Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
How far do you have to go to get a code? Pretty fun so far, but I'm hungover as hell and can't focus on it right now... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

DRDELF6ALU is mine.. finally got there. :)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Does it run like absolute garbage on anyone else's phone? I've got a Galaxy S4, which isn't exactly state of the art these days, but it's constantly losing connection and loads really slowly.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are there any good Turn Based RPGs out? Preferably free, but I'll be ok with spending a little bit of coin, just not $20 worth of coin.

I'm not whatsoever interested in action games because they all control like poo poo.

What about city building, "check back later" games, without a p2w element?

Adventure Book games are fine too. Basically something I can play for five minutes between calls.

Kind of along the lines you're looking for- once this is released to the world, it will scratch the itch: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scopely.headshot

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm assuming Sproggiwood carries over between devices? I'd play it primarily on my tablet at home, but if I wanted to play around on my phone from work I could, right?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

Unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be any Play Games or any other cloud save support unfortunately.

That seems like a pretty serious oversight if that is the case since you're building a village if I'm reading everything right. We'll see, I'm installing now (only 15 minutes left on office wifi, yay!) and will report back this afternoon from the house if nobody beats me to it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

80 Days is just so drat good. They really did a decent job making every playthrough engaging. What does it mean when Passepourt's character changes (e.g "You are now zesty") does that change dialogue options or is it just flavour?

I played the gently caress out of that game and never pieced that together. I'm wondering if it triggers new options for specific interactions? The game is phenomenal though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Sproggiwood has absorbed all my phone gaming time, warts and all. Really cute, loads smoothly, mechanics are great. I'm generally poo poo at roguelikes, but having weapons and armor that continue over is a really nice feature. I'm still a little salty that I have no way to continue the same game that I play during the day to my tablet in the evenings, though, but it is a nice at-work time killer.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

EzEight posted:

at higher level play you pretty much stop with super big chains.

Wait will you encounter the falling spike ceilings.

Having to juggle monsters, item management and a time limit is insane.

I got to that point and stopped. Adding time limits to a game when I'm playing between clients and have to walk away at a moment's notice is a deal breaker.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey how good is 80 Days? It'll be a while before I have enough survey bucks to buy it, but it might be next on my list.

Remember when I posted about my wife getting caught answering the trap question incorrectly? Yeah, she's also been getting a ton of surveys and I haven't gotten any. :argh:

I got my first one in a really long time yesterday about if I like buying luxury products (I don't), but it gave me like $0.77 so I'm not complaining.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

It's too bad Desktop Dungeons isn't available for phones, I barely play on my tablet.

That was another Sproggiwood deciding factor.

Also, Sproggiwood is fantastic but sometimes brutally hard. What am I missing with the floating goldfish with the blue beam between them? They obliterate me because instead of dying they just teleport a little ways away and come back at full health.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I always worry about getting a duplicate survey because I don't want to give different answers. I answer honestly, but I still worry.

They should go full Tell Tale Games and after you mess up the next screen says "Google is going to remember that..."

In gaming news, I want to build a boat. That should be coming out soon, right?

Then go build a loving boat, what do we care?

Internet says June 4

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Scipiotik posted:

Just got 90 cents for a video survey question about BMO harris bank. Not a huge fan of having to watch a video.

loving Goons, bitching about free money..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

The English version of Final Fantasy Tactics is finally out on the Play Store. Like the iOS version, its based on the 2007 PSP port.

Whelp, easiest $14 I've ever spent.. Maybe now I'll get a chance to finish it- my PSP took a tumble down a flight of stairs before I could get more than a few hours in.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Can you tell us if it has the PSP slowdown still?

edit: coworker just bought it, and from the opening battle, the spell animations look a lot faster than I remember from PSP/PSN version.

I won't be playing it until tonight, but I'll report back. I'll be on a tablet if that matters.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So after the tutorial in YMBAB, I was sent to some kind of map where I tapped on something randomly and was sent to an area that seems way beyond me. Did I gently caress up? What's going on? Usually I can't get past the first enemy unless I get supremely lucky. I think I tapped on Masts or something at the top not knowing that I was supposed to tap on anything.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

Well I can't name any that's out at the moment but This War of Mine is coming out for Android next month, but its tablets only. The guy who made Canabalt also has a really intriguing "tactical roadtrip survival game" called Overland that's meant to be out soon as well.

edit: does Organ Trail count?

