Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Oh what a fantastic movie. It's great to see a series so shamelessly and so earnestly embracing what they are. It's a sad reminder of why Walker's death was actually a loss. They're dopey car chase movies, but they're loving great dopey car chase movies made by people determined to make the greatest, dopiest car chase movie they can. There were a few little winks and nods throughout, but nothing like the overly self aware, slightly ashamed constant "wink, wink, WINK. DYAGETTIT?" tone that Robert Rodriguez movies tend to have. It's also a masterclass in how to use a big cast and cameos in memorable, fun ways (gently caress you guys, the Rousey fight owned). Essentially, it's what the Expendables movies should be.
As we were getting to the end, I was thinking "man, Wan has done a great job, but he's still finding his feet. There's not been anything as amazing as the tank flip/catch in no.6." Then the Rock broke his cast by flexing really hard, took out a drone with an ambulance and looted its body for a minigun. It's one of the crowning moments of the series.

Also, I nearly teared up at the end. Bye Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's been a cameo/appearance by a regrettable contemporary musician in every film in the series. It's as much a tradition as Tyrese making terrible jokes and the Rock being oily.
1. Ja Rule
2. Ludacris (the least regrettable)
3. Bow Wow
4. Don Omar
5. Don Omar, Ludacris and Tyrese triple threat
6. Rita Ora
7. Iggy Azalea.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Tokyo Drift is such a bizarrely good movie. It's a movie that, by all logic, should be dreadful.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

And now we have four loving movies worth of context for everything that happens in it.

Did not expect that to happen when I saw it in 06.

I really want to go back to my 14 year old self and tell him that, in 2015, he'll be lined up to see Furious 7 opening night, and will have seen the last two in the cinema as well, and will be eagerly looking forward to the 8th, and just watch my younger self's head explode. I loving hated that movie at the time (mostly because of the sort of people who I thought liked it)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He fell through a dimensional portal and was lost for several years, just look at his face in the parking garage. Time has ravaged his once-youthful looks.
My friend lent over during the Tokyo scene and asked "Wait, didn't Tokyo Drift's plot involve iPods?"

There's kids now who don't even know what that is.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 3, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Wingard would be a good choice (though there's nothing to indicate how he'd do with a budget that big compared to his earlier works) I haven't seen The Signal and the other two choices hover between generic and bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
They're only about 12 years late on the send up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

duz posted:

Or at least give him a role in the Wonder Woman movie.

Just as Sung Kang, who is dating Wonder Woman.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Parker Lewis posted:

I knew there would be some sort of tribute at the end of F7 yet I still cried like a Goddamned baby during the Paul Walker montage.

I saw some people describe it as cashing in. Which suggests they don't know what that means. It was as classy and appropriate a send up as I think the medium is capable of. It was a great scene. A teenage girl cried, her friend made fun of her, but started crying halfway through doing so. It was sweet

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If it doesn't involve drifting in the rings of Saturn or dragging an asteroid I don't know why they'd loving bother. (I do not know much about astronomy)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fancy stats posted:

Fast X Fur10us: One last, last ride.

In space, obviously in space.

e: Fast Nein: the Fast and the Fuhrer, wherein the family travels back in time to defeat the Third Reich.

Drifting one of these stupid loving things is the finale we all need. It would prove that culture, art, sophistication, democracy, all of that poo poo was worth it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Also, nobody ever says "Samoan Hulk". Rome calls him the Hulk, Luda has him in his phone as Samoan Thor, and the London police captain calls him Captain America. It's one of my favorite pieces of goofy trivia

And if you combine the weight of the actors who play all three of those roles in the Avengers movies, you get the amount of chicken the Rock eats daily.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

I absolutely loved this. The entire time I was going "God, this is dumb, can't wait for the scene where he betrays them." Turns out he just wants Dom to not drink lovely beer.

Dom's terrible taste made my (mexican) girlfriend very upset.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Well family and family. Family family's most of family.
Family.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Adlai Stevenson posted:

It was one of my favorite aspects of the movie. I can't handle betrayal from Kurt Russell, not in this franchise at least

Doesn't he generally play trustworthy characters? It's to do with his face. It's a face I'd instinctively buy hardware from.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

I am upset at hearing that the horses were not involved in production, this movie franchise really needs some horse riding sequences.

Pfft, you can't hook a horse up to NOS

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

...or can you?

neigh.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I have the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

YEEEESSSSSSS

The MSJ posted:

His father was a man with no name. His name is probably Shepard 2.0.

https://twitter.com/FastFurious/status/719562051845275648
gently caress Scott Eastwood.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mandrel posted:

Scott Eastwood is one of the most handsome dudes I think I've ever seen but hoo he's been a terrible actor in everything I've seen him in (like, two things)

He's looks like a lazy 'create a character' in a video game.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
In space, there are no laws.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Swift and Aggrieved.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Every time I think this series has reached it's peak, I get proved dramatically loving wrong.

This is the greates poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Being the Rock seems loving exhausting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I really wanted that absurd Russian hovercraft. This is close enough.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

Dom evil and betraying the family?

Sold.

I was sold on the 'Insane Mad Max Fury Road style chase on ice.'

But yeah, that's good too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
These are now the best Avengers movies, Expendables movies and Mission Impossible movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CeeJee posted:

Final end boss.

That trailer was amazing in every way. It's got all the stuff we know and love and still throws in a bunch of huge twists with Helen Mirren's role still completely unknown.

