Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just love this is a series that started with the LAPD investigating truck thieves and managed to both escalate and come back full circle so that six movies later we see the LAPD get immediately taken out of play by a warlord's Predator drone while he flies around the city using the AI from Person of Interest while Jason Statham fights that truck thief in dual wielding melee combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Same here, in fact there was applause when I saw Fast 6 as well. Definite crowd pleasers these movies.

I saw Fast 6 opening night and the audience reaction to the Jason Statham reveal was probably the craziest I've ever seen a movie audience.

Scyantific posted:

Just got back from seeing this. Fantastic movie, though kinda thrown off that they only brought in Lucas Black for a tidbit role and didn't expand on it.

Lucas Black for the new "white guy" slot? I don't think he could carry it, unfortunately. And I think if they didn't have to use a bunch of their CG budget on emergency doubles they would have de-aged him or something, because going from "high school kid" to "face-wrinkled large-armed man" in the space of a cut was hilarious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Big Bob Pataki posted:

The entire third act is such a glorious mess

Every single scene plays out with you thinking to yourself "it would be so hilarious if this happened, but this is a real movie so it won't." And then it does. Every time

I personally loved the continuous degeneration of Vin's one-liners throughout the film. "I don't have friends, I have family"... sure, that's a great action one-liner that sums up the theme of the film.

But "The thing about a street fight is... the street always wins"? No, that's not the thing. No one has ever said that about a street fight

Edit: Also when in that same sequence Dom shoots his last shotgun round and throws the gun away a friend of mine, who is normally silent and respectful for 100% of movies, said out loud "No, why would you do that? That doesn't make any sense!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, those are cosmetic accouterments, like him putting on an FBI vest in another scene when he hasn't been in that organization for years. Also if he were heavier he wouldn't have been able to run up the side of the vehicle as it fell and grab the spoiler of Letty's car right as she fishtailed at the exact millisecond it needed to otherwise the whole thing would have ended poorly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah that seemed like such a telegraphed setup especially as she seemed to be superfluous after the end of 6. They should re-integrate her into the crew now that the numbers have dwindled

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Few questions:
1) So the movies aren't always this ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I like ridiculous movies and this movie's 'ridiculousity' is certainly different from, say, Transformers. I was already loving it when they dropped out of the plane in their cars and about the time they drove through a skyscraper I was so on board. But apparently the first few movies are relatively much more low-key?

4) From my brief travel through the world of people who watched previous films, it seems like 5 is the cream of the crop, with 6 (or 7) after it. Is it worth watching the first four movies if all I want is more exciting car stuff?

The first three films are pretty different from what comes after, they're basically a loosely connected trilogy revolving around underground street racing with a side order of crime. The first movie sets up the Dom-Brian relationship. The second film doesn't have Dom at all but introduces Roman and Tej. The third movie is almost entirely unconnected (no Dom or Brian) except for Han, and didn't get sutured back into the series main story until the end of 6.

Four (Fast & Furious, no articles) is basically the reboot where Dom and Brian reconnect and the balance of the series starts shifting away from racing and more towards car-based combat action. 5 is the start of the new trilogy where what everyone expects from the series started and they brought back characters from all the previous films to form the Avengers-style superteam that defines the franchise now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

tvb posted:

This struck me as a cool sort of characterization for Brian, almost, just because the past few movies have established his fighting style as being really well adapted to close-quarters combat. Characters like Dom and Hobbs are great in fights because they're so big and strong that they just cause ridiculous amounts of collateral damage -- pretty much every fight one/both of them are in ends up destroying the entire set. Brian's fights, like the two with Jaa, the one on the flatbed in the Fast Five train chase, or the one in the prison cell in Fast Six, all show that he's really nimble, he takes advantage of his environment, and he can hold his own in a tight space even when he's way outnumbered. It was cool to see that they maintained that consistency in Seven.

They reproduce this with the choices in cars too. Brian prefers quick and maneuverable Japanese tuner cars while Dom has always been associated with American muscle. The Rock shows up in his APC, while you know poo poo is going down with Owen Shaw when he comes in with some crazy F1-style poo poo with anti-vehicle gadgets

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also, did anyone notice the 2-second shot of Dom using the NOS in the climax?

I was waiting the entire movie for NOS to come into play. It has been the only constant throughout the entire series, really

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ice Cube and Adam Scott!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cole posted:

those cars took like 8 minutes to go a quarter mile

Maybe they just wanted to savor life.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The nonsense nature of all the setups is part of the charm. Like they're trying to rob enough money in 5 to start over... So they plan a heist that uses millions of dollars in vehicles and equipment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Honestly if Owen Shaw somehow survived 6 they should just bring Gisele back, hitting the tarmac at a high speed should probably be something an elite character in this world can survive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

WInnings from illegally gambling on an illegal street race aren't anywhere close to clean.

Race Wars seemed like a legitimate-looking enterprise. Racing in the city, though, yeah that's super-illegal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

teagone posted:

The Fast and Furious crew of Hobbs, Dom, and the Shaw brothers vs horror movie all-star team Jason, Freddy, Michael Meyers and Leatherface would be dope as gently caress.

Universal realizes that there's money to be had in getting in this "cinematic universe" business and just mashes all their properties together with F&F. Fighting Dracula and the Wolf Man? Jason Bourne joins the team?

Can a Dodge Charger outrun a T-Rex?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You know what DK stands for?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Where is Sean supposed to be in the new version of Han's death? In Tokyo Drift he was running toward the car as it exploded, there is no way he wouldn't have noticed Shaw blowup the car/casually walk away.

