Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Harrow posted:

I do not understand amiibos. I Googled them and also Wikipedia'd them and I still don't get it.

This video should explain everything you need to know about Amiibos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKR-9b98JkU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

THE PENETRATOR posted:

post the tweets negro

It's nothing really that interesting on its own. Some people complained about one of the bits of text a backer put in the game, Obsidian agreed and admitted that it shouldn't have made it through QA, and it was quietly patched out.

Then the usual Let's Play pantshitters started making GBS threads their pants and sending out rape threats over it because it's censorship and political correctness gone mad and the developers are obviously just bowing down to the threats of the feminazi shadow cabal.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

quote:

twitter

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Please stop paying attention to Adam Bowen.

Accordion Man posted:

What's with games making the scrubbiest outcomes canon? If you didn't massacre every MJ12 goon there you should just stop playing games.

Invisible War made all of its predecessor's endings canon and it was the worst game, ergo the new game making all of its predecessor's endings non-canon means it will be the best game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Wow, that's actually going to start being a Thing in video games now, isn't it?

Particularly in series with voice actors who do TV voice work or in series that employ celebrities, casting is going to determine whether they can bring characters back sometimes. Obviously not like Charles Martinet, which is sort of a Mel Blanc situation, and anyway, he'll do it forever and he has a lot of life left in him.

From what I understand a lot of video game voice work is non-union so I don't think there's anything stopping them from using a sound-alike or a new voice entirely. Even something as high-profile as Kingdom Hearts swapped out voice actors due to people dropping out in between installments, like Billy Zane voicing Ansem in the first game and Richard Epcar voicing him in every other one.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bloodychill posted:

Best MGS cast was original MGS complete with vaguely racist Mei Ling for the James Bond appeal. poo poo was silly but fun.

I love how slapdash that entire setup was, most of the voice actors performed under pseudonyms because it was non-union gig and they were recording in somebody's apartment so when it came time for The Twin Snakes the original recordings were unusable because you could hear cars passing by in the background of the recordings.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Running With Scissors has a Tumblr, further highlighting the absurdity of Goons' continued war against one of the biggest and most varied sites in existence.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pablo Gigante posted:

Today is my birthday, I beat the Stray Demon in Dark Souls. Then I went out for a drink and met the Tree Man who was in the second season finale of Broad City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JnYnA9Tzo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A Spider Covets posted:

following the angry birds theme, i think there should be a thread about birds in games, comparing their AI and textures and stuff to see which one is the best.

My favorite gaming birds were the ones in Rogue Squadron Episode One: Battle for Naboo because due to fuckery with the game's engine they counted as enemy units so you could pad out your score by shooting them down and when you did they would burst into flames and explode.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy poo poo, it's the real life version of the Comic Book guy from the Simpsons.

If you think about it, GameStop is a microcosm of the entire games industry: a place that's terrible to work at and requires a lot more stress and personal involvement than most comparable jobs in the same field, so the people it attracts are uniformly awful because any sane and competent person can get better pay for less work elsewhere.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Yes it is. The Order is incredibly boring and the combat is ball-numbingly mediocre. When your game has Nikola Tesla giving you weapons and the best he can do is a gun that lights gas on fire that you use in like, one level, you hosed up. Where's my arc cannon or steampunk railgun or anything interesting at all other than "handguns, machine guns, rifles"?!

Oh hey I watched that one Red Letter Media video about the game too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I haven't played The Order but the huge amount of backlash against it seems to be a reaction to the marketing more than anything else: if it had quietly come out with little fanfare nobody would have really cared but since the developers were running at the mouth about it being a revolution in cinematic storytelling and Sony tried to market it as a tentpole game people got really worked up at a game that was mostly just forgettably mediocre.

It wasn't even that much fun to mock after thethe Xbox One's continuing trainwreck of broken and microtransaction-riddled first-party offerings.

precision posted:

RLM does video game reviews now? Huh? :confused:

It's called Previously Recorded and it's all on YouTube, it's pretty hit-or-miss (Mike and Jay aren't really into video games so it's hosted by Rich Evans and Cancer Patient Moby) but their episode of The Order: 1886 has some good laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG0zJ89Fv8c

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StashAugustine posted:

idk, i think it just might be that it was hyped up a bunch?

It's important to remember that when discussing media on the internet there is no such thing as "good" or "bad", only continuous fluctuations between "overrated" and "underrated".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The first time I ever played Bulletstorm I was shitfaced and it made the opening level where you play as a drunk space rear end in a top hat wreaking havoc on a space ship that much greater.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Great Joe posted:

None of this is discussing cool guy video game Bulletstorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCcl0Ppmbl8

Which, may I remind you, has the second-coolest demo in gaming.

The demo is funny but the final game is guilty of every other FPS cliche it makes fun of.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Even I, a person posting on an internet message board on a Saturday night, am not gonna sit through a 10 minute youtube sight-unseen. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCWQcZYKo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

no. it's just a game about lovely references, like, whoa, turtles jump out of the sewer and theyre ninjas????!????

