Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For Picross/Nonogram lovers I'd recommend Hungry Cat Picross for a really good one, ad-supported or $2 for no ads, well worth the $2 in my opinion. You'll want to give it a try before paying, though, since the rules are a little different than normal. There's 400 base puzzles, 80 for each of five difficulties, and a new Tuesday Puzzle every week that is nine 10x15 puzzles making up a larger picture. Just last month they added a Tuesday Seasons category as well, giving acces to all 52 Tuesday Puzzles from last year, and they'll be doing the same for this year's puzzles next year.

There's also CrossMe and CrossMe Color for $5 each. I'd recommend having a larger device since the boards get huge (60x60 for the non-color, 90x90 for the color) and it's a hassle to zoom in and out. (Edit: My Mom has the Galaxy Note with the stylus, and it's a breeze to play on that over using fingers, either on that or my Galaxy S.) There's a metric fuckton of puzzles too, over 800 and 400 respectively, plus a random option if you just want to keep solving puzzles and don't care about the end picture. You can sync progress across devices using a Facebook login or a passcode, too. There's free versions of each that have 24 puzzles, I'd recommend giving them a try before buying, as usual.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cruseydr posted:

And since I've been playing it a lot:
Crusaders Quest

Seconding this one. Once you get past the town UI (the game has a lot of menus) there's a fairly fun, if grindy, team RPG underneath*. The gacha mechanic is almost completely skippable since the majority of the heroes are available with luck through leveling up the random heroes that you can grind missions for. One of the fairest foreign F2P games I've played.

*(think FF Tactics' party management, though not the gameplay)

The worst part is getting the honor needed to upgrade your heroes to higher stars in the beginning. Once you unlock the arena you can grind for it there, but it's slow going with a poor team. It's the only thing I've spent money on since I'm an impatient scrub.

The best part is that bonus food (stamina/energy/whatever) isn't limited by your regenerating cap. You won't regenerate until you get below the cap, but it's nice to not waste the stuff you get from promotions and arena runs if you don't play constantly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

The worst part is getting the honor needed to upgrade your heroes to higher stars in the beginning. Once you unlock the arena you can grind for it there, but it's slow going with a poor team. It's the only thing I've spent money on since I'm an impatient scrub.

Went to double check the pricing options for this and apparently I'm misremembering as you can not buy Honor directly using cash or gems. You can buy heroes and turn them in for Honor, but that's just silly. Must have been Gold I was thinking of, as I have a crapton of it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Drone posted:

So I read that the Android version of Final Fantasy 6 has (or hopefully only had at launch) always-on DRM that would prohibit you from playing the game if you didn't have a data connection (like, on a plane). Does anyone know if this is still the case or if it was patched out?

Works fine for me after turning off data and wifi. I picked it up off of Amazon's Spring sale though, don't know of its any different than grabbing it off of the Play store.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Azathoth posted:

I have it from the Play store and it would not launch for me when I put the phone in airplane mode.

Tried it again myself in airplane mode, just in case that made a difference. Worked fine, so I assume the Amazon version, which is still on sale for half off, doesn't have the DRM.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Morpheus posted:

To whoever recommended Hungry Cat Picross, drat you, and also great recommendation. It now pretty much eats up all my free time, and in fact is the only game in which I've purchased a 'remove ads' option.

It surprised the hell out of me, too. I wish I could say the same about the other game of theirs I tried, Puzzle Forge 2. It's an interesting one, but I just don't have the patience to force myself to get decent at that type of planning/puzzle game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Amazon version of at least FF6 doesn't, and while it crashed on my first load after updating to Lollipop, it's worked just fine every launch since. (I hadn't updated to Lollipop until a couple weeks ago, otherwise I'd have mentioned it the last time it came up.:()

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Is Icewind Dale good to jump right into if I've never played either of the Baldurs series? Is one better than the other? Or should I just sit on my play credit for something else?

As to story stuff, they're pretty much unrelated.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
What the hell, here's mine too. qqbf8344

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lordy posted:

Pocket Mines 2 is strangely addicting. The combination of card and gear collecting with this face paced game just appeals to me. If anyone wants to add me by friendcode is: tfzw3763. I don't really know what friends do though.

Well, you got me this, so thanks for that.

