Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

A Winner is Jew posted:

^^^ basically this ^^^

They are, but if you ask a bunch of white liberals if they would move into an asian, mexican or black community they would more than likely pick those communities in that order. It's mostly down to how much interaction there's been between white's and those "other" ethnic groups.

A bit late, but I'm from a heavily Asian neighborhood that used to be mostly white; it's a stark difference 20 years ago to now, when my high school went from majority white to less than 10% white (>80% of the school is of Asian descent). And this high school was always pretty upscale too, so it's not like working class whites were getting priced out of their homes by rich Asian immigrants.

Whether it's from the withering away of well-paying blue collar jobs throughout the state or the surge in nonwhite population, there are two million less whites in California today than there were at the time of the 1990 Census.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress you Tom Cotton. gently caress you and the letter you wrote to Iran, and the letter you wrote to the UN saying that Obama cannot negotiate Climate treaties.

Wouldn't be surprised if he and a lot of his base would sincerely like to hang gays.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Hollismason posted:

So wouldn't it be a smarter strategy for Democrats to support and vote Extreme Republican in districts where there is a "normal" Republican and a "Nutjob" Republican. IE Boehner running against a Evangelical let's say you can't vote if you get Welfare card.

Isn't it better for the Dems to get more and more "The body has a way of shutting that down" Republicans in Districts they can't win anyway?

Or is that something their already doing?

McCaskill put up Akin billboards around rural Missouri and Reid made an effort to get Angle nominated in the GOP primary, but aside from that a lot of the districts the GOP controls would vote for the wall of a barn if it was on the GOP ticket in the general election. I don't think it'd be beneficial if we had more folks who just want to burn the federal government to the ground in Congress.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I think I remember reading that a good chunk of Louisiana Catholics are registered Democratic, but haven't voted Democratic since Clinton.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Ted Cruz is going to loving destroy in those debates. Seriously, I'm not joking. He's a trained debater and a really really good lawyer. He's insane and I disagree with everything he stands for because he's a goddamn sociopath but he's a good debater.

It's always possible that he could come off totally smug and unlikable in those debates, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

zoux posted:

You guys remember in the primaries last cycle when they had a debate and one of the moderators asked "What should these people, without health insurance, do" and some people in the audience yelled out "Let them die". That happened right, that wasn't some satire move I saw?

No lie, when I first came to D&D and saw people posting "KILL YOU ARE PARENTS" I thought that was what the meme referred to.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

So like, I've never figured out if I'm supposed to laugh at the Drudge Report or be scared of it. I mean, how much influence does the Drudge Report have? It just always looked so lovely. Like, it looks more like a website run Anthony Crispino than actual an actual news site.

From what I heard it was much more mainstream in the late 90s/2000s, when posting SCARY CAPITALIZED TITLES on a webpage was considered cutting edge.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

GG 1960s/1970s Boston:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Karnegal posted:

I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss Walker for being a clown. Bush was a clown and the voters elected him twice (or once depending on how you're counting). In any case, being stooge isn't enough to stop you from getting a party nomination if you have money and support.

I do think that Hillary would eat Walker alive in a debate, but part of that is because she isn't obligated to parrot party lines. I'm not saying that the other republicans can't put out effective attacks on Walker, but it's harder to call him out on dumb poo poo when you support the same dumb poo poo.

Attacking his credentials (didn't finish college, no foreign cred) could be a tactic, but I'm not 100% sure how much the portion of the base he's catering to actually gives a poo poo about those things vs. look at me gently caress unions over - I hate big government!

I think his advantage in the primary is that he is vanilla as gently caress and isn't named Bush. That's probably more of a liability in the general, but if the GOP was interested in the general they probably shouldn't have put themselves in the position of catering to the most extreme elements of their party.

He's also only ever been on the public payroll ever since dropping out of college. Not sure how well that would go over with the GOP crowd.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

The last photo taken of FDR was 70 years ago today.

He died the next day.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

fknlo posted:

r/politics seems to be on the Randwagon as of the past couple days with some of his more recent quotes that internet libertarians seem to love and any time his previous positions on the exact same subject are brought up it instantly devolves into a "well this is what he's saying now and it's good!!!" defense.

Also, five minute rule, he's a loving coward who runs for the hills when he gets anything harder than a softball, etc. loving Reddit.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

fknlo posted:

He's pro mercenary if I remember correctly. So instead of sending troops over we just send "private mercenaries" to do our bidding. States Rights, etc...

I've asked before, but could I have a source on this? If nothing else, to bludgeon idiot Paulbots who think he's "the only anti-war candidate" and crap.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Thanks! Now to delete that from my watch history so I don't get a deluge of "gently caress YEAH RON PAUL" videos in my recommended feed :barf:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

And Clinton(s) is (are) godparents of the third way corporate Democratic Party. Racial issues are a lot more intertwined with economic issues than gay rights are and a hallmark of third way Dems is promoting gay rights and white middle+ class women rights to appear socially liberal while steamrolling racial minorities and nonwhite, nonwealthy women.

Not just godparents. They coined the term "third way".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

You forgot to post the original:

Beautiful.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

BeefyTaco posted:

Hey everyone, I mostly just lurk this thread, but I wanted to pop in with an important question. A friend of a friend is doing a lunch interview with Rick Santorum tomorrow - are there any good questions I should tell them to ask him? (They already promised to ask about his "google problem").

Try challenging him to complete the phrase "government n-"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

One of my grandfathers was born in 1875. I'm in my 30s.

