Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Great Beer posted:

Its 70 for 2gb in america with Verizon, with 10 bucks per gig after that. I have a grandfathered plan that's 60 for 2gb. :jerkbag:

I rarely use that much though. I'm usually on wifi.

Cricket is making big strides to be a player since ATT bought them. 4 lines, 2.5gb each (not pooled, sadly), $100 per month all-in. Can't really beat it. Even 1 line is $35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Taco Box posted:

Also, I wish people would leave their whooping autistic children at home. There's a whole part of the plot of the movie I still don't understand because this kid was making all kinds of noise and wandering around.

Yeah, screw the kids with autism that want to watch a movie, you have the plotline of FF7 to focus on.

So, TT gets an awesome dog, fjelltorsk gets an awesome project... good way to end lent.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Taco Box posted:

:what: people bitch all day about babies in theaters, why's this different?

Also, he was more interested in his sippy cup of soda being empty than watching the movie.

If you want solitude in a movie, you go to a matinee a few weeks after a release. If you go to a major picture on opening weekend, you're guaranteed to have to deal with... other people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

You are poo poo. Stop being poo poo.

Another fine, well-supported argument from poster Ozmiander. :bravo:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bluetooth isn't a requirement just a feature that would be kind of nice to have. I'll have to find somewhere local I can see Blaupunkt in person to see how boring/dim I can make it. Those Nakamishi's are nice, never heard of them until now...$1700 for a head unit though. It's strange because there's a decent selection for older radios that match cars from the 50's and stuff but nothing really for the period between that and the flashy poo poo that's popular now.

Agreed, it seems a company like Blaupunkt could easily take some of their old designs and add in features while having them look the same and completely dominate the market.

I mean Porsche supposedly sells this for $700 which is pretty awesome.

Or, for simple/cheap with USB: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Car-MP3-Tuner-LCD-Displayer-Car-MP3-Player-Kit-with-USB-SD-Card-FM-Color/700799190.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geirskogul posted:

If this, or something like this, is still available when I get off this deployment in August-ish, I want to buy it straight up

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4961897405.html

Already gone.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

Oh, holy poo poo I can't WAIT to see this.

I just hope he gets a number plate along the lines of "TRBO CHAR"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's sad that we've seen that one before.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Boats make me glad I like offroad jeeps and airplanes.

God drat boats are expensive. A long time ago I was married to a crazy chick whose dad had too much money. He had a Chris White 46' catamaran custom built and the money in every aspect of that thing was staggering.

Freaking gorgeous boat, though http://chriswhitedesigns.smugmug.com/ATLANTIC-CATAMARANS/ATLANTIC-46/10649887_6PZ77j#!i=740959346&k=JnMJCws

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mat_Drinks posted:

I don't get it, what am I missing?

Saul Goodman's car from the series.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh my god I am getting hosed so hard on my taxes right now. 1099G and unemployment. RIP

So I owe roughly $3k after fees and interest on my payment plan. gently caress my life.

I wish I could text that to those people you splashed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Haha, I was first to give him kudos on the run. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

last night an escalade whose driver was too busy on her phone hit a tire in the road and launched it at my car while i was going about 75mph

i tried to flag her down but she wouldn't pull over, so i got her license number and called the cops. It could have gone way, way worse but still, finding a hood for a quad coupe /redline will be challenging, and finding a replacement bumper even more so

Yikes, that may total it. What would happen if you had an Ion with a salvage title? :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't think so, at most it's like $1500 of work and parts and the car is worth anywhere from $4,000-$6000 depending on the kid that would buy it.

I.... ummm... :thejoke:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

RAV4 with the V6 will haul way more balls than something like that ever should.

Juke for comedy option (my wife loves hers and it is remarkably eager to play).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Don't gently caress with the police kids; especially right now with the media scrutiny - he explained to me that they're all uptight right now because of Bad Press. Apparently it causes magdumps and Ramming Speed...

Fucknag posted:

"Stop talking about us using excessive force, or we'll have to use excessive force!"

loving civilians. They call that excessive force? I'll SHOW them excessive force. It's like some kind of twisted one-upsmanship.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That poo poo is awesome and extremely valuable, Fart Pipe, get them in a safety deposit box and/or insured!

