Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Knights of the Old Republic should be added to the PC Port list as well, I've found it to be pretty good on my Nexus 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Yellow Ant posted:

Is QuizUp any better?

Lightbot is really cool, cheers to highme for the suggestion.

The general quality of questions on QuizUp is better, as are the categories. It's still self-moderated though, so you'll get a decent amount of questions written in bad English or that are incorrect, but generally I think QuizUp is better.

Also Trivia Crack seemed to be like trivia for babies in terms of difficulty, something QuizUp doesn't necessarily have (it does, but not nearly as bad).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TraderStav posted:

I mentioned this briefly in the last thread before it closed but are there any gamepads that'll mimic a mouse? I really want something nice to use with my Nexus 7 (preferably so that I can hold the whole bit together) to play Civilization 5 over Limelight.

Can't answer your question really, but how well does Limelight work with the Nexus 7? This is the first I'm seeing of any ability to stream PC games onto my tablet to play, besides using something like Remote Desktop.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I read that the Android version of Final Fantasy 6 has (or hopefully only had at launch) always-on DRM that would prohibit you from playing the game if you didn't have a data connection (like, on a plane). Does anyone know if this is still the case or if it was patched out?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Onean posted:

Tried it again myself in airplane mode, just in case that made a difference. Worked fine, so I assume the Amazon version, which is still on sale for half off, doesn't have the DRM.

Reading the reviews on Amazon, it looks like their version hasn't yet been patched to work with Lollipop. Can anyone who has the game confirm this?

Edit: or if anyone bought it from the Play store and can check re: DRM, that works too. I'm not above paying a few more bucks for a functioning product.

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 9, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Also planes. Air travel is one of my biggest reasons for playing games on a tablet, especially bigger ones like ports of PC RPGs or console ports like FF6.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I went ahead and spent the $15 bucks for the season pass. The quicktime events are a bit of a chore at times, but the story seems solid and it's a "your choices matter" sort of thing. They even go out of the way to flash stuff like "Lord Forrester will remember that" at the top of the screen when you make a choice.

I just got the game on PC and I'm really enjoying it, but yeah, the choices are pretty much entire illusion. The only thing it really affects is a few different conversation options, and at the end of each episode you're presented with a screen that compares your choices with those of others who have played ("You and 17% of other people were tremendous dicks to the farmhand!" or whatever).

Regardless I'm enjoying it, but I'm also a ASoIaF nerd, so I lap this poo poo up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Funkmaster General posted:

I really want to love3 Hearthstone, but I encounter the same issue I always do in CCG games... I just feel like I'd rather be playing Magic. This comes pretty close but the one really sticky point to me is how combat works. If my opponent can ignore my creatures to attack me directly, why would I ever run 1/1 creatures without taunt? They're essentially useless past the first three turns or so.

I was that way with Hearthstone at first, but now I really enjoy playing it on its own merits. On the surface it feels similar to MtG (MtG for Babbies or whatever people say), but once you start playing it more and more, it has its own intricacies and eccentricities that set it apart and make me really enjoy it for the separate game it is.
It also seriously helps once you've unlocked all the basic cards for a given hero (by getting them to level ten), opening a pack or two, and then start building your own decks. The very basic cards you get by default are generally pretty boring and can understandably make someone feel like this is a shallow game.

That, and there's no MtG analog to what Hearthstone offers as a gaming experience on PC and mobile. Sure, there's the Duels of the Planeswalkers games, but 2015 was railroady and awful, and MtG Online costs (a lot of) real money and is probably awful for players who are new to the game.

Edit: I feel like they've done some optimization of the Android port in the last update or two. It runs much smoother on my 2013 N7, the only real exception is during the initial loading screen.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 19, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shwqa posted:

Here is a little beginner hearthstone guide I post on the iOS gaming thread.

Can you post links to those budget decks you mentioned? I'm googling for stuff like "mech Mage" and getting like 20 different decks with that description.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FillInTheBlank posted:

There is Hex: Shards of Fate
http://hextcg.com/

Er, you know I was specifically talking about MtG, right? My point was that there are MtG video games, but they're generally not great (okay, Planeswalkers 2014 was fine, but it doesn't give you the "TCG" experience like MtG: Real Life Edition gives you)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FredMSloniker posted:

Regarding the lack of Civ games on Android: is it worth mentioning Freeciv?