Edit: You can also send requests for missing artifacts that they may have to complete your set, and vice versa.

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 11, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yup. Bonuses from cards will stack with bonuses from gear. There's a Help menu under the settings menu that has money values and stacking info. Basically, gear can stack with other gear and cards, but cards will use the best of each and won't stack.

Edit: I'm guessing their thinking is that double stamina cost is to balance the ridiculous combos you can get going. It's disappointing, but at least it doesn't cost rubies.

Edit: What is with me and Swype when it comes to with/wroth? I've never actually meant to use wroth except in these two sentences.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 11, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FadedReality posted:

:tinfoil:: Probably so you miss it and accidentally move to the top of the screen, potentially wasting a battery. Follow the money

If your device supports it, you can also hit the Back button.

Edit: Wrong post quoted, but it's close enough. Oh well.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 12, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Huh, loving the aesthetic. Looks to be pretty interesting.

Edit: Woops, forgot to add my code: X4DB8VHKZ3

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 24, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For anybody that hasn't checked yet, Hungry Cat Picross now has last week's puzzle, at least until it moves to the next tomorrow afternoon.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Potsticker posted:

I've been playing Tower Slash for the past couple days and it's a pretty fun rhythm-esque game where you swipe in arrow directions to kills badguys as you ascend a tower. There are rotating yellow arrows that don't stop until you're close enough to swipe and red arrows you need to swipe in the opposite direction. Occasionally bosses show up with little Simon Says memory sequences. I'v e been having a ball and managed to hit 12th on the overall high score table.

This is surprisingly fun. The only ad I've seen was when I gave the Revive option a try. Haven't played a ton of it yet, though, just maybe 45 minutes to an hour total over my shift at work today.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They are if you download them. Surprisingly, if you don't download them you need to be connected to the internet in order to stream them. (I don't know what they're taking about, I've never had a problem with them once they're downloaded on my phone or PC.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

coyo7e posted:

I've got a half-dozen albums downloaded to my phone and the last time I was camping up in the hills I wanted to play some music and it wouldn't play my own songs until I connected to the store - which I couldn't because I was out of service and had data turned off anyway.

I dunno then, maybe it's your device, it was added in an update or you didn't have the music downloaded. I'm certain I've played downloaded music in the past using both Amazon's music player and the default music app on my phone without WiFi or wireless, and I just now double checked turning both off and was still able to play my downloaded music with both Amazon's app and the default phone one. :shrug:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
After playing through and almost getting 100% on Lara Croft GO (Just two achievements, which I don't really care about. All outfits unlocked though.), I guess I should pick up Hitman GO, huh?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the game that short? Maybe I'll wait until it goes on sale then.

Yeah, it's fairly short. Not bad, and I don't regret using my survey bux for it. 41 levels, but they don't really get very difficult. It took me maybe 3-5 hours I wanna say?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, that's my hope too. What's there is good, and there's easily more that can be added to make it great.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

fluppet posted:

Not sure if its been posted here or not but I've been enjoing infinity loop

Its completely free with no ads either

Well, hello there. I think I've just found my new "There's nobody here at work, what the gently caress am I supposed to do now?" game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

vulturesrow posted:

So that card game, can anyone give a quick summary of the mechanics? I mean I'm going to play it because I'm a sucker for those kind of games but I'm just curious right now.

I'm probably going to be beaten since I'm doing this on my phone at work and getting constantly interrupted, but here's my take on it. Not really 'quick', though.

It's...different. I've only played the first 4 or 5 Quest matches, basically tutorial/story mode, and a Daily Mission before having to head to bed last night, so I'm not sure what, if anything, is yet to come.

Basic gameplay has you playing creatures on one of five spots, and those creatures usually only attack the spots opposite them, only damaging the enemy hero if there's no creature to block them. There's some creatures, like archers, that will attack enemy creatures with the highest health, and others that influence positions, like the caravan that moves one spot to the left every turn. Creatures automatically attack every turn if able, but will not take damage from defending creatures.

You start at level one every game, allowing you to take one action before your creatures attack. That action can be playing a card, charging a resource or leveling up. Playing cards and dealing damage gives you experience up to level three. Each level gives you one more action, more health on your hero, a small boost to your resources and powers up your cards, increasing their cost. There is a separate account level system as well, unlocking things like additional hero portraits, game modes and serving as a source of free cards as you level up.

