Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hi yes, thanks for taking my post. First time caller, long time listener. Love the show. I heard on Twitter that all cops are bad and racist. Can you confirm/deny? Thanks, I'll just listen to the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Drunks are stupid loud assholes and there's nothing you can really do. The cop gave her plenty of chances and orders to leave but she refused and caused a scene. I'm not sure on the back story but it looks like maybe ihop employees called the police so that's why they're there. Business owners generally don't want loud annoying drunks in their store. If they don't leave your only option is to physically remove them. Don't underestimate women, it's very difficult to arrest a resisting person even if it's just small framed female, especially if you're trying to do it without hurting the person.

Around DC all of the IHOP's and Denny's have off-duty cops working security from the later afternoon through the night for poo poo exactly like that video.

Also, TGI Fridays. Holy poo poo. If you want to find trouble on a Friday night in the dc suburbs, goto a Friday's.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rad Lieutenant posted:

strawberry jam is poo poo

Correct.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

JayKay posted:

"OFFICER WHIP SLAGCHEEK REPORTING FOR DUTY"

:911:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rude.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Edit: nah.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

shortspecialbus posted:

Ok, actual question. A friend of mine got rear ended today. No damage, no injuries. He was all pissed off and wanted to call the police.

1.) Would the dispatcher actually send an officer?
2.) Would the officer even take a report?
3.) If the answer is "Yes" to #1 and #2, how annoyed would the officer be? Again, no damage to either car, no injuries at all.

Edit: Madison, WI, population ~250k, in case that makes a difference.

1: Probably*

2: Probably not.

* - if this occurred on a highway you can scratch out the probably and just assume no, I've never known a state trooper that went to a minor property damage crash. Usually their dispatchers are told to tell you to sort it out amongst yourselves if it's a minor paint exchange/fender bender. If it's a big city, they'll probably put you in the rotation of calls but you'll be so low on the priority list that you'll be sitting there for an hour just to have a cop shake his head at you. My agency, God bless their dumb little hearts, is so bored out of its mind that we will show up to any crash we get called for. You probably won't get a crash report for something so minor, but we'll show up and facilitate information exchange if necessary.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Sir Lucius posted:

In Maryland you do not have to stop for a school bus on a 4 lane highway divided by a median if you are traveling in the opposite direction of the school bus. Would this condition still apply if the school bus stopped at an intersection (with or without crosswalks)?

Just a plain intersection? I would stop. If there's no raised median (or separation in the roadway like Shep's anecdote) between me and the bus, everyone stops.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Sir Lucius posted:

Intersection in question

EDIT: Btw, I didn't get a ticket or anything. I just see traffic stop for the school bus there from time to time, and I wasn't sure if they were supposed to.

No you don't need to stop. MD law says you can keep on driving if you're separated by a median.

http://mhso.mva.maryland.gov/SafetyPrograms/program_kids.htm

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mr. Nice! posted:

I understand his fear of police as a black member of society.

I get this joke!

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Everyone claims the handcuffs are too tight. It's just a thing people do. Handcuffs are inherently uncomfortable. Sometimes I'll loosen them up a little, other times I'll let it roll. I'll always at least give them a pinky check to see that there's some wiggle room to them.

I don't mess with claimed injuries though. It's not worth it. I'll let the ambulance tell me they're not actually hurt.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Untagged posted:

It's Baltimore. Everything has to do with politics.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

DrakeriderCa posted:

That reminds me: I've read in a few articles that the officers apparently breached policy by not seat belting the deceased into the van. Do they seriously have seatbelts in their vans? Do any of you?

None of our transport vehicles have seat belts in the prisoner compartments and I've never seen another agency up here that has them either. The reasoning seems very self-evident. Is that just :canada: ?

We have seatbelts in our vans. DC police have a roller coaster style bar that comes down across the waists of the people in their vans, plus the seatbelt.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

DrakeriderCa posted:

:stare:

And you've never had problems with strangulation? Or do the vans only have retracting lap belts?

The roller coaster bar sounds awesome though.

How would they get strangled? Seriously I'm curious. We're not wrapping it around their neck, it's a regular retracting seatbelt.

From my limited understanding the roller coaster bar is for when they can't safely put the seatbelt on (person is combative, whatever) so they have some restraint.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Untagged posted:

So did the State's Attorney direct indict, or get warrants from either a Judge or MagistrateCommissioner? I've seen a few different news stories and none of them answer how the charges were filed or obtained. The charging documents should be made available, depending upon how they were done.

