Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

FredMSloniker posted:

Any decent town/city/village building simulators out there?

Longbaugh01 posted:

(In all seriousness though, isn't there that one Kairosoft game that's sort of a town builder?)

Dungeon Village, or Edo Towns. Neither are really what you want, but no such game really exists, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'm in the US, and it says it's available but not compatible with a Note 3 or 10.1...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I have two 9 hour plane flights coming up, and I'm trying to stock up on games. Right now I have Dragonfall, Banner Saga, King of Dragon Pass, and some Kairosoft games installed. Are there any really immerisive, lengthy games worth adding? With the caveat that I've already played through all the Infinity Engine games on Android.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for the recs guys. It turns out I bought the first Sorcery in some Amazon sale and just never played it, so I'll add that for sure.

For KotOR I don't have a bluetooth controller -- I don't remember the control scheme very well, but if that's not an issue, I'll check it out.

W/r/t Final Fantasy, I've never played any of them and am kind of intimidated at jumping in. Is there one in particular that makes sense as a starting point?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

poo poo, thanks guys I'm actually pretty pumped for 18 hours of sitting in a tiny chair.

Granbed the first Illyria and Kotor. Chrono Trigger is actually the one jrpg I've played (and I've played it once on SNES, once on DS, etc.) so decided to get FF 6 instead.

I'm also just gonna take a moment to appreciate mobile technology -- truly we live in amazing times.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The Aguamoose posted:

Can anyone recommend a good game where you build a village/town/building/whatever? Not something like clash of clans, but something where the building part is the point. I don't mind what kind of style it is, cute or serious, as long as it's not too hard or grindy and I can enjoy making something satisfying or aesthetically pleasing. I don't mind paying, I'd rather that than a freeware game with ridiculous microtransactions. I can't find much along those lines, except Kairosoft games, and I have no idea which of those are any good (I have game Dev story).

I agree that Fiz is a good management game, and is very satisfying to play, but in terms of building a cool city and watching it work/tweaking it, I like Oh! Edo Towns and Dungeon Village by kairosoft. The former is more building focused. Neither are particularly deep, but they're relaxing and fun.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I definitely like Sproggiwood's visual style more, but which one of the two did goons say was more tactical?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^^

Please, please do this. I'd buy it -- that's a market of at least two already!

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Desktop Dungeons is more tactical, while Sproggiwood is more of a traditional roguelike that has been streamlined.

Cool, thanks. Realistically, I'll probably end up buying both once I get a bit more survey dollars. Guess I'll try the free version of Desktop Dungeons and see what I think for now.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Morter posted:

So are there any good DATA-less match (match-3 or otherwise) games out there?

Most of these are in the OP, but the games that I play most on mobile are:

Ridiculous Fishing
Sproggiwood (recently)
Hoplite
Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall
Kairosoft games -- most recently Ninja Village, Dungeon Village is my favorite with honorable mention to Game Dev Story
80 Days

The first two are casual games, the third = great rpgs, the 4th fun simple sims and the last is a really cool story based game.

If you want a v unique game experience for long commutes or what have you, go for King of Dragon Pass.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Morter posted:

None of them are match games though, but I appreciate the suggestions? :v:

Oh my god I totally misread that, I don't know what I was thinking on that one. Ok, no, can't help you nevermind.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I've played Sproggiwood and Hoplite to death, and just downloaded Pixel Dungeon. With the caveat that I only have a phone, no tablet (so Desktop Dungeons is sadly not an option), what are other good roguelikes?

Fwiw, I liked the variety the Sproggiwood classes provided, but I wished it had a little more depth. On the other side of the coin, I liked the dtrategic challenge of Hoplite but wished it had more challenge.

E: realized I have also played 868-Hack, which for some reason didn't click with me in the same way. Maybe because it felt too much like a straight puzzle and less like an rpg experience with exploration etc.

foutre fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 21, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Does anyone else get next to no surveys.... Like ever?
I've had I think 2 in the past 4 or 5 days. One generic one just asked me if I had kids
That's it :/

That's 2 since I downloaded it

That's not bad.

