Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

gently caress the haters, Android phones have had awesome games for years now!

Old thread!

Android gaming has come a long way! There are still iOS only games, but most games tend to launch on iOS first and come to Android later at the very least. As the market share has increased, so has the quality of the games. That doesn't mean that it's perfect, though. With so many different devices running a variety of Android iterations, compatibility issues happen more often about as often as you'd think. The switch to Lollipop has been a little rough, but things are good overall. At this point, there are enough games, with more on the way, to fill a lifetime of poops.

:10bux:
First of all, the most essential app every Android gamer needs is Google Opinion Rewards. Answer quick surveys and get free Google bucks! Here's some advice from Dr. Arbitrary: Read the survey questions carefully. Read the whole question, and then once you've read it, count a few seconds before answering. They have mechanisms to remove people who are just mashing buttons, early on you'll get a question that halfway through says something like "Ignore everything else and choose Espanol"
:10bux:

Here is the sometimes updated list of games people like...

Essentials!!!

This is a short list of games that have been adored by just about every goon. If nothing else, give these a whirl!

Hoplite - A deceptively simple hex-based quasi-roguelike. Free with a $1 option to add achievements.
80 Days - An Choose your Own Adventure styled adaptation of Around the World in 80 Days with giant mechanical elephants and an impressively politically correct number of female pilots/captains. $5 and worth every cent.
Galaxy Trucker - Based on the board game! Build a ship out of a random pile of parts and try not to take an asteroid up your tailpipe. $5 and also worth it!
Pixel Dungeon - A totally awesome free roguelike. It's open source and the creator has been updating the game pretty consistently for a few years. Free forever :comeplaymylord:
10000000 - A puzzley game where you slide stuff around to match them and fight stuff! Earn cash to upgrade your attacks and armor. Poop game of choice for many goons! $2.89
Hitman GO - This game came from out of nowhere. This is a very cool, board-game styled puzzle/strategy game in "Hitman" trappings. Move your hitman token strategically to kill the targets. It's beautiful too! $5
Monument Valley - Really cool and stylish puzzle game in the vein of Echochrome. Navigate gorgeous MC Escher-esque environments and manipulate the world to reach the goal. I think it's illegal to mention this game without saying that it's short. The consensus is that it's worth it, though. $3.99
Ridiculous Fishing - A great game with great art style that serves as a metaphor for the pooping process. You drop down a fishing line, pull it back up to grab as many fish as possible, and then blow them out of the sky. This mirrors the way you must force down the brown, wipe front to back upwards, and then throw the toilet paper in the air to celebrate the most productive thing you'll do all day. $2.99.
Wayward Souls - An action game that has gone over well with most goons. Sorta Zelda-ish with pretty decent controls. Also try Mage Gauntlet. $6.99.
Tripletown - This one hasn't come up in conversation for awhile, but it's a great game we went nuts for a long while ago. It's a twist on match three where you build up a town based on connecting trees and such to make houses to make mansions to make castles, etc... Definitely a great time waster and addicting. Free with a quasi stamina system. IAP removes this and opens up a few more game modes.

If you don't trust your fellow goons, you can take a look at https://droidgamers.com or https://pockettactics.com for some "professional" advice.

Here are the rest of the top picks!

Free-to-Play
Puzzle and Dragons - Thread - Match 3 with monster collection! They're pretty generous with premium currency.
Terra Battle - Slide characters around the battlefield to surround enemies and attack. Pretty unique mechanic and good production value
Heavenstrike Rivals - Pretty strategy game with class-based troop combat. Pretty good, but the premium characters are crazy overpowered.
Final Fantasy Record Keepers - Thread - If you like Final Fantasy, you'll love this! If you don't like Final Fantasy, you're an rear end in a top hat. Great music!
Metal Slug Defense - Like Battle Cats
Battle Cats - Like Metal Slug Defense
Heroes Charge - Thread - Collect troops and fight stuff!
Pocket Knights - Thread - Collect troops and fight stuff!

