Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just to clarify, what that means is that the game always ends in a drawn out hell war and your entire game economy up to then is to support that. Not that that's a bad thing, Polytopia whips rear end! But a nation builder it is not.
No, it's absolutely not a nation builder. It's somewhere between tactical wargame + puzzle in the guise of a civ-like game.

But it plays great in mobile format.

Also "drawn out war" is more the Dominion mode. You can play purely for score in Perfection mode, which just ends in 30 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wrong thread yadda yadda but my Samsung S10+ had a voice recorder. (but back to OnePlus now)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jailbreaking your phone? In Android?

---

In modern Android I've had to connect USB to my PC to get full access to the file system, but I didn't need to hack anything after they made that change where apps can't access system files or the files of other apps.

(I did this to copy my Steam save of Slay the Spire to the Android version.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks like a permanent price drop (and $20 CAD) ... put it in my wishlist in case I ever run out of games. (Already played the poo poo out of it on PC!)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know this game. Do I want it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm looking for a strategy/tactics game I can sink my teeth into a little bit that isn't gacha, is there anything good on android or am I outta luck there
Ever tried Polytopia? It's basically 95% tactics, 5% strategy. You only pay to make the game longer or slightly more varied. You can play the game completely for free without any nags. The DLC just adds more nations to choose from and compete against.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I want a non-gacha, non-freemium, non-clash of clans turn based strategy game, or story game, or rpg game? on android, that isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or KOTOR or XCOM, what are my options?

I don't mind paying, I got close to $20 in google bucks burning a hole in my pocket
Heh I didn't finish it, but I played KOTOR for the first time on my phone and was surprised at how well it played ... frankly better than trying to play the original on my PC. But now I want to wait for the remake before completing it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are there any good ports of old cRPGs or similarly styled games that anyone can recommend? Think lile Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Planescape Torment type games.
To be clear you mean games unique from those, right? Because Beamdog did port virtually all of the Infinity Engine stuff to Android.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd love a mobile Front Mission. That's awesome.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I've got tenbux in Google survey money but the reviews mention a bunch of touchscreen issues

Is it decently playable? God I'm too stupid for deckbuilders but enjoy it on steam despite losing most runs
Weird! I've played stupid amounts of hours on an S10+ and OP 9Pro and never had such an issue.

The only (very minor) issues I've had:

- it takes slightly too long to first load, thanks to syncing with its cloud (fwiw loads instantly in airplane mode, I tested for a curious friend)
- occasionally an enemy status effect is obscured by the foreground
- my camera hole blocks an unnecessary part of the screen

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 24, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Poopy Palpy posted:

Which is pretty infuriating, since it doesn't have cloud saves. What is it even syncing?
It doesn't have cross-save to other platforms (which I would loving love) but I think it's still a cloud-save to the Google Play stuff? So yay it's synced to all your Android devices. :rolleyes:

I should have added, the save data is copyable between Android and PC versions of the game (and presumably Mac). In theory it might work with other platforms, but you can't typically access console or iOS file systems without hacks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Love it, but should probably just finally play my DS cart lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Farquar posted:

I've never bothered installing any because I assumed they were trashy microgames (until this Into the Breach announcement). What are some good Netflix games?
The only one so far that caught my eye was Shatter. That was a stylish Arkanoid/Breakout update for PS3.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fwiw it counts as a win if you both die the same turn. And join us in the S&S thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295 :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just noticed the special tribes in Polytopia are all on sale for half price (Steam version too). I've played this game for years without ever touching the modified rules tribes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'll stan for Slice & Dice, Polytopia, Slay the Spire, You Must Build a Boat, Lara Croft Go... and some good PC/console ports are the XCOM games and KOTOR.

I'm enjoying Shattered released by Netflix, but it's hard to call it "a phone game". It's a modern Breakout/Arkanoid version I used to play on PS3. It's nice but I prefer stuff that's turn-based/slower on mobile.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm surprised they stripped maps out of it. I didn't chime in because I've only played XCOM1 on Android, which I was surprised by how great it was.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Herbotron posted:

Bleentoro: Factorio if it was a puzzle game. That should be enough to tell you if you're interested.
The screenshots made me wish for The Incredible Machine to become a mobile game. I searched the store and can see some knock-offs.

edit: dang, I can see there was an iOS version over ten years ago from looking it up on Wikipedia. I guess that means it likely wouldn't even run on modern devices.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Knowing nothing about this, have you researched it?

I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could copy my savedata between the Steam and Android versions of Slay the Spire. On Ascension 20 for the Silent now!!!!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

When I open the Netflix app, there's a separate Games tab on it which lists them all and links to the downloads.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel like I'm the only shill for it here, but Polytopia plays great in portrait.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

I've been playing so much of sloce and dice after the big update. It's so god drat good.

Is there anything else floating out there in the same vein?I'd kill for a proper turn based tactics gsme but there really doesn't seem to a lot out there unless I finally startup on emulators

Seconding the XCOM ports; they play well on Android.