They should be in MD Case Search, which is a publicly viewable database.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rad Lieutenant posted:

do we know what each officer actually did and how it relates to the charges? All the reports I've seen say that 2 bicycle cops tackled him as he fled and called for a transport van. They stopped at one point to shackle him & then again to pick up another prisoner. A third stop was for the ambulance to transport him to the hospital. We're the other 4 officers all in that transport van???

I don't think the report has actually been released. Now that there's charges it should come out in discovery.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Reign Of Pain posted:

Welp, I was wrong...only 4 of them are white.

Boo this man.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vahakyla posted:

If it is the first due of fire, it's their responsibility. I never ever as a front seat officer would take a cop's evaluation of the scene about a thing that is my responsibility. And I never did. I always gave a small lecture about me calling them off at a DV house.

I've had podunk cops tell me the scene looks good and by the time we get there the car is in flames next to a garage. And medical calls are the worst when a cop gives us "an evaluation of the scene. "

"Yes, this scene looks good. The wreck looks horrible but the driver seems calm and is slowly walking around. Not screaming or complaining about pain. Looks good."

Jesus.

Imagine me in court saying "well you see the police officer, who knows nothing about fire rescue, said this and that."

Come on guys, would you take a fireman's advice on a gang fight?

I cancel the fire department all the time when its a false alarm. :shrug:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kiryen posted:

poo poo, our tow man used to take care of the leaks. That guy was great.

Yea I'm pretty sure DC Fire would laugh at me if I called them for absorbent. Our tow guys always carry it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

E Depois do Adeus posted:

A Paramedic (an instructor, no less) told me a story about how he arrived on the scene of a suicide. The cops + FD were already on scene and the guy still had the gun in his hand. He apparently tripped over the guy and the gun went off (without hitting anyone). He said that this was the fault of the police for not securing the weapon properly.

With that in mind, does anyone have any good stories involving EMTs/Paramedics? Asking as a soon-to-be EMT.

Lol if you think I'm putting my fingerprints on the murder weapon. YEA OK, INTERNAL AFFAIRS.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Cops stood by while an intoxicated female was sexually abused by a couple EMTs. Got it.

CAW CAW, CAW CAW

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've seen DC Fire use the sternum rub on people I couldn't wake up multiple times. I usually call them and let them have the fun because touching homeless people, ew. :barf:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Branis posted:

whats the scale on that map? that looks pretty loving far into virginia from maryland for a trooper to justify making a stop.

Probably 10-15 miles into the state.

AcidRonin posted:

Is it kosher for maryland state troopers to pull me over on the DC beltway while it passes through Arlington VA? I took the ticket I was definitely speeding but is that strictly speaking legal?

Also 10 over on the beltway at 830 gets you a ticket now apparently

Did he give you a Maryland citation or a Virginia citation. I know a few of my coworkers will carry the local ticket books for VA and MD when they're off-duty for egregious offenders, but we also carry jurisdiction everywhere so..

Also, what's the location for the offense on the ticket. Its possible he caught you on radar/laser/whatever in Maryland but was only able to catch up to you inside Virginia.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 12, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^
Heh. DC area cops. We like to have fun and make the jokes. Its not a joke. He's completely serious. MSP would have spiked you and beaten the poo poo out of you and everyone you loved.

Untagged posted:

You are ~positive~ it was a Maryland State Trooper? Or did a federal cop give you a Maryland ticket by mistake.

Also this. Though to be fair MSP usually shouts I AM TROOPHUR DERP DURP WITH MARYLAND STATE POLICE as loudly and as confidently as they can into your car window.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 12, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^^
Capitol Police is nice until you try to start sleigh-riding down their hill. :cop:

AcidRonin posted:

Ticket is MD and says Bethesda. Jesus when he said "back there" he wasnt kiddingAlso i do not deny that they woul kill my whole family. Fairfax PD also scares me

Uh. Are we -sure- you got stopped down by Annandale? Bethesda isn't even close to Annandale. I'd challenge the gently caress out of that.

AcidRonin posted:

MD has the brown cop cars. Hard to miss

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Don't let a trooper hear you call their color brown. Its olive.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 12, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

AcidRonin posted:

:stare: but. Its brown. Right? Like you agree with me right? Its totally brown......

*looks around nervously*

Is this a trap? Is there a squad of troopers hiding in my closet waiting to beat the poo poo out of me? ITS OLIVE GUYS, I SWEAR.