News: Community College enrollment for this Summer is down 50% from this time last year. That is a gently caress-ton. Why? I'm going to bet that a bunch of stupid kids believed Obama when he made that ridiculous statement during the State of the Union address where he promised free community college. I bet they are sitting back and planning on waiting until it becomes true.

It will never become true. Obama directly hosed the most impressionable and trusting demographic. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, most other industrialized countries, college is free, or drat near free.

Yep, and instead of that, we charge students interest rates on their student loans that are fully double what mortgages go for... even though some students owe as much as a house in Student Loans. 'murica. :911:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

the mortgage interest tax credit is a free hand out

It's not. Your income is taxed. If you have a mortgage, you then have to pay property taxes. The mortgage credit just makes it so that you don't have to pay tax on your tax.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

It is absolutely a handout, and it only further encourages people to buy bigger houses with higher amounts of interest paid, because its all tax deductible. Almost all of the benefits go to households earning over 100k.

Cite your sources, because that is idiotic logic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That just says that the majority of the deductions goes to the people that have the most expensive houses. That's self-evident. The exact same logic is used by rich people to SUPPORT the fact that they pay the most in taxes, even though their tax percentage is often half, or less, what "normals" make. You can't play with the numbers both ways.

Either way, "I'm going to buy a house with most of it in interest so I can get a big deduction" is idiotic logic. I don't doubt that it happens, because there are a lot of idiots, but I cannot believe that that situation is anywhere near the majority. If it is, then it's more of an argument for bank reform than anything else.

Well cited though, kudos.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

Sorry, programs that benefit the rich and businesses aren't classified as "giveaways" or "handouts." That only happens if the program benefits poors.

Just like putting a "Terrorist" or "Freedom Fighter" label on a person -- often times the only difference is which side you're on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Galler posted:

Even worse in my case, my mortgage is 2.875% (15 year) and my student loans are like 6.5% or something. Fortunately I got out with 'only' about 8k in loans and graduated with a job so I can easily make about triple the minimum payment and will be done with that poo poo in about two more years.

And, to top if off, you can't refinance Student Loans and you can no longer have them discharged through bankruptcy!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

Double post.

Anyone ever used those HDMI extenders that run over CAT5e? Since I'm doing so much wiring anyway, I'm giving serious thought to (a) installing a recessed power outlet behind the TV and (b) running HDMI from a wall jack behind the desk up to the TV. I have just enough romex left, and I'm going to have several hundred feet of cat5e left over once I'm done.

It's a 720p TV.

HDMI is a fickle bitch even with proper cables. I couldn't get poo poo to happen with an extender going ~25' from my electronics closet to the projector. Even cables gave me fits. After a couple years of putting up with bullshit, weird connection issues, I finally found a good cable a few years back and it's been working great since.

It's a crapshoot.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mungtor posted:

The V6 version of the RAV 4 goes "Shoom" pretty well also. Not sure what additional mods are available for the suspension, but it's certainly quick.

I said the v6 rav earlier, too... But I forgot to say to get the awe version. We had the fwd one and, if you could get traction it was silly fun, but more often it just couldn't get the lower down and had the D over yelling at it to just loving go.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MustardFacial posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I've started to look into what can be done to a K24, EA113, or similar.

I'm going to get her to test drive an SRT8 Grand Cherokee though, for sure.

You may want to look at a Lexus RX350. Nobody ever talks about them, because they are bland and beige, but they use the same 266+hp 2GR-FE motor that the RAV4 has and are not much bigger... could be a nice sleeper with all the Lexus goodies and stupid Toyota reliability.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Made it 20 miles then GDCS. Came around a corner, accelerated and massive cloud of steam in the mirror. loving old cars.

2nd tow in less than 24 hours.