But also I love Polytopia which is a mobile rear end tactics game. It superficially looks like a Civilization type of thing, but it's so simplified, it's essentially pure tactics. Free to start with four nations (no ads), and additional ones cost a couple bucks each and go on sale regularly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Organic Lube User posted:

I played the poo poo out of it for like a week before I was able to figuratively see the spreadsheet behind everything and lost interest.
I'm surprised you fell off so quick. I feel the different tribes and terrains mix it up enough to force you to adapt. And the modes too offer solid challenges. But congrats on solving it I guess.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah that's different. I play a few matches every few months these days, but every time I'm always surprised at how well it's held up. Also I'm surprised they're still developing it and adding/tweaking rules. Like diplomacy was not a thing at all when I first started.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Besides Slay the Spire, noticed #ymbab is a bit glitchy on my Android 13 OnePlus 9P. Totally playable and doesn't crash like StS, but it often lets me add more quests than I should be able to and has a display glitch on the mission select.

I mostly mention because it's a bit disappointing that stuff can apparently decay over OS releases if not maintained by the authors.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sigh. Starting Into The Breach over from scratch. I'm just way more likely to play this on my phone than PC these days. And it's great. So great.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

There was very recently 2 episodes of Designer Notes, one with each of the devs from ItB and FTL, it's a podcast that's a long form interview process with devs. You might really like to listen to that while you play it if you're already on your phone.
Thanks! Might very well like more than just those episodes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Cool, in that case I'll add the person who does the podcast is actually the lead dev from Civ 5, offworld trading company, old world, etc.
Whole-hearted thank you. Really liked Soren Johnson's work (to nitpick, I don't think he was involved in Civilization by 5), but Josh Sawyer talking about Ultima? Be still my heart.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Silius posted:

Isle of Arrows

I picked this up today and have been having a lot of fun. Rougelike tower defense with tile placement. Really fresh ideas.
Had an itch to play tower defence. Haven't had a mobile one since the first gen iPod Touch. So I searched the thread and found this recommendation from November.

I'm really enjoying it! I thought the isometric visual style was evocative of a lot of favourite mobile games ... then I realised it's a solo project by the director of Hitman & Lara Croft GO :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kotor plays great on my phone, and I'd say has a better interface + graphics than trying to play the old PC version. There was supposed to be a remake coming out but I think it's in limbo now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CaptainBeefart posted:

Its been fun playing Castlevania SotN after Vampire Survivors to see where the inspiration came from.

Also Castlevania SotN is really really good, I didn't realize it had so much depth to it.
The later Gameboy Advance/DS games all build upon SotN if you're looking for more. There is a recent collection of the Advance ones on current systems, but not on mobile unfortunately.

And then the director after leaving Konami kickstarted Bloodstained, which is like the ultimate version of all those games. It's been an amazing project. I love it, but some people whine it's 2.5D and not pixel art. This one is on mobile apparently (I had no idea!) but I have no idea how it plays on a phone: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bloodstained&c=apps

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was messing around on Google Play and noticed I had a notification for a Google Play Games beta from a month ago to be able to play Android games on my PC ... had to mess around with BIOS/UEFI to enable virtualisation, and install Windows features to be able to open the app ... and it's just a small fixed selection of games I've never heard of.

But cool if in future I could play/sync some of my faves on PC.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

edit: weird Google Play Games glitch on PC but I think I'm not understanding how something is supposed to work

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 11, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This nifty thing finally got an Android version. I don't really have a use for it now but wanted one back when they were iPhone-only. Might grab one though if my girlfriend's kid starts hogging the TV.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05/23/backbone-one-playstation-edition-launches-on-android-today/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jows posted:

I have a Samsung, and when I plug my phone into my usb-c hub I get a desktop interface. Not all games are compatible with mkb though
The Windows Phone thing was pretty good with my Samsung 10+ too. I could play a bunch of games on an emulated phone window, clicking away. Some unfortunately didn't seem to react to clicks though. Also annoyingly it basically needed to keep the phone screen on, though later versions could mostly black it out.

My OnePlus can only manage SMS, photos, calls via Windows Phone. As well I could have phone notifications pop on my desktop, but meh I have a watch for that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

All I know of are Unciv, a free Civ 5 clone; Civilization Revolutions 2 which is a simplified game, kinda closer to the original Civ 1.

I mostly play Polytopia which is extremely simplified and mostly tactical combat. There are building+tech tree mechanics. It's free to play and you spend a few bucks to add more factions to the game beyond the default four.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You can play without the turn limit too of course. There's a lot going on, but yeah ... I was going to mention how the stripped down simplicity makes it more of a puzzle but realistically all 4X games are puzzles when you distill their mechanics.

The other factions go on sale pretty often.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, I'd buy and play the gently caress out of SimAnt on mobile, if such a thing existed.

I gotta hand it to good edutainment software; that poo poo really does stick with you for years. I learned a gently caress ton about ants (and gained a ton of respect for them) as a kid from that game.
That sounds like an awesome idea.

The last legit version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego I played was on BlackBerry of all platforms.

edit: searching, this is cool!! https://earth.google.com/web/@17.90...cGxhc2hzY3JlZW4

edit2: blah, great concept but it's an overly simple version of the classic game. No need to identify the henchman, just follow the clues to the trail

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 11, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

notaspy posted:

Hello thread, is there a tower defense game that you could recommend. Not bothered about having to pay for it but I don't want a million in app purchases.
I'm enjoying Isle of Arrows. It's by one of the leads from the Lara Croft/Hitman/Deus Ex Go games. It shows in the art especially.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sleekly posted:

yeah its perfect for that. as a bonus if ever you come across someone with the cardboard version youll already know the good parts to grab!
Counter point: the mobile version is a lot more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

awesome. Have it already...should probably actually play it on my upcoming ten hour flight.