When were your parents born :psyduck:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah there's definitely a subset of rich FYGM Asians, usually first or second generation, that makes common cause with white conservatives to poo poo on black people.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Charles and David Koch are well known for their business success, their generous philanthropic efforts and for their focus on innovation in management. Some also know them for their activism in the political realm. All of these are important contributions to society. What is underappreciated is their passion for freedom and their commitment to ideas. Unlike many crony capitalists who troll the halls of Congress looking for favors, the Kochs have consistently lobbied against special-interest politics." ~ Rand Paul

:stare:

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly despise Randy any more than I already do.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'm a registered Democrat who should glue his mailbox shut.

A Winner is Jew posted:

He can probably still out run him.

:eyepop:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 16, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Vermont: America's Norway

Trade oil for farms, forests, maple syrup, cows and, uh...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

PhilippAchtel posted:

For all the bad that Atlas Shrugged has done for our 20th-21st century political discourse, it did introduce the comedy of the "Who is John Galt?" speech, and for that I can never fully hate Ayn Rand.

I still remember the Who Is Barry Soetoro spoofs people posted to freedombook

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The pizza slices at my high school were soggy and more limp than a flaccid dick

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Zwabu posted:

The most notable were Arkane of House Huntsman (who claimed at one point to have made something like 200K USD betting on stuff like Romney and Obama getting nominated, I think you'd have to risk like a million bucks to win that much on those propositions), Arzy, and BoostedC5 who had his own poll unskewing sites. Although I don't think they were trolling, I think they were posting in earnest, they were just the rare persistent GOP posters. BoostedC5 did kind of get to the point of trolling at some point if I recall, he had the "rational conservative" thing going for a while but there was a time where he briefly was loudly broadcasting stupid talking points.

There was also Yinzer, who was so aggressively stupid he got a ton of double probations in the month leading up to the election. Others might remember him as Alexander Nevermind, who basically did what people think Amergin does: argued with D&D atheists, copy/pasted their responses to an orthodox forum, and then copy/pasted the replies from that forum to a thread until he got caught.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

Coming this summer from the publishers of the Rand Paul comic book.

Jeb shrugged

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

That Peter Schweizer dude used to be a fellow at the Hoover Foundation in Stanford; how reliable is it, since I have to do research on people involved in postwar aid in their archives.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

I especially like this Internet character, I'm sure you've all seen at least one of them.

Gets a speeding ticket: "MOTHERFUCK THE POLICE I HOPE EVERY PIG WHO PUTS ON A BADGE DIES OF DICK CANCER BUNCH OF GOD-DAMNED LOSERS AND VIOLENCE FREAKS gently caress THEM WHERE THEY LIVE SONS OF BITCHES."

Sees video of cops choking Eric Garner: "Well they have a tough job and put their lives on the line so who are we to criticize or exercise any judgment whatsoever on these valiant and selfless heroes of the modern world and well he was breaking the law so..."

The law: Completely meaningless if it applies to you, justification for cold-blooded murder of bleaghs at all other times.

Also it's great because you know these people didn't give two shits when those two people from Bundy's ranch killed cops in Vegas and draped themselves with the Gadsden Flag.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

Reminder that this poo poo happened even to white people all across the country during the Occupy movement, and nobody seemed to give a poo poo then.

The pepper spray incident was all over my feed, but that was because I have dozens of acquaintances at Davis. Aside from them, it was some "GET A JOB YOU HIPPIES" bullcrap.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

baw posted:

I don't watch a lot of Vice, but I watched this and the ISIS video and goddamn those reporters are really willing to go places that most aren't.

Also it's worth mentioning that we have a thread for discussing institutional racism right in this very forum. It's easy to find now because it has a "poo poo" rating.

shame about the GBS white power brigade though

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Would that report about Twitter riot antagonists just prove the fact that the violence and destruction is coming from outside sources. This, not negating what the protests were actually about.

You just know that if Fox News were around 50 to 60 years ago they'd have given exposés about how Martin Luther King Jr. and his allies were agents of Moscow.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

You want trolling? Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA) will give you some trolling at today's address from Japanese Prime Minister Abe.

Can I just say again that I'm incredibly glad that he's still my Congressman, and that my district wasn't fired up and ready for Ro?

Honda is really great on the whole Japanese war crimes issue; that and his upbringing alone make me respect him a ton.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Most everyone I work with is super conservative and/or religious but there are like 2 other liberals and even they are gigantic gun nuts to the point of immediately throwing the poor under the bus if a politician looks at their dumb toys wrong. I'm talking like an open Obama supporter who also immediately went out and bought an AR15 because of some dumb gun lobby scare tactics about them getting banned a few years back. I'm generally in favor of reducing the overall number of guns floating around society but it's not an issue I feel terribly strongly about so I like to make snide gun control comments and just see how loving long this guy will rant about how The Only Reason The Japanese Didn't Invade The United States Was The Second Ammendment or some poo poo.

After the 2014 midterms, didn't a bunch of TFR posters come and post about how they're actually leftists but will vote Republican if you gently caress with their guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chamale posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I had to look up his name, but I recognized the title of his infamous book The Bell Curve. That's the one where he argues that black people tend to be poor because they're genetically inferior to whites.

"A huge number of well-meaning whites fear that they are closet racists, and this book tells them they are not. It's going to make them feel better about things they already think but do not know how to say.”

That quote alone tells you all you need to know about The Bell Curve.

• Locked thread