You gain a resource passively at the start of your turn, and spending an action to charge will give you another. These are both random, choosing from whichever of the five different resources the cards in your deck use. Some cards also generate resources.

So far in the Quest and Missions modes it seems you start the game with your entire deck in your hand, 12 cards minimum though I have no idea on the maximum. You can pay one life to draw a random card from the graveyard. This might be different in the Arena, which is the PvP mode I haven't had a chance to try yet. Speaking of the Arena mode, according to the tutorial video there's both an active and a passive component. You can play your registered deck against other players and offline player's decks for rewards and to "power up" your deck. When you're not playing, other players can play against your deck, which plays better the more you've won while actively playing Arena. Your offline deck will give you rewards based on it's performance.

There is card trading and you can play against your friends and other live players.

The game has some unfortunate designs in it, with a bunch of questionably clothed women with huge breasts that "bounce" whenever they're hit by your creatures. The game also doesn't completely download from the Play store if you care about that, though it seems like the additional download is relatively small compared to some games. There is a stamina system but it seems to be pretty generous, at least starting out. The translation in general is pretty decent, but errors aren't rare. Quest mode in the few matches I've played is pretty boring from a writing standpoint, with annoying characters, overplayed archetypes and a bog standard starting point. I wouldn't recommend the game if that's what you're looking for, but it's almost certainly not why you're interested in a TCG so it doesn't matter.

All in all? I'd say its worth trying out for a few days if you're looking for a decent TCG on your phone. You get a choice of one of the two starter decks for free, and get some additional free cards to play around with fairly quickly at the start.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a matchmaking system in the game. If someone dumps a load of money on the game and winds up with a good set of cards they'll move up the rankings until they get put with other people with the same quality of cards. I'm thinking the smaller player pool is over exaggerating how often sets with a large quality gap will play against each other, and once the game is fully out it won't be an issue at all aside from the rare odd game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, before any other long-time Picross fans decide to try this out, it's kind of hosed, enough for me to uninstall.

Traditionally, when numbers are next to each other, those numbers a) denote how many blocks are consecutively placed, and b) also represent the order that they appear on the grid. So, on the left had side, if you've got a 3 and then a 4, that means (in practically every other Picross game) that you'll expect a group of three blocks somewhere, and then a group of four blocks to the right of that.

This game doesn't do that, and it's frustrating. The order is backwards, which makes no sense, and the only time that the blocks are in a consecutive grouping is when there's a circle around the number clue.

Animalchin,I'm glad you enjoy it, but goddamn, those are pretty standard Picross rules that are annoying when changed. That's like taking an NES game, and switching the A and B functionality.

I know this is :goonsay: as hell, but whatever, someone will appreciate it.

That's because Hungry Cat Picross fills the entire grid with multiple colors. If they were to do it the way a normal picross game would, there'd be no space for the actual puzzle without zooming. It still clearly denotes solid and unsolid lines, and the extra colors makes for a very fun twist from normal picross, you just need to keep that difference in mind and it really does work exactly like a normal picross puzzle. It's the only picross game I've come across that works well on a phone screen without needing to constantly zoom in and out, looks nice in my opinion, and constantly receives new puzzles. CrossMe/CrossMe Color is a decent second of you have a stylus and don't mind having to zoom constantly, but I don't on both accounts so I don't play it.

Talibananas posted:

And also because there was a flashing ad at the bottom of my screen, which is like the exact opposite of what i want in a picross game.

If this is a major issue for anyone else, but you otherwise enjoy the game, support the developers and get the no-ad upgrade. It's fairly priced for the content, and gets rid of every ad, interstitial and the stuff hanging around on the bottom.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I was enjoying the second one, but then my progress got reset when my phone decided to overheat and froze. I haven't started over yet, but did just reinstall it last week to do so this next weekend.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ludosity's PsyCard is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_gVAQiSxxw

It's a pseudo-Minesweeper game played with two people where you aren't given perfect information, compounded by the fact that you can't see your opponent's picks. It has a single player story mode with multiple playable characters, along with split-screen and hotseat multiplayer. There's also a bonus mode where you wander around a maze collecting gear and magic and fighting enemies using PsyCard. If you're familiar with Ludosity, this game continues with their charming writing and characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFDghKdHII

The only thing worth mentioning that video doesn't, is the number of skulls in the top corners tell you how many skulls are in those card colors.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Artelier posted:

Yeah, this is my impression too after my initial run through the campaign. First run was the evil looking guy who could see the opponent's cards but second round I'm using the skull finding powers and having a much easier time with it.

