Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The one I see a lot is a guy in armour who is trapped in a box, and it looks like the player has to pull out pins to either flood his part of the level with water, lava or treasure. Only as you say, it seems like the person 'playing' the ad deliberately gets it wrong. I suspect that it's to tweak your empathy and at the same time make the viewer think that they could do it better.

It's 100% the second one. It's very overt a lot of the time with a fake 'button' saying 'now you try' or words to that effect. It's a good trick; even though when you download the game and find it's literally an entirely different genre, you probably won't stick around. But like anything on the internet, if like 1% of people decide to hang around and play the 'real' game, it's still worth it.

Amusing side note: I downloaded AFK Arena because I saw an ad for it that made it look like an action RPG. But then I got hooked. So the system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Jabor posted:

ban iaps entirely, one-off up-front payments only and buyers can get refunds if they feel they didn't get what they were promised

*mobile gaming industry dies overnight*

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So do I just delete them?

You can retire them at the Rickety Cart to get some tokens and dust. You can also set this up to happen automatically so you can just ignore green heroes forever (do this).

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Xtanstic posted:

I recently discovered this game and am enjoying it a lot. It's hitting the same itch as Meteorfall in that it's 'baby mode Slay the Spire'. Is the DLC worth it?

The extra characters are 100% worth it - each one has a completely different set of cards and plays very differently. I haven't tried the expansion that came out recently yet, but I hear good things as well.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

NPR Journalizard posted:

You should pick the 5 you will use the most and then level them roughly equally. The resonating crystal will take care of the other randoms. If you really want to minmax, just level heroes that can hit L+ so you dont need to relevel them when you get to the current cap, but you can recycle them easily enough so its not really needed. Having said that, Saveas is a beast, Vedan and Shemira make a good combo, so do Belinda and Rosaline. Apparently Arden is one of the few heroes who can get to 160 and still be effective at even higher levels.

Focus all of your resources on Shemira, at the expense of every else if need be. You won't regret it. Even at Chapter 20 she is still carrying my team almost entirely, the other 4 only exist to keep her alive long enough to cast her Ult. Her shards are available from the Labyrinth shop, and other than maybe one purchase of Nemora, who is also pretty good, you should be priotise buying Shemira shards until she is Ascended tier.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
For people who finished Night of the Full Moon, I can recommend Pirates Outlaws. It doesn't quite have the depth or crazy combos of NotFM since you're limited to a 5-card hand and there's much less draw floating around, but it scratches my deckbuilder roguelike itch.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm thinking that this means that if you mess up and kill all your dudes that you have to start over, the game will save your progress if you quit out or restart your phone or the game gets killed out of memory.

Yeah, it's really more 'no reloading' than 'no saving'.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you expand on this. Played night and won my first run and that's $6 vs $1 pirates.

There's a lot more to NotFM beyond the first run, keep at it. The difficulty does ramp up, it gets decently challenging once you start the hard modes. Pirates is a lot more luck based since there's no way to increase your hand size and there's a mana mechanic (ammo) that can leave you well hosed if you draw the wrong 5 cards. It's fun, but not as good as NotFM.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not that I don't want all of the talk for game I'm not playing to stop (I very much do!*), but the best way to kill discussion of a mobile game is to give it its own thread.

*I don't actually blame anyone for talking at length about this stuff. It's on me for not wanting to see it all the time, really.

There's not enough depth to warrant a thread, it would end up on page 6 within days. Keep up the chatter here though, nice to see others playing. I friended a bunch of goons but don't see much point in jumping guilds since the one I'm in is already level 5 and unless they bring back Guild Wars there's not much to do in guild other than collect points to buy Mystic gear.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

explosivo posted:

I think I'm done with Hero Park as well, I was really enjoying it but it does get to be a lot to juggle later on. The biggest downside for me is when you are pushing for a challenge or to get a chest you really have to dial in and focus when everybody's flooding into your town. It gets easier when you get more auto-craft slots but I still found myself needing to open up all the stores quickly in succession to keep stuff stocked, and the UI isn't the best so this got to be a pain to tap in and out of each shop quickly for the duration of the rush. I would prefer it if the game was a steady stream of people coming in rather than short bursts of lots of people flooding in because you're burning all your attracts. Having a boss in your dungeon basically does this until they die, but as far as I know there's no way to get a boss other than finishing in a good spot on the daily challenge.

