Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

I've been enjoying Alphabear lately (from the people who made Triple Town) but are there any similar Boggle-like games that don't require an internet connection to play? I don't mind paying a few dollars for the right game.

WHERE THE gently caress IS BOOKWORM!?!

It's like, Popcap came out with perfect mobile games 5 years too early and, for some reason, EA thinks they'd rather ruin franchises with F2P bullshit than just put out a $3 easy port of Bookworm.

In other news, I really love Highrise Word Heroes, which is F2P normally, but I have a "premium" version through Humble Bundle that doesn't do any of the F2P stuff. I don't know if that's available through the play store, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New megarule? If you're just posting a referral code or guild request, you must also post a picture of a robot playing a game.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New Humble Bundle!

Oh... It's all SNK games that generally require precise controls... :suicide:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Zorblack posted:

I'm getting in to this Dragonball Z action. Sent out some friend requests.

My number is 1073365589, in game name is Zorblack.

You forgot something:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Coffeehitler posted:

My gems invite code is dub c, if there's space.

Because I have to have annoying to work with names in games. :v:
MEGARULE

MEGARULE

Also, I sent the invite. We had room.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Haerc posted:

You joke, but I did exactly that.

Totes calling in sick.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

EvilElmo posted:

Gem talk

When do I use souls to train? Save them up until I got good cards? Same with keys, just use them as I get them or save until I buy more kingdoms?

Use the keys right away. There is zero reason to hold off on using them.

As for souls, yeah, it's probably best to save them for good cards that you'll actually want to use. There are some really solid common cards that are worth juicing up in the meanwhile though. Goblins are pretty pimp... 6 green gets you a quick attack that doesn't end your turn.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

One day someone will make a good Adventure Time game... one day...

I recently reinstalled Card Wars and I'm having a good time with it. It's a $4 game that should be free to play (stamina system, gems necessary for decent card pulls and card storage), but the game itself is pretty fun. The cards could be balanced in a more forgiving way, and they sure as hell could be more generous with the premium currency, but it is genuinely pretty fun, especially if you can pull a few good rare cards. They also have a spinner minigame which can negate enemy damage and double your damage, so that can potentially even things out, but I turn it off.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Never not double post about Gem Boyz.

I just hit 50 gems last night. Should I buy the +50% soul armor or keep saving for a 100 gem armor?

I'd say keep going. The guild's been supplying me with 5-10 a day.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

ModeSix posted:

What is the actual release date for Fallout Shelter supposed to be?

Games › Android Gaming: Not really. Fallout Shelter Gripe Zone

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

This is actually pretty good but they ask you for the 4 buck 'unlock' pretty quickly... which I paid gladly. Made my trip to the laundromat seem like 2 minutes long.

The unlock isn't too essential, though. You can earn all of the cards just by playing. The IAP lets you get quests to unlock cosmetic changes, and lets you choose your special moves rather than having them chosen at random. I don't remember them popping anything up to ask for the IAP, but there are seemingly innocuous things on the main screen that will take you to the plug.

That said, the game is pretty cool and they probably deserve the money.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

I hate you. I was just about to post about how weird the app icon was... Time to uninstall...

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Gem boys are full again, folks :saddowns:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

(Super) Monsters Ate My Condo has a sequel out called Monsters Ate My Metropolis. Compared to the first two games which were match 3 games, this one is a card battler.

Not awful, so far. It censors the name of my city, though. Apparently "BUTT" is not appropriate.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

FadedReality posted:

drat, using that Fallout Shelter save really exposes the Skinner box loop of the game. After 70 lunchboxes and 20 minutes I had 3 fully upgraded floors staffed by 20 high level dwellers all sporting high end weapons and outfits.

What's the status on the gems of war thread? Could use those collected tips but hunting through the thread is a pain on my phone.

Buying one Mr. Handy is helping me breeze through the early game. I've got a 3 space electrical room, 3 space water joint, and 2 space Cafe and he's been keeping the base ready to go... Of course, that means there isn't really any game to play, so that's... cool?

And I'll throw up a quick Gems thread and link it here in a minute!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Thar she blows... I went ahead and threw it in the normal games forum because I think we should rope in more goons to flesh out new Goon Guilds.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736873

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

There's an official mobile Cooking Mama game out for anyone nostalgic for the old NDS franchise.

I gave it a whirl... They section recipes off into IAP packs... I was offended, but now that I think about it, it'd be about $20 for all the content, and that's what a DS game costs, so :shrug:

I didn't end up buying anything.

The game plays great, though. Graphics are very nice.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing Crimsonland on a lovely eMachine tower way back in 2003 when it first came out. It's great... Worth the BtA just on it's own.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I really wish there was a chance you could loot weapons from the Raider attacks.

There's a lot of stuff like this that just makes me crazy. Why can't I make a guard room so my buff dudes can respond to attacks rather than whoever is in there? Some poo poo goes down on the 2nd floor and everyone else is going about their business. I drag someone with a great weapon over to fight raiders, but when the raiders run out of the room, my dude just sits there.