I was thinking of this one. But, to be fair, I forgot about the one you posted.

The highlight of the series to me is Djimon Honsou yelling 'WHAT?' with increasing disbelief as the insanity gets ratcheted up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

What's a Tawnee Stone-class ?

I'm a big fan of how Roman is constantly nagging O'Connor to ignore Eva Mendes' character. It comes across as so jealous I'd be amazed if this was unintentional. In the other films, he's usually designated the 'distraction' - does this mean that O'Connor finds him 'impossible to ignore' ?

edit: Tyrese is a twice-over NY Times bestselling author?!!?

Tyrese was once super stoked because someone was sharing heaps of his music on Twitter. Some very nice super fan called 'Pandora.'

It was not a person.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think the most revealing thing about this film is that wrecking ball scene, with a dozen cars being pancaked by it in a moment. In the lastest Bourne movie, the one with the really imaginitive title, there's a comparable stunt that's the high point of the climatic car chase (and it's bloody spectacular) in this, it's in the first twenty seconds of the first trailer.

I cannot loving wait.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

No, this is the best thing they could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

John Woo's 'A Better Tomorrow 2' pulls this exact trick completely straight faced. Chow Yun Fat shows up as the twin brother of the character from the first film. He looks, talks, acts and fights exactly like his brother.

Early John Woo was so gloriously stupid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
You can see the two dynamics clash in the Dubai scenes in 7, where mostly naked women covered in gold paint are juxtaposed with Ronda Rousey and women who totally aren't Qaddafi's amazons throwing down with Michelle Rodriguez.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, I'll bet getting the word 'bro' into a script that many times is really hard.

It's a fun film, but to me, it's the second weakest entry, after the fourth, which is neither interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor fun eough to be Fast Five.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

The best part of 4 is the street race which is the best straight up racing scene in the series.

That is a good scene, unfortunately there's the rest of the movie around it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah and the climax isn't exactly thrilling, cars driving through a tunnel. They've come a long way since then.

That last chase should be great on paper, but in practice you just end up staring at a spoiler while a CGI wall goes past, then a reaction shot. Repeat for ten minutes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about 4 and 7 (and 6, although to a much lesser extent) just feels off compared to the rest of the series. They feel soulless.

I sort of know what you mean in regards to 7. I think it's represented well in the action scenes. That Caucasus chase scene in the mountains is amazing, but never quite hits the highs of something like Fury Road. It's by no means bad, but it just never gels as well as the vault scene, or the tank scene or the runway chase. There's something ineffably off about its pacing and energy.

4 is just weak as hell. It's not interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor insane enough to be Rio Heist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

7, to me, honestly had the most heart of any of them. The Walker stuff got me choked up all three times I saw it in the theater.

That was actually amazing. I didn't expect one of the most sincere and beautiful cinema moments of the year to come in a movie where the Rock kills a drone with an ambulance.

Actually, the more I think about it, it's really just the action scenes that are off. But I'm not going to hold that against Wan. The rythmn behind an action scene is something that takes a really long time to get right. Chan's a master, as is Miller, and, astonishingly, Lin, but the pacing of any action scene is really hard to get. It's so easy for it to end up feeling either so frantic (like Taken 3, for instance) or so languid (like The Force Awakens) that it loses all impact. 7 isn't nearly as bad as either of them, but it isn't 6.

Some goon on here had the remarkable and believable fact that the runway chase took Lin well over a year to fully plan out, how all the pieces in play interacted with each other, never mind film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The felt like one of those old trailers where they'd just show a bunch of the movie more or less uninterrupted, rather than the ultra slick editing of modern trailers. It wasn't as well cut as the first one, but hints at some loving insane set pieces.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Penpal posted:

Some people are having meltdowns that this movie did as well as it did. That it's a litmus test for society, and society done goofed. Meltdown might be hyperbolic but there are people not happy about the haul.

I've noticed the people having this reaction are the type to ding a movie for not being "realistic", talk about "cringing" when discussing the melodramatic aspects of the story, and I'm assuming had the lens through which they judge film shaped by YouTube personalities

The same thing happens when a new Transformers movie comes out. Their success is a sign that society is coming to an end and not a sign that peopl like it when stuff blows up real good. There's one of each coming out this year, so I'm going to have a good time reading meltdowns.

Mierenneuker posted:

Some would argue that Scott Eastwood is a terrible looking CGI Paul Walker already.

I've hated him ever since I saw a pic of him lighting a cigar with a zippo.

This movie was cool. It's not as well crafted as number 6, but that is the peak of the series in every way, and one of the best action movies of the last several years. There was plenty of insanity and cool set pieces though. The thousands of cars dropping out of the carpark was amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dexo posted:

Also that would put 3 hackers/techs in the family and who the gently caress needs that.

Well, jsut diversify so you have one healer, a dark wizard and white wizard.

I don't know how DnD works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also a dopey car chase series that managed to attract a serious piece of talent in Justin Lin, who was really hot property. If anyone hasn't seen it, Better Luck Tomorrow is fantastic.

So, you'd need an easily dismissed franchise taken up by some brilliant young auteur who, against all wisdom, threw the full weight of his talent at this ridiculous project, and stuck with it for years, seeing it develop. I guess you could say that Disney is trying that with Star Wars, seeing as Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow are doing Star Wars films, but they're doing one each, rather than the franchise becoming their baby.

On top of that, no matter how ridiculous the films, you'd need to be completely sincere in your work.

Yeah, there's not really a formula here.

• Locked thread