Yeah, the UI isn't great, especially once your shops/dungeons get large. I notice that the Armorsmith has a +10 remember production at level 10; if the rest all have that as well, it means once you get high enough level you can almost entirely automate everything except the dungeons. In general it's keeping me interested, but it's a 'play for 5 minutes when energy fills up then put it down for a few hours' game for sure. I'm level 17 now I think and I can get boss monsters around 50% of the time from the challenges, so that's helping too.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Nephzinho posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the Lucent Veil in AFK that the last chest being guarded just curbstomps you after you breeze through the rest of the dungeon?

A tip that helped me beat it was to use Athalia, if you have her - she will stun the sword guy (I forget his name) and stop him from doing the whirlwind that wipes half your team.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Morpheus posted:

I mean, it's easy to do - you just completely and utterly avoid the 'free to play' section of the store. Lots of good games. Lots of games that, unfortunately, simply don't have the budget to advertise (usually in other f2p games)

When I want something that I know will be simple and just poke that gacha part of my brain, I browse the f2p section, otherwise I stay far away because they're always all trash.

Even the paid games these days still have pay-to-win microtransactions. It's rare to see a game where you pay the sticker price and that's it.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Konstantin posted:

I'm pretty sure that for a few grand at most, you could just hire a programmer to hack any mobile game to give you infinite premium currency and set up a private server if needed. Of course, most of these games wouldn't be much fun without the gambling aspect, just like it's no fun to play blackjack or roulette with no money on the line.

I dunno, people spend thousands on Candy Crush-likes and other single-player games with no gacha mechanics. It's not always about the gambling.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

600 this time. Not bad

So far I have been affected by exactly zero of these bugs they keep compensating us for. But I sure enjoy the free currency!

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Yeah, there was a quest to (sexually?) harass the Black Market lady until she throws you out. They removed it because it was shady as gently caress, but you can still click on her if you're into that sort of thing.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

So what's this tower defense thing they added to afk?

It's a reformatted version of Guild Wars that they had a while ago. You get assigned an 'enemy' guild and you invade their base, they invade yours, winner gets free stuff. It makes both the layout of your guild base and your personal base important, since those are the troops the enemy has to fight through.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Ulala chat - what's the deal with Monster Chests? Are the items supposed to show up in your inventory when the timer finishes or do you need to do something to claim them? I've had a couple where I've had a roll in the high 90s with one team member left to roll, but I wake up in the morning and the chest is gone and I don't have the item, which seems ... unlikely.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

tater_salad posted:

Need a full team and need everyone to roll.

So if one butthole is afk and doesn't roll, no-one gets anything? That's pretty dumb.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the best way to do this?

Set it on fire.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I make most of my choices based off this tier list, it's regularly updated when new heroes are added and even between patches when the meta shifts.

https://www.afkarena.net/tier-list

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dragongem posted:

AFK arena finally fixed the annoying issue where you have faction scrolls, but your faction is still 3 days away! For only the low, low price of 300 diamonds you can switch it to what you want.

Whales gonna whale. Honestly I'm surprised it's only 300 diamonds.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Yeah, I don't see how it's different to any other kind of skill-based tournament with cash prizes. As long as they are actually paying out.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also, Elder Scrolls Blades is having a patch soon that completely removes chest timers, so if you enjoyed the gameplay of that at all it may be worth trying again. They also recently added jewelry.

Does it work on non-flagship phones yet

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Unperson_47 posted:

Does anyone remember an older puzzle game where you placed hex shaped pieces with animals on them on a grid? Each animal had different properties. For example, an elephant had high attack and hp but could only attack up and to the right and there was one animal that had low hp but could attack in all 6 directions. You took turns against a cpu placing the pieces.

Everlands?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Is there a goon presence in Dungeon Crusher? Seems like a pretty deep semi-idle game, it's been banging around on Kongregate for years before the mobile version was released. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, and I see a bunch of guilds with Goon in the name but no indications that any of them are us.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Trastion posted:

I am playing but i'm not in a guild. I will join one if there is a goon guild.

Why don't I get any of the items for upgrading the guys? I get all kinds of items but none of the ones you need to upgrade (helmet and stuff). I am over level 60 and I have even prestiged once already.

The item description shows you what levels it can drop from. I think the first tier of ready-made gear is 400/600. The items to craft it yourself can drop earlier (recipes are on the wiki), but it's not really worth bothering with. Within a week or so of starting you'll have more of it than you can shake a stick at.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

SpookyLizard posted:

I got into this thinking it would be an idle equivalent of recetter or something similar, but it's surprisingly deep and the guild mechanics are neat. Basically the whole town is the guild, and everyone can invest money into the different services we all use to level them up. Leveling them doesn't make them better, but unlocks other stuff and raises the max level of the character who uses that building. The guild can also assign a building as the focus so everyone's donations are cheaper. I think the cost increases as you donate more, but only for you. If one donation costs 100 gold and two donations cost 300 gold, I can donate 300 gold for two donations, or someone else can also give 100 gold and we'll raise it the same amount. You also get guild tokens for donating, which let you open bags of free poo poo.