Clearly we need to all team up and make Zybourne Shelter.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Okay, if you want to be pedantic then the game doesn't have monks. Geez.

But... It does? Click the character and it lets you choose.

It's worth nothing that it won't be free forever, and apparently, if you delete it on Android, you may have to pay for it if you want it back and they are charging for it.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Forget the mega lunchbox save file... One Mr. Handy working my resource floor completely broke the game for me. I essentially paid a dollar to not play the game.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is this Final Fantasy easier than the old NES one? I played it a bunch this morning and got way further than I ever did as a kid.

Yup, although it's probably equal parts of them streamlining thing and you being better at games. I played through the PSP remake that I think this is based on and it was a much more pleasurable experience.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

DeNA == Mobage :ssh:

Yeah, that's right, get ready for Nintendo characters in your latest custom-internal-HTML-rendered Japanese gacha shitshow :allears:

FF: Record Keeper does a genuinely good job of providing the fan service that appeals to FF fans while still having fairly engaging gameplay that fits the subject material (and it's not too money hungry, either). They did a great job of creating something that fits the (lovely) F2P structure with a framing device that fits the series.
:boom:

It does run like poo poo, though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

Any other recommendations for gamepads that work with non-rooted phones, or would be worth going through the root process for?

I really like(d) my iPega 2025, until I accidentally broke the clip. It's a dual-stick pad with an extendable clip on top that holds stuff together pretty well. The shoulder buttons weren't super comfortable to hit, but I still used it a poo poo ton (mostly DS emulation).

I'm thinking I'll eventually replace it with the iPega 2023, which telescopes. My issue is that I want a telescoping pad that will support a phone in landscape AND portrait.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

What are the thoughts on this one? I'll need something where I still have access to the bottom edge of the phone to plug a charger in, but if the Ipega controllers are better than the Moga ones (in terms of better build quality / features) I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe someone knows a better model.

http://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joystick/dp/B00KLS3UEY

I haven't used this one personally, but I think it's a good price and, despite being a random Chinese company, I think they make quality stuff. Mine only broke because I was like "I wonder if this will break if I push it this way..." and so I forced the top of the clip in a weird way and... it broke.

EDIT: God, I love amazon 1 star reviews.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 18, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New Humble Bundle:

Trouserheart
Real Boxing Premium
Governor of Poker Premium

Beat the average (currently < $5):

Great Little War Game 2 (not to be confused with Great Big War Game, which was the second game in the series)
Tiny Guardians
Desert Golfing
more to come...

I'm not sure interested in much of this... I'm a little more intrigued now that I noticed it's GLWG 2 rather than GBWG... The muscle shading in Real Boxing would surely give me nightmares, but I hear Desert Golfing is a great time waster.

I've already got Tiny Guardians, and it's a pretty fun Tower-Defense-ish game. Instead of placing towers that go along a path, you have a dude who moves across the map and you station units around them. I liked it, but it was one of those things that got tough as balls.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

...they are facing a potential lawsuit...

I'd love to see a source on that. I backed them on that game and they haven't necessarily done anything that most kickstarters do in regards to delays and whatnot.

To your point, I say just use the refund window to check. It came out of the gate really lovely, but the few updates they've done have helped things immensely.

EDIT: Summoner Wars is a great asynchronous game (assuming it runs for you), as are Ascension and Star Realms.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 27, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Coldbird posted:

Trip Report: Kill Me Again

PAD WITH ZOMBIES (SORT OF)

So yes this game was mentioned, and it has enough production value and gameplay that I figured it was worth a review. As mentioned, it cribs a lot from Puzzle & Dragon, namely same 5x6 game board with matching, specifically that it lets you drag a single block around to make tons of matches in one move.

That's about where it ends though. PAD is a very slow paced, thinker game - careful planning of the next, optimal, super-complex move - unlimited time between most moves. This game, though, is very different. You play as some random idiot shooting zombies, and matching fires shots from your gun(s); it's all real time and the zombies are going ape poo poo on you constantly. For someone like me, very much used to 'all Horus all the time', it was jarring as hell.

Think of it less like some kind of complex Ra or Sonia team, and more like some kind of crazy Isis or Bastet team where the mobs swing in real time and will murder your poo poo if you wait more than a few seconds. Also, certain mobs have to be hit only at certain times so you have to hold the match until they flash, requiring you to split your attention between the board and the zombies super fast, and there's consumables etc.

IAP is probably overused, but I'm not super far nor am I especially good at this type of gameplay, so it's hard to hell how necessary it is. They have a lot of IAP cosmetic options for your character, but they're crazy expensive.

The concept is neat, and whatever else was wrong with PAD I still think it's the only cell phone game out there with a high skill ceiling. If anything, this game might be higher, though the basic skills just to get through the newbie game are also much higher.

I'm liking it so far. It really is a much different beast than PAD. I haven't hit a pay wall yet and I just started chapter 4. If something seems too hard, hire a merc. It's worth the money and it seems like the game is generous with the silver coins.