This War of Mine is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time. Totally recommend it, and it will probably do very well as a tablet game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Doctor Goon posted:

Does anyone know how FFT would run on a LG G3? I really want to get this, but something tells me that this is the kind of game designed for tablets that would run like poo poo and be near unreadable on a phone :ohdear:

It runs on my S4, so you shouldn't have any real issues.

That said, I haven't gotten very far and the interface feels a little clunky.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah that was me.. it's changed significantly and I don't think it's even available worldwide yet. I still really enjoy it, but apparently it's much harder to get started these days. They drastically lowered some reward payouts, they made it more expensive to level people up.. Most of the reviews are pure overreaction, but I see where they're coming from. You can freely switch between servers, and I have one server where I've spent $0 and one where I've spent $30, and the $30 is drastically further than the other based on the same playtime. I was trying to prove that it isn't pay to win, and it's technically not.. but it's definitely pay for a ton of extra convenience.

Edit: If you actually read the reviews, it's a lot of 1-stars complaining about a crash from an entirely different recent update that I personally never experienced on 2 devices. The ones complaining about June 13 changes are legitimate, but if you are able to install, I recommend giving it a shot before you write it off. They're complaining about their world being changed, but you wouldn't know the difference.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 14, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It's Fallout though. I want it yesterday. GET IT TOGETHER, BETH!

My non-Android-using wife downloaded it just to spite me. She's never even played a Fallout game.

WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME GET A DIVORCE, BETHESDA?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Coldbird posted:

So far it's very polished, runs well on my Note 4. Gameplay seems to be pretty straightforward match 3, not much innovation. I haven't gotten any premium monsters yet.

It's oddly slow paced, even for a match 3. Most moves don't result in attacks, and every move you make also lets the monsters make one, so you can't just bank a bunch of good potential matches then drop them all at once - the mobs will just throw them at you before then. It seems to feel a bit attrition-ey after a while, but I'm not that far and using the lovely default monsters. The monster abilities you get seem at least halfway interesting, not always just straight damage.

One odd design decision was to consolidate energy and gold into a single currency. Missions cost gold to launch, and you accumulate gold automatically in real time based on which part of the map you're occupying in the story. It presumably means if you don't play for a while, you don't waste 'energy' vs. a cap, but I'm not sure yet if there's any other constraints. You can also apparently spend gold on opening treasure chests, which I guess is good if you don't have time to play on a given day?

The game seems to live and die by internet connection. I have lovely office wifi and tried to play over my lunch break and it was abysmally slow between missions.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

If they added some sort of tapping component where a number got bigger over time, then goons would be all over it.

My god, why do I just give ideas like this away?! "GodVille 2 - Tapping for Jehova", Q4 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

The folks who made the original Puzzle Quest have a new game called Gems of War, which looks very much like Puzzle Quest.

Coldbird posted:

So far it's very polished, runs well on my Note 4. Gameplay seems to be pretty straightforward match 3, not much innovation. I haven't gotten any premium monsters yet.

It's oddly slow paced, even for a match 3. Most moves don't result in attacks, and every move you make also lets the monsters make one, so you can't just bank a bunch of good potential matches then drop them all at once - the mobs will just throw them at you before then. It seems to feel a bit attrition-ey after a while, but I'm not that far and using the lovely default monsters. The monster abilities you get seem at least halfway interesting, not always just straight damage.

One odd design decision was to consolidate energy and gold into a single currency. Missions cost gold to launch, and you accumulate gold automatically in real time based on which part of the map you're occupying in the story. It presumably means if you don't play for a while, you don't waste 'energy' vs. a cap, but I'm not sure yet if there's any other constraints. You can also apparently spend gold on opening treasure chests, which I guess is good if you don't have time to play on a given day?

I've been playing this quite a bit recently, and I actually really enjoy the presentation. The art is really solid apart from the player character for some reason who seems to be done in a slightly different style, but everything else looks great. The gameplay is balanced and makes sense. It takes a little while to load up- it keeps saying it's Downloading" every time you tap on something but I can't tell what. IAP doesn't seem to be a focus, but I tossed them $5 on a promo starter pack and I don't regret it. It gave me a ton of strong creatures to use and I really don't feel the need to give them any more at the moment. The thing that baffles me is the use of so many Blizzard assets. The PVP system is ripped straight from Hearthstone, from the rankings and stars to how you lose or gain ranks and flashing through quirky options before landing on the right match. And the Guild banner design is ripped straight from the banners in Diablo 3. I know this because I have the exact same design on my account.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Cryohazard posted:

Battle Gems is really a rather good game.

For anyone that's just glanced at it and turned away because lovely f2p mechanics, don't dismiss it entirely, and here's why.