Simulation
Anything Kairosoft - Pick a flavor and go with it.
Fiz

Strategy!
Hoplite
Auro
Great Little/Big War Game

Puzzley Stuff!
ZZSunset Tetris (a solid version)
Drop7 (A good game from Zynga? Me-ow!)
Triple Town

Platformers!
Badland
Limbo
Shadow Blade
Leo's Fortune

PC and Console Ports!
X-Com Enemy Unknown
Shadowrun/Dragonfall
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale
Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Chinatown Wars
Game of Thrones (Telltale)

Interactive Fiction!
Sorcery 1, 2, 3
80 Days (maybe the only game goons agree is spectacular)
Lone Wolf Saga (not the new one)

Traditional Puzzle Games!
Shortyz (Crossword Puzzles)
Hungry Cat Picross

Sports!
Madden Mobile
Flappy Golf
Motorsport Manager
Table Tennis Touch
NBA Jam
Ski Safari
Pako

RPG
Quest Keeper
Final Fantasy 1, 4, 5, 6, Dimensions
The World Ends With You
Mage Gauntlet
Wayward Souls
Pixel Dungeon
Chaos Rings + sequel

Digital Nerd Card Games!
Hearthstone
Scrolls
Calculords

Digital Versions of Nerd Board/Card Games!
San Juan
Ticket to Ride
Carcassone
Galaxy Trucker
Elder Sign
Star Realms
Ascension
Summoner Wars (not Summoners War, duh)

Arcade Action!
One Finger Death Punch
Super Hexxagon
Crossy Road
Organ Trail (yup, like Oregon Trail, but with more zombie shooting)
Punch Quest!
ZZSunset Tetris (A pretty good Tetris)

Disgusting Soul Sucking Non Games That Will Destroy You Idler/Anti-idler(you know you want to play a game for 60 seconds and then leave it alone for a few hours)
Tap Titans
Idle Oil Tycoon
Pocket Trains
Pocket Planes
Tiny Tower

Emulators!
Drastic - DS Emulator. $8, but it's INCREDIBLE and runs better than PC emulators
RetroArch - Emulates almost everything, though it's a bit wonky and the GUI is pretty poo poo.
Robert Broglia's Emulators - You pay for quality on these ones, but people swear by them. Definitely more user-friendly than Retroarch.

Random Crap!
Mr. AAaah! - A cross between Pilotwings and swinging into a hole.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I haven't uninstalled Organ Trail from my phone since I got it in a Humble Bundle.

And Leo's Fortune is a gorgeous platformer, highly recommended. Has Nvidia Shield support!

I'll update the OP later tonight. The more the merrier.

I'll put in some stuff about controllers too.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Man, I hosed up for sure. This is a great reminder of how many badass games there are on Android.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I wouldn't say I 'missed' it, you lowercase auspol reprobate, I'm agitated because someone crammed f2p nonsense on an otherwise good frame !

Isn't the only IAP an unlock to go past level 15? That seems reasonable. I think that would be a decent trend. That essentially reverts to a shareware model.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

This is one of our awesome super featured everyone likes it games. If you have $0.99, BUY IT! If you don't, drive by a Subway a few times.

Edit: I'll be updating the OP soon. I'm going to shoot for weekly updates, but my 9 month old is being a real prick these days.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
The first episode of the Game of Thrones Telltale game is free on Amazon. 25% off the season pass, too.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Jorath posted:

Game of Thrones has great production values. Plus it's loving Game Of Thrones. A+, would get for free from Amazon again.

I went ahead and spent the $15 bucks for the season pass. The quicktime events are a bit of a chore at times, but the story seems solid and it's a "your choices matter" sort of thing. They even go out of the way to flash stuff like "Lord Forrester will remember that" at the top of the screen when you make a choice.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Hey kutku would you consider adding some kind of "there are no good simcity or civ clones on Android" note to your OP? If so, make sure you put lots of obnoxious smileys around it :v:

Done and done. I also updated and added a few more games here and there as well as links to droidgamers and pockettactics. If there's something I missed that you're dying to get in the OP, let me know.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

Out of nowhere Square Enix have put out a new, non-Final Fantasy RPG called Masters of the Masks on the Play Store. It looks like it plays like a turn-based Battleheart.

It's actually a standard sort of ATB classic Final Fantasy system for the combat. The rest of it is ridiculously bonkers weird systems with masks and combining and spinning loving wheels and gold coins and silver coins and holy gently caress this could be my life now or it will be off my phone in 15 minutes who can tell?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

It's actually a standard sort of ATB classic Final Fantasy system for the combat. The rest of it is ridiculously bonkers weird systems with masks and combining and spinning loving wheels and gold coins and silver coins and holy gently caress this could be my life now or it will be off my phone in 15 minutes who can tell?

I uninstalled. The art style doesn't appeal to me and Record Keeper has characters I already care about with a similar battle system. This Mask game has really convoluted systems at play and has the lovely "wait an hour for this to complete or pay money" AND the tired enemy weakness wheel that all of these games do.

There are too many f2p games that are pretty good at this point. Its kinda crazy at this point to throw another one out there that doesn't really do anything new.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

It's pretty much the best mtg game.