I like the combo system. It has special moves that you do with certain match combos... So if I match 3 sets of 3 I do some wild kick flip. Pretty cool.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Need For Speed out, Need For Speed: No Limits, developed by the Real Racing people. Um, Snoop is in it?

Are we going to take bets on how many actual limits there are in NFS: No Limits?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Applied for the KMA guild as mrbuggo.

How is the Dragon Quest IV port? I played the NES ROM translation years ago and I want to get turnt up with Tornico again.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I got a bug up my rear end to play Plants vs Zombies 2 for the first time since it came out. I remember being turned off by all of the f2p bullshit, but time has treated this game well.

I'm pretty sure that most of the original f2p poo poo is still there, but in the time since I played it last, free games have gotten so ridiculous that I'm finding myself amazed by how great and nonrestricted it is. As far as I can tell, some plants are still cash only (you can't even buy them with premium gems) but other than that, there is no stamina system, paid powerups are optional, and it's been a good time.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a game that is deeper than it seems (probably accidentally). You need a bizarre dual focus on both the board and the enemies coming towards you. Sometimes you need to make chains for quick strikes on fast/exploding enemies and sometimes you need to rock the big combo attacks for high damage. This is probably a weird comparison, but I'm sort of reminded of The World Ends With You because you really do need to be watching both "screens" to be effective. That's what makes it so different from PAD. It's like comparing Civilization to StarCraft. Yeah, in those games you build and research and make troops and wage war, but the gameplay is apples and oranges.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

EllEssDee posted:

Asked this in the iOS thread but maybe android will have what I'm looking for (have android phone and iPad). I'm looking for a first person dungeon crawler that has random loot a la diablo or even just one that plays like a rogue like as well. I tried legend of gridlock and while fun seemed pretty basic, and I like the Etrian Odyssey games I just want to find something similar with random loot as opposed to static.

There's Delver, which I think is Goonmade (tm).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.interrupt.dungeoneer

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I think Block Legend made a bit of a splash in the old thread, but I remember it being pretty shallow. I'm tempted for Ys, though. I feel like it's something I'm supposed to have played, but I haven't yet.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Play manually to maximize returns or save MP abilities for boss fights.

It's such a bizarre game. It's definitely an idler, but at the same time, playing the battles out like a real jrpg is a lot of fun too.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Digfender:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mugshotgames.digfender

It's a tower defense game, but you make the paths by digging down towards the source of evil. It's different enough to be cool. My only gripe is that their "remove ads" options are pricey. In their defense, the ads aren't pop-ups; they just use bottom banner ads.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Meatwave posted:

Now that I've tried the game, what happens is piles and piles of tiny corpses and you sit on the crapper until your leg starts to fall asleep.

Does Digfender melt through anyone else's battery? I love the game, but it makes my phone hot as balls.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Mabinogi Duel really is incredible. If anyone has been holding back, just give it a try. The production values are crazy to me, even if the boob jiggle is a little dumb. Each individual card has a little bit of explainer text telling what it's useful for, which I don't think I've ever seen in a TCG.

I do have to say the the scenario mode is mostly a drag, though. It's fine, but they give you specific cards to work with each time and each mission is almost like a little puzzle. I prefer just the main open deck play.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Man, I forgot how much of a goddamn grind Korean games are. Mabinogi only lets me purchase a single common at a time for 999 gold, and I finally spent some of the starting gems on a pack and got four commons and a lovely one star. I literally don't have enough cards to make a deck that doesn't suck rear end because I traded what turned out to be a couple important cards to the cat merchant while I was only half paying attention. Only having like 30 cards spread over five factions makes it difficult to actually do anything outside of the random draft or scenario. I really don't think I'll stick around in this game for long, it looks like they are expecting me to put in a significant amount of money to even get a chance at a reasonable choice of cards.

At least as far as I can tell, having the 5 different factions isn't the worst because you want to have 3 factions in your deck anyway. Since you get one of each mana per faction each turn, if you only have two or one color, you're handicapping yourself. Also, it's nice to have three colors so you can let your mana of one color build up while you're putting out cheaper cards of your other factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

When the op says "IF YOU'RE HERE LOOKING FOR SIMCITY, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, OR CIV CLONES, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY JUST KILL YOURSELF" does it mean "you should kill yourself because the ports are extremely bad and you're a moron if you buy them" or "you should kill yourself for even asking if you should buy them because they're great and the answer is yes and here are the links"?

I just meant that if you were looking for clones, you're poo poo out of luck.

The FF:T port is a port of the PSP version and is apparently solid enough.

The only official Civ game is Civilization Revolution 2, which is just a mobile reskin of the DS version from a few years back. People seemed to have a mostly negative reaction to it.

The only official Simcity game is a lovely EA click-and-wait cash-grab, but TheoTown is a reasonable free alternative that does a decent job of mimicking Simcity 2000. Free with ads, but not really a finished, polished product.