Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is a little beginner hearthstone guide I post on the iOS gaming thread.

Shwqa posted:

Here is a short little beginner's guide for hearthstone.

-Reroll all 40 gold daily missions. You can get 60 gold, 100 gold, and free pack daily missions.

-There are many one time quest like get all heroes to level 10, beat all basic ai, beat all elite ai. They all give 100 gold or more.

-There are quite a few budget deck that can get you decent amount wins. They are "mech Mage", "face Hunter", "zoo", and "patron warrior". You should focus on mech Mage first, every class can do Aggro mech but mage does it best. face Hunter is the strongest of the budget decks. Parton warrior is the most fun but requires you to buy the first wing of black rock mountain.

-If you are going to spend $$$. Do it on the adventures. They are designed to be have better bang for you buck compare to packs. Naxxramas has more important cards than black rock mountain. A full adventure cost $25 USD, but they are guaranteed high quality cards.

-Arena is the best way to gain cards without spending cash. Arena also doesn't take your collection into account, it is all about skill and luck. If you get 3 wins you break even or better. If you get 7 wins you can buy another arena plus a pack and other rewards. Go to the goon thread and get advice/stream and have goons help you out.

-If you aren't going to spend cash, keep in mind you will need some naxxramas and black rock mountain. Each wing cost 700 gold. You can get that in about a week and half. You need up to sludge belcher in naxxramas. And you just need the first wing of black rock.

-GvG packs have higher quality on average common and rare cards. While classic packs have higher quality on average epics and legendarys. I would recommend focusing on GvG until you have all the good commons and rares, which only take two months or so. Than focus on classic packs. Currently arena only gives GvG packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Some Zero posted:

As someone who just started playing g hearthstone I unlocked all the basics but can't build the decks because I'm missing missing cards. What packs should I be buying basic or the gnome packs?

I wrote a beginner's guide on page 5. But go gvg first. The common and rare mech cards are very powerful and every class can do an aggressive low cost mech deck. Though mages do the deck best.

Honestly though you should be doing arena with the help of guides to make the best deck. Arena is the best way to earn cards for free and it gives you a place to play on level playing field.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Drone posted:

Can you post links to those budget decks you mentioned? I'm googling for stuff like "mech Mage" and getting like 20 different decks with that description.

The hearthstone theard is a better place for this but:

Cog master x2
Mechincal gnome x2
Mech warper x2
Mirco machine x2
Unstable portal x2
Frostbolt x2
Flame cannon x2
Annoy-o-tron x2
Spider mech x2
Harvest golem x2
Arcane intellect
Piloted shredder x2
Mechanical yeti x2
Kezan mystic
Fireball x2
Goblin blastmage x2

Mulligan for one mana minions and two mana minions. Toss any spells or 3+ cost cards.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 19, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Magic the gathering online will always suck because they are too scared of damaging the physical card sales.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

wall monitor posted:

Hi! I've just switched over from iphone to android.

What games should I be picking up here that I wouldn't have had a chance to play over there?

If you got a samsung you can download their "free app" app and use the free trial to get:
Dungeon villlage
Game developers story
Machinarium

Then the amazon app has a free daily app.

After that I went for Pocket knights and hearthstone for my f2p fix. I know I sound like the worst gamer, but my ipad already has all the premium apps I want.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 20, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

Jesus, just updated and they cranked the difficulty up too high. Doubled the hp in villain siege, and added more bomb bots. Can barely scratch the first boss now.

This is the cycle of all f2p mobile marvel games. They make a decent game that is a bit too grindy but not impossible. People play it because it's fun being a super hero. Then they patch the game to make impossible to have fun and then the game goes into a slow death spiral only surviving so long because of its name.

We are still in the Howard the duck phase for marvel f2p games.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hey guys did you get the waterpark question?!?!

Yes

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Are iaps still just to quicken crafting time?

There is no crafting time. And you actually take three different items and make something new. Not just plus one the current equipment.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cocks Cable posted:

Regarding Knights of Pen and Paper 2, what unlockable stuff have you found so far? I prefer to unlock everything as fast as possible and then start over with a new game with all of the options.

From the beginning you can unlock two unique items, another person, and warlock.

ninjais the only i have unlocked through quest and im around level 16. It also an amazing class.

Paladin is pretty meh. But combined with rogue they are wrecking up the place.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

A good KoP&P2 combo is mage and thief.

The mages fire spell inflicts the "Burn" status on a group of enemies with a 100% success chance, even on bosses. The actual roll if it "works" doesn't happen until the mob's turn. So it's a guaranteed way to mark up a bunch of enemies so your thieves Fan of Knives ability does double damage. Fan of knives is pricey to use though so I would definitely go with an elf thief.