Fwiw, I got a total of the first three months I had it. Last month I got 10. It works in mysterious ways.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Karthe posted:

This discussion hasn't come up in a while so I'll :can: and ask for your guys' suggestions for roguelikes. I played several hours of Pixel Dungeon this past week but never once made it past the third or fourth floor. I'm sure I'm just terrible, but I never felt like I could level up fast enough to survive later floors. And there's not a whole lot of variety in items and enemies so my runs kinda started to blend together. What are some alternatives I should try out? Free or paid doesn't matter to me.

I like Sproggiwood (sic?) a lot -- it's less tactical than some, but has fun classes and levels and I enjoyed it a lot. Also on high difficulties there are definitely times when you have to plan carefully, but it's still beatable. It has semi-persistence in the form of items that carry over from run to run.

Also, try Hoplite! It feels like more of a puzzle, and though there's less variety in terms of classes or whatever it feels very tactical and is a great game.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has anyone here played Galaxy Trucker with local multiplayer? I'm trying to convince my wife to buy it so we can play together, but if it's no good, then I won't bother. And yes, I realize a bunch of goons on here don't like the game and I don't care.

My SO and I played it for 6 hours on a bus the day we downloaded it, and then uninstalled it because that level of time sink is dangerous.

It's definitely a different experience (with the ship construction portion not being simultaneous) than the physical version but it's really fun, and I'd recommend it if you've got a long trip or the like, but not necessarily just for sitting at home.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

A bunch of EA and Chillingo games are on sale for just 10 cents for folks in the US, Canada, Mexico and a couple of South American countries.

The sequel to platformer Bean's Quest Bean Dreams is also out, as is a surprisingly not terrible looking Heroes Reborn game. I also checked out a new mission-based runner by Netmarble called Quickboy. It seems quite fun.

I know contre jour is worth buying, but is anything in that sale particularly good?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

The Philippines and Singapore are the only territories so far apparently.

It looks like most of the related titles are Vietnamese (I think??), which would actually make a lot of sense as a test market as well because they still have a huge Age of Empires II community (including active esports events, of all things). Just inexplicably really popular there.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Is anyone playing Call of Champions? It's a moba where matches take ~5 minutes, with very simple mechanics but kind of surprising depth. I've played a couple games of it so far, and it's actually pretty fun. Basically, you are in a 3v3 match with a time limit of 5 minutes to push 2 orbs (one on top one on the bottom) to take out your opponents towers, whoever kills more towers at the end of the game wins. There are a pretty high number of configurations/strategies people try out, and although the touch controls are a bit odd they work pretty well all in all and most of the classic moba archetypes are present.

I haven't seen any mentions of it, so figured I'd throw one out there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sts.ch&hl=en

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

EzEight posted:

Call of Champions, would you recommend playing it on a phone?

Vainglory works great on a phone but you're going to be gimped by the screen size and mistaps.

It works better on a phone than Vainglory imo, but I do have a phablet with a ~6 inch screen so it might be different if you go smaller.

It is somewhat better on a tablet, but still readable and fun on a phone.

It really is just a very surprisingly good port of the moba style and a solid game in its own right.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Werner-Boogle posted:

I never play games on my phone, but I've got a few weeks coming up filled with really long commutes and boring work where I'm allowed to play with my phone. I kinda wanna play either FF:Tactics or Shadowrun. I don't have a tablet though, I've only got my Nexus 6P - will I hate playing those games on a smaller screen? I'm guessing they're optimised for tablets.

I played through Shadowrun on my Note 3 and it wasn't bad at all. The text sometimes got a bit small, but it was still generally readable and the game as a whole works very well on mobile imo.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The pockettactics review of Planar Conquest for iOS is out already: http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-planar-conquest/ . The basic takeaway is that it has all the basics of a detailed 4x game, but the UI and overall feel of the game on a tablet was offputting. My instinct is to wait for a sale.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

There's actual Final Fantasy Tactics on Android now! Progress~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Knowlue posted:

Isn't it impossible to run smoothly on most phones though?

I dunno, it runs pretty well on my Note 3 (except for cut scenes with a lot of camera panning) but really poorly on my Note 10 (that's 2 years more recent...). It seems like a crapshoot whether or not it will run well for any individual device.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I just got like 11 surveys back to back, a lot of which were repeats, over the course of like 5 minutes. I'm not complaining, but I can't imagine that giving me 5 survey bucks that fast for repeat questions is working as intended.