Your cars just have Spring throw-parts-at-it Fever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

As an aside from the shitshow going on in the post your ride thread, I made like the poor I am and bought some literal garbage on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Dig-Cartridges-Missile-Command-8545-/301592716981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463853a6b5

In the '80s, Atari crashed as a company and there was a legend about the company burying millions of ET cartridges in the desert. A group got together and cleared permits and permissions to dig up part of a New Mexico landfill last year and they actually found the burial site and recovered the cartridges that had been buried for 30 years. Having one of those is a great nerd souvenir right there!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Black88GTA posted:

I just happened to catch part of a documentary on this event a couple days ago actually, although I forget which channel it was on. It featured a series of interviews with the guy who programmed the E.T. game that was widely (if undeservedly) blamed by many for speeding the company's demise (he came off as kind of a jackass, honestly), interviews with many other people who were in the industry / working at Atari at the time, and video footage from the actual dig itself. Apparently some local (and some not local) super nerds caught wind of what they were doing, and made a pilgrimage out there to witness it. The crowd looked exactly like what you'd imagine.

e: IN case anyone wants to watch it, it was called Atari: Game Over
Part 1
Part 2

Thanks, I meant to mention the documentary, but forgot. It's also on Netflix. Worth the watch.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geirskogul posted:

I'm googling this, and am confused

Maybe he's thinking something along the lines of this:

http://pixshark.com/indian-war-horse-symbols.htm

maybe?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I've never used Roku, but heard good things about them.

Another option is a Sony Bluray player. New less than the Roku, refurb at Amazon less than $50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS1200-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player/dp/B00TRADGKA

I use one and it's been very solid, fairly quick and the interface is easy to use.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, grow up and buy real furniture.

Rhyno posted:

Grown ups wall mount their tv's. And most tv stands at BL are indeed particle board garbage.

Somebody thinks himself a grown up. Listen to him, kiddies.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got a ticket for blowing a red light. The cop only knew I blew it cuz he did too and we passed each other at the same time through the light. Fucker made a U'ie in the middle of traffic to mab me too.

Karmic retribution for your splashing incident, plus, you ran the red light like a dick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I've nearly got enough paint on this thing to give it a final wet sand, then see what I can do about getting a shine on it.

(that dark stuff at the back is just shadow from a tree)

That's a proper color combo for that car right there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cat Terrist posted:

Only if it involves metal recycling. gently caress carbs forever, fuel injection can even do induction roar better.

Carbs are staples on small engines. I had a minor carb triumph today with dad's big 15hp Kawasaki twin-driven Snapper Pro walk behind.

He didn't use Stabil like I suggested (and offered), and I got some 911 emails a couple weeks ago that he couldn't get it started. I went over and took a look and found that it wasn't getting gas. There was a fuel pump driven off of the vacuum of one cylinder (I'd never seen that before), but it was stuck. I sucked and blew on it a bit and got it back to pumping and it started up. After that, though, it kept getting worse. Lower and lower revs until it would die when you tried to engage the blades.

I took the carb off today and went to town on cleaning it. I have never had success with carbs, by the point I pull one, I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new one. But, I took it apart, found some crap in the bowl, took out the jets and carb cleaner'd everything. Put it back together and... wow, the fucker actually started and looks like it's making full power!

Good day given from the carb god, but yeah, gently caress carbs in general.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

Really not looking forward to dropping the cables into the den, I'm going to need some long rear end gloves and a long sleeve shirt to even think about it - the ceiling in the den is the highest in the house, which means I have to yank out bunches of fiberglass in the attic (and possibly a little attic flooring) to drop cabling. At least the holes already exist, I'm going to just run it alongside the existing coax,

If the coax is existing, just use it as a pull string, with a pull string attached.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

So simulator chat...I may have just bought this. Now I need to figure out how the hell I'm getting it here (1000 miles away) in one piece.

Anyone looking for a Logitech G27?

That looks awesome. But heavy. I'd say that's a great opportunity for a road trip with a rental pickup and unlimited mileage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oh, so you think YOU had a bad day...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1098054_latest-laferrari-crash-is-worst-yet

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

So installed the Samsung driver straight from the source. This is where i'm at with no ability to drag and drop files or even see anything other than being able to pull pictures off it.

I've been in a very similar place with both a Nexus 4 and 5. The computers simply will not see them as storage devices and/or will not allow you to transfer files.

On the N5, I tracked it down to a driver issue and had to gently caress around with that. On the N4, I was just pulling stuff off to clear it, and it was my wife's pictures and stuff, so I just cloud-synced it and called it "good enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slow is Fast posted:

anyone who feels REALLY STRONGLY about a stupid loving phone or stupid loving keyboard is someone who has too much free time and is probably insufferable to hang out with HTH.

You seem to be getting pretty mad about other people's feeling on devices.

• Locked thread