Jock Warriors are super good too. The extra hand allows you to stack high threat weapons, plus your passive adds a ton of threat. Then you just focus on Damage reduction gear and basically soak all the damage and counter attack left and right.

I found paladin's weakness debuff last lot longer than burn. It is not usually to have an enemy with weakness for 4 turns. While thief just murders everyone.

I specced my mage for lightning and ice because those deal massive damage.

And yes warrior is crazy good. Deals great damage all day long and has passive +threat.

Ninja is pretty great too. A group stun that works most of the time just destroys random mobs. And for bosses you got the +critical and triple hit ability. And it seems the wound on critcal is an unblockable debuff.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Knights of pen and paper 2 is fun, but all the cool cutesy poo poo like debuff and dot are loving awful.
I tried making a ninja who used the +critical skill and its wound on critical passive while stacking all critical equipment. And the results were terrible. Not even the weakest mobs were affected.

A took that ninja gave them a big loving hammer and went all in on the triple attack ability. Oh look now the ninja nearly 1 hit kos enemies with a decent chance of stunning.

And the paladin weakness and then rogue fan of knives is good. But working less often now because it seems resistances are scaling faster than the weakness skill. I'll probably just end up going a full ham team with cleric and call it a day.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just want more surveys :negative:

Hey, so for Seabeard, do you actually get a house? Also, I want to play with fellow goons! :smith:

You do get a house. It is really pricey at 4,000 gold.

Also you can only visit other people's island and buy their stuff. Not play with them.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

I had to quit Seabeard . My bag was always too full and I even spent a chunk of premium currency to expand it once, only for it to fill up again almost immediately, accompanied by a request to expand it again for another huge pile of premium currency. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at a quality game, but this just felt really money grabby to me.

Honestly as bad as it seems. Items on the ground stay for 24 hours, like driftwood and claims. Fish stay for 8 hours. And anything you "craft" (this includes apples and berries) stay forever.

And you can build a warehouse fairly quickly which gives you an extra 25 slots. And they give out premium currency pretty often now. I stopped playing months ago but i had something like 75 slots in my warehouse. And I had full premium clothing for me and my crew, including my dog. The best boat. And every root cleared out. The only i couldn't afford was town decorations.

I made a how to play guide on the ios gaming thread. I can find it after work.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would love to read this, actually. Please post it!

Sorry this is a pain in the rear end to go to my past post and repost them while on my phone. I'll have my computer up and running tomorrow so I'll post it then.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FadedReality posted:

I was interested in the guide as well so I found the post.

No, I don't have anything better to do, thank you for asking.

Yeah I got a few more post for each time it updated. Stuff like how to best use the recycler. I think it anytime you have over 99 value has a 5% of giving an explosive. But thank you for linking the big effort post.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mourning Due posted:

Awesome! Have never played this and have always wanted to.

Quick question: does this require an always-on internet connection?

Nope it is an old playston game remade into a psp version. And this is the port of the psp version.

Also read the before I play. It is a complex game that doesn't have many of the quality of life improvements of newer games. And for the love of god don't ask goons for tips on the game. They will fill up the next 2 pages on every complex detail on how to break the game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

So torn on FFT. I have FFT on my PS1 that I still bust out from time to time. I also have the DS version. Based on that alone you would think it's a no brainer but I'm worried it might be a lovely port. Need some more goon reviews, stat.

The good:
The translation is way way better. There are cut scene moves. There are two new class.

The bad:
Most classes require an extra class levels to unlock. The english ps1 was made less grindy than the Japanese version. This version has the Japanese grind.

The two new classes require an insane amount of grinding. Like you could make a new save and casually beat the game multiple times in the times it takes to unlock dark knight. And onion knight needs you to master almost every class to be useful.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I want to pick it up for my G3, but I haven't had a chance yet. The screen size should be perfect since it's at least as big as the psp screen with much better resolution too. Plus, since it's turn based, the controls should be mostly forgiving of you make errors. I'm excited to grab it. I personally won't mind faster animations since it will keep the pace up.

I only have experience with the ios version. But I found it much easier to use the control if you dragged your finger along the screen instead of pressing the screen. The game with follow your finger and highlight the action you are hovering over and releasing your finger from the screen will select the action.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of surveys I had a super specific question. "In the past week have you gone to a outdoor 24 hour dive-in theater?" The dive in theater I went to is only open at nights. I'm not really sure how that would work during the day.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

Sega's Sonic Runners, a 2D autorunner/platformer featuring the blue hedgehog is now available worldwide.

