag that Ramirez does cartoons for, or was that Branco?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chadderbox posted:

If there's a sign up sheet somewhere to volunteer for having my life ruined by an unexpected $700k I'd like to know where it is.

$700k isn't that much though. My wife and I could clear that in like 4-5 years tops.

I'm such a 1%.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

That's still 5-odd whole years of income for a middle-class couple of two. That's a lot.

Yeah, and for that you're basically hosed for life since people will want to doxx you constantly. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great if we liquidated the 0.1% and redistributed their wealth so everyone gets a few hundred grand, but a $700k check to ruin your life isn't that great if it's you know... ruining your life.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Crain posted:

That's 25 years worth of income for my lovely academic science career.

:smith:

It's a loving crime how much people that do/teach actual science are poo poo on these days.

Pohl posted:

Yeah, I couldn't hope to clear that amount of money in my life. People making GBS threads on the the value of that money becuase they earn a lot have no loving idea how much money that is. Like, god drat.

I wasn't trying to poo poo on it to make people feel bad, it was more that in the grand scheme of things getting something like that but having to ultimately destroy all or almost all future earnings wouldn't be worth it.

I mean the median income for the us is just shy of $52k which is still less than 15 years which was the point, 15 years isn't that long at all considering I've been married to my wife already for 1/2 that and I'm only turning 34 this month.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's somewhere around $0.24 an hour as the bare minimum. Typically the wage is adjusted to ensure that the worker never exceeds any limits that would start impacting their SSI/SSDI/etc eligibility.

This could be fixed if we removed the ridiculous caps on what people can earn before they stop receiving neccesary benefits: essentially by introducing full UHC.

You would probably also have to institute things like housing and food for all.

Not that I'm against that in any way mind you, I think the state should collect enough taxes (especially from the rich) to make sure everyone is given food, shelter, healthcare, and an education.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

technically gas was used

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The absolute worst thing about the Iran deal was the Republicans pretty much positioning the US and an unreliable business partner who you can't trust to keep deals after elections.

Schizophrenic, even.

"Yeah, we cut this 20 year long deal, but we just may change our mind in 3 1/2 years. You never know."

Didn't this exact thing happen with N Korea after W was elected? Like I remember the Clinton administration had a bunch of deals in place so N Korea wouldn't become nuclear and as soon as W came into office he didn't keep most of them which pissed N Korea off enough to either get nuclear capabilities or just set off a bunch of TNT under a mountain somewhere to make it look like they did?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Welcome to policy work, hope you don't share your opinions in public because you'll get nowhere, do nothing, and be nobody.

e:

I'm not asking whether EBT is revenue-neutral, I'm asking if EBT is revenue-generating. Revenue-neutral is a bit of a partisan issue these days, while revenue-generating allows additional tax breaks, exemptions, credits, and special priviledges to offset.

Directly no.

Indirectly they prevent the poor from rioting and potentially overthrowing the government while killing all the rich people when they can't eat so yes... EBT is absofuckinglutelly revenue-generating as it lets the rich actually keep their money.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

This just proves that democrats are sore losers.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Down where, to a game ranch in texas or something?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Cheney isn't charming enough to be Raymond Reddington.

Reddington is literally the only reason to watch that show.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is it partridge season already?

Fun fact, my wife was at the taping for TDS that day and has a script signed by the cast.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Well, it sure as hell isn't "Rookie Lady FBI Agent #14242156".

I believe you mean incompetent FBI agent #1-14242156.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Why stop there? I am all for the AGA, Affordable Gun Act aka Obamagun. Mandatory guns for everyone or pay a fine. Alternatively if you like your gun you can keep it.

I love asking the NRA types why they're not trying to arm the homeless since gun ownership should be for everyone.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Most homeless have mental health issues, why would you hand them guns?

Are you suggesting mandatory background checks prior to gun ownership to prevent people with possible mental health issues from legally owning firearms?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Mandatory firearms safety training in schools might not be a horrible thing.

I strongly agree with this.

They don't need range time but they should absolutely know how loving serious you need to be with safety around firearms.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

lamentable dustman posted:

Mandatory firearm training in HS. Everyone gets a rifle at 17 as a part of Selective Service that they have to keep and maintain. Females also required to sign up for Selective Service

17 for the rifle and qualifying with it at a range.

6'th grade for basic firearm safety about muzzle and trigger discipline, what to do with a found gun, and how to properly store ammo.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 8, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ron Jeremy posted:

What fun is that? That's like making kids take drivers ed and never letting them drive. Or showing them the graphic STD pictures and telling them abstinence is the only way to prevent them.

gently caress it, competitive shooting should be a possible sport for all HS students in the nation to participate in. Target, trap, long range, pistol, and for those in with snow biathlon in the winter months.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Life Survival Class should be a central part of a high school's curriculum and there should be Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior level classes, each one a required pass to graduate.

And if we did this we could get ride of the bullshit economics (which teaches nothing) and government (which is just another US history class) classes you typical take senior year. 8 total semesters with each covering fist aid and sex ed, nutrition, car repair and drivers ED, personal finance, home repair with the basics of a mortgage & rental agreement, firearm safety and qualification also you get registered for selective service in class, US constitution rights and voting, and finally human rights and war crimes.

e: No classes get cut and the school day for high school gets extended by 1 class.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 8, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

site posted:

Even though I agree with the sentiment lmao at this being a required high school course.

Think of it as training for future marines. :henget:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Shrink Summer Break down to two weeks, extend semesters, keep the length of the school day short.

Nahh. If you take a sport in HS your day would basically begin at 7:45 or whenever it starts now until like 5:00 pm. You're gona be working those hours soon anyway.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes I'm sure if Americans had fewer opportunities to learn about the political process, that would go well for the nation. But make sure they know how to file the forms to put themselves in massive debt!

My government class was totally useless since it was just another history class, but if anything it just gets re-branded as the "US constitution rights and voting" class.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

if you like your science class, you can keep your science class, have your high school experience specifically tailored to make you better at science, and graduate with a degree that says you are good at science. And if you don't like science, gently caress it.

I sort of agree with this, but make the options super limited to only Language, History, Math, or Science. Art is missing from that list since while I do think it's super important that poo poo is for college or free time.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also, cut PE and make some extracurricular sport mandatory instead. Allow martial arts outside the school and simply working out 3x a week under supervision (possibly alongside the athletes, even) to count as well. PE was also utterly useless at its intended purpose in my experience; weight training and actual cardio would have done a whole lot more for me than kickball and walking on a track.

Holy poo poo this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MaxxBot posted:

I don't care what they do but I just want to make statistics mandatory because I'm so loving sick of seeing correlation = causation fallacies and lack of understanding of basic polling and sampling coming from people with PHDs.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress You.

Maybe not statistics, but at least the basics of argumentation.

Chapter 1 could be call "The Internet and Godwin's law"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

John Boehner's entitlement reform pitch... in 10 gifs.

The GOP, much like Cunard Lines, only cares about providing help for the rich when there's a catastrophe.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gounads posted:

Charging someone for the next election is a great way to make sure no one ever resigns again, no matter how horrible they are.

I think it's more that he resigned in disgraced more than anything else. If he were to resign because of a health issue or something like that I doubt they would charge him with anything.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

That was before he was president, check and mate libtard. :smuggo:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

On one hand, I don't like Hillary.

On the other hand, one or two of the conservative Supreme Court judges will probably die in the next 9 years.

That's horribly reductionist but hey.

This is basically 80% of the reason I vote for a democrat in the whitehouse. The other 20% is gently caress republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKurfXAVWM

• Locked thread