Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

I swear this question probably gets asked in both app threads a lot but what are the recommendations on deck building games. Already know about Hearthstone. I got Ascension too. How's Card Crawl? Also I don't mind paid apps.

Card crawl is both really good and totally not a deck building game. The deck is always the same barring some unique ability cards, and represents a dungeon with treasure and monsters and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Galaxy Trucker is different but I think anyone who likes the one will like the other.

I like FTL and dislike galaxy trucker, fwiw. The latter is too negative/destructive for my tastes.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

What's a decent offline roguelike, or decent deck building game besides Guild of Dungeoneering?

Meteorfall is OK if a bit shallow, Card Quest is great but not really deckbuilding-as-you-play.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pleasantly surprised by Card Monsters. Fun little card game with a poo poo-ton of secondary activities. Also gives extremely generous to free players so far (I've played off an on for a week).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

As if we had a choice.

:golfclap:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Slay the Spire isn't that great compared to some other actual card games on the market not to mention some of the other similar card-based mobile phone pseudo-roguelike games.
Which ones please, I need more games.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot, that's a great list, and I really appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately our tastes don't line up at all, I've played most of the games you listed, and think Slay the Spire is way more fun than any of them, with only Mini Rogue coming close. I think it boils down to how simple/elegant a game should be to enjoy; or perhaps how much of a game's enjoyment derives from the pure mechanical interactions vs. bespoke content (with Slay leaning more on the latter).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

I don’t really think there’s a solo deck builder as good as Slay the Spire, but for me Card Quest comes the closest. It’s more of a series of “how can I get an engine going which lets me combo or block every enemy so I take no damage” puzzles, and the deck building is all at the start. Mechanically (eg deck build as you go) Card Crawl, Solitairica (and other games by that dev), and Meteorfall are all closer to StS.

I love Card Quest, but it definitely doesn't scratch the same itch as StS. Meteorfall is closer but has too little variety for my tastes, and I've in general soured quite a bit on Dreamquestlikes since StS showed that the enemies being predictable is just more fun than watching them flop cards during their turn. That's one of the things Card Quest does right.

Solitairica just has too many awful turns where the flops screw you to be fun for me. Also no deck of your own.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Florence is extremely cute, and you can read some interesting things in it. Acting like it's without value says more about you than the game.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah it seems super well done in the few games I have played so far.

I may have to delete it, this is wayyyy too addictive to have always in my pocket.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just letting Saveas do all the nuking for now with the usual supporting cast of tree friends (Namora, Tasi, Arden), and Brutus tanking. Once I hit Saveas' ceiling I guess I'll have to re-evaluate. Hopiong something good will drop before then.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the things that sets afk apart is that you genuinely can reconfigure your team to beat some encounters that were stopping you, plus they actually make it pretty cheap and easy to experiment, unlike say epic7 which charges you big bucks to move equipment around. I've pushed past several encounters by switching teams and it was a pretty cool feeling to go 'what if...' and see it work.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like 160 is basically the F2P cap in AFK Arena. To get past it would require... An absolutely ridiculous amount of stuff, and a lot of luck, especially since blue heroes cap out there.

Yeah that's rapidly approaching for me. It's still going to be breakable with some ridiculous luck but it's pretty unlikely to happen any time soon.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

Any tips for Hunter in Ulala? I feel like my DPS is lacking - I have 87k and am basically doing the same DPS as a 71k Warlock.

I may be missing something but how do you even check this? Eyeball the combat log? I've not seen any kind of dps meter type of thing.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Roid666 posted:

If you click the text below the map it gives you some more details about dps / skill order etc.

Oh drat, thanks!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the story side, Florence is short and sweet.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

I thought Florence was superficial and cloying at best, so YMMV.

I can understand that, but did you notice that there's some moments where your assumptions about who is performing the actions you're doing might strongly colour your reading of the scene/story? There's at least something to discuss there which takes it beyond a lot of computer game narratives already. Anyway, YMMV as you say.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Now that Eldar Scrolls is dead what are the good deck builders out there to satisfy my gambling, the lack of accounts in Teppen finally claimed me as a victim.

Eternal's the best on Android, I think.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

Don't forget that some forms of Christianity (especially Mormonism) believe black people are descendants of Cain and were cursed with black skin as a result of his murder of his brother.

I thought this usually was because of Ham, not Cain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_(son_of_Noah)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Soda Dungeon 2 chat - has anyone been able to crack the boss on dimension 8? It heals for 3.2k when HP gets low, I am nowhere near doing that much damage in a round. This doesn't seem like a problem that can be solved by grinding.

Current setup - thief, hunter, 2x carpenter, 2x nurse. The hunter may be a poor choice because 'mark' also increases how much enemies heal themselves, but this group handles everything up to that boss effectively.

It already got way too slow and grindy for me at dimension 4 to be honest.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Actually I was in Games just now doing my task and I didn't see it there, seems sus.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

edit2: I wonder if it's technically possible to beat every single seed

There's one almost certainly unwinnable one that's been identified

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/mjuibc/comment/gtckddh/

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love Slice& Dice! It's also goon-made! (By Tann)

E: ugh, didn't refresh before replying. What's your favourite classes? I love the vampire and poison rogue.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 2, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

I bought it without knowing the answer to this, and as far as I can tell the answer is no. You can unlock certain play modes, but no between run upgrades that I can find.

There's unlocks of items as well tied to achievements/challenges. It's a nice surprise getting a popup at times when you're not expecting one.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Ah, bummer. Luckily podcasts have gotten better in the interim to keep my commute bearable.