I played the game during its soft launch; I found the core game itself to be surprisingly decent and fun, but it was just buried under a avalanche of loading screens and text explaining the "plot" so it takes forever just to get into the game. Hopefully they've streamlined it (though I doubt it).

But does it have epic angry birds in it?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

It seems to be getting mixed reviews in the iOS Games thread.

Mostly negative. It starts out kinda fun. But you basically do everything in the first hour. And it gets very buggy and energy intensive the more vault dwellers you get. So you start using up more battery life and lose more progess as the game goes on. Until it is an unplayable mess.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gromdul posted:

So you stopped using your hero? Or do you rotate between three different troops?

I currently use:
    Lady Sapphira - Her ability generate a lot of damage and health, great for matching skulls.
    Hero with a blue weapon
    Barbearius
    War Sphinx or Atlanta

Gem boys appears to have a couple spots open too. Post your invite codes!

Invite code: shwqa

Do i need to leave my current pubby guild before you can invite me?

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

The Arena is a decent source of regular keys if you can run the table consistently. Ignore the "buy your team" prompt at the end because it's a ridiculous number of gems. The guild task that gives six keys is also a lucrative source. Magic keys are an option for your gems -- a guaranteed Ultra Rare can be decent, though drawing an Epic from one is a disappointment -- but I'm switching to saving mine for a costume as I've gotten one Legendary from a double handful of Magics. High end cards come when they come.

Guild task seem like a best way to go. The highest level task is 6 keys for everyone at the cost of 33k gold. 30 people, the guild member limit, need to put in 1,100 gold to get them keys. And if you are in a max ranked guild your daily login is 1000 gold plus kingdom gold.

Just find a high rank public guild. I don't if you can look up guilds but i am in "OMG shoes" which has a few whales keeping me rolling in keys. And there is about 6 spots left.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 15, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit: oops i can't read.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have been trying to switch up my team in gems of war but so far my go to is:

Web spinner 15 blue green 2 damage and poison to the enemy team and makes 10 green gems.

Valkryrie 10 red yellow to change any color to blue.

Lady sapphira for brown yellow and true damage

The hero with this week's purple weapon.

The strategy is to power up webspinner as quick and often as possible. He is basically the tanky, better, but more expensive rock worm. But with valkryie, webspinner can usually go about 3-10 times, depending on luck, before dying. By that time the enemy team is so wrecked it is a quick clean up. True damage means I don't even have to remove the armor at time. The hero is basically just a tank to protect the back row.

Edit: sorry i mixed up some color and weapons. I haven't used my go to team in a few days. The game is so easy you don't really need to go optimal all the time.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 22, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

If you're new to this game, save up 50 gems (at the rate we're blasting through tasks in Gem Boys, it won't take long) and get Dwarven Armor. Viking Armor for 100 for a Souls bonus is fine too. 50% bonus to gold is really nice because it tilts PvP rewards even further in your favor, it affects rewards from Arena, and if Souls are what you need you can turn excess gold into keys and then disenchant who you get. (Or make it rain on your guild and get keys that way.)

I don't think those armor are as good as you think. They state the bonus only happens when you are on a quest, challenge, and defending. I don't believe it gives you the bonus on offensive pvp. And I rarely get the chance to defend. And I wouldn't do the soul either, you usually only get 5ish soul a battle.

If you want souls the guild quest for it is the best gold spent for soul return ratio. Besides arena of course.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

I can vouch that I'm getting bonus gold on offensive PvP, defensive PvP and Arena. A 1000-gold Arena run gave a 2250 gold reward. Just ran offensive PvP, "Available rewards: 453," cost 226 to enter, end reward was +698 gold (which is just about right for 453 plus 4-and-5-match gold plus 50%). I'll have to test whether the souls bonus affects Arena as well, but if so that's major.

Well this is news :getin:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Malek posted:

Played the hell out of this on the PS1 WAY back in the day and got stuck with... I think the encounter with Baphomet? When it has the main character go against him one on one to begin with. Never picked it up again past that point.

A lot of people quit there but that was one of the worst game designs in history of game.

It is the first multiple rounds fights. So you save over your only save file and thus create a point of no return without realizing it. Then the fight is a forced one on one fight with a fairly difficult boss. And you have to use Ramaz. Most people lost something like 15 hours of game play because of that. It was so stupid.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Marxalot posted:

If it makes you feel any better, with about an hour's worth of grinding/exploiting mechanics you can have Ramza just one-shot that guy before he even gets a turn.

FFT is a fun game to break.