Markovnikov posted:

Hey, sorry if this is a bunch of stupid questions but I'm new to the whole brave new world of android tablets.

Have I missed any turn based tactical games so far? I know of the Shadowruns, FFTactics, XCOM (which apparently isn't "available" for the nvidia shield, and all the solutions I can find involve a bunch of rooting and sideloading shennanigans :/), and Banner Saga. They are really my favourite genre and it's a shame there aren't more available for android. Same question goes for turn based RPG's that are not Final Fantasy.

Any Might and Magic-style dungeon crawlers available? Are Broglia's emulators still the recommended ones? Seems like it's what I'll mostly be doing for the time being.

Any way to get Windows games working on an Android tablet, besids streaming from a desktop? Googling just led me to a bunch of shady results, which I guess means no. I would've guessed there'd be some way to emulate the windows mobile OS's by now, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Try 7 Mages, it's a turn-based rpg with a party system that's apparently a lot like wizardry/other old school dungeon crawlers. I haven't played it myself, but it's really well reviewed and sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Also, maybe you'd enjoy Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale EE, they translate well to a decent sized tablet.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'm up to 18; the last two were the exact same, asking about whether I watched polo. Then I got a follow up asking how often I played polo.

I've never watched or played polo (I didn't realize anyone did in the year of our Lord 2016), I hadn't actually left my apartment when I got all the surveys and the others were also oddly specific and seemingly random.

I assume something's wrong with their system atm, or someone is really interested in polo all of a sudden.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Chinook posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SongGameDev.EleTD

fake edit: from the reviews I gather this is a mobile port of a desktop game, but it's a very good port, then.

It's a port of a Warcraft 3 custom map, which they've remade as a Starcraft 2 and Dota 2 custom game as well so they're probably pretty experienced at it by now.

Seconding that it's really good.

I feel like a lot of other WC3 custom games would work well on mobile. Winter maul wars comes to mind, tree tag as well. It feels like good versions of those sorts of games haven't really been done on mobile yet. It does seem like the team behind this has been unusually persistent, but hopefully some of the others will do the same.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Is Secret of Mana a good port/worth 5 bucks? I played chrono trigger for the first time on my phone and really liked it, would this be a similar experience? I haven't really played any of the old snes /Genesis rpgs, and I'm not sure how this one stacks up.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

Also also out is The Battle of Polytopia, which might finally be the Civ-like game on mobile you've been looking for all this time.

This is the game formerly known as Super Tribes in iOS, right? It reviewed really well on Pocket Tactics/Touch Arcade: http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-super-tribes/ .

It is apparently more of a puzzle game with Civ-like mechanics, but that seems like exactly the kind of thing that would translate really well to mobile. Thanks for posting this, I was really disappointed that it wasn't on Android and might have missed it entirely with the name change.

Downloading asap, will report on if it's as good as it seems like it could be.

e: Oh drat there's pass and play multiplayer, I hope they add online as well. The scale probably isn't quite right for week long asynchronous play or what have you, but it still seems like it would be good for smaller doses.

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 1, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

Polytopia continues to be a lot of fun. Buying some of the IAP civs actually makes the game way harder though. Having the archer Civ start as an enemy is real rough. I'm currently stuck at 3 enemy civs on hard on perfection. I don't see myself getting bored of it for a while.

Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised at how much depth the different starting techs add -- it definitely seems like the AI goes down different tech routes depending on what they start with, and the early game feels very different depending on who you end up nearby.

I think this is honestly my mobile GotY 2016. There was an episode of the Three Moves Ahead podcast where they discussed the dearth of 'bite size strategy' games on PC, and said that it was mostly going to be mobile games in the future. I feel like Polytopia is really living up to that promise in a way that a lot of other mobile strategy games haven't quite done.

I'm pretty sure I'm bad at it though, I'm having trouble breaking the 30k point barrier. Every time I play I can pretty much tell when I've messed up my city planning/build pretty clearly though, and it's always fun to try and improve the next time round. Speaking of, does anyone have recc's for good strategies for trying to run up the score? Gotta start 3 starring.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Whoever recommended Galimulator for watching the rise and fall of space empires without ever actually playing, you did me a solid. I've been watching the Illegal Wong Syndicate scrap and peddle their illegal Wongs from a small spiral arm of a dozen stars for 40 millennia.

