Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

foutre posted:

I have two 9 hour plane flights coming up, and I'm trying to stock up on games. Right now I have Dragonfall, Banner Saga, King of Dragon Pass, and some Kairosoft games installed. Are there any really immerisive, lengthy games worth adding? With the caveat that I've already played through all the Infinity Engine games on Android.

The Tales of Ilyria series from this guy fits the bill pretty well. Incredibly enjoyable games and still on sale in preparation of the third chapter being released.

The descriptions and pictures basically paint exactly what you're getting. The writing is competent, the world is well designed and feels complete and the mechanics know exactly what they want to be and hit that mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Okay just had a quick flick through this thread and can't find what I have wanted to ask, but does anyone have any recommendations for the "Choice of" games series? Just in terms of which ones are good and which are terrible.

Robots is by FAR my favourite and should be your first purchase unless you absolutely hate the setting. Kung Fu is also solid. The Heroes trilogy features some pretty horrid writing, it does get better through the series but some annoying things keep coming up that took me out of it. I didn't feel ripped off though, if you like the setting it's worth considering.

Hosted Games use the same engine and there are some really nice choices there too. I've enjoyed Life of a Wizard the most, feels very D&D, rpg mechanics are satisfying and it's given me plenty of incentive to try to do other things when I start a new game of it. Sabres of Infinity is great. I haven't seen anyone else mention this so I might be crazy, but it felt very Imperial Guard in WH40k. Only one chapter in an incomplete series so there's a lack of closure. Paradox Factor is only $1 and more of a puzzle game than adventure, nothing wrong with that but really it just made me think about those I played back in the day. Can't think of anything offensively bad about it though.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 13, 2015

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Applied for Goons as Ytterbite

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Shwqa posted:

https://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Somehow all of those old lovely online based rpgs of the late 90s/early 00s survived

:catstare:

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
If anyone has any vague interest in playing Dragonball Legends, the surprisingly well designed gacha fighting game, now is the time to start for sure.

They just got done implementing a ridiculous amount of QoL upgrades over the past month or so, almost all of which were suggestions from f2p players and new players that nobody ever thought would get put in. But as of an hour ago, their yearly December celebration, "Legends Festival" just started and I think it might be the most generous gacha event I've seen?

I'm not gonna go on and on about it, but the 2 main banners are actually just unbelievably good. Play for 2 weeks and put all your free premium currency in the 10 pulls for Goku/Vegeta banner and your team will probably be better than the one I've been putting together for the past year.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I usually go on a strategy game deep dive on android every few years and the pickings are pretty slim but there's a few I've loved.

Templar Battleforce RPG is a great little tactics RPG made by possibly my favourite indie devs. 40k themed, mechanically satisfying and overall very well designed. The art isn't great but it plays a lot better than it looks. The demo is here.

Dungeon Maker - The Card game is a really unique and satisfying strategy game. It does have some slight gacha elements but as a b2p game, it's not bad. You can't pull doubles so you'll eventually unlock everything. If the design puts you off, it might not be right for you because it sure does lean into it, but it's a serious strategy game and it just keeps getting deeper for a long time. Unbelievably satisfying and it will eat up as much time as you want it to.

Legion War is a game that's pretty heavily inspired by Advance Wars. Free with IAP to unlock different races and has some permanent progression that's grindy without premium currency, but I never found purchases necessary to 3* every level.

Legion War - Hero Age is another game by the same guys, but it's more of a strategy/4x game. Plays a bit like the free indie game, Battle for Wesnoth (which is also on Android btw). I don't know why the reviews are so low. There's some attempts at mobile monetization that feel a little bit gross but like with the first game, I always felt like that was added on top of a perfectly complete game. The game is pretty in depth though, and the UI suffers for it.

And if you haven't delved the well yet, emulators is probably the best bang for your buck you can get for non-gacha strategy games. The above games have served me well but 95% of my strategy gaming on android has been through emulators for good reason.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Hand Row posted:

How did Dungeon Maker change its leveling system? I always liked it because it’s kinda like a tower defense system but I recall something where you are supposed to end your game at day 100 for a long rear end time and it grew tiresome for me.

I don't know exactly what they did to it, but on a fresh install I did a 100 day run and a 300 day run and I unlocked all the base cards and half 1st expansion cards and half the difficulties. :psyduck:

So yeah they fixed that lol.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does this game have asynchronous multiplayer? I've been missing playing async strategy games, I'm wondering if there's anything new out there. Used to play Uniwar a ton which was great but I think I'd like something fresh and new.

It's possible but the multiplayer is completely dead, and the game doesn't really feel built for multiplayer anyway. Securing the win is needlessly annoying vs humans.

It's not new or fresh to most, but if you wanted to play some Advance Wars style async multiplayer, Advance Wars By Web is doing pretty good and that works on Android, but yeah the pickings are very slim.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
The M:TG inspired League of Legends card game, Legends of Runeterra has a single player mode that they've been working on/reworking for a while now, and I think its currently in a pretty good spot and would recommend it.

It's nothing ground breaking, it's no Slay the Spire or anything, but if you wanted some single player MTG gauntlet roguelite action, with some out there stuff that would never fly in a real game then it's basically that.

There's some permanent progression, 12 unlockable champions/starting decks, and as far as I can tell, it's completely f2p. There's actually no way to give them money or bring cards in from the multiplayer game modes. Unexpected because this has clearly taken a good chunk of work. It's just a fun little thing they've made for free I guess.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Slice and Dice 2.0 just dropped.

patch notes posted:

Huge update, so much has changed.

+40 new heroes (including alternate t1 heroes)
+11 new modes
+213 new items
+23 new monsters (including 5 bosses)
+52 new keywords
+175 new blessings/curses (+474 more kinda)
+80 new achievements
+20,000 more heroes???
More events (like challenge)
Almanac expanded & improved

Much more, check patch notes in-game. Book->Almanac->Patch.

Holy moly that's a lot of new content.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Limbus Company, the new gacha RPG by Project Moon (Lobotomy Corporation, Library of Ruinia) just globally released.

If you know those games you are probably already downloading it, if not, just know that these guys make really unique, unsettling, complex and fun games unlike anyone else.

At the moment Limbus Company is sitting on a 97% positive rating on Steam, so seems like they might have done it again.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
SaGa: Emerald Beyond just released on everything https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.SaGaEmeraldBeyondw

Did anyone play the previous game, Scarlet Grace, on mobile, and could say whether it feels okay to play like that?