Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Not content to let Indiana and Arkansas get all the attention, the Texas House Votes to Defund HIV Prevention to Pay for Abstinence Education.
Holy hell.

quote:

House Democrats fought against the amendment in a debate that rapidly devolved into awkward farce, with Rep. Spitzer revealing details of his own sexual history as proof of the effectiveness of abstinence. For those keeping tabs at home, he was a virgin until marrying his wife at age 29, although he declined to answer a question from Rep. Harold Dutton (D-Houston) on whether she was the first person he propositioned. “Decorum,” shouted state Rep. Jason Isaac (R-Dripping Springs).

Which state will have the next pants-on-head insane episode and create the next horrific piece of legislature?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The governor of Arkansas ordered the legislature rethink the religious freedom bill BEFORE he signed it? So Arkansas > Indiana now?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's a term meaning the walmart executives don't want the bill.

http://m.kait8.com/kait8/db_330534/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=qWan4dh5
I'll take anyone as an ally in this fight, even Walmart.

edit: Is Indiana still considered a swing state?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So in the end, it was definitely the business interests that made the difference and not the human rights interests. I guess I'm not surprised, but I hope people there remember that if they think about bragging about how they pulled it together to keep this law from happening.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

The Cultural Warrior writer Rob Dreher of the American Conservative is practically calling for a boycott of Walmart for obvious reasons. You know I may disagree with his reasons, but his arguing that this is the final showing that business is not in any way concerned for "tradition" is quite right.
Wait, not ACTUALLY calling for a boycott? What good is that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “We shouldn’t discriminate based on sexual orientation.” ~ Jeb Bush.
This is a man with aspirations for the GOP presidential nomination?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Come to think of it, how are all these rear end in a top hat store owners going to even know a customer is gay before serving them? It was so much easier when they were black...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gounads posted:

On monday, my business partner claimed that as being a Christian he's discriminated against. Me & the other guy in the car were baffled. But then I had to get out of the car to catch my plane. Looking forward to finding out more about this from him since he's a very reasonable level-headed guy who hates Fox news.
I assume they're making a mistake between personal discrimination (some guy they know said they don't really like religion so much), and systemic discrimination from governments and businesses. It's a common mistake to make, clearly.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 2, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/01/us/water-use-in-california.html?_r=0

NYT has a graphic up of how much water is being used in California. Unexpectedly, gated communities of rich old whites are using the most.

I figured it was golf courses. Don't those use more water per square foot than like fifteen bathtubs?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

Seriously, morons who insist on watering their green lawns in the motherfucking desert aren't helping, but it's a kind of reverse welfare queen thing where they're teaching you to hate .003% of the problem. Big Ag and coolant for power generation are much bigger problems, and lovely-rear end infrastructure too.
It's easier to argue that those are essential uses of water though, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

William Bear posted:

The threat ISIS and groups like it pose “are not of the existential nature we confronted during World War II or during the Cold War,” she said.
This might be a stupid question, but was WW2 an existential threat to the US?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Branis posted:

I don't think there's ever been an actual existential threat to the US except maybe the civil war. Germany in the 40s couldn't get enough ships together to invade England, let alone cross the atlantic and invade the US.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But then, clearly lots of people consider terrorist attacks in the middle east or whatever to be existential threats to us.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How is it decided how little they can be paid? Is it somehow based on what kind of disability they have?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

The Republican Primaries are going to be loving amazing. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Jeb Bush, Cotton maybe?

loving fantastic.
I wish I knew what the Dems' was going to look like other than Hillary Hillary Hillary.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Officer Slager has been fired, per the North Charleston mayor
What is going on here? This is not what I have come to expect at all. It's new and scary.

edit: was the person who submitted the video white or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Charge every single last witness who corroborated the officer's testimony/paperwork with conspiracy.
That would be nice, but this is a time for baby steps. I just want ONE person to be convicted of his murder first.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Here's the thing to keep in mind about the cop video, consider all the other arrests made by this officer which are now suspect because he's on video planting evidence. Think of anyone who may be on death row or executed because of him: now consider how much the city should expect to pay out in the eventual civil suits.
They shouldn't have hired an awful, awful person and given him power over other people's lives and freedom so screw'em.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