Also, as I played, my Minesweepering got better, and I deduced possible fruit locations and safe spots MUCH faster. Woohoo.

Sometimes it's roll of the dice though. Especially in the colourless tournament.

DEFAULT RULESET:
3 skulls
2 colours of cards - the top of the screen shows how many skulls per colour
5 fruit
2 stars

Once I deduced this information (which I believe the game never gives you in its entirety), I started having a lot more success. Also, opponents only do their special card picking animation if they're one fruit away from victory or "have" to risk picking a skull.

I'm fourth place in the second half of the game, with maybe 6 tournaments to go.

Something else to be aware of is to watch is how your opponent is picking. If they're making two or three picks in a general area, you should too since there's obviously something there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

I wanted to mention, I love that you guys worked with LRR after their Tiny Planes video, and have kept doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1LPdAxCX5M

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I've been getting back into Defense Grid again, on Steam, and was wondering what the best and closest game to that on Android would be? Really, a polished tower defense game, preferably not bogged down by f2p bullshit. Don't mind using survey bucks.

The three Kingdom Rush games are pretty good, from what I remember. The only paid things I can remember are heroes (most of them, but you start with one and can unlock a few more with ingame stuff) and cheat items. The first is free, so I'd say give that a try to see if you like the style. The others are $2 and $3 USD.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Len posted:

I've been playing Mystic Castle. It's kind of like the game "a dark room" which starts out as a clicker sort of game and then turns into a dungeon crawler.

Potsticker posted:

Oh hey I liked that browser game, Imma check out Mystic Castle then.

This is it, right?

This is great, especially since when I last checked the people behind a dark room hadn't made an android version, just an iOS one. If you're looking for a low-intensity game, I'd say check this out.

A few things to keep in mind when you're just starting:
  • Early on, keep at least 650 coins in your warehouse at all times for buying the random skills. Most cost 500, but the 650 one is very important.
  • You can long press items in the warehouse to sell them. It doesn't work for simpler items like stone and lumber, but it's useful if you set your craftsmen to something and wind up with a massive surplus while you're sleeping or such.
  • Buy leather. There's no easy way to get a useful amount of it for at least the first area since your only semi-reliable source is the small amount you get while adventuring.
  • You can use Alchemy 40 times while waiting for the Gather cooldown.
  • Keep an eye on your Produce options. As soon as it's available, focus on what you need for the first crucible upgrade. Doubling your Alchemy income is ridiculously important.
  • The first couple bag and carriage upgrades are very simple and very useful.
  • You can immediately revisit a location after clearing it out for a bread restock. You don't have to wait until your next time out.
  • Train your recruits. You can do without a cleric for almost everything, but having one for the final castle encounter is a good idea.
  • As soon as you get to the next area, check the Market for the patterns needed to further train your adventurers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

delfin posted:

Couple of followup questions:

* Is there anywhere I need to be to get that particular offer to come up? Once I had gold to spend I got a couple of offers from a General and one from a Monk, but everything else has been gambles and such.

Is the Monk bread usage talent not 650? That's the one I'm thinking of there, and I got it relatively early so I may be wrong on the amount it costs.

Enigma posted:

Perks I think pop up randomly, though there is probably a link to the level you are on. The prices go up a ton too. Just finished level 6 and bought one for 60k.

Unlocked talents pop up randomly while you're in town, yeah. However, talents are unlocked by Trophy points, not area. You can view your points in the top left of the Trophy screen in the Tavern.

quote:

* Where do I get the crafter that lets me make Dark Steel? I have the option to buy it in the Market but it's prohibitively expensive for the quantities I need, and that's the holdup on new classes to tackle world 4.

quote:

Dark steel I think you can produce after beating level 4.

Dark Steel can be made as soon as you hit area 3. At least, I can and that's where I've just reached and haven't had the time to explore these past few days. The craft is called Steel Smelter, just under Prayer for me.