Agreed 100% -- I've been rooting for the Meng worlds, who were a contender for major power around 20 millenia ago, but now are much smaller, with about 4 stars in the NE corner, and just had an empire called "Axe Gang" start expanding near them and I've got a feeling their days are numbered...

The 'transcending/degenerating' behaviors really make the interplay of different empires so much more interesting in terms of the macro-level rise/fall than when you're actually playing a 4x.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

If you think that's bad - wait until you get to Ninja Village or Dungeon Village where you can pull out graphing paper to design the ultimate village designed to maximise your resources.

Yeah, Dungeon Village took up basically a weekend when I first played it. Definitely my favorite kairosoft game, but haven't installed it again since.

E: speaking of kairosoft, had anyone tried 8 but farm? I want to play kairosoft Stardew Valley basically, would that be a good fit?

foutre fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 17, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Scorps posted:

Is Guild of Dungeoneering playable on something like a 6p or would it be basically more suited for tablet gameplay?

I've played it a lot on my note 5 which I i imagine is a similar size and it works really well. Definitely suited for playing on a phone imo and a great game.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I never got to play this back in the day. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get in on mobile over pc. Thoughts?

In my experience at least, the only times I've wished I'd been playing the other EE games on pc was during extended combat sequences with more opportunities for misclicking.

Since combat isn't much of a thing in Planescape I'd imagine that's less of an issue, and the others are great otherwise seems like it's a really good fit for mobile.

E: also, for me at least, I like getting infinity engine games on mobile because then they don't have to compete with like, tyranny or other pc only rpgs for gaming time. I probably wouldn't have played them again if I couldn't do it on my commute etc.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 12, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

To the Moon just came out on android : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xd.tothemoon&hl=en

Gonna dl and see how it translates to mobile. Ready to be real sad.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

EzEight posted:

So it published by Bandai USA and unavailable to me as I'm in Asia. Anyone can give feed back if its acrually good and worth jumping through hoops to get?

Only played for like an hour or two so far, but it's fun. It's definitely a good fit for mobile, if I didn't know there was a pc version I would have assumed it was mobile 1st.

There's a few ui issues (I. E., in the studio section it sometimes won't register taps, the way that your characters stats are displayed in the menu is a bit too split up, etc) but the game itself is fun and seems very well suited to short play sessions while having a good bit of content.

Not sure how many hoops it's worth jumping through, but I at least felt like it was worth 5 survey bucks.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Top three :

Hearthstone
Polytopia
Sproggiwood
(if hearthstone doesn't count, crashlands)

explosivo posted:

Only complaint as of now is that the menu for upgrading your studio is pretty much hosed and it's almost impossible to click on anything in that menu. Seems like a weird touchscreen bug that I assume will get fixed eventually.

I have the same problem, but found an (ok) solution. If you open it, click the arrow to go to the second page of upgrades and then click back to the first page you can usually select upgrades again. But yeah, gotta imagine they're going to fix this first.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone have recommendations for good kind of light android 4x games?

Basically, I've been playing battle for polytopia and have found myself wishing that it lasted longer/had more options for trading, culture victory etc. From googling around, it looks like Civ Revolution might be a good option, although it looks like it's gotten somewhat mixed reviews.

I'd kind of rather not have it be in space, although if the best options are all set there I'm down to try it.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Polytopia. Not sure it's got fully working multiplayer yet, but it scratches the 4X itch.

I'm pretty sure you can only do hotseat games with all human players atm, but it's still a fun multiplayer game and definitely the best quick mobile 4x experience imo.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Wow that's a cool design. It works so well as a portrait game, and it looks like there's a ton of depth.

I really wish they had a proper tutorial though, between the lack of explanation and the awkward English it's been a struggle. If there was a proper getting started guide/a wiki this game would be so much more accessible. As it is though prolly still going to put in the time to figure it out, it does seem like it'll be worth the time spent.

Thanks for posting it!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

It works on my tablet and note 5, I don't think it's the game. Maybe just android on chromebook being a bit wonky with compatibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

My first couple of planets died because I didn't have enough food or burned through a renewable resource by mining it too fast because but once you figure out what all the numbers mean, it gets into a nice groove.

Do you have any reccs on how to get started? I.e., an initial research path/resource allocation?