*runs*

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Untagged posted:

VSP is "Commonwealth Grey". Not Confederate Grey. :v:

Hahahahaha. I -might- do this to a trooper friend of mine. He also might beat the poo poo out of me.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kiryen posted:

Having your overheads on does not help if theres nowhere for the traffic to move to in order to let you pass. I've driven the beltway a few times at rush hour and thats definitely the case. Pray you never need an ambulance in the middle of that poo poo. In fact, just take the train or GTFO.

The train that constantly breaks down and fills the tunnels with smoke? :nallears:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Booblord Zagats posted:

Someone felt their autism sense tingle ^^^

Trigger warning: train autism In these pix

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

somewhatpathetic posted:

Did they ever figure out why that happened? All I remember was getting lectured by one of the red line operators over the intercom about how we should never go in the tunnel that day, I never followed up on it.

Water got onto the third line and caused it to arc.

I'm sure Kiryen will be in shortly to explain more than you've ever wanted to know.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Captain Bravo posted:

Question, for the cops that post in here:

Which one of you is this? :v: I'd guess Whip, but I don't think he's in Maryland, is he?

I'm everywhere, bitch. :unsmigghh:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I just use my gun

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It's weird. All of the guys in my department that I know that can fight (do mma or martial arts) always have an APO. Like once a month at least. Also short officers. Holy poo poo never mess with a short officer because they'll immediately escalate poo poo.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

DrakeriderCa posted:

I should add to clarify that there's a sweet spot for martial arts prowess in policing. The guys who take it really seriously also seem to be really zen and chilled out, but the guys who take it semi-seriously but talk about it all the time are also the guys who are the most dangerous to work with. Same thing with guns.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

DrakeriderCa posted:

I tried it once before. I worked in law enforcement for a year and was like "I need to finish my degree" so I went back to university and I made it one year. I couldn't handle the people. I was surrounded by idiots. Students who would protest in the quad with signs like "Stop The Violence". Stop what loving violence? Where? Grad students who have never left their mom's basement who will insist on telling you how the world works. :argh:

I'm in grad school right now and all of my classmates have been pretty chill except for one glaring exception. :shrug:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You can still come to DC. You're a veteran pursuing grad school. The big agencies will find you if you're qualified, they host recruiting events all over the place. Just keep an eye on their websites for it and pester the local recruiter. Also since you have mil time you don't necessarily have to worry about hitting the age 37 wall.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Is it becoming more difficult to receive compensation for work-related disability? I mean I obviously have no idea what kind of toll a decade or two of patrolling takes on your body or what sort of career(s) exists beyond that, so I appreciate the advice. I'm not a guy who's going to pick-up a Comp Sci or Accounting or Biology degree on a whim- especially not as a means to increase my earning potential for a job/career in those fields that I have no intention of ever pursuing.

I've been told in no uncertain terms that if I ever had a back injury to not even bother trying to get Work Comp. for it because I'll be laughed out of the office. Cost of doing business, they say. :suicide:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Thanks for all the feedback. My take away here is that a Criminal Justice BA on top of the Film BFA I'm already pursuing isn't going to make a difference in getting hired and, at most, will only slightly benefit me in the long run if I try to move up to an administrative position later on. Pursuing a grad degree- regardless of field- would also be slightly beneficial for the same reasons but might also make me a more attractive hire for federal agencies. And, of course, a degree in a technical field would be the best way to go for career advancement/earning potential in case of career change. I'm not going to pursue a technical degree but I'm now strongly considering the possibility of squeezing a tech school academy class out of my benefits while I wrap up the final year of my BFA.

New question:
I realize every department is different, but is there anything I should know about the application process? I have gaps in my employment history because I'm content to live off of the GI Bill while attending school. Is that likely to be a red flag? I had my license suspended when I was 17 for underage possession of alcohol and again at 20 for a DUI. I also had a THC possession charge expunged when I was 20.
I'd report all this stuff on the application, I'm just curious if stuff from over a decade ago is likely to present any major hurdles to getting hired.

For context: how long ago was the DUI? That and the bad driving record/suspension could be a tough hurdle to get over depending on how recent it is.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

All at least 12 years ago. I mean, the military took me. Granted they weren't looking to say "no" in 2007.

That's a pretty decent span of time and the military + school should help to offset those issues. DUI is a red flag but I have coworkers that have gotten DUI's. Basically what I'm saying is: apply and see what happens. Expect agencies to say no, but some might take a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Think we should go to war again just so vets would stop taking my 1811 gigs.

• Locked thread