Also of note so far is Alchemist to produce Arcane Powder and Engraver to make Seelen Wood. All three are unlocked without having to build a building, so it's easy to miss picking them up.

quote:

It's still probably better to buy though. I don't think you can get enough workers to make it full time. It costs 10 steel, which cost 4 iron each, which cost 2 bread, which each cost 2 wheat.

Yeah, either setting it up so your craftsmen produce coins, to just buy the dark steel, or a stockpile of iron/wheat/bread, to burn through while you're actively playing, while you're asleep or busy is the better way to go until you get around 300 population, if my math isn't wrong. (It's probably wrong.)

The same goes for Seelen wood, though you don't need as much of that so it's much easier to just buy.

Arcane Powder is just 100 crystal, so that's pretty sustainable to make a decent stockpile every now and then.

I haven't had too much of an issue with battery myself, on a Galaxy S5, but I'm only one person.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's available for me, but is it really incompatible with a Galaxy S5?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It took a couple games to adjust, but that's a pretty legit suggestion. Even if you're unlike me and not still playing the occasional Minesweeper game I'd recommend checking out Mamono Sweeper.

Edit: Forgot I wanted to mention how the ads work. They're non-intrusive; I've only had them pop up when I go back to the main menu and never while actually playing a round. I've also only gotten static ads I can immediately close, no 30 second videos or anything like that.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 24, 2016

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Fallen London's world is one of those rare pieces of fiction that captures an eldritch setting without just straight up copying Lovecraft, which most can't even get it right then. It's meant to be hard to wrap your head around, and there's very few things that make logical sense to our world. It's a fantastic setting and I always love to read and learn more about it, even the little stuff. However, the game as it's designed was just a too grindy for my low tolerance back when I played it in the browser. I'm thinking of giving it another go on mobile since the concept works a little better here, but I just keep remembering the grind I was in just a week or so in and just how much was yet to come.

If anyone wants to read more about Fallen London's world I highly recommend checking out the Sunless Sea LP from here on SA. The thread for it is also worth checking out if you don't think you'll want to explore Fallen London on your own.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oenis posted:

Minesweeper is still a lovely puzzle game because of 50/50 situations.
edit: The app claims that there's no luck involved, how'd he get around the 50/50 situations?

By not having boards that mimic the smaller pieces. With a layout like that its very easy to set up rules to eliminate the 50/50 chance spawns.

My main problem with Minesweeper, even though I love playing it as a time waster, has always been getting shafted in the opening moves. I lose the majority of my games to not getting a decent start instead of the 50/50 situations.

I haven't played any difficult levels yet so I don't know how or if this game handles that, but so far I'm loving what's there and have already gone no-ads with the last of my current bunch of survey bucks.

Edit: I may be missing something here, but it looks like they haven't completely ruled out guessing, apparently. :(

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 28, 2016

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So they still haven't announced an Android release date yet, only confirming that it is coming later, but here's a new video for Super Mario Run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKG5jU6DV70

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

mrkillboy posted:

Solitairica is a mash up of solitaire and RPG and roguelike things that's out now on Android after an initial iOS release a few months back.

Been giving this a try here on a slow work day, aside from a stream I just watched, and drat, it's really good. Think of its pricing model as pay-for-what-you-want rather than F2P with microtransactions or an outright paid game.

I just finished my first run, 13 (out of 18) battles in, where I was against a Levitating Jam Cube Iron Bureaucrat. It turns out Levitating is brutal (copy a card's number onto two cards on both sides of that card) by itself, more so when paired with the Jam Cube's Reshuffle (reshuffles the cards into one fewer column, down to three).

It looks, sounds and plays great, though I am on a Pixel so I don't know how it runs on older devices, and the writing is charming. (The enemies in the Armies of Stuck attack when you can't make any matches.) Gameplay is just about perfect for a mobile game. Take just the basic premise of Solitaire, matching cards by their rank up or down, and add in player and enemy abilities in place sorting a deck of shuffled cards. I don't know how it handles being closed in the middle of a run, but it sat suspended on a loading screen for over two hours while I was watching a Twitch stream and came back as if nothing happened, so I can't imagine being closed would forfeit your run. (Edit: Just tried on a new run, and the game immediately loaded right back into the fight I was on when I reopened it.)