1) There's no energy system. Gold is energy, energy is gold, and before long you earn gold faster than you can play. It's a non-factor.

2) Even common (white or the technically "Rare" green) monsters can have broken skills if you use them right. Raise the Dead creates 4 skulls at random and doesn't end your turn. Slam can reduce the entire enemy team's armor by a good 4 or 5 as well as exploding a gem of your choice. Howl reduces the attack of their front runner significantly for very little mana cost. These are at skill level 1. Skills are upgraded along with your monsters!

3) Banners and home cities affect your troops, so a team of 4 area-focused monsters with the right banner get substantial pseudo-set bonuses!

4) You can get purple/legendary units from questlines, no gachapon required. There are orange/epic units but they are rare as balls so don't worry about it, also they are not much better and more expensive to level!

5) Being in a guild gives you tons of free poo poo- invest your gold in guild quests to get rewards like treasure maps and keys. If everyone is pitching in, you end up with returns that make your investment seem trivial.

6) You will never run out of quests. There are hundreds of the loving things, at least 15 per area, with 2/3 battles in each. There are a good 30 challenge levels per area, too, and there are currently 17 areas, so, yeah.

7) You get to be the weapon master! Leveling your mana masteries gives you new weapons at certain points that do all kinds of stupid poo poo! Backstab their last unit, bypass armor, deal splash damage, spray damage across their whole team, explode a gem, eliminate colors from the board, there's a weapon for everything. Your weapon dictates what color mana your avatar uses to attack.

8) No more bullshit +5 skulls everywhere. They're gone!

9) PvP for gold, double your stake (you have to match the possible loot) or go home with nothing. You can trade your PvPbux for stuff depending on the weekly event, and it carries over between weeks. It's also not set at absurd poopsock levels, so you'll actually be able to afford the stuff!

10) Seriously, this game is Puzzle Quest in a way that MPQ just isn't. No essential random drops, no limited inventory, no wait timers, and there's really no need to put any $money in besides maybe forstraigh the Starter Pack.

Today in Battle Gems I noticed my Guild had done a few quests and I started with 6 keys (for monster packs) and 2 treasure maps. I spent 20 minutes just playing the treasure maps (they're like the PQ2 chest game, but more about upgrading treasure than straight looting it) and ended up with so much loot, including a premium key! Fighting one battle costs 60-70 gold, a key costs 1000 gold, so I logged in to 6000 (keys) + 2500 (treasure map gold) + 1000 (login bonus gold and town loot) worth of stuff, not including the extra loot from the maps (PvPbux, souls for monster levelling, some gems).

It's all-you-can-eat Puzzle Quest. And if I know goons, all-you-can-eat isn't an offer, it's a challenge, so come get some Battle Gems.

You're describing Gems of War. Battle Gems is an entirely different game. If you're not, then someone is gonna get sued..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.and.games505.gemsofwar&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.battleon.aqbattlegems&hl=en

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Deakul posted:

Why would this result in anyone getting sued?

See, it was a joke, because he was talking about the wrong game, and the way he described it, it was like he was describing the other game that he wasn't really talking about. Comedy isn't funny if you have to explain it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Cryohazard posted:

Whoops! I am in fact describing Gems of War.

Don't go back and edit your post or anything, wouldn't want people learning the correct name of the game you lovingly described.. ;)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Can someone shoot me an invite, code is GAVIN

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Haven't found it, did anyone figure out what to eliminate?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I finally found the guild, just took forever to cycle through.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

delfin posted:

Gonna ask this again because, well, I'm pretty much out. Kingdom opening costs keep going up, TH maps are fairly rare and mostly luck unless there's some ubercascade build no one's speaking of, and I'm sitting here waiting for my daily bonus. I had to PvP a couple of times to get enough gold to open my next kingdom and have enough gold to quest there once or twice. I thought about cheesing with Tyra to earn gold, but that's not very workable as you can't repeat easy levels and she's pretty fragile.

On the plus side, the game is pretty easy so far. I've only lost twice, once in story mode against a boss and once in PvP against a rather clever build that used a boss card (Webspinner) and support cards to basically turn half the board green over and over and chain cast some Venom spell.

Also amused that story mode starts you off with someone vaguely noble (Luther) and then lets you play janitor for a procession of horribly broken people. So far, I've met Sparkgrinder the extremely mad dwarf golembuilder, Atlanta the runaway ship captain, Rowanne the dryad who's dooming her whole forest, Tyri the self-absorbed thief, Elwyn the tone-deaf bard, and Ferit. Oh god Ferit. "Hi, I hate slavers and I have amnesia. Let's kill all the slavers who all seem to know me. Oh, I was a slaver. Oh, I helped snuff slaves to feed a ritual to bring back a Great Old One. Let's stop that ritual. Okay, now let's DO the ritual because I want to look at the Great Old One and become insane again."