The game itself is fine, but the UI is atrocious on a tablet and there's no explanation for what buttons do what in the game. If you're already pretty familiar with playing Freeciv in a browser it's probably okay, but not really ideal.

I'd play the crap out of it if they just made it more tablet-friendly though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Man, now I really wish Puzzle Pirates were on Android :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mega Comrade posted:

Not well. Mame is a different beast and the extra cores of the pi2 don't help run it right.

Anything up to N64 is fine though. With N64 it depends on the game but I hear a little overclocking smooths things out nicely.

MAME itself is complicated, but Final Burn Alpha runs all of my Neo Geo / some other arcade cabinet stuff perfectly with only mild overclocking.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

I've had mixed. I loved FF6 on mobile but I just can't get through FF5. FF4 was good but it was slow. They all play well but yeah I get that too.

Just note that they all require an internet connection in order to play them, so you're screwed if you're on a plane or travelling abroad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

tater_salad posted:

Looks like you are the biggest human being ever for making me think poo poo was on sale...

Don't do this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So is someone gonna make a Pocket Mine thread?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nexus6 posted:

I wish there was a demo/trial version of Knights of Pen & Paper because it's been in my wishlist for a while but I have no idea what the game is like.

It's on the $1 tier of the current Humble Bundle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Segmentation Fault posted:

Youll want to check out Google Opinion Rewards. Every so often Google will send you a short survey, you fill it out, and they give you some credit to spend in the Play Store.

I was skeptical about this for the longest time until I downloaded it two weeks ago. In that time I've accrued like $2.60 of free money to spend on apps / IAP, so it's great and only takes like 10 seconds to do a survey, if that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

2) Are there any good Grog-lite kind of games on android? Like Close Combat, Unity of Command, or those like?

The best you'll find are the John Tiller games (Panzer Command and Quang Tri '72 are the free ones, try both of those out). The interface is pretty bad but I spent half a flight running through the PzC tutorial missions and it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

I'd kill for Unity of Command on Android though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mrkillboy posted:

For everyone wishing that they could play a Star Trek match 3 game: Star Trek - Wrath of Gems (from the same folks who brought you that Forrest Gump endless runner).

Why is it that Trek games since like 2004 are required to be awful? :smith:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hasn't Star Trek been some level of awful since around then? Voyager and DS9 were done, the movies were great action flicks but missed the mark on what made the show inspirational... Enterprise? (Never watched it.)

Enterprise was just thoroughly mediocre. The last good Trek game were around the time of Elite Force, so early 2000s. Since then it's just been crap.

And there's never been a good mobile game with the license -- now it seems like CBS is going the Games Workshop route and just letting any fly-by-night mobile developer have access to the IP to make a quick buck.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

New Leaf posted:

From the sheer look of the visuals, Sproggiwood looks like something I'd enjoy. Not that I'm into cutesy looking games, but I get frustrated easily with hardcore roguelikes, and I've had my eye on Sproggi on Steam for a while. If I can get it on my tablet and phone to play at the office, I'll call it a win.

And its made by a goon, so you can get a good feel when playing it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Private Speech posted:

OpenTTD has come a long way. I remember it as this clunky port like freeciv, but nowadays it absolutely rocks. Full support for desktop saves, mods, multiplayer and a pretty good android UI. What more do you want.

OpenTTD is stellar on an actual PC/laptop, but I've heard people say the Android port is pretty sub-par, mainly in that the controls are clunky. Is this just outdated info, or has it gotten better?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Private Speech posted:

It's a little better. It's still a bit clunky on a small screen phone, but you can change the resolution and button size to make it work. It's certainly a lot better than I remember it being 2 years ago or so.

I'm on a Nexus 7 so maybe I'll give it a whirl. About the only thing I can see being really annoying on a tablet would be managing signals.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 26, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I just got 10000000 (I'm late to the party) and goddamn is it fun. And frustrating. And really hard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

vulturesrow posted:

So torn on FFT. I have FFT on my PS1 that I still bust out from time to time. I also have the DS version. Based on that alone you would think it's a no brainer but I'm worried it might be a lovely port. Need some more goon reviews, stat.

In general the War of the Lions PSP version (which this is the port of) is really great. Then again I didn't play FFT back when it was new, so I lack that nostalgia context.