Ads are done well, in that after every battle you get a set amount of Bounty coins, increasing as you go, that can be doubled by watching an ad. Coins collected through cards or pairing streaks are unaffected. Coins are spent on new spells and items.

The only issue I had with the game, and I've already come around on it while writing this post, is unlocking new decks. After you lose a run you get some Wildstone currency, which can then be used to upgrade or buy new decks. I got enough after my first run to unlock a new deck so I figured I'd pick up one that interested me rather than upgrade the free deck. It turns out that each of the five locked decks needs $0.99 USD in addition to the Wildstone to unlock. There is an option for $3.99 to make all decks available for unlocking, remove ads and automatically double the Bounty coin reward, which I'm probably going to do.

If you want to play free, the Warrior (free) deck doesn't seem to be weaker than the other decks on a quick look at what the game says about the locked decks and can be upgraded like the others so you're not missing out on power, just variety. If there's a deck or two that interests you, you can pick them up for a buck each and some Wildstone, or if you want the full game you can pick it up at a fair price (pretty drat cheap) for a mobile game.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 11, 2016

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

jjac posted:

Solitairica is so nicely polished I'm not even angry at the paywall, though before I pay I'd like to know how different other class runs are. Are they still grabbing from the same pool of items/spells in the shop?

I've only unlocked the Monk deck so far. From what I can tell, there's largely the same item/spell pool that you draw from, except for upgrades to the class's unique spells (Monk's stun and armor spell for example, though there isn't an upgrade for the wildcard spell since it's so strong to begin with.). The deck upgrades seem to share the Ace upgrade (three energy of that card's type when drawn from your deck), past that I'm not sure since I haven't unlocked the Queen upgrade on Warrior, though I think they may be different based on the flavor of the Monk ones (stun on Queen and a special bell graphic that matches the deck back on the King).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you buy the unlock game option you don't have to pay for the individual decks. You still have to unlock then with Wildstone, but the real money cost should be taken care of by the full purchase.

Enraged cards are my number one priority whenever I'm up against them. Saving attack energy for them, stunning the enemy to delay their attacks, burning something like the Monk's wildcard ability to take even one out if no other option pops up after a couple turns, etc. That said, sometimes you just get screwed by random chance and there's nothing you can do. I found the items that upgrade every card in your deck of the same numeral to heal you surprisingly useful, even the 2s version, since it's healing you don't have to spend any energy on.

Anther tip I'd add is on using the storm that changes cards toes to give three cards. It's very useful early on, but I wouldn't use it past the halfway point or after picking up an hourglass. Gaining energy during the fight is way more important later on than having coins to spend in the shop afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's pretty similar to the two successful runs I've had using the Monk deck, specifically the 6 energy spell that gives 3 armor and stuns for 2 turns, picking up the 3 energy attack spell since non-Warriors start with a 4 energy version, and using the Monk's Wildcard spell in place of the sequence spell. The only thing I'd be careful about is the coin spell. Early on it's great, but past the halfway point I find giving up the energy is too much of a downside. There's only been a couple times I didn't have the coins to pick up whatever I need from the shop, including one or two hourglasses, that I don't think it's worth overvaluing coins.

Edit: Also, the trampoline spell. I mentioned it in a previous post, but even though it's 8 energy, bouncing an attack back and doing damage to back cards is very good. I highly recommend it against the last three or four fights (except the last fight, he hasn't had any really hard hitting abilities I've seen yet, just a lot of effects and chip damage) and any Warlock enemies. For Warlocks specifically, anytime they use an ability that damages more than one row. My favorite is when they damage all rows for 2 damage a card. I won a fight very quickly when they started with that, 6 cards by the enemy and 12 more from the reflected damage.

A couple other items I'd keep an eye out for are the +3 to all energy at the start and the statue that reduces stun duration by 1 round. The +3 energy item is very expensive but amazingly good since it practically guarantees you'll start casting spells within a couple turns. I want to try the +2 item to see if it holds up as well, but it hasn't shown up for the past couple runs. The statue is really good since most of the non-affix enemy stuns are only one round to start with, and the statue works on Mirrored stuns as well.

Edit: About the cleansing spell: I recommend picking it up late for the last fight and against enemies that can armor cards. Having to use a card three times is miserable, and having even two of them on the front row is awful.

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 18, 2016