I like the Lady Vampire who you kill people for for no particular reason other than her asking you to do it. I'm pretty well convinced we're being charmed or mind controlled throughout that scenario but it turns out well.

The game seems pretty generous with drops, too. You get the storyline character as a playable card with at the end of the zone's questline, and they're all pretty beefy. Plus, I got a magic key from.. something. Think I saved up and bought it. It gave me this ultra badass named Raven whose power is R/B 6 damage (at whatever level I am), but if it kills the target, he gets "most of" the gems back. At the level I am, he gets enough back that one more match with Red or Blue will top him off again, so he's a great finisher- AE the opposing group and use him to finish everyone off. Plus, he's pretty tough on his own. Great pull.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I haven't bothered with flags, all my dudes are from random regions..

I don't know why the game is so compelling to me, it's "just another match-3" but it seems more gentle and generous than others while maintaining some level of challenge.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

For those of you pining for it like me, Fallout Shelter in August!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

psylent posted:

Aside from the fact that it's Fallout themed the game itself is boring as poo poo, but if you're into that kind of thing you'll probably enjoy it for a while.

I'll play anything Fallout related until my fingers bleed. Since this was a huge success, they are hiring more members on to their mobile games team. Excited to see what the future holds. Hopefully they have shorter Android lead times with their next release.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Gems of War folks: Where on the map is Maugram Woods?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

dpack_1 posted:

Lifeline is on sale right now.

It's a real time interactive story where you are in radio contact with a stranded astronaut who crashlanded on an alien moon. You choose responses to his questions and suggest what actions he takes (check out those mountains or try to get back to the wreckage of the ship for example). He then sets off to carry out the action and tells you he'll be in touch when he is done. You get a notifcation when something interesting happens or he simply updates his feelings (my legs feel like jell-o, oh great, now all i can think about is eating jell-o!).

I've only been playing for the first 3 or 4 hours but it's a really nice way of telling a story that you can catch up on during a poop / smoke break.

That sounds like a great use for my Google Play/Home Depot Fun Bux!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Anyone else getting false notifications? It'll say he's waiting on me but he's "busy" when I open the app.

Overall though.. really clever, I'm digging it. Wonder how long the story goes or if it's kind of a repeating loop depending on if he survives or dies.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

apokaladle posted:

I got Lifeline the other day and just uninstalled it. I loved the whole concept, but Taylor was just insufferable. She was constantly making snarky remarks, right from when she had just crashed on the deserted moon or even right after finding most of the crew dead. I was completely willing to meet the game halfway, but that completely took me out of it. I played for a while, accidentally killed her a few times, and just didn't find it that compelling.

She? I mean, I guess it is a unisex name with Taylor Swift, but I was just assuming it was a guy..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

hooah posted:

How long does Taylor sleep for on the first night? I've gotten two notifications since he or she went to sleep saying "Taylor is waiting for you", but there wasn't anything new in the app.

A few hours. Same thing happened to me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I got bit by the same trap. I guess that idea is that 150 rads may well kill you at some point in the future, but freezing will kill you right now.

Incidentally, every time I go into the app, the text is all the way at the top. Is there a way to get to the bottom quickly that isn't 'flick the screen like you're spinning the Price is Right wheel'?

Mine did that for a while then fixed itself. No word on whether or not it will go back eventually..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I have zero utility in my group, I'm all damage. I've got a Furry group going now.. Ranger, Druid, and that Bear guy you could buy with PVP tokens, and a purple weapon on my character. It's not a terrible mix really, just based on utilizing every piece of mana I pull (other than brown but the bear needs them on the board for damage on his power), so I just destroy everything with overwhelming force. I know it won't last forever, but it's fun to coast with right now.

I also pulled the Goblin King legendary right before the update, so I'm glad they changed the ability with this patch. It was garbage before- so garbage I didn't even read it more than once to remember what it was. Now he "summons goblins".. not sure what that even means. I may need to make a Goblin team and try him out if I had souls to level them.

EDIT: Also, Lifeline talk- I'm getting the whole "Taylor = girl" thing the further I get into it. Not to be sexist or anything. I guess a guy could have rambling freakouts like that. But the voice in my head as I'm reading is changing from guy to girl as time goes on.