It objectively has a far better English localization than the original, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Wow, OP was not kidding about that Final Fantasy Tactics port. Everything is strangely accelerated yet the framerate is choppy, sound quality is odd and the controls are very frustrating, though that could just be screen size. Thank god the play shop offers refunds.

Out of curiosity, are you playing on a phone or tablet?

Not saying you're doing this, but I find half of the time reviews on Google Play are tainted with people who honestly expect Just Released Game to run on like a 4 year old mobile phone (or that a PC port plays shittily on a phone-sized screen.. who knew?!)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, I got Pinball Arcade the other day just to see what was out there, and to my surprise, it actually has Addam's Family! God-drat! I thought that Raul Julia's estate was pretty firm on their stance to never let anyone have the rights to distribute that again.

I'm so happy io get to play my favorite pinball game again, even if it is just an emulated software one on a tiny screen. (Though the local barcade near me has the real version, but that gets expensive...also, "local" is like 40 minutes away.)

It was one of their major Kickstarters I think, to secure the license for the table (another one is the ST:TNG board, which is amazing and awesome and is the only reason why I got the app, because I played the hell out of that table as a kid).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dr.Caligari posted:

Has anyone spent money on Pinball Arcade? There table list is impressive, and I had a blast with the free one, but I'm not sure it's worth $4.99 per table.

I dropped $4.99 for the ST:TNG table since I loved it in my youth, and I didn't regret it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mrkillboy posted:

Star Wars: Uprising is out in soft launch in a few territories (:australia: for one). Its a dungeon crawler in the same vein as Marvel Future Fight, set between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. It should be out worldwide in the lead up to the new film.

Goddamnit it's not in Europe either. :(

Anyone know how decent it is?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Morter posted:

Okay so I suddenly got the itching for a cardbuilder game...but the only cardbuilder game I've ever played is Pokemon TCG for the gameboy...and it's mostly what I want.

That said, are there any single player game where you build decks against AI, and get rewarded with drops--or currency to buy booster packs? The only game I know like that is Card City Nights but...I'm not the hugest fan of that.

Calculords, or Hearthstone if you only play the PvE content I guess. Scrolls would have been fine but yeah, it's sadly closing down next year.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

tentacles posted:

In other Warhammer news, 40K's Space Wolf is finally out for non-Apple whores. Played through a couple missions, I guess you could call it a fusion of Hearthstone, X-Com and Blood Bowl.

Also it's free, so there's that for broke-rear end goons!

That thing made my Nexus 7 burn like hell.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

New Humble Mobile Bundle is Games Workshop stuff... at least a couple of which is already f2p to begin with? (Space Wolf is f2p and Warhammer: the App is a free advertising app).

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

And Star Wars Commander is real good too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ape Agitator posted:

Any strongly objective based Match 3 suggestions? Like clear such and such specific tiles to progress? Perhaps drop the such and such to the bottom of the screen. The only score attack Match 3 I really fell in love with was Treasures of Montezuma 3 and I don't think 4 is available yet.

You Must Build A Boat provides you with 2 specific objectives during each run, and has been my go-to poopgame of choice for the past couple months.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mrkillboy posted:

Star Wars: Uprising should be out for everyone now.

So is it any good?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I've got several flights and business trips coming up for pretty much all of October, two of them transatlantic. I need some kind of game to keep me occupied on the flight with my Nexus 7. It needs to be ideally something that I can sink hours into without needing internet access (either because the app can't phone home, or I won't be able to look up wiki's without a data connection).

My first thought would have been the Beamdog enhanced editions of Baldurs Gate 1/2 and Icewind Dale, but those are all games I already own on Steam and would rather play there. Same with the Shadowrun games and Xcom.

I've got 8 bucks of Google Survey credit sitting on my account. Anyone have anything else they'd recommend for an 11 hour flight?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

big mean giraffe posted:

I can't verify it doesn't need an internet connection but there's always Knights of the Old Republic.

Played it like four times completely through (once already on tablet) :smith:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ragequit posted:

I would sure hope Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't phone home, so that might be an easy choice you can sink plenty of hours in.

Unfortunately all of the Square FF games do, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Foxhound posted:

Are there any decent management/sim games for Android that don't have IAP/artificial time gating? Something like the Kairosoft games but on a bigger scale and with more depth.

Fiz is quite good with no microtransactions. Pay once and you've got the entire thing.