Wait, all this money I've been pouring into upgrading buildings in the city is going to go away when I switch guilds? :smith:

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

staplegun posted:

edit: i'm using https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CtY77u7AwsDUFCfZ3LlrCozlG18i_Elu/view as a resource for how to build my questing squad. Is it still relevant?

It was last updated 4 days ago, so I imagine so.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The crashes start in earnest the second the outright handholding ends. Just could not finish a quest properly without having to reload the game was my experience; it's too bad because it was my jam up until then.

The devs do seem to be working on fixing the crashes and other issues, which is nice. Come back in a couple of months and it might be a pretty sweet game.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

explosivo posted:

I checked this game (Masters of Madness) last night after initially telling me it was too full and it let me install it this time. Seems alright so far but nothing spectacular about it just yet.

I deleted it after I prestiged the first time (I think at around 100 billion souls? Got 6 of the 'ether' prestige currency) and gained basically nothing in terms of speed improvement. And there doesn't appear to be much depth to it either, once you've unlocked sigils you've basically seen it all, after that it's just 'numbers go up'.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I was enjoying Shop Titans until I was insta-banned for reversing (via Google, not chargeback) a $70 gem purchase my kid made by accident. Kinda soured me on the whole thing.

Is it normal in games for any kind of purchase reversal done through Google Play to result in your account being instantly and permanently banned from the game? Makes me very wary about deliberately spending cash on anything.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Lowness 72 posted:

Slay the Spire just released on the Play store! $10

Holy poo poo, it actually happened.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Kind of digging Marvel Revolutions, not going to lie. If you played Lineage 2: Revolution its literally the same game just with a Marvel skin. Which is pretty great cause I played the poo poo of that and I didn't even like the setting that much.

Definitely very p2w though, especially in PvP. If that kind of thing bothers you, avoid. Still plenty of fun F2P as long as you don't mind not being the top dog.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

JuffoWup posted:

Oh hey, there is the android thread. Randomly stumbled on World of Airports. Has anyone tried it? Apparently been out for 2 years. I'm up to the third airport unlocked right now (Prague). So far, the monetization seems really light for a f2p game. Gold lets you unlock planes (you still have the buy the planes using money specific to the airport you are playing). And the gold can be converted to cash as well. But so far, I haven't used my gold yet. They also have a way to let you make gold by selling planes after a certain point. Also a mission to visit a player's airport 100 times (be it one you've rolled the dice for or put in a friend's name) nets you 1 gold as well. And mission is repeatable.

Gameplay isn't much different I suppose from tiny tower, farmville, simpsons game (the one where you build your own version of the town), etc. Airplanes show up on a queue for the runway and you select them into a ramp/terminal. Once they land, you go through the motion of parking the plane, start the offboarding, unloading luggage, fuel the plane, etc. And each of those services has levels you can upgrade to reduce the time it takes along with buying more of them.

Seems like they missed an opportunity to call it World of Aircraft

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Out of curiosity, how is this legal if they are just making an exact replica of Civ V? Or did they somehow manage to get permission?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Push El Burrito posted:

Any recommendations for a decent asymmetrical game? Something I can do a turn then a friend can do something a few hours later if they feel like? Not, like, super complicated like civ or anything just a fairly casual thing.

Just in case you're trying to google this, asynchronous is the word you are looking for.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Played one game of Dawncaster, died pretty early to a bleed-spamming bandit boss but I think I'm hooked. If you liked StS or Night of the Full Moon, definitely pick this one up.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Relentless posted:

The hard part is staying alive until you can get it rolling with such a thin deck, because anything NOT part of the chain/free spell/free draws can really slow you down. There's a weird transition point where you have all these spells that you've taken because you needed survivability or didn't have any better options, but now they're in the way of one or two shotting everything and making you take more damage per fight instead of less.

The hardest part is the first boss, with the permanent 'max 4 actions per turn' it can be extremely hard to outpace her healing unless you've gotten lucky with rewards.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
So, apparently there's a talent Stormbringer that lets your chain carry over to the next battle. Game got very easy after that.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Not quite as impressive but this was my last Hunter run. Exterminate adds its damage to the next attack, so damage was scaling geometrically with crits taken into account. I think I killed Dante in three hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I assume that's the "when you add a duplicate, upgrade all copies 2 times" talent?

Yeah, and also 'when you upgrade a card, upgrade it again' which I think fires per level of upgrade (i.e. upgrade twice becomes upgrade 4 times, not 3)