FFT is similar FF8 in that way. If you know the mechanics, then you can break the game in the first hour. If not then you are really going to struggle. There isn't much room in the middle ground.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Anyone tried the Adventure Time Puzzle Quest? The actual puzzling seems to go so much faster, gems drop quickly, swap quickly. Almost too quickly since its super sensitive and sometimes does moves you dont want to do. I was enjoying it because they didnt do the annoying "give AI a turn on the board" poo poo I generally dislike since it invalidates any planning ahead. Then I pulled their slot machine and realized they're using the same lovely IAP model from Marvel PQ. Seriously one of the worst and most punitive IAP models out there. gently caress this industry.

I have heard nothing but bad things. That includes on the game store. And the game store is a place where I have seen countless 4* reviews that said "game crashes whenever i try to play."

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

In addition to hearing that, I've also heard that it doesn't actually play like a Puzzle Quest game at all.

It does not. It is more of a puzzles and dragons knock off.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

Ugh. Just drew the nastiest team I've ever seen in Gems of War PvP:

Webspinner (Legendary, Green/Purple, active poisons your whole team, 2 damage to whole team, and creates 10 green gems)
Webspinner
Goblin Shaman (Rare, Purple/Brown, active creates 9 green gems, take another turn)
Hobgoblin (Ultra Rare, Red/Green, active does 6 damage to each of two enemies, take another turn)

One Webspinner is hard enough to stop once it gets on a roll. A second as a backup is just mean. Regardless, it means that as soon as the opponent gets Green, Purple or Brown rolling, you have to get lucky not to be screwed, because greens everywhere generally mean extra turns for him, extra uses of the actives to keep the board green, and then Hobgoblin can plink you to death at his leisure.

Oh wait till you valkryie added to mix :getin:

And i get like 10+ every match.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

Gem talk

When do I use souls to train? Save them up until I got good cards? Same with keys, just use them as I get them or save until I buy more kingdoms?

I say just level the units you are using to about level 10ish. Leveling up units is dirt cheap until about like 7-9 depending on rarity. A full arena run gets you about 425 souls which is basically enough to get someone to an okay level. You want at least a good enough team to get storyline epics and the week's pvp prize.

Also rarity doesn't affect how good a unit is. Common units are really really good. So I would focus on anyone that can change the board, gain an extra, or deal decent damage.

Keep an eye out for Valkyrie and Druid those are very powerful rares and they even work very well together.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I recently reinstalled Card Wars and I'm having a good time with it. It's a $4 game that should be free to play (stamina system, gems necessary for decent card pulls and card storage), but the game itself is pretty fun. The cards could be balanced in a more forgiving way, and they sure as hell could be more generous with the premium currency, but it is genuinely pretty fun, especially if you can pull a few good rare cards. They also have a spinner minigame which can negate enemy damage and double your damage, so that can potentially even things out, but I turn it off.

It is free to play now. And there are a lot of code that give high star cards and few heroes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gems of war talk.

I want to see if that swamplash is any good. 20 possible damage to a single target seems pretty brutal. But entangle is a rare status effects on lovely units that share colors with swamplash. It can entangle but that means you got to use the ability before the enemy rolls the 1/4th chance to remove entangle.

Basically the team is just swamplash and goblin shaman. Im unsure the two other units.

Edit: I didn't see green seer. Entangle plus change color to green. That use green, brown, purple, yellow. Now I just need a red.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 30, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gromdul posted:

More gems of war chat:

Gem Boys has 2 open slots. And I can probably kick an inactive if we need a third or fourth. Post your in game name or screen shot, and a picture of a robot playing a game. The super computer from Wargames is an excellent choice!

Can you save me a spot? My guild almost has the diamond and key quest done.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Does Gems of War ever get to the point where you can play regularly or is it always the whole "Out of gold? Pay here m'lord unless you want to wait until tomorrow." shtick?

Yeah just play pvp. I get somewhere in the range of 250-900 gold per fight (then a 50% bonus). I have bought everything a while ago and donated something like 7,000 to my guild today.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Is there still space in goon guild for gems of war?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The ai definitely takes to take your colors when they don't have better options. You usually see it when the ai is down to a single unit. They seem to prioritize your top colors.

And skills do seem to have requirements before the ai uses them. I poisoned the +4 armor and cleanse priestess. She spent three turns on 4 health and didn't cast her ability. But once she hit 3 health she casted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm getting weird color corruption on Gems of War on my Galaxy S6, anyone else seen this? It's only on certain interface elements, mainly load screens, and it looks kind of like the color depth is set wrong.

It works fine on my S5.