Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

About the beach scene: I honestly couldn't tell if they had shot that earlier and just rewrote it for all the other characters to essentially be eulogizing him, or if that was shot later and it was not-Paul filling in.

Yeah, nothing looked as obnoxious as CG Schwarzenegger so there were never any moments when I was taken out of the film and thought "oh god this looks HORRIBLE" or anything like that.

From what I could tell it's the whole beach scene, and there's one or two inserts where it looks like they've used a double and some CGI. There's nothing too glaring though and it's all pretty brief. Honestly, I don't mind admitting that it got me. Like the beach scene was one thing and it's like OK, this is a sweet sendoff, but then the part afterwards took me out.

Overall I liked it a lot, even though it's too long. So, a couple of quick notes:

- The Rock is so knowingly fun that it makes it worse when he's used so sparingly.
- Lucas Black does not look as young as he did in Tokyo Drift.
- Diesel seems to act as though he's constantly on the verge of falling asleep.
- The script lays it on way too thick sometimes. Almost impossibly so.
- The Mountain chase is a brilliant scene, start to finish. It's a chase scene that has a clear sense of geography, character and action. It's a shame that it comes so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

GraPar posted:

Loved this movie. I did find it funny that most of this movie is about them trying to get a thing that will let them find out where Shaw is, but Shaw just keeps on popping up every single goddamn place they go to. You probably don't need that God's Eye, guys!

One great thing about this series - does a fantastic job of folding in new actors and making them feel part of it. Statham, Russell, Jaa and especially Djimon loving Hounsou all killed it in this.

The funny thing is that Dom explains this to Mr Nobody as a reason why he shouldn't have to do the job, and he ends up being basically right anyway.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I never heard him say it but I saw that name in a couple of reviews I read too.

It sounds like press packs etc identified him with that name, so that's what IMDB and some reviewers went with. I can't remember how the credits at the end list him though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

That last Tony Jaa fight, in any other movie, would be worth the full price of admission, but I love that in this it's just another badass scene among dozens and hardly gets mentioned. The bit where they slide down the stairs on the door was beautifully choreographed and foreshadowed.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread how underrated Paul Walker's stagefighting skills were, but it's worth saying again. It was actually kinda-sorta believable that he could beat Tony loving Jaa in a fistfight.

It's worth mentioning, because I read so many comments that were along the lines of 'As if Paul Walker could take on Tony Jaa' and it's like, as presented in this movie he really could. They find a great balance of making Jaa the better fighter but Walker being just about able to keep up.

Compare it for example to the fight in I think 5, where Rock and Diesel go at it and it's clear that Rock would murder Diesel (Who is at his chubbiest) but they expect us to accept that it's an equal fight.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

duz posted:

Star Trek (1)3 is set for release in July 2016 so Lin could possibly be available for 8.

I don't know that he would do it. He likes to take his time, which is why he bowed out of Part 7. Unless Lin does pre-production on 8 while working on Star Trek but since that's going to be a hard shoot as well I don't think he's going to go from one straight to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's funny, on Birth Movies Death they mention that Gray and Diesel didn't get along way back when they did A MAN APART, which makes me wonder if Diesel has just clashed with everyone he's worked with.

• Locked thread