But sometimes instead of referencing old video games it'll do references to sick internet memes like Epic Meal Time or just copy the opening heist to The Dark Knight but, get this, instead of The Joker it's The Jester :xd:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

theultimo posted:

Evidently Alan Wake remaster and sequel from what I've heard

I really don't know what the demand is for this. Alan Wake's American Nightmare was the developers pretty much admitting that nobody had any interest in the franchise and hastily concluding the story in a small downloadable title where you replay the same three maps three times and then you defeat the vast otherworldly dark presence forever by turning on a movie projector. :effort:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I am anticipating Quantum Break out of morbid curiousity because the more time and effort Remedy dedicates to FMV the worse the final product is: Max Payne 2's TV shows were just narration over still images and they were all pretty fun and compelling, the episodes of Night Springs in Alan Wake were OK if not a little cheesy, Mr. Scratch doing his wanna-be Joker monologues to player in American Nightmare was :rolleyes:, and now Quantum Break is literally a TV show so...

CJacobs posted:

One of the only major issues I had with that game was how drat long it took to burn the darkness away from enemies, and the latter definitely fixed that.

If you played it on PC this is because the developers bumped all the difficulty levels up compared to the console versions. They said it was because PC gamers need extra challenge because of the advantage KB+M gives over a gamepad, but in execution it just makes the enemies tedious bullet sponges.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, imagine this: Alan Wake: Secure, Contain, and Protect.

"There was something disturbingly familiar about the note on the desk. The handwriting was all pretty curves."

You're in a creepypasta, Max.

"The truth was like a photo-realistic picture of my family's skeletons flashing on the TV screen of my brain. The inconsistent supernatural elements. The unsatisfying conclusions and abrupt endings. The awkward self-inserts. The paranoid feeling that my every action was being told and retold hundreds of times across the internet."

"I was in a creepypasta. Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would play this.

If this was a few console generations ago we'd be getting an actual full-blown Paul Blart game, now they're probably just making an endless runner where you play as Paul Blart on his Segway.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When I was a kid I had nightmares from the giant Walter Matthau who chases you down and carries you away while scowling at the player through the television screen in the Dennis the Meance (1993) tie-in game on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOgaKTZHAIQ&t=109s

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

This really happened.

CJacobs posted:

I am really pushing #Blartcore games for Q2 2015. Paul Blart but it's a messy physics simulator where you tumble Kevin James head over heels toward piles of delicious donuts forever. There is no mall copping to be done.

#PaulerBlartydeux

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Adam Bowen posted:

I think a Paul Blart game that's basically a mix of Bully, LA Noire, and Dead Rising would own hard

The final mission involves him blasting his way through the border patrol as he rides his Segway down to Mexico to track down his estranged wife who married him for a green card and left him with a daughter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bloodychill posted:

Almost as scary as Walter Matthau.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Taint Reaper posted:

That was just a cocktease but nothing memorable as far as trainwrecks go.

E3 has been pretty disappointing trainwreck-wise ever since E3 2010 was such an amazing trainwreck and drew so much mockery that they just started pre-recording everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFnexW3-58c

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ekster posted:

As long as any piece of medium is grimdark all of its embarassing unnecessary sexual content will be justified.

See also Game of Thrones.

Well duh, if you don't praise and defend the pointless sex then how can you show everybody how enlightened and above it all you are?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All the modders pulling a complete 180 on ownership and DRM now that they stand to profit from it is pretty great.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Quest For Glory II posted:

Important gifs i just made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYtH28esTg

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ekster posted:

Pretty sure all dogs are white underneath their fur.

It needed to be said.

Except for chows, they're blue.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

pre-order just cause 3 and get cars with guns on them

or you could just shoot your gun from the window of a normal car th-that's fine too

hmmm i wonder if all the fun stuff will be added in paid mods??????

You say this as if Just Cause 2 didn't already make the jetpack parachute pre-order DLC.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

Borderlands 2 writer Anthony Burch chimes in on Silent Hills' cancellation without even a hint of self-awareness as usual

If literally everything Del Toro has made since Pan's Labyrinth is any indication the game would have been terrible without Kojima to balance him out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cardboard Box A posted:

You're steam anime surprise

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365170/

There's now a Wakfu anime movie available to purchase on Steam. You might be wondering "since when does steam sell movies?" And apparently the answer is since last month when they started selling a Football Manager Documentary for $11 USD (yes really).

They've had Indie Game: The Movie for years and even added achievements and DLC to it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

oval office? Yeah he's definitely a oval office. I couldn't possibly think of some other word you would associate with anthony burch though, no idea

He pisses off gamergaters to the point where any mention of him or Borderlands will make a squad of hellthread regulars show up and start passive-aggressively making references to him being cheated on, so he's not all bad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zombies' Downfall posted:

how do people know this much about a person who isn't a close friend or family member

People hated him for his writing, then they hated him even more because he apologized for his writing. Also he has more sex than them and is more successful in the games industry than they'll ever be, which the bitter dregs of the internet rationalize away by angrily declaring that he has the wrong kind of sex and works on the wrong kind of games so it doesn't count.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bloodychill posted:

people who make games are often creative and smart people who are also stupid, egotistical fucks who say and do dumb things after making good video games and it is fine to mock them for it and watch the hubris unwind in great fashion. see: anthony burch, brad wardell, hideo kojima

i agree, however if you follow somebody with a Chris Chan-like fervor for years and the worst you can mock them for is "got hit on at a bar", "isn't a perfect 0 on the Kinsey Scale", and "has had several girlfriends" maybe it's time to focus some of that fury inwards for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Eonwe posted:

The ps2 got games for almost the whole ps3 lifecycle

A good deal of that was the lovely stripped-down Wii versions of multiplat games being ported to ps2 sans waggle controls because why not.

• Locked thread