You best not be sleeping on Slice & Dice

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Is it expected to fail about half the time in Slice & Dice, even in easy or am I just horrendous at this game?

You will improve with time, if you pay attention and go over ways you could have done better.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davedave24 posted:

I've played a whole lot of gachas and the only two to not get discarded by that cycle are Terra Battle and Another Eden. It sucks Terra Battle is gone :(

Only Genshin Impact has stood the test of time for me because it's actually enjoyable to play.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I'm in the same boat. I rarely want to play a cart game by myself, and never virtually. As for rouguelikes, unless there's some sort f meta progression, I have no interest.

drat, this is a nice one. The only question is whether someone will bite first on 'cart' 'rougue' or metaprogression.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

So what are corruptions in Dawncaster? The keyword list doesn't tell you what a corruption is, just that the corrupted keyword is triggered when there are 3 corruptions.

All the cards that have the corruption type (check the bottom of any card for its type). They have a dark gray card frame and mostly have negative effects when drawn. Forbidden fruit is the most benign of the lot. There is a subcategory of corruptions called sins named after the classic biblical ones which are especially nasty. There's quite a few cards, enemies and opportunities that will add corruptions to your deck, both permanently or temporarily.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

It's just new levels that get shuffled into the game in place of the other acts, as far as I know.

Correct. You can randomise or choose.

Caduceus is the most mystifying of the basic attacks to me, it just feels so much weaker than the rest.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you're selling the game short a bit, I've had great runs with divine warrior, charm rogue and corruption Arcadian so far, to name a few. I also thought it was a bit one-dimensional at first but that's just because there's a couple of easy builds ont there so everyone can see the whole game if they want.

You do need a scaling mechanism but there's plenty hiding between shrines, talents and the collector.

This is one of the few games I'm happy I took a peek in the discords for because people post inspiring victory posts there. I'm even considering trying to make caduceus work based on since ideas from there.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 24, 2022

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer Knag posted:

Has anyone played phobies? I've only been playing a little over a week but it's easily my favorite mobile game now.

PvP with units you level up is basically poison.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i3lueHorneT posted:

Android phone games that pair with the anime series Evengelion / Gundam / Ghost in the Shell / Cowboy Bebop / similar - in the style or theme of - anything? thx!

Honkai Impact had a Evangelion crossover event recently if that's your bag.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gentleman Baller posted:

Limbus Company, the new gacha RPG by Project Moon (Lobotomy Corporation, Library of Ruinia) just globally released.

If you know those games you are probably already downloading it, if not, just know that these guys make really unique, unsettling, complex and fun games unlike anyone else.

At the moment Limbus Company is sitting on a 97% positive rating on Steam, so seems like they might have done it again.

There might be a good game in there but on the phone at least everything is so tiny, dark and inscrutable that it's really not working for me. Not to mention it all being hidden under gacha bs which i can deal with but only if the game makes it worth it, and with this i just can't tell with everything in combat happening all at once with half the popups being not in English.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dawncaster is definitely in the "extremely controllable" camp of deckbuilders, or, calling back to earlier discussion, almost 100% strategy, with most of the variance coming from what cards you are offered to build your silly engine of destruction with. It also expects the player to embrace this, with late-game enemies being nasty enough that they're very hard to beat with generic good stuff. It's a game that's breakable by design. Unfortunately, as is often the case, many of the methods of breaking it make the tactics very dull.

Out of the other games recommended together with Dawncaster, Breach Wizards is more on the opposite end of the spectrum, since there's no "start with this in your hand" manipulation, a soft draw limiter (after every X cards drawn, newly-drawn cards cost more to play), and crucially, although there are card deletion offered, there is no "skip card" option after a fight.

Indie's Lies is a bit in between, but it's so ludicrously easy at default difficulty while offering so little between-run variance that I didn't play that much of it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I can't find that game. No matter how I form the search terms the only results I'm getting are the unreleased Tactical Breach Wizards.

Is it Breach Wanderers you're talking about?

Sorry, yes. Tom Francis on the brain.

explosivo posted:

Guess I'm a big ol dummy but I find the runaway power creep in Dawnbuilder to be part of the fun. And it's not always as simple as skip card draw, win the game. Last I played, some of the classes were definitely more capable of becoming monstrously powerful but I thought the different classes and weapon choices provide some unique challenges and more fun ways to get extremely OP.

If I ever find a Ring of Djinni Summoning IRL I am sorely tempted to use it to make people stop treating their personal preferences as value judgements on whole games and/or subgenres, it's so annoying. Enjoy what you enjoy, and more power to you.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 13, 2023

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

I don't think I have ever seen that pig symbol before..

You put some money into it every round and can break it in case of emergency.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Any recs for some offline games I can load up before traveling? I'm okay with dropping a few bucks for good games. I've enjoyed vampire survivors, stardew, canabalt, and layton on mobile for some examples.

Goon favourite Slice and Dice

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

Hit a fun one in Battlefield today. The opponent had the cross-legged old seer avatar, and was simply an immovable force for my Fairy. It summoned up Dancing Swords at intervals, but otherwise just sat there and soaked up damage. Every time I knocked out the first of his two HP stacks, he restored it on his next turn, and continued on his merry path to enlightenment until I fell to exhaustion ages later.

There are lots of fun strategies like that waiting to be discovered.

Wow, I wonder why people play Call of Duty when the alternative sounds so much more interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes posted:

My first slice and dice experience: easy round 3, got a 3 damage bottom side item, 'activates death for all group members'. Can't be what it sounds like, surely.. Oh. Well that was quick.

Excellent avatar/post combo :allears: