Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Drone posted:

Can you post links to those budget decks you mentioned? I'm googling for stuff like "mech Mage" and getting like 20 different decks with that description.

The hearthstone theard is a better place for this but:

Cog master x2
Mechincal gnome x2
Mech warper x2
Mirco machine x2
Unstable portal x2
Frostbolt x2
Flame cannon x2
Annoy-o-tron x2
Spider mech x2
Harvest golem x2
Arcane intellect
Piloted shredder x2
Mechanical yeti x2
Kezan mystic
Fireball x2
Goblin blastmage x2

Mulligan for one mana minions and two mana minions. Toss any spells or 3+ cost cards.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Drone posted:

That, and there's no MtG analog to what Hearthstone offers as a gaming experience on PC and mobile. Sure, there's the Duels of the Planeswalkers games, but 2015 was railroady and awful, and MtG Online costs (a lot of) real money and is probably awful for players who are new to the game.

There is Hex: Shards of Fate
http://hextcg.com/

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
It is impossible to build a good warrior deck in Hearthstone. gently caress i'm getting my rear end handed to me in every single bout. I can literally predict what cards my opponent will have and there's not a god drat thing i can do to stop their onslaught.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FillInTheBlank posted:

There is Hex: Shards of Fate
http://hextcg.com/

Er, you know I was specifically talking about MtG, right? My point was that there are MtG video games, but they're generally not great (okay, Planeswalkers 2014 was fine, but it doesn't give you the "TCG" experience like MtG: Real Life Edition gives you)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shwqa posted:

The hearthstone theard is a better place for this but:

Cog master x2
Mechincal gnome x2
Mech warper x2
Mirco machine x2
Unstable portal x2
Frostbolt x2
Flame cannon x2
Annoy-o-tron x2
Spider mech x2
Harvest golem x2
Arcane intellect
Piloted shredder x2
Mechanical yeti x2
Kezan mystic
Fireball x2
Goblin blastmage x2

Mulligan for one mana minions and two mana minions. Toss any spells or 3+ cost cards.

Dumped this into a hearthhead deck builder link for easier use: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=105239/mech-mage

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I highly recommend dropping into the Hearthstone GDT thread in the Blizzard Subforum to get good info on decks and strategy. Spreading out posts over the iOS and Android thread is going to be less efficient then just checking that thread's OP and then hopping in to the discussion with any questions you have, there are plenty of new players in that thread so it isn't an old boys club by any means.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Wizards did announce magic duels: origins recently. It comes put on July and replaces duels of the planeswalkers. Instead of new versions very year, it just updates when a new set comes out. There's single player and in game currency to buy cards with, and i think you can pay real money too. It's pretty much the best mtg game.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

It's pretty much the best mtg game.

1998 Duels of the Plainswalkers

:colbert:

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 19, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Elblanco posted:

Wizards did announce magic duels: origins recently. It comes put on July and replaces duels of the planeswalkers. Instead of new versions very year, it just updates when a new set comes out. There's single player and in game currency to buy cards with, and i think you can pay real money too. It's pretty much the best mtg game.

Will it have actual freeform deck building? That's literally all I want. And no, MTG Online is not the same.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

Will it have actual freeform deck building? That's literally all I want. And no, MTG Online is not the same.

Duels 2015 had deck building. Most still consider it by far the worst entry in the series, which is reflected in its poor sales and reviews.

I am not optimistic about Duels: Origins.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I can't imagine they'd make the mistake of only allowing you one deck to use twice because wowee zowee that is dumb. Glad I skipped it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Magic the gathering online will always suck because they are too scared of damaging the physical card sales.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

1998 Duels of the Plainswalkers

:colbert:

Is this the one where you walked around on an over world and saved cities and fought various monsters and stuff?

I miss that game so much.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wagic.. get Wagic.
Its freeform deck building. I dont know of the android version has improved bit when I played it last it took getting use to as the ui was based on psp controls

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lowness 72 posted:

Is this the one where you walked around on an over world and saved cities and fought various monsters and stuff?

I miss that game so much.

There's a patch available that'll let you run it on a modern machine. It also adds cards, updates the graphics and a bunch of other stuff. I don't know if linking to it is :filez: but it's called "Shandalar 2012".

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Niton posted:

Apparently The Enchanted Cave 2 came out yesterday, a few months after its kickstarter.The original was a pretty great, if short, flash game rogue-lite, and the Kongregate demo of the second promises more of the same.