1998 Duels of the Plainswalkers

:colbert:

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 19, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

are there any simcity, final fantasy tactics or civ clones on android

Yup. There's a whole category for them in the Play store.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

gromdul posted:

You can look at your reward history. No "about" required!

I was pissed and jealous until I checked and I've gotten $31 altogether since November 2013.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone in the Sproggiwood beta know when they're planning to launch? I have to remember to save my Google bucks for that one.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Gyre posted:

What are some good turn-based RPGs that aren't remakes or rogue-likes? I'm okay with perma-death, but I enjoy my random dungeons on PC instead.

Kemco games has some decent jrpg, but I have to admit I never saw any of them all the way through.

Don't laugh, but I spent a lot of time with Adventure Bar Story. Very Japanese, but the rpg stuff is solid. The main conceit is that you're collecting ingredients for your restaurant. It's a bit like Recittear if you've heard of that.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. I was looking for stuff to spend the paltry 129 coins I have left and stumbled upon this developer who has clearly found the secret to success.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_mobile-apps?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=T-Bull%20Sp.%20z%20o.o.&node=2350149011

I think their next game in development is Call of Destined Titan: Pursuit of Dead Effect

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New city builder on the Play store!

City 2048

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully last Pocket Miner 2 post...?

I just wanted to check in to say it's definitely worth it to put in everyone's friend code... It looks like you only get the bonus stuff for inviting people, but you actually get the bonus stuff based on the friends you've added. I've got a poo poo ton of cash to spend now.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

So, another question- at the end of the map, there's some kind of "depth" leaderboard. How are people getting twice as deep on the same map as me if the chests are at a preset depth? I don't understand.. Maybe I'm missing something crucial.

Once you've beaten a zone, you can go back to it for an infinity mode. As you upgrade your hammer, you can go back and destroy your previous records from earlier levels.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Mobile Humble Bundle out, this time consisting entirely of hidden object games by developer Artifex Mundi. The games this round are:

Deadly Puzzles
Time Mysteries 1
Clockwork Tales
Demon Hunter (beat the average)
Grim Legends (beat the average)
Time Mysteries 3 (beat the average)
Time Mysteries 2 (beat the average)
Grim Legends 2 (pay $9 or more)
Enigmatis 2 (pay $9 or more)

Finally! A Humble Bundle I can loving resist!

Speaking of Humble Bundle games, it's not in a bundle anymore but Blek is really loving cool. It's a puzzle game where you draw a squiggle that will continue to repeat around the screen. You have to avoid black spots and touch the colored dots. That's a lovely description... Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GatTHt8SUiA

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Owl posted:

Carcassonne meets Space Team.

Wow... This is just about right.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Oh poo poo, rogue-like throw down. Sproggiwood comes out then too, also for 10bux

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

So let's say I'm only willing to pay for one. Sproggiwood?

That's a really loving tough one. Flip a coin and plan to get back to the other one later.

TLDR: Both are great, Sproggi is a great poop game, DD is a great laying in bed game.

Sproggi is more of a slimmed down traditional roguelike whereas Desktop Dungeon is essentially a puzzle game with rogue-like inspiration.

I think Sproggi is a better poop game. Desktop Dungeons can be really brutally challenging. You really need to focus on a full strategy for each time you hit a dungeon. Part of what the initial "marketing" was for Desktop Dungeons was that it was bite sized, but it's really only a quick/easy game of you want to lose. You have to think about who to attack, what order to take out the enemies, and how to exploit your abilities to maximize your xp generation. It can be a serious mental workout.

Sproggi is also a tough game, but it's much simpler in that you don't need to agonize over just about every move. You've got a really specific toolset for each character, so you really only need to think about which ability to use in each situation. It's more forgiving about making mistakes and I'd say that it's overall much more "fun".

They're both great games.

:effort:

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 23, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

foutre posted:

I definitely like Sproggiwood's visual style more, but which one of the two did goons say was more tactical?

Desktop Dungeons is more tactical, while Sproggiwood is more of a traditional roguelike that has been streamlined.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
No offense to the creator, but the village doesn't actually have any practical "city building" aspects. There is more than enough game without it, but the village stuff seems a little half-baked (sorry Brian!).

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Meatwave posted:

Hey is there an android game about developing a civilization where I can build a nice simulated city in which to kill myself using fantasy tactics?

Try Game of War: Fire Age.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Some Zero posted:

Jesus desktop dungeons is hard... Or I'm bad at video games

XP is everything. You should always fight enemies at least a level above you for the XP boost. The game is designed around this mechanic. Also, check spells to see if they award extra XP and figure out how to exploit them to help farm XP. You'll never get your characters to level 10 just trading blows with enemies at your level.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So, if you weren't super crazy about 10000000000000, is it worth it to try the new one? It looks like kind of the same thing.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
With the release of FFT, I clearly need to update the smarmy warning in the OP.