Sounds like accessory to murder to me.
I wish I could find a survey of all six billion police officers in the US to find out how many of them a personally embarrassed by this poo poo. I want to believe it's the vast majority of them, but...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

:laffo: at anyone naive enough to think this
Well, I did say I WANT to believe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This argument sounds completely batshit; is it worth going back all those pages to figure out how it started?

edit: especially the crab stuff

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:psypop:

The Internet is perhaps the strangest thing to happen to human culture since the invention of the written word.
I agree, and Twitter is perhaps the strangest thing since the invention of the internet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blindeye posted:

I still think Tumblr has it beat, at least for a while longer.
I don't think Tumblr has anywhere near the influence on the real world though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pohl posted:

I love Biden, but he will never win.
What did Biden do to be so forgotten, anyway? Dick Cheney always stayed at the top of people's minds through his various...antics.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also, five minute rule, he's a loving coward who runs for the hills when he gets anything harder than a softball, etc. loving Reddit.
What's the Democrat version of this look like, anyway?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Probably much less interesting since theres only one candidate
Including historical Dem candidates and presidents too, I mean.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

All war is a crime. Hope this helps.
Yeah but it's traditional and thus grandfathered in, same as the tobacco business.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I figured we'd slowly have to make do with a less hospitable climate, fewer material things and less easy travel, but that wouldn't be the end of civilization, just a (mostly very negative) change. Or maybe it's just a return to a sustainable level of humanity.

The poor and down-and-out will be completely hosed though. The rich will make sure that they take the most damage from the unpleasant changes, one way or another.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 14, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well sure, humanity in general might be able to weather catastrophic climate change but forgive me if I think the death toll is still too high regardless.
That's awful, but it's still not civilization collapse. I doubt the entire world is going to go the way of the Mayans or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eNeMeE posted:

You don't have to worry, someone will quote it.
That's the thing about putting users on ignore: if they're saying offensive things someone will quote what they say to argue with it (so you'll end up reading them anyway), and if they're saying inoffensive things then there's no reason to put them on ignore in the first place. Ignore is pointless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So basically, banks and sales websites can have a secure setup that customers can trust, but elections are going to be a pathetic amateur job?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

44% of Americans too indecisive to just make up their goddamn minds already!
I know how I will vote, but don't see the value in registering for a party.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The mail my parents always got as registered Democrats made me think they had registered their undying love for the Party, and I sure as poo poo am not willing to do anything like that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

Conservatives loving love mexican food.
Source: I am from North Carolina where every podunk little town will have a delicious mexican restaurant.
Why do they love the food but want Mexicans to stay the hell away? Or is this one of those things where you ask a kid where beef comes from and they say "the grocery store"?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

It's the second one. Honestly I haven't heard a lot of hate from North Carolinians about illegal immigrants - I think it must be a thing closer to the border.
I mean, there's a million other reasons I could say this I guess, but why do they root for the gently caress immigrants party then?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

drakegrim posted:

Nice political joke, calm down liberals, he was only joking.
I'm sure This Is The Joke, but everything like this ever said in the history of humanity was someone "only joking".

I find it uniquely horrifying myself, and I wonder if it's just the start of some absolutely spectacular poo poo we will see as the election goes on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Venom Snake posted:

Whats with all the other

It's probably some group no one expects, like Hmong in Wisconsin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Pre or post Michelle Obama, I can believe any awful looking picture of school lunch is real.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

Only the finest chicken nuggets Sysco can deliver
My school lunches literally made McDonalds' look like some gourmet poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The main thing I remember about my elementary school cafeteria is that the administration wouldn't let us go inside the building before classes started, even in the cold of winter, but the lunch ladies would disobey them and let us in to the cafeteria so we could be warm. I never figured out what the gently caress, but I was grateful to them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

BUT I'M NOT A SEXIST!
He was probably referring to metaphorical baggage but yeah, that thought had occurred to me as well.

• Locked thread