I played the original on Kongregate, and enjoyed it. Played this there, too. It's a pretty darned good roguelike. I'm waiting for the Steam version, personally, but you can't go wrong with getting this version.

Knowing me, I'll probably end up with both.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
If you're on the PC and jonesing that badly, seriously give Hex a shot. It does enough differently from MTG to be interesting but is so close to it mechanically that a MTG player can learn it almost immediately. I mean "hit with an infringement lawsuit" close.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

MPLS to NOLA posted:

willus was right, though I don't regret yelling at him (it's a simple pleasure of mine)

I'm going to produce some words about Siralim, because I'm enjoying playing it thanks to it's aforementioned f2p nonsense (unbelievable grind for its eleven different kinds of resources, showering you with ever higher numbers and near-useless gewgaws) and also because it has decided to randomly(?) generate the most annoying encounter in the universe over and over presumably forever.

The packs I'm fighting are 5 large at this stage and commonly include the Siren Coercer, Lich Overseer and Pit Worm Gladiator. S/o to multiple Skeleton Marksmen. What this means: a field of enemies who reduce your only renewable means of doing damage to them by a flat 60% or move to the front of the turn order 20% of the time any action is taken by each of the 10 monsters in play. They're supported by a monster who provides at the start of battle to every friendly a buff that prevents all damage from a single source one time, and also (rarely) uses a resurrection spell instead of attacking. They're also supported by a monster who when killed raises other dead monsters on the field with 60% max hp (50% chance, rolled individually). This ability fires each time it is killed.

Did you select the random creature tier upon start up? Also spend your granite on more creature tier upgrades so that that you'll be fighting more kinds of enemy.

e: It isn't really f2p if you only pay once for the game and there are no cash options at all.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Hi! I've just switched over from iphone to android.

What games should I be picking up here that I wouldn't have had a chance to play over there?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

wall monitor posted:

What games should I be picking up here that I wouldn't have had a chance to play over there?

Pixel Dungeon is about the only great Android exclusive I know of. The vast majority of games start on iOS then come to Android later.

I feel like we're starting to catch up though. More games seem to be released on both simultaneously these days.

Farquar fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 20, 2015

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Summoners War is a great Pokemon/team battle clone. It gets grindy if you want to excel, but the production values are great for a mobile game and it's very generous about earning free premium currency. Definitely not pay to win. You can drop $100 on summons and still get hosed by the RNG.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Regarding the lack of Civ games on Android: is it worth mentioning Freeciv?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

wall monitor posted:

If you got a samsung you can download their "free app" app and use the free trial to get:
Dungeon villlage
Game developers story
Machinarium

Then the amazon app has a free daily app.

After that I went for Pocket knights and hearthstone for my f2p fix. I know I sound like the worst gamer, but my ipad already has all the premium apps I want.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 20, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out, this time showcasing developer Tin Man Games' adventure gamebooks. The games this time are:

An Assassin in Orlandes
Siege of the Necromancer
Slaves of Rema
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Sultans of Rema (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Caverns of the Snow Witch (beat the average)
Curse of the Assassin (beat the average)
Trial of the Clone (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller (pay $9 or more)
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be (pay $9 or more)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

FredMSloniker posted:

Eh - I gave it a spin and wasn't terribly impressed, personally.

For my Civ-in-my-pocket fix, I've got vanilla Civilization 2, running in Windows 3.11, running in DosBox Turbo, running on my Galaxy S3. :getin:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out, this time showcasing developer Tin Man Games' adventure gamebooks.

Anyone have an experience with these?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out, this time showcasing developer Tin Man Games' adventure gamebooks. The games this time are:

An Assassin in Orlandes
Siege of the Necromancer
Slaves of Rema
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Sultans of Rema (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Caverns of the Snow Witch (beat the average)
Curse of the Assassin (beat the average)
Trial of the Clone (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller (pay $9 or more)
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be (pay $9 or more)

I bought this and all the download links are not working (previous Humble Bundles worked fine). :\

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

Unless you're really familiar with Civ 2, it's got quite a learning curve and little to no tutorial to speak of. And considering that game is almost 20 years old at this point, it's entirely possible that a lot of people won't have any clue how to play. Plus general UI clunkiness and, let's be honest, graphics so old school that they impact playability, especially on a smaller screen. Not a lot of points in its favor. That said, if you are already familiar with it, it's certainly playable. Just... not great.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FredMSloniker posted:

The game itself is fine, but the UI is atrocious on a tablet and there's no explanation for what buttons do what in the game. If you're already pretty familiar with playing Freeciv in a browser it's probably okay, but not really ideal.