Is there anything else I should throw in while I've got it open?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Goon posted:

Does anyone know how FFT would run on a LG G3? I really want to get this, but something tells me that this is the kind of game designed for tablets that would run like poo poo and be near unreadable on a phone :ohdear:

I want to pick it up for my G3, but I haven't had a chance yet. The screen size should be perfect since it's at least as big as the psp screen with much better resolution too. Plus, since it's turn based, the controls should be mostly forgiving of you make errors. I'm excited to grab it. I personally won't mind faster animations since it will keep the pace up.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I've noticed that there are a number of Dragon Quest games on the play store, notably DQ IV, V, and VIII. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? I saw a virtual control stick in one of the VIII screenshots which was a bit offputting but I guess that's what I should expect with console ports.

If I remember, VIII is hosed up with a lovely frame rate and it runs in portrait for some reason. I actually like games that will run in portrait, but it seems hosed up if the game isn't built for it.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

asterioth posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

are any of the games in this bundle worth it?

Type Rider and iPollute are worth a buck.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So, I was looking for an old card-based RPG system that I used to play with one of my friends, and my Google search brought this up, which I will be playing as soon as I'm able.

Dragon Storm is an action-RPG adventure, leaving to find the evil Dark Lord for loose from the seal.
One of the monsters in the fast hand-eye coordination, both removal and see if that helps grow the character. or try to battle with the guardian spirits involved. Items acquired from dungeons and cards are a great help in battle.
Goblins are coming destination in town is just the beginning. The future will have a new monster stand in your way. The best fighter is defeated the Dark Lord.
[Features]
-the weakest warrior becomes the greatest.
-endless dungeon global leaderboard competition with friends all over the world.
-various characters, numerous items to upgrade.
-expedition will bring you precious items.
-various reward for various dungeon difficulty.
-rich in-game cut-scenes and cool and fun epilogue.
-unlocks auto-play options when clear stage missions.

Dragon Storm

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I keep playing arena which is kind of fun but way too easy if you pick strong troops. In the spirit of service I made a goon guild. It's called 'Gem boys', and my invite code is 'Truck'

I refreshed about 8 times until I found it. They didn't ask for your code... I'm going to gem like mad before bed, YOU'LL SEE! YOU'LL ALL SEE! In as Uggo.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Cryohazard posted:

Khedar (far east) has a pretty noble dude there who just wants to stop people getting murdered by the undead.

Most purple cards you can get through area quests, they are indeed all pretty beefy, but some of them are questionable in how useful they are. This week you can buy a decently buff purple from the Honor store for 80, so pick that up.

You can sometimes get magic keys from gold vaults (ultimate treasure tiles) in TH. Bag -> Brown -> Green -> Red -> Vault.

For those in the guild, keep pumping cash into the tasks and they start giving better rewards- the level 30something guild I was in before hopping over had tasks that gave 6 keys, 10-ish gems or 2-3 maps a time. Whether you get your investment back is dependent on how many in the guild are pulling their weight with donations, and we get better daily cash if we hop up the leaderboards into higher divisions so PvP away.

Luther (Broken Spire reward) is loving amazing, his skill when maxed gives everyone on your team FIVE higher attack per use. That's a big deal! So I was a bit miffed to find out that my second orange pull shared his mana type (blue/brown) meaning I can't use it because Luther :(.

Anyone get to the Goblin kingdom yet? For some reason I love my little goblin team, but I want their banner buff...

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

If I didn't like LoL, should I bother checking out Vainglory?

Probably not.

I have to say, I do like Vainglory, but mobile is a lovely place for it. I was trying to play before bed and I kept nodding off... Not a great tactic.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So Merchant.

First of all gently caress you for mentioning it, because it's essentially Oil
Tycoon, but you have to baby sit it more.

Second of all, it's all I think about. What's the best scheme for making money? I'm always broke and I can't tell why.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Goblin for life.

6 jewels for cheap shot that doesn't use a turn? I'll take it.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress did I come back to 38 new posts, one of them is about a city builder, and no one is talking about it?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what it might have been before, but I think it's been $1500 for at least a couple weeks.

Also, yeah, arena is the place to be for getting new keys. The story mode stuff is pretty pointless. You usually net out with less gold than you start and the rewards ain't great. Now that I have a decent team, invading has become pretty lucrative. You get a few hundred gold each battle and you gain rank which helps the guild and earns you glory everyday. Glory can get you bonus cards AND treasure maps that can be very lucrative.