He fell through a dimensional portal and was lost for several years, just look at his face in the parking garage. Time has ravaged his once-youthful looks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The best part is the sequel is not just 2, but X2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

well why not posted:

People have always hypothesised about a 2space2furious (or lunar drift) movie but I think that's underestimating how much of the audience is car people who really get pumped about seeing real cars.

Elon Musk cameo in Fast 9, problem solved

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the first roughhousing between Roman and Brian in 2F2F is the prototype for Dom and Hobbs grappling in 5 drenched with ten gallons of sweat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There were a lot of things that dragged down this movie for me, including the stuff mentioned above, but after Elena got tied up and executed to teach a Dom a lessson I was basically checked out until some of the reveals at the end. That was both too grimdark and lazy writing for a series that has given its characters more credit and agency than that poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And I think going the supervillain route was not a good choice. I don't usually like Tropes-type stuff but what happened fit the definition of Fridging to a T except for an actual refrigerator.

I get the review that compared this film to the Die Another Day of the series, especially because Cipher feels like a villain straight out of the lower-tier Brosnan bonds. I loved the previous films, even the ones that were jankier, because in between the crazy poo poo the character interaction and banter was just fun to watch and heartfelt. With Fate, the cool parts are still cool, but the rest of the film feels like filler to get to the cool parts in a way that the previous ones never did

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will say that the most joy I got out of this film is any time the Rock or Jason Statham did anything, especially that sequence that was basically Mile High Club from Modern Warfare except with a baby. I would not be opposed to an Odd Couple-style action spinoff with those two

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's beef between Vin and the Rock, right? I remember seeing a tweet that points out there are basically only like a half dozen shots where the two are physically in the same frame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I like how they attempted to avoid that in 7 since no one is in downtown LA at night. But that happening in the middle of the day in New York would be catastrophic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You know, considering what happens in 8, what if Deckard actually did the same thing in 7...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah maybe to not kill him. But smiling and joking around like bros? Not so much

I just feel like the "family" we see at the end feels way more contrived than in previous films. Letty, of course. The Rock, sure. But Tej and Roman always felt more like Brian's guys. I don't know why Ramsay stuck around, and also she can't drive, and Tej already has godlike hacking skills. Mr. Nobody is just their mission-giver. Fake Brian isn't even a full character. And then yeah, that guy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

It's really not that weird: To the Family, Brian and Mia and Dom's nephew are as good as dead. It's unlikely they can have any contact with Dom and the crew. They're probably under some sort of witness protection or hidden away. Remember that the Family is now the world's most dangerous terrorist organization, an often unwilling asset of the Deep State (and it is unclear whom, if anyone, Mr. Nobody answers to) that has violated the national sovereignty of numerous global powers and probably wouldn't hesitate to kidnap them if they felt it necessary. Plus they have pissed off pretty much every major criminal organization in the world.

A more cynical reading is that Brian and Mia have outlived their usefulness as racers (and people, really) and now need to settle down to raise the patriarch's nephew. The Family, like the real life film production, revolves around the whims of Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and what you can do for him.

Agreed. I mean this is basically the thematic underpinning of Elena's death, once she produced an heir she had outlived her usefulness except to die as an incitement for Dom's vengeance.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lobok posted:

I dunno, a guy who thinks family is that important might not be above polygamy.

You know, there was another famous historical figure that really put an emphasis on Family with a capital F

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The "formula" is that a great director was able to make a spinoff of a series that had sputtered, and put enough style and characterization in it to draw the attention of the franchise stakeholders to do a follow-up that surprised everyone with its box office explosion. This allowed that director and the star to craft a film bringing together a bunch of varied characters with a history and legacy that fans appreciated, the same way that the comic book films draw upon audience recognition. The difference is that history came entirely organically from how schizophrenic the styles of each of the previous films were, and putting them all together was a high-risk undertaking that required a master of the craft.

This is not a "formula" anyone can recreate except with time travel and/or a transcendent AI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Both Jurassic Park and Fast and Furious are Universal properties, they are the most likely to fight each other. Also the Universal Monsters (Dracula/Wolfman/Mummy/Frankenstein/Creature from the Black Lagoon)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Barudak posted:

Technology in the FF universe appears to have undergone a hyper improvement where in the same year that iPods could be sold on the street for good money a dude is talking on an 6th generation touch screen phone and within months is attempting to steal spy tech so unbelievably powerful compared to our world it may well be magic.

F&F takes place in an alternate timeline where Japan was legally placed under a technological regression order after WWII. This is also why cops can't chase speeders

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think it was Tolstoy who said something about unhappy families

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's gonna be like the James Bond series where there's gonna be some weird fork of films fighting over the legacy.

Los Bandoleros 2 vs. #F9, maybe

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Maybe it's too much Justice League growing up but I really can't see Tyrese as Stewart.

Now Taye Diggs, on the other hand

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The family definitely feels incredibly artificial at this point. Ramsay hanging around for no reason. The ones always closest to Brian still there even when he wasn't

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What if Tej took the next step in his Hacker Evolution and entered The Grid?

Fast and Furious with lightcycles

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I forgot that Fast and Furious is a Universal property, so Tron is probably a no-go.

Tej and Roman Meet the Wolf Man, on the other hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You could tell in F8 that they were trying to position Mr. Nobody's underling as a Brian replacement and that bombed terribly, hate that guy please never bring him back

• Locked thread