I'd play the crap out of it if they just made it more tablet-friendly though.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
drat it. As soon as I get another quiz to give me the $0.09 that I needed to buy Hitman GO, it's gone back to full price :(

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
FYI, the two tales of Illyria games (fallen knight, beyond the iron wall) are on sale currently. They're like a cross between an early final fantasy battle system and an Oregon trail resource management system, but with a campaign and a ton of random events. I really like them. Also, they are one of the few good RPGs I've played that are android exclusive, if that matters to people.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
Is anyone playing 'Prison Life RPG'?

You select one of many different prisoners and have to survive your sentence before getting released. You can join gangs, extort people, shank people, craft drugs, take part in boxing matches and drop the soap in the shower amongst other things. You start with the choice of about 10 characters and as you 'complete' the game with them you have access to more with longer prison sentences. In longer sentences you can work towards making an escape plan. It seems pretty deep for a mobile game and lighthearted considering the subject matter.

My latest character is trying to kill as many people as I can. I'm already on death row and good friends with the guard running solitary confinement. I've only got a few days before I get executed and I'm using it saving money to get my lawyer to rescue me with a helicopter.

Anyway it's £2.99/$3.99 with no IAP, seems to have a decent level of replayability.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
To whoever recommended Hungry Cat Picross, drat you, and also great recommendation. It now pretty much eats up all my free time, and in fact is the only game in which I've purchased a 'remove ads' option.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
Real Racing 3 just got updated with a "Racing Team" feature which I guess is like clans. There's one with the tag LLJK if anyone wants in.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Morpheus posted:

To whoever recommended Hungry Cat Picross, drat you, and also great recommendation. It now pretty much eats up all my free time, and in fact is the only game in which I've purchased a 'remove ads' option.

It surprised the hell out of me, too. I wish I could say the same about the other game of theirs I tried, Puzzle Forge 2. It's an interesting one, but I just don't have the patience to force myself to get decent at that type of planning/puzzle game.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Morpheus posted:

It's really great, worth paying to remove ads. There was a recent update that gave out a ton of the 3X3 weekly puzzles.

I just wish it was optimized for android a bit better. It makes my phone really hot which then drains the batteries.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ohvee posted:

It's really great, worth paying to remove ads. There was a recent update that gave out a ton of the 3X3 weekly puzzles.

I just wish it was optimized for android a bit better. It makes my phone really hot which then drains the batteries.

I recently picked up a Galaxy S6 after my last Nexus 4 came down with a serious case of gravity, so pretty much everything runs silky smooth (Hearthstone included) and makes me a terrible source of information on how well things run. Since I was stuck with my old Nexus S until the S6 came out for about a month, it means I'm catching up with a few titles that I may have missed lately.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oz Fox posted:

Real Racing 3 just got updated with a "Racing Team" feature which I guess is like clans. There's one with the tag LLJK if anyone wants in.

I'll join up, I"ve played it on and off a bunch and wouldn't mind playing with other goon-minded people.. I get bored becuase I have no real people to race against etc.
edit: blah maybe I never played RR3, cant find any profile with real things in it.. Maybe I was playing RR2

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 21, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

vmdvr posted:

FYI, the two tales of Illyria games (fallen knight, beyond the iron wall) are on sale currently. They're like a cross between an early final fantasy battle system and an Oregon trail resource management system, but with a campaign and a ton of random events. I really like them. Also, they are one of the few good RPGs I've played that are android exclusive, if that matters to people.

Should they be played in order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Haerc posted:

Anyone have an experience with these?

The gamebook engine they have is solid, though not fancied up like how Inkle does. Bookmarks, rolls dice for you, yada yada.

The only gamebook in that collection that i've played heavily is To Be Or Not To Be, which is a bit of an exception in that it's not a game at all, just a traditional Choose Your Own Adventure. However, it's both a really lengthy and, more importantly, a really GOOD choose your own adventure, it's by the guy who makes Dinosaur Comics. (I actually have the physical book the app is based on.)