Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Pierson posted:

I can't wait.

I've never seen anything between the first and the fifth, I really need to fill in that gap, but I wonder if I'll like them because it feels like the Rock is just an integral part of the franchise now and obviously he isn't in them.

The 2nd one has its charms but don't expect much, Tokyo Drift is a fun little side story about drifting in Tokyo, and the fourth one restarts the main plot, low on action except for the best street race scene in the whole series.

7 is excellent and pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Also, the tribute to Walker was great and the entire theater started clapping when it was over.

Same here, in fact there was applause when I saw Fast 6 as well. Definite crowd pleasers these movies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I'm pretty sure this movie has the only instance of Brian and Letty saying anything to each other ever.

"You good?"
"Thank you."

They also had a brief conversation near the end of 6 where Brian apologizes for setting her up with Braga and all that and she says it's ok, I never do what I don't want to or something.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I agree that Djimon Hounsou was underused

WHAT?!!!!

poo poo!!!!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Maybe she had a passion for bad tuna fish sandwiches.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Leterrier also did the first 2 Transporter movies, he wouldn't be a bad choice.

e: looks likely to be F. Gary Gray:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/furious-8-f-gary-gray-directing-1201610978/

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 6, 2015

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

The iPod Touch has been the only one they've sold in the past few years, and that's basically an iPhone.

No the ipod nano and ipod shuffle still exist.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, seems like a decent choice. I'm just glad they didn't get hack Rob Cohen back like Vin Diesel was talking about.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Some of those you would never tell it's not real, like is the scene in the garage with Mia completely fake Paul? Pretty amazing really.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Drivers in Cleveland not phased by poo poo.

It's fazed, sorry I can't help that one

This is one of those films where I'm savoring every bit of content about the filming available, can't remember the last film i've done that for. So far we've seen Cuba, New York, Iceland, good variety of locations, is there anywhere else they're filming i've missed?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

Dang, that Stingray (?) is hot as gently caress. RIP I guess

I really hope all the classics they destroy in these movies are kits or replicas or something.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

grahf987 posted:

I guess I could check but how well do these movies do outside of the US?

Furious 7 made over a billion dollars outside the US.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That trailer could not have been more amazing, i'm going to watch this movie 100 times

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's almost like in a lot of ways F&F as a series DOES have a progressive message and that's why this stuff happening still feels out of place, as opposed to in the first few movies where your argument was valid.

Just relax and enjoy the butts man.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, I'll bet getting the word 'bro' into a script that many times is really hard.

It's a fun film, but to me, it's the second weakest entry, after the fourth, which is neither interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor fun eough to be Fast Five.

The best part of 4 is the street race which is the best straight up racing scene in the series.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

That is a good scene, unfortunately there's the rest of the movie around it.

Yeah and the climax isn't exactly thrilling, cars driving through a tunnel. They've come a long way since then.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

the escape goat posted:

ending spoiler:
it was obvious as hell as soon as that gal said "I thought his father should name him" that the kid would be named Brian but...
gently caress, it totally got to me.

It's nice but wouldn't it make more sense if brian was actually... dead? like isn't it a bit wierd to name your baby after your perfectly alive and well friend who is just living somewhere else entirely happy with his kids and Mia? I mean it's one thing if brian is effectively "dead" in the films without explicitly saying as much, but that's not the case because earlier they specifically said "no let's leave brian out of this". So it's a bit of a half-and-half situation. Understandable but still.

And I also enjoyed statham and could even accept his reasons for working with the team and could even accept Dom turning to him out of desperation to save his baby... but why at the end does he have to laugh and joke it up with him? the guy KILLED HAN! how would Han feel about the guy who killed him joking around with Dom and his old team like that? We go from "i'll put him in his grave" from the last movie to best friends laughing together at the end of this? Doesn't quite feel right.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

So what's the time frame between 6, 3, 7, and 8 then? Because of the ___________baby________, I think they decided they all happened way closer to each other than I previously assumed. The baby couldn't have been more than a year old.

There's also the fact that Brian and Mia's kid has grown a bit between 6 and 7 and is attending pre school of some sort... how long did Statham wait before deciding to avenge his brother

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
But he killed Han! killed him! one of the family. Remember when Dom said there is nothing more important than the people in this room, and who was in the room at the time? That's right, Han. It all would have been acceptable though except for the smiling and laughing with him at the end. there should still have been some tension there.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like the rooftop party was probably done on the fly on the way back to LA. Also Brian's son is named Dominick, so it makes sense.

No Brian's son is called Jack, you might be thinking of Vince's son from Five

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There were a lot of things that dragged down this movie for me, including the stuff mentioned above, but after Elena got tied up and executed to teach a Dom a lessson I was basically checked out until some of the reveals at the end. That was both too grimdark and lazy writing for a series that has given its characters more credit and agency than that poo poo

Not sure what credit and agency means but I think that was needed to raise the stakes and yeah if you're going the supervillain route they need to be threatening and do mean stuff

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And I think going the supervillain route was not a good choice. I don't usually like Tropes-type stuff but what happened fit the definition of Fridging to a T except for an actual refrigerator.

I get the review that compared this film to the Die Another Day of the series, especially because Cipher feels like a villain straight out of the lower-tier Brosnan bonds. I loved the previous films, even the ones that were jankier, because in between the crazy poo poo the character interaction and banter was just fun to watch and heartfelt. With Fate, the cool parts are still cool, but the rest of the film feels like filler to get to the cool parts in a way that the previous ones never did

I get what you mean but at this point the crazy is being upped with each film, it's inevitable and I think Charlize as a bond villain is pretty enjoyable considering. In terms of the banter and character interactions, I thought was fine this time, in particular Tyrese was funny as ever, and Michelle Rodriguez did a great job with her character with all the Dom betrayal and whatnot. The Rock and Statham was fun too despite the awkwardness of his murderous history. The very end still bothered me a little bit no matter what justifications can be made.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Re: killing people I was slightly surprised when they all started mowing down the completely uninvolved soldiers at the ice base but then I remembered they had the line about them being "separatists" so I guess that means they were bad dudes and ok to kill

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Dexo posted:

Might give the dude who literally saves your son a pass

Yeah maybe to not kill him. But smiling and joking around like bros? Not so much

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tunicate posted:

By Tokyo Drift canon, Han died on his own, by accident.

What's your point? That was retconned and indeed used as the very introduction of Statham. We see it happen.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

superh posted:

Idk why y'all are arguing for losing Jason Stratham, seems to me they did about as good a writing job as they could have to forgive his killing Han.

I liked it a lot, not my fav, but still great. I love that the series continuity continues to matter way more than it has any right to.

They don't have to lose him but i'd prefer if in the next one he's more of a reluctant accomplice rather than a family barbecue attending family team member

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, so, I got a small writing gig interviewing the great Debbie Evans (who's been the stunt driver in almost every movie ever) at the end of the month. Any requests for interview questions? Among other things, she's been Michelle 'Bad Chicca' Rodriguez's stunt driver for years, incuding all the Fast and Furious movies, and was the stunt rider for Trinity in the endless Matrix Reloaded freeway chase. 'Other things' are about 200 films, so it would take a while to list everything. Also, has anyone got any general interview tips?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0262700/

What sort of stunts require heavy modification of the car, and what sort of thing can be done in more or less a normal car?
What sort of things are now commonly done with CGI which used to be practical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Are they already filming? 9 is not coming out till 2019 isn't it a bit early to be filming?

e: 2020 it comes out so yeah obviously they are not filming it yet